cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$15 Plan

Polarbear
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have just registered with the $15, - plan.

Is local texting allowed and free for this plan?

34 REPLIES 34

@webhead888- The only notification required from the company is to put these changes on the plans page. That could be your notice. I suspect it's in error. But realize your rights. They're quite limited in prepaid.

webhead888
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anyone noticed the "Unlimited Incoming Calls" has been deleted from this Plan.

When did this happen?

I never got a notification of this Plan Feature change/deletion.

Check your Account Details.

@Anonymous wrote:

I might have a glimmer of memory of being able to dial less than 7 digits locally though. Or not.

I remember that, too. We had to dial 7 digits. You might remember it as fewer because the first digit was always the same for everyone you called. Ten million unique phone numbers aren't needed in cities with populations of ten thousands.

@Anonymous wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk : So is this 20 questions to narrow down an approximate age range? 🙂 Not that old. The two letter prefixes were before my time. I might have a glimmer of memory of being able to dial less than 7 digits locally though. Or not.

Lol...no.  

We in the mid 70s lived in a small farming community, Pitt Meadows, and was all the 465 exchange so we only had, for our area, to dial the last 4 digits. In my early years we had the newer Elgin exchange. ALL phones then had a number and 3 letters......but a letter only equated to the number. 

Oh....but “20 questions” is a phrase if the past. As is chop chop. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CountyDownIeUk : So is this 20 questions to narrow down an approximate age range? 🙂 Not that old. The two letter prefixes were before my time. I might have a glimmer of memory of being able to dial less than 7 digits locally though. Or not.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@HALIMACS : A long time ago in a land far far away I came from the south coast of BC. You could barely call across to the other side of the next 'burb next door. Now that same "local" area is from the east side all the way over to what is called the Sunshine Coast.

Oh.....giving the age again. 

@Anonymous 

Elgin or Fraser prefix?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 : Yet I can type + 1 voip # to text and it goes through too. Thus the idea of just having all contacts have +1 for being able to dial and text from wherever.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 : That was an interesting tidbit that I had to try. Indeed. Call my voip # without the 1 and I get the recording saying long distance charges may apply. Text my voip # and it simply goes through.

Thanks.

btw...great job on all your efforts removing redundant posts. Still some question about dumping things to the lounge or disappearing altogether but great job nonetheless. Thought I would say something nice to an Oracle. See...it can be done. 🙂

Not everyone will agree with every decision. I understand that.  

A customer needing a 1 before the area code of a Canadian phone number to send a text message would be bug (it's not supposed to be that way).  Then again, some customers have also experienced a simiilar bug when calling phone numbers within the same lcoal calling area.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

There actually isn't such thing as a lcoal or long distance text mesage.  Local and long distance is a calling thing relating to local callng areas. Text messages only go by countries, although that isn't a factor as long as you're not on one of Public Mobile's old plans that only included text messaging to Canada.

@computergeek541 : That was an interesting tidbit that I had to try. Indeed. Call my voip # without the 1 and I get the recording saying long distance charges may apply. Text my voip # and it simply goes through.

Thanks.

btw...great job on all your efforts removing redundant posts. Still some question about dumping things to the lounge or disappearing altogether but great job nonetheless. Thought I would say something nice to an Oracle. See...it can be done. 🙂

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Polarbear   Yes, you  have unlimited international text with this plan.  Just start texting a lot  🙂

I think that the OP asking again for confirmation has to do more with Public Mobile's inaccurate choice of words advertised in on the plan detail pages. As you know sending a text message from Canada to a Canadian phone number isn't international.  Public Mobile clearly means global, but instead, the use of the term "international" has confused some customers for years.

@Polarbear wrote:

Thank you Community , inserting a 1 in front of the area code resolved my issue.😄

I'm happy that you got your text messaging working. Howveer, that shouldn't have made a difference.  When sending a text message to someone with a phone number that also uses a country code of 1, Public Mobile customers do not need to use 1 or +1.  There actually isn't such thing as a lcoal or long distance text mesage.  Local and long distance is a calling thing relating to local callng areas. Text messages only go by countries, although that isn't a factor as long as you're not on one of Public Mobile's old plans that only included text messaging to Canada.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@VIP_Tech 

1 or +1 .... what is the difference?

When calling from Canada, there is no difference, other than needing to press an extra button.  As you know, 1 is the country code for calling Canada, the U.S., and some Carribean countries.  

For consistency, I would also points that that + can be used instead of 011.  011 isn't wrong for calling to countries that don't use a country code of 1, but when various companies are providing their contact informaton, most companies will simply show the number of +(country code) followed by rest of the numbers that need to be dialed. Incorrectly using 011 when it isn't needed would cause some outoging calls to fail.

@VIP_Tech 

1 or +1 .... what is the difference?

@HALIMACS 

Why not +1?

@Anonymous wrote:

@HALIMACS : A long time ago in a land far far away I came from the south coast of BC. You could barely call across to the other side of the next 'burb next door. Now that same "local" area is from the east side all the way over to what is called the Sunshine Coast.

Oh.....giving the age again. 

@Polarbear 

All Public Mobile plans - including the $15 plan - have unlimited SMS texts and unlimited MMS (photo) attachments.

Doesn't matter if the texts are sent to another room, another city, another province, another country. And it doesn't matter where received texts were sent from.

There were some legacy plans which had limits on texting. Including an older version of the $15 plan. Some subscribers might still be hanging onto their legacy plans. But limited texting plans haven't been offered to new customers for years.

Note that you'll have to have your device's APN settings configured for Public Mobile if you want to access cellular data. MMS messages are sent/received across cellular data, they don't work across wifi, though they are "unlimited" at Public Mobile because they don't use up any of your provisioned data. You'll see each MMS reported on Self-Serve as an "MMS Event" which consumes 0.000MB of billable data.

Also note that some texting apps offer extended features beyond standard SMS/MMS protocols. iMessage is notorious for this. They will use your data instead of your "unlimited texts (and attachments)" unless you go into their settings and enable standard protocols or disable enhanced protocols.

@Anonymous   😲

In my neck of the 'woods', 30km in any direction is still local. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I get it @Anonymous -  good point.

My contacts all have 1, then the number, just to avoid the aforementioned boundaries.  

However, local to me still means in the same town/city.   You know, like one can walk or take a cab or transit there...

Perhaps not to others.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : Some people think close proximity should mean local. It doesn't. It's about the area code and prefix. Those still hold on to the old landline definition. So with the ubiquity of Canada-wide these days...just add the 1.

Your initial inquiry asked about "local" texting --- you shouldn't need to insert a 1 in front of the number if texting to a local recipient.

Either way @Polarbear , glad you got it sorted!!!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Polarbear 

Yes you can text or call friends or family in Canada but remember to add 1 in front of the area code.

Also, you have 100 minutes of outgoing calls and unlimited incoming calls so I would suggest you text your friends and family to call you for free unlimited incoming calling. 😉

Polarbear

Thank you Community , inserting a 1 in front of the area code resolved my issue.😄

@Polarbear wrote:

Thank you, when I enter someone's mobile telephone number I am getting  a response of "invalid recipient"

@Polarbear  - are you sure you are dialing correctly?

If yes, turn your phone off for a couple minutes, then restart it up.

Try it again.

If this is only one person with an issue, ensure others can call them. Also, delete them from your contacts completely, then readd them as a new contact.

@Polarbear   Try toggling airplane mode on/off and restart your phone.   Have you been able to text before activating with PM?

@Polarbear wrote:

Thank you, when I enter someone's mobile telephone number I am getting  a response of "invalid recipient"

Hi @Polarbear 

How you enter the number ?

and you sure you using text and not iMessage or RCS?

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Polarbear 

your plan include texting anywhere in Canada and International for free.

Canada/U.S Add (+1 or 1 ) in front of the any area code,
International Add ( 011 ) in front of the any area code,

Polarbear

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Polarbear   Yes, you  have unlimited international text with this plan.  Just start texting a lot  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.