cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process of porting to Koodo using migration offers

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Lots of discussion around migrating to Koodo using their latest offer.  I had question regarding the process of porting your number when using one of these offers.

When you receive the new Koodo SIM, does that SIM have a temporary number from Koodo, and then you have to port your PM number over to it?  Or does Koodo somehow automatically port your PM number over to the new Koodo SIM?

4 REPLIES 4

@JDT wrote:

Lots of discussion around migrating to Koodo using their latest offer.  I had question regarding the process of porting your number when using one of these offers.

When you receive the new Koodo SIM, does that SIM have a temporary number from Koodo, and then you have to port your PM number over to it?  Or does Koodo somehow automatically port your PM number over to the new Koodo SIM?

You're given a temporary number.  When you order online, these sim cards are often activated before you even receive it (and you're even paying for the service before you even receive your phone and/or sim card order, but I'm sure Koodo customer service will adjust those charges if the package takes more than a couple of days to arrive).  Since the sim cards are (usually) active while in the mail (or with the courier/shipping company), Koodo must activate these services with a temporary phone number.  They can't just activate with and port your number over to Koodo (and make it so that you don't have a working phone).  That would be irresponsible of them. 

I did order from Koodo in the past for a migration offer but ended up backing out, but I can tell you that even if you tell the online system during ordering that you will be porting a number in, that doesn't happen until after you receive your sim card, set up an online account, and then otherwise tell Koodo to start the number portability process.  You should be fine, unless Koodo does something silly with your order to mess it up.

But as mentioned by Luddite, you could always tell the online order system that you want a new phone number. Then, port in later after everything is all set.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@JDT When you activate, it will ask you to get a new number or port in. So it is always best to select a new number and port in later. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JDT

If you activate the migration plan online, it take time to delivery your new Koodo SIM card to you.  It is better to get a Koodo number first.  When you get your SIM card, you can test the Koodo service first before porting your PM number over.

If you want to get it done quickly, you can go to a store to port your PM number and get a Koodo SIM card right away.

Please note that there is a $30 connection fee if you activate at store.  There is no conection fee charge if you activate online. 

Therefore, activate in store if your PM plan renewal date is within a week, it is better to pay the $30 connection fee instead of paying your 120 days renewal amount that you cannot get the refund from PM.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@JDT wrote:

Safest is to open the account with a new number and port once you are certain everything is fine.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.