cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Is Public Mobile's LTE throttled vs Telus/Koodo? Who here has the fastest Public Mobile speed?

It does seem to be a bit slower than Telus (my previous carier) but for the value we get with PM - no complaints at all!

IMG_0040.PNG

gmd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Is Public Mobile's LTE throttled vs Telus/Koodo? Who here has the fastest Public Mobile speed?

I just switched a phone from Koodo prepaid to PM, and we can see a difference on speedtest...

Effect in real life: should be next to nil...

On the other hand, a speed test on Koodo prepaid is expensive Smiley Happy

I have been doing speed test on a site with that name & .net at the end of it and I have gotten varied results on 4g the speeds are very slow depending upon the server it pings buy on LTE the speeds are pretty good!
Just now it was on LTE and it gave these stats 37 DL and 3 UL.
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I finally managed to do some testing with a Bell SIM and PM SIM during off-peak hours under excellent signal conditions (SINR 25+ dB) with the tower unloaded.

AMBR value is not the issue. It is set to 1 Gbps downlink for both Bell and PM subscribers. However, DL speeds are consistenly lower on PM.

I used the same phone, 5 speedtests with Bell using 3 different servers, followed by 4 speedtests with PM, using the same 3 servers. eNodeB (tower) usage was very close to zero at all times. I verified this but cannot share the screenshot on a public forum.

Here are the AMBR confirmations:

Bell-signal.jpgPM-signal.jpg

Here are the speed test results:

Bell-speed.jpgPM-speed.jpg

This was tested on a site with B2 + B4 CA, which the phone supports and was verified active for all tests. I don't have a Telus SIM to compare, so I can't be sure if this is strictly a PM issue, or all Telus subscribers. What is clear from this test is that there is definitely a limitation for PM users at the very least (possibly all Telus users). Either way, the issue is with Telus, and not Bell.

@sheytoon Great information, thanks! Out of curiosity, where were these speed tests performed? 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

In the Toronto area near a site that I like to use for testing.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If I remember correctly, Bell is the only carrier right now that had three carrier aggregation (Max speed 335 Mbps). Rogers and Telus are still using two carrier aggregation (Max speed 225 Mbps).

This is what I got at pearson airport using Public Mobile

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2464912397

It says Telus, but I am using Public Mobile.

If they throttles, then not sure what speed they throttled at...

Oracle

@sheytoon  wow I wish I could get those speeds. my best with PM  is 12.2 up and 7.3 download here in Victoria

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sheytoon

This definitely looks like 4G speed VS 4G+ speed...

Did Bell get LTE-Advance already, but not telus?