cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance

Shakty
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!!

Does Public Mobile provide an insurance to cover damage/stealing/loss? Ex paid every month?

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Reminds me of what happened with a TV extended warranty a few years back (okay probably a decade or so ago now actually--wow).  I had bought a beautiful Sony SXRD TV from Future Shop.  It cost around $4,700 at the time if I remember correctly, and that was a boxing day sale price.  Purchased the extended warranty because why wouldn't I want more protection right?  Well turns out it develped an issue about 13 months after purchase, so outside Sony's 1 year coverage.  Long story short the extended warranty people determined it would be too expensive to fix and declared it a loss.  Okay great so I'll get a new one, right?  Not so fast. They don't make them any more.  Alright, so I'll get something equivalent (my TV was **bleep** near the top of the line at time of purchase).  Well, no.  We will give you the final sale price of the unit when it was discontinued, which was I believe around $2,400 or something ridiculous like that, toward a TV of your choice.  So basically this warranty I paid many hundreds of dollars for (I forget exactly how much that part was but it wasn't cheap) only paid out a fraction of what I paid for the TV when I needed to use it.  I ended up ponying up a little extra and got a $2,600 DLP rear projector and it was a decent TV but not nearly as nice.  I was very disappointed, and now pretty much universally turn down extended warranty on electronics.  It's just not really worth it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jjhack84

Most of the protection plans (not allowed to call it insurance at bell) do cover lost, stolen, damage, etc. However, it is all handled through a 3rd party called assurion. With the monthly coverage plan, you still need to pay a fee to actually use it (similar to a deductable).

Personally, I used to tell people that for the first 6 months it would be worth while. Afterwards remove it from your plan. 

Another thing to consider it that your now getting a new phone back. You will be getting a refurbished phone back.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Shakty

I don't believe any cell phone provider offers theft or loss type of coverage, only manufacturers would provide damage related coverage (but even that's limited unless you purchase an extended warranty).  PM does not sell phones, so if you lost a phone you won't have the ability to do a phone upgrade like other providers.  PM only provides cell service, hardware you're on your own.  

However, regarding stolen or lost phones, you should look into your credit card company, many credit cards offer warranties and coverages on personal items including lost property while on vacation, I know my credit card does.  Also, if you currently have home insurance or tenant insurance, many insurance companies offer coverage for lost/stolen personal property as well.  Only thing is to double check the deductible because sometimes it's not worth it to make a claim for a cell phone.

brenwilliams80
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

With a background in the banking industry, I suggest you check the terms of any credit card purchase protection very closely. Most do not cover damage or loss, nor any electronics at all. Buyer beware 🙂

No, but some credit card companies offer protection against loss, damage, or theft.  This would depend on the type of card you have, and the phone would have had to have been purchasrd new from an authorizrd retailer.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I never understood the concept of getting phone insurance other than to make money for the insurer.  I have always insured against look that I can't afford to replace without help.  These days with home insurance becoming borderline unaffordable, I am beginning to challenge that approach.  If there's a phone out there that is too precious to warrant the consideration of insurance, then it's not affordable to me, never mind the insurance premium on it.  No discussion on insurance is complete without touching the topic of life insurance.  Who can afford to insure this most precious commodity for full replacement value?  /Discussion.

Generally speaking, getting these extra extended insurance does not save money for the consumer.  It is usually a win-win for the store or company.  Most new phones have their own warranty and if you buy with specific credit cards,  might get extra one year coverage.  Just take care of your new phone, get a case, screen protector and most of the time, you should be just fine.  

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As PM doesn't sell phones there's no insurance options available from them.

You might want to check stores where phones are sold and see what options they have, or even the phone manufacturers themselves. Oh, and if you buy using a credit card it might give you some warranty provisions too.

jjhack84

If you purchase a phone direct from the manufacturer they tend to offer a protection plan. I know this is the case with apple, Google and samsung. It is such a great cash grab that I would be surprised if the others don't offer it.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

No.

Need Help? Let's chat.