cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Mobile to Launch All-New Plans

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Freedom Mobile to Launch All-New Plans Oct. 19, Such as $50/10GB and More

Freedom Mobile is set to launch new ‘Big Gig’, ‘Home’ and ‘Everywhere Canada’ plans this week on October 19,
according to internal documents seen by iPhone in Canada. The ‘Big Gig’ plans include plenty
of data within Home networks, while Everywhere Canada plans include U.S. long distance and text.

All ‘Big Gig’ plans have $0.05/minute calling within Canada and the U.S., but there’s bonus data for a limited time. SMS and MMS are unlimited within Canada, U.S. and to International numbers. All the usual extras like Voicemail+, Call Control, etc are included.

Big Gig

$50/month: 12GB data (8GB + 4GB bonus) within Home; 250MB within Away
$70/month: 15GB data (8GB + 7GB bonus) within Home; 500MB within Away
$90/month: 20GB data (12GB + 8GB bonus) within Home; 1GB within Away
‘Everywhere Canada’ plans all include unlimited Canada-wide calling and unlimited calls to the U.S. within Home zones, while 2400 minutes are included in Away zones. Global SMS/MMS is included, as well as the usual extras like Voicemail+, Call Control, etc.

Everywhere Canada

$50/month: 5GB (4GB + 1GB bonus) within Home; 250MB within Away
$60/month: 10GB (6GB + 4GB bonus) within Home; 500MB within Away
$75/month: 12GB (9GB + 3GB bonus) within Home; 1GB within Away
$100/month: 20GB (15GB + 5GB bonus) within Home; 1GB within Away
Meanwhile, ‘Home’ plans include limited talk and data allotments, starting at $25 per month. They have the usual extras like Voicemail+, Call Control, etc. The starter $25 plan does not have an option for data or U.S. long distance and talk and text.

Previous ‘Everywhere’ plans included U.S. data in Away zones, but these new plans don’t.

Home

$25/month: 250 Canada-wide minutes ($0.15/min overages); $0.15/minute U.S. calling; unlimited SMS/MMS in Canada; $0.05/text International, $1.00/MMS International
$30/month: unlimited Canada-wide calling; unlimited SMS/MMS in Canada; $0.05/text International, $1.00/MMS International; 250MB data
$40/month: unlimited Canada-wide calling; $0.05/min calling to U.S.; unlimited global SMS/MMS; 2GB data; Eligible for Better Together Savings
Earlier this afternoon, Freedom Mobile confirmed they will be selling the iPhone, with a launch set for a future date.

What do you think about these new plans coming this week?

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/freedom-mobile-new-plans-oct-19/

40 REPLIES 40

Wonder_why

@Michael77 wrote:

@Wonder_why,

You have cell phone service with FM and PM?

Yup @Michael77 FM on S8+ and PM on Note 4 but dumped FM now, switch S8+ to PM

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Wonder_why,

You have cell phone service with FM and PM?

Wonder_why

FM might be ready by Spring 2018 LTE Network for the rest of Ontario, stilled hit and missed now, so I ditch it, even I have FF code for 8GB Data with the works for $44 tax in

Michael77

@majsiddiqui wrote:

So I went over to Freedom Mobile kiosk over at the Toronto Eaton Centre to test the iPhone 8 Plus on LTE. The iPhone 8 had full bars, so I was pleased to see that.  The first thing I did was attempt to speed test, but since the device did not have the app installed, and the desktop version did not allow me to test, I had no choice but to browse some websites.  In my opinion, the LTE did not seem as fast as I had thought.  And when I made a test call to Pizza Pizza (I always call them for test calls :)), the connection changed to 3G (as it does for PM users also).  However, I was not expecting the call to go on 3G since their website claims they support VoLTE (Voice over LTE).  The store rep was also surprised to see that happen.

The disappointing part was when I ended the call, and it took a long time (approx. 3-4 minutes) to move from 3G to LTE.  I was browsing the Internet on 3G for a long time. I went in Settings -> Carrier, and then I saw LTE appear.

The store rep said that even the 3G is fast, and while I was able to load pages at a moderate speed, it was not like how my iPhone 6S was loading on PM LTE network. I mean I loaded the Apple website and I did not even wait for it to load, it just appeared on my screen.  So I was happy to see that. And, I had full bars on the PM LTE.

For someone like myself who always wants to see 'LTE' next to the bars, I am having second thoughts of moving over to Freedom Mobile.

I have been spoiled by Telus/PM's LTE network connection, that I cannot see myself going back to slow speeds.

@majsiddiqui,

Thanks for the update. Very thorough. 🙂

@majsiddiqui Browser based speed test speedof.me  Fine most of the time but is unhappy behind Rogers home routers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

majsiddiqui
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So I went over to Freedom Mobile kiosk over at the Toronto Eaton Centre to test the iPhone 8 Plus on LTE. The iPhone 8 had full bars, so I was pleased to see that.  The first thing I did was attempt to speed test, but since the device did not have the app installed, and the desktop version did not allow me to test, I had no choice but to browse some websites.  In my opinion, the LTE did not seem as fast as I had thought.  And when I made a test call to Pizza Pizza (I always call them for test calls :)), the connection changed to 3G (as it does for PM users also).  However, I was not expecting the call to go on 3G since their website claims they support VoLTE (Voice over LTE).  The store rep was also surprised to see that happen.

The disappointing part was when I ended the call, and it took a long time (approx. 3-4 minutes) to move from 3G to LTE.  I was browsing the Internet on 3G for a long time. I went in Settings -> Carrier, and then I saw LTE appear.

The store rep said that even the 3G is fast, and while I was able to load pages at a moderate speed, it was not like how my iPhone 6S was loading on PM LTE network. I mean I loaded the Apple website and I did not even wait for it to load, it just appeared on my screen.  So I was happy to see that. And, I had full bars on the PM LTE.

For someone like myself who always wants to see 'LTE' next to the bars, I am having second thoughts of moving over to Freedom Mobile.

I have been spoiled by Telus/PM's LTE network connection, that I cannot see myself going back to slow speeds.

@majsiddiqui Freedoms biggest issue is network congestion

Pricing has always been good (although I think new Big Gig plans are far worse than what they offered over the summer)

If your phone always working is not mission critical (eg job or emergency use) then most people can quietly suffer with poor service to save a couple dollars

I would point out to you though that big3 pricing (Telus/Rogers/Bell) usually ends up being cheaper than Freedom (or Public) where multiple lines and large data pools are concerned

In most cases hardware discounts are better as well (although Freedom has a very nice discount on new iPhones hoping to get some activations)

Michael77

@majsiddiqui,

Please report back to us about your Freedom Mobile experience.  Thanks. 🙂

majsiddiqui

@stonechucker, in your situation, you are better to stick with PM due to their reliable connection across. PM is great, and I appreciate the service they offer.  Even if I decide to switch to Freedom (and mainly because I want the iPhone 8 Plus), I would keep my wife and dad's account with PM.

Freedom offers a 14-day trial period, so I intend to test their services before I really decide to switch over. In the event I am not happy with their service, it's going to cost me $10 for the SIM.

Cheers,

@majsiddiqui, if this is better for you, then please take it.  Kudos to you for doing your research.

I still am not in a position to leave Public Mobile, as the services I have are far superior to what I can currently get from Freedom, and at half the cost to what I was previously paying with WIND, for more coverage, a calling and texting plan that works for me, and no in-Canada roaming fees, nor extra charges.

Will I ever go back to Freedom, I don't know.  I'd need a phone that works on the new LTE band they use, and they'd have to have better roaming agreements in Canada for me, as I live in their coverage area, but travel outside the 'home' coverage frequently.

majsiddiqui

I switched from WIND to PM last year, due to WIND poor network service.  However, now seeing the $50+ BIG DATA plans they are offering on their LTE network in Toronto Downtown, Mississauga, and surrounding areas.  With the introduction of iPhones, they and LTE upgrades in progress, they are likely to attract customers.

For someone in my position who is planning on purchasing the unlocked iPhone 8 Plus 64GB from Apple store. With taxes it comes close to $1,200. As an example, if I were to pay off this device over 2 years, it would cost me $50/month before interest. The cost of my current PM plan around $41/month (after all rewards credits and taxes), and the cost of the iPhone 8 Plus comes to around $91/month ($50 + $41).

If I swtich over to Freedom Mobile, it's going to cost me around $84.75/month (taxes in) to get an unlocked iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and the $50 plan (Big Gig 50). I would be paying off the device over 2 years. So I would be saving between $5-$6 per month by making the switch to Freedom.

I've been reviewing Freedom Mobile existing customers experience on their LTE network, and they seem to be satisfied. Since my usage is limited to Mississauga, Brampton, and stretch to Toronto Downtown area - and when I drive to Niagara Falls, I would expect a constant LTE connection.

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just noticed that with Freedom Mobile they now have 3 different types of plans. Interestingly, the "Big Gig Data" plan  does NOT include unlimited calling withing Canada (though incoming is still free).  There is a $10 option for unlimted calling to the USA, but not Canada.  

I am guess this is great for people who really want the extra data ($50 for 10GB, for example), I find it to be a very interesitng option too, though, if one is okay with using Fongo for outgoing calling.  You also have to wonder if the Big 3 will eventually follow through with similar plans.

If we're lucky, perhaps we're only a year or so away before the Big 3 start offering better deals. 

Speaking of data, somehow my Fido tablet plan got changed back in September to a talk and text plan, so once they sorted it out, I am now on a 5GB data only plan for $15/month. This includes $10 towards my tablet.  Obviously data is getting cheap in Canada, for the providers, no excuse why we can't have better offerings. 

tzliu

@will13am wrote:

Bandwidth is cheap.  This is all about increasing ARPU.  Ramp up the data bucket and give the impression of perceived value.  Given the state of Freedom's network, spending $50+ a month on any of their plans is not worth it in my opinion.  I was paying $25 a month for 5 gigs and I had to leave.  Yes, the bitterness of poor quality has remained, but I have not forgotten about the sweetness of low price.  It's just that there wasn't enough sugar coating to make the bitterness tolerable. 

Well said.  "perceived value" is not the same as "real value". 

FM these days seems to be in "re-hashing" and "re-packaging" business, shows little inclination or progress in improving its network (no wonder, FM is led by the guy who ran the former PM aground). Roaming at Wonderland?  Until its network improves, FM is forever stuck as a "second class" provider. Go with them at your own peril. 

user82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

With wifi being so ubiquitous I don't see how anyone would ever need so much data, but maybe that's just me.

lol @ the new plans launch

Two things jump out at me

1- New website is super complicated (goodbye to old one where they had nice charts comparing features side by side to make an educated decision), actually why do they have so many plans now?

2- The "Big Gig" plans are a total scam (its promo data that dissapears lol)

Fido has a better promo with their new Pulse plans if you guys are looking for alternatives (-$20 per month credit on Pulse plans AND a $0 phone)

horemans

Considering leaving PM for FM. I did grab the 50 special. 

I am in Vancouver but my usual digs are Mississauga. I have blown through two $15 long distance blocks.. so this month is quite expensive.

Likely swap my number to that $50 freedom plan.. grabbed it just before the plan changes. The big one is double the data, Canada wide, USA long distance.

Both here in Vancouver and in Mississauga as well as Toronto the FM coverage has improved tremendously. Here in West Vancouver it is impressive. Yes, I do have a band 66 phone, S8 unlocked and changed the CSC to globalive GLW so I have no issues with band 66 

Acekiller

it is always good to have more choices.

shadowbanker

Agreed, Freedom is getting out of the "no frills" catergory which is to be expected now that they are owned by Shaw. The problem is their network is nowhere near up to par with Telus, Bell, and Rogers. So while the huge bucket of data is nice to have, if you don't have the proper network to enjoy all that data on, this makes the value proposition pretty weak.

I know a number of people who joined Wind (now Freedom) because the plans are cheap. But the call quality is garbage, lots of no signal spots even in metropolitan areas, forget about making calls if you live in a condo, and most of their data network is still 3G and  congested. So I hope they become good competitors but at the end of the day all those huge data buckets are meaningless if their network is so slow to the point where even if you download 24/7 you won't reach the cap.

neilselden

Will13am: I disagree.  I think it is more like going to a buffet and not having any food there at all.

Freedom mobile = "Freedom from mobile connectivity"

Michael77

@pakmode wrote:

Their new plans are complicated - they were better off when they kept it simple. 

@pakmode,

I agree.

pakmode

Their new plans are complicated - they were better off when they kept it simple. 

MEU_21

These plans are BAD, but it does allow for promos in the future. Compared to their recently expired $50 Everywhere (8GB+1GB away) + $10 for another 3GB (i.e. $60 total), the new plans are worse than bad... horrible!

Not to mention, you can now have a $40/m Tab on top - and they did away with the $5/m Tab! OUCH!!!

I just hope this doesn't lift the pressure on the rest of the companies (PM included).

My beef is that I would need a new phone, to support their LTE system, now that it's in my area of Southern Ontario, AND, all their plans come with Canadawide calling.

I do not need a new phone (although I'm always looking for my next phone), and I don't need Canadawide calling.

PM's network as it is, works for me, where I go.  It's also less expensive because of the plan I'm on.

Michael77

I just checked out FM's promotions and in my opinion they are not very good.  Way too expensive and not as good as their previous promotions. 

wendigo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

untill they improve their network stability, I wont go back. I will still support which competition.

Michael77

@kav2001c wrote:

@MoreYummy what? how?

Away Zone is crippled now (250MB Canada and no US roaming)

These new plans are jokes, what good is 10GB when you struggle to use half of it

*edit - at those prices you would be better getting a Telus plan, forget even about Public

Shaw be smoking something in their office buildings

@MoreYummy wrote:

These new plans are better than before.  For those who can work with their network is useful.  Otherwise wait till they have better network like the above suggest.

I still can't believe these are going to be FM's future plans. 😞

@MoreYummy what? how?

Away Zone is crippled now (250MB Canada and no US roaming)

These new plans are jokes, what good is 10GB when you struggle to use half of it

*edit - at those prices you would be better getting a Telus plan, forget even about Public

Shaw be smoking something in their office buildings

@MoreYummy wrote:

These new plans are better than before.  For those who can work with their network is useful.  Otherwise wait till they have better network like the above suggest.

paulie

Might it be possible... in the future, that these plans being launched would be discounted on Black Friday or Boxing Day ?    Or other Promo ?     

@zhadj030 wrote:

I tend to agree with everyone here , the new prices are just horrible. Never thought I would see a 100 $ /month plan on freedom. I wonder how many of that will be actually usable . 

They tried to get nearly that before at launch.  They tried to charge $45 just for talk and text with data being an extra $35 (I think).  That didn't get them anywhere.  Except now, people expect more for their money, yet Freedom is trying to collect more per month than at company launch.

Need Help? Let's chat.