cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

3g, 4g or LTE?

I am new PM user from Oakville Ontario. I have activated the service today using my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7. Regrettably, after the activation, I found that my phone informing me that I connected to 3g and not to LTE service. Speed Test have shown the download speed around 9Mbps and upload around 1.2Mbps. Network Signal Info App shows me that I connected to HSPA+ and not LTE service. I traveled on QEW from Trafalgar Rd to 3rd Line but nothing changed... HSPA+ and very slow Speed Test Results. Does Public Mobile provide real LTE signal everywhere and in particular in Oakville?

Thank you for your answers in advanced!

Tags (2)
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: 3g, 4g or LTE?

Hi @victorbell

PM provides LTE services in Canada. Make sure you have correct APN setting.  

For Android phone:

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,supl,mms,dun

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Than you for your replay!

My APN settings looks perfectly fine....

Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: blank
Port: blank
Username:blank
Password:blank
Server:blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type:blank

APN Type:internet+mms

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you go into your Settings => Mobile Networks => Network Mode, what option is enabled? You should have an LTE/WCDMA/GSM(Auto Connect) option and it should be checked. If you don't have an option with LTE in it, please give us the model number of your phone.

Thanks.

The Problem that under Network Mode I have just WCDMA+GSM(auto connect) mode. The model is SM-G930W8 

Oracle

This ref helped someone else: S7 Data

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I go to oakville often and I always have LTE coverage. It must be an apn setting for you. I have an iphone so mine is set automatically 

Thank you Luddite! Use the 4G LTE Switch app. Everythin looks normal right now. May be very useful for new customers that come from Wind Network. 

Thank you again!

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@victorbell What carrier were you with before you ported over? Wind?

I checked your model number and it looks like your phone supports all the right frequencies for LTE coverage. However, depending on which carrier you were with before, the firmware might have the LTE option removed in software.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/compatibility/9YqWiAl/samsung-sm-g930w8-galaxy-s7-td-lte-samsung-hero...

If this is the case, you will have to follow @Luddite's guide to turn it on manually, but the downside is the setting is lost on reboot. @Luddite@ Great find

Any other method to have LTE show up in the menus, so you don't have to manually change it all the time, would most likely result in a factory reset (you will lose the information and settings on the phone).