cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Get 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text for $60!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 11, 2019: This plan is now expired.

Hey Community,

Say hello to Summer :)! We’ve got the perfect plan for anyone headed state-side this Summer. For a limited time only, effective July 19th, 2019, you could get 8.5 GB of Canada Wide data, plus 2 GB of US Data Roaming, and Unlimited US roaming/Canada US Talk & Text for $60/mo! 

Plan details:

$60 for 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of Canada-wide data at 3G speed + 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text - You could talk and text as much as you like from Canada to the U.S., and vice versa! 
  • Additional 2 GB of US data roaming
  • International text included in both Canada + U.S.
  • New and current customers are eligible

How this plan works:

Making a call to someone in Canada

Making a call to someone outside of Canada

In Canada

Included

Only U.S. included 

In U.S.

Included

Only U.S. included

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$60 unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

380 REPLIES 380

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@maheshboloor wrote:

@torontokris I sincerely apologize if my post was rude. I went back and read my comment and the tone was not polite at all. So sorry. I totally agree abouth healthcare and other benefits Canad provides. I just feel like cellphone/carrier plans can do much better. Since i lived in the US, thats my point of reference when i pay for phone bills here.

No worries at all - all is good. I agree with you that prices are high. Just from an macro ecomonist view I have to look at the "whole" picture.

But yes prices are too high - not enough compitition (3-4 companies only) - CRTC rules etc - also supply/demand - Canadians will pay it - some pay $100+ a month to get a new iphone etc.

maheshboloor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@torontokris wrote:

@maheshboloor wrote:

@torontokris wrote:

@maheshboloor wrote:

@dickwong wrote:

Is the competitive enough?  There are so many plans BYOP available in the market with 4G speed and more allowance AND with live peraon CS support...

@dickwong 

@torontokris I believe the discussion was purely on cellphone plans and nothin to do with healthcare. We can argue about different costs and can take up the whole forum. 

The discussion was on how cheap cell phones plans are in the US... and I made my comments that ill happily pay the cell phone plan ($29) and get free healthcare & cheap university education (compared to the USA). 

I understand if that doesnt help your cause/prove your point.. sorry about that! 

This forum is also about one specific plan... discussing overall cell phone prices vs the USA  would also "take up the whole forum. " as well

@torontokris I sincerely apologize if my post was rude. I went back and read my comment and the tone was not polite at all. So sorry. I totally agree abouth healthcare and other benefits Canad provides. I just feel like cellphone/carrier plans can do much better. Since i lived in the US, thats my point of reference when i pay for phone bills here.

torontokris

@maheshboloor wrote:

@torontokris wrote:

@maheshboloor wrote:

@dickwong wrote:

Is the competitive enough?  There are so many plans BYOP available in the market with 4G speed and more allowance AND with live peraon CS support...

@dickwong 

@torontokris I believe the discussion was purely on cellphone plans and nothin to do with healthcare. We can argue about different costs and can take up the whole forum. 

The discussion was on how cheap cell phones plans are in the US... and I made my comments that ill happily pay the cell phone plan ($29) and get free healthcare & cheap university education (compared to the USA). 

I understand if that doesnt help your cause/prove your point.. sorry about that! 

This forum is also about one specific plan... discussing overall cell phone prices vs the USA  would also "take up the whole forum. " as well

maheshboloor

@torontokris wrote:

@maheshboloor wrote:

@dickwong wrote:

@dickwong  I was on T mobile before I moved here and I could roam in Canada and Mexico and call and use data (upto 5gb) at lte speeds just like I would in the US for no extra cost. I could even use free data in over 200 countries at 256 kbps wich was usuable for voip callin and texting. Cellphone plans are the one thing I miss from US and Canada unfortunately has lot of ground to catch up.

Although I agree with you on the prices of plans... how much is healthcare in the US? How much is university education in the US? How much is it in Canada? Think ill pay the cost of a cellphone plan vs paying for healthcare & university tutition.

The issue is Canada doesnt have any real compitition. We dont allow international carriers here so we are stuck to 3-4 companies who set up a bunch of flanker brands to appear that there is compitition.

torontokris

@maheshboloor wrote:

@dickwong wrote:

@dickwong  I was on T mobile before I moved here and I could roam in Canada and Mexico and call and use data (upto 5gb) at lte speeds just like I would in the US for no extra cost. I could even use free data in over 200 countries at 256 kbps wich was usuable for voip callin and texting. Cellphone plans are the one thing I miss from US and Canada unfortunately has lot of ground to catch up.

Although I agree with you on the prices of plans... how much is healthcare in the US? How much is university education in the US? How much is it in Canada? Think ill pay the cost of a cellphone plan vs paying for healthcare & university tutition.

The issue is Canada doesnt have any real compitition. We dont allow international carriers here so we are stuck to 3-4 companies who set up a bunch of flanker brands to appear that there is compitition.

maheshboloor

@dickwong wrote:

Let me be STTP.  You can use roam mobility if you spend only couple weeks in the US.  You never need to get everything from one service provider.  In Canada, bundle is more expensive sometime like in world of telecom.  You know what Canadian telecom industry is famous of.

The whole point of these plans is to have a seamless experience when travelling to US. Many of us do not want to swap Sims or give our friends and family another number to contact you while you are away from Canada. It's just too much of a hassle. Not to mention the SMS verification you would need for your bank or any other tasks. Other cellphone markets are becoming suprisingly cheap  and provide better roaming plans and Canada is miles behind. Ofcourse the number of subscribers is a big reason for this.

dickwong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Let me be STTP.  You can use roam mobility if you spend only couple weeks in the US.  You never need to get everything from one service provider.  In Canada, bundle is more expensive sometime like in world of telecom.  You know what Canadian telecom industry is famous of.

maheshboloor

@dickwong wrote:

@dickwong There are plans with the big 3 where you can roam in the US with no extra costs and use all your Canada data in US. But those plans are over 80$ afaik. This plan for PM is probably the best 'value for money' US roaming plan in Canada.  

P.S: I am waiting for the day when Canada has plans similar to US. I was on T mobile before I moved here and I could roam in Canada and Mexico and call and use data (upto 5gb) at lte speeds just like I would in the US for no extra cost. I could even use free data in over 200 countries at 256 kbps wich was usuable for voip callin and texting. Cellphone plans are the one thing I miss from US and Canada unfortunately has lot of ground to catch up.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Christina199410 wrote:

Did you get this figured out. There was a time lapse. It should work now. 

@Christina199410 

As others have mentioned, for clarity, it's good practice to either quote the message to which you're replying, or tag the author of that message (just like I've done with your name here). You've replied to many messages in this thread but quoted no originals, so people are left to play a game of match-up-the-correct-answer.

To quote the message, click that big black "quote" button above the message box right after you click reply.  Note: For users who have enabled Quick Reply on community settings, the quote button is only available if you click the regular "reply" button instead of "quick reply." Be sure to type your own text outside of the dark bar indicating the quoted message.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Christina199410 wrote:

I agree! Great idea!

@Christina199410 
This tread has 22pages (right now, as of August 25/2019, 9:30pm PDT)*...

Without quote (or at least tagging the person you are replying to) it's impossible to know who you are agreeing with etc...

*Edit: atually looks like I just started page 23...

The idea was to have a plan with 4GB for use in Canada plus 1GB of data to use in the U.S.

You're right about quoting/tagging to provide some type of reference to what is being replied to.

@Christina199410 wrote:

I agree! Great idea!

@Christina199410 
This tread has 22pages (right now, as of August 25/2019, 9:30pm PDT)*...

Without quote (or at least tagging the person you are replying to) it's impossible to know who you are agreeing with etc...

*Edit: atually looks like I just started page 23...

Christina199410
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I agree! Great idea!

Christina199410

This plan is available for a limited time. There is no indication how long it will be available for. I am assuming it will depend on popularity and their US connections.

Christina199410

Did you get this figured out. There was a time lapse. It should work now. 

Christina199410

Super awesome plan for those who live on a border town or travel to the USA frequently. Thanks 🙂 

torontokris

@dickwong wrote:

A few plans with LTE speed but not many with unlimited USA roaming talk text and 2GB data.

dickwong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

KamWest

Just shut off your wifi.

Then go to fast.com and run the test.

I get 2.9 Mbps consistantly in Kitchener Ontario via Public Mobile

@hasan9800 wrote:

Good Morning everyone, 

1)Hows the new webpage design of Public Mobile? 

2)Everyone here is saying you get 3Mbps. (That is phone dependent) . The highest speed i can get is 150mbps.(Thats the best you will See for 3G Plans)  After that true LTE should pump up to 500mbps. (Thats why you see a Price Bump)

-for Day to Day use a Solid 3Mbps would suffice for simple work. But it would be nice to know more. 

3Mbps is what you can get with H+ network on Chatr Wireless. LTE doesnt even exist for them. 

Do you mean 1.5Mbps for your "3g" plan when you're on the LTE network?  The Telus LTE network is actually capable of higher than 500Mbps.  As for what you can do on the H+ network for Public, give it it a try.  I promise you that customers can do higher than 1.5Mbps, although I have no idea of the network conditions in your specific area.

hasan9800

Good Morning everyone, 

1)Hows the new webpage design of Public Mobile? 

2)Everyone here is saying you get 3Mbps. (That is phone dependent) . The highest speed i can get is 150mbps.(Thats the best you will See for 3G Plans)  After that true LTE should pump up to 500mbps. (Thats why you see a Price Bump)

-for Day to Day use a Solid 3Mbps would suffice for simple work. But it would be nice to know more. 

3Mbps is what you can get with H+ network on Chatr Wireless. LTE doesnt even exist for them. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bevattna wrote:

One final thought, my experience with data usage has been primarily focused on downloading to my phone, not uploading. PM's plans show download speeds, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of upload speeds.

Would be curious if anyone knows expected data upload speeds at PM and how they compare to Telus or Koodo.

@Bevattna 

Both download and upload on PM's 3G speed plans (including this one) are throttled at 3 Mbps.

Bevattna

One final thought, my experience with data usage has been primarily focused on downloading to my phone, not uploading. PM's plans show download speeds, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of upload speeds.

Would be curious if anyone knows expected data upload speeds at PM and how they compare to Telus or Koodo.

emmadebuono
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Bevattna I wouldn’t say I’m teathering 24/7, but rather I’m on the road offen and because of the nature of my job I’m frequently uploading and downloading significantly sized files when I’m out and about. 

Good to know that normal usage doesn’t seem to be affected though - I’ll definitely consider this plan more closely. Thank you. 

emmadebuono

@GR Great to know, thank you!

Bevattna

Can you provide more examples of what you're using your cell phone data for? Even 8.5 GB doesn't sound like very much data if you're using it all day to connect a computer to internet for work.

I just switched from Telus and so far I find PM speeds to be more than enough for me. Didn't notice a difference in any of my typical usage (streaming music, using snapchat and instagram) and also didn't notice any issues when I tried pushing it with some 1080P videos on Youtube.

@emmadebuono  I never had a problem with it.  I can watch YouTube and Netflix and I often use the hotspot to connect my 2 kids phones and also connect my tv so I can watch Netflix on it  so u wouldn't be worried about the speed!   It's on the LTE network so there's no delay, only the speed is capped to 3 Mbps.  Even when my tv is connected and watching on 1080hd I can still use the phone to surf online 

emmadebuono

This plan would be absolutely perfect for me, but I feel the 3G would just not be strong enough for my level of usage when I’m working, tethering, etc. How have people on 3G found this?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey @dhandel,

While Verizon is not an option for US roaming, you may switch from At&T to TMobile and viceversa.

Have a great day,

Oana 🙂

@dhandel wrote:

Someone mentioned that I could try a different network in the US.  The phone defaulted to TMobile but I was able to switch to ATT by going into my phone settings.   TMobile is usually pretty good but I have found it has some gaps in the US so I am happy to know that ATT is an option.  I am not sure if Verizon is an option.

I believe PM only has sharing agreements with T-Mobile and AT&T.  So Verizon wouldn't work.

dhandel

Someone mentioned that I could try a different network in the US.  The phone defaulted to TMobile but I was able to switch to ATT by going into my phone settings.   TMobile is usually pretty good but I have found it has some gaps in the US so I am happy to know that ATT is an option.  I am not sure if Verizon is an option.

Need Help? Let's chat.