Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,503 REPLIES 5,503

chuckb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I submitted a complaint and added these comments via email. 

"! am involved in the dispute which you are aware of regarding the Public Mobile customers being removed from the old rewards program. I am presently paying $9 a month as I have been paying $2 a month for auto payment and an annual discount of $1 per month more every year after I signed up several years ago. Once removed from the "old reward program" I will be paying $15 a month for a difference of $6 a month this year, and $7 next year.  Under the new rewards program I would receive far less .

Note that this is not only a broken promise - it is also a competition issue as promises were made resulting  in not accepting other offers at the time. Also since we will be suffering a continued loss every month a one time "gift" of 5 gigs for account users in my category that must be used in a short time is an insult. Since we are losing every month - only a monthly introduction of data would come close to compensation for $6 or $7 a month. I would say a monthly addition of 2 gigs of 4g data to users every month could compensate. 

Charles Beyer

RustyBuck3ts

I've been a PM customer for YEARS and have always loved that I know exactly how much my bill will be every month with no surprises, this however was a huge surprise and not a welcome one. Back when PM announced the new rewards program the impression was given that they would allow their loyal customers to continue on the old rewards program indefinitely. I am extremely disappointed with this decision,  and even more disappointed that after all these years the best I get is 240gb of data that I won't ever be able to even touch within the expiration period. I've never had a reason to file CCTS complaint until now, extremely disappointed and frustrated.

eyes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

At this point they may not care about losing a few thousand of us but it may just be an irreversible backfire. They may not only lose existing accounts but most importantly will lose the free positive word of mouth  advertising we were giving them.

Apars

This is frustrating as I have built up loyalty and promoted PM for years and to be switched to a points program that reduces my rewards by so much and to get “rewarded” with GBs of data that will never get used, especially before the expiry date, is a joke.

I appreciated that with PM I knew what my phone bill would be each month, and now having to use points, it won’t be those automatic savings that I’ve earned over the years. I would so much rather remain with my current Rewards. There’s a reason so many didn’t choose to switch to Public Points when they were introduced. It’s not the better deal! 

simon247
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was blindsided by an announcement of the change. I signed up for Public Mobile when the rewards were a core part of the service. Furthermore, Public Mobile staff was assuring users that we will not lose the old rewards unless we manually switch to the new rewards program. This change feels like Public Mobile is breaking its former promises. And it does so to its own benefit, as under the new rewards program, a number of my rewards will be reduced in value or eliminated. Furthermore, it appears that they do not hold a static monetary value that is automatically applied to my plan as credit against the billed amount, but given as arbitrary points that I will have to manually convert into a bill credit. 

The bonus data given by Public Mobile has no value to me, as I am never using more data than my plan has allotted, not to even mention the impeding expiration date of that bonus.

This was a very disappointing move, where Public Mobile is changing the rules of the game for the most loyal subscribers. Unless Public Mobile backs out of this or enables a new reward system that provides an equivalent value and utility compared to the one I've signed up for, I will be filing a complaint.

youkoi

should really keep the old rewards!

Legacy_Rewards

@upandadam 

Can you or anyone else with the screenshots I need to send in with my CCTS complaint private message them to me. If you have a template please pm that too. Thanks.

Pat25

I'm concerned that this account will lose the monthly loyalty awards after Public Mobile stated they would never change the old system.

Please confirm that you will reverse course on this broken promise.

upandadam

I would just go ahead and file it, along with submitting an actual Public Mobile ticket saying you don't agree to the changes and that you are being lied to about the program never changes for us loyalty members. 

I submitted the complaint to the ticket service via the chat bot they have and I filed the CCTS at the same time.  Within 10 min they asked for evidence.  I used the screenshots somewhere down this thread that you can use.  it's not letting me upload them anymore for some reason.

About 5 min after I sent the evidence and screenshots, they replied that the complaint was accepted.  I feel like they are getting bombarded with complaints and it's now an automated reply. 

Cheers.

upandadam

My CCTS complaint has just been filed and screenshots of your promise to never remove the grandfathered loyalty discount will be provided. 

Good luck Public Mobile, this community and loyaty program built your brand as you were absolutely nothing when you started.

Crazy how a community that helped back and build this community is also the same community that is banding together to push back against corporate greed and flat out lying.

Ironic, isn't it?

I hope the corporate suit that is planning their bonus cheque from this decision didnt spend the money yet. 

Ravidalal

@CS_Agent 
I’m a public mobile loyal customer from last 7 years. I don’t appreciate how they decided to switch old customers to points system. This is not right. On the contrary, they giving away 150 gb bonus data with a time limit of 150 days, at least they should put it extra for unlimited time. I have 50 gb plan and i barely able to use my plan data. What use of 150 gb data i will get? It will just expire and i will end up without any loyalty benefits. This is absolutely garbage. I’m complaining to ccts too regarding this matter and public mobile should honour there old customers and do the business in rite way. If they can’t able to do anything about it, at least leave that option open for old customers in which they were getting extra points while switching to point system. This 150 gb is useless and I don’t want to switch my rewards to point system. This is my official complain in community group before complaining to ccts.

Traceys

I switched to Public in June 2021 so am almost due for an increase to $3 per month for loyalty.

the bonus data is useless because it expires and I have never come remotely close to my limit 

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I will be looking at two replies at once.

@Traceys - Virgin was a wasteland for me. $50 for 12GB in 2023 and only upgrades to $60. If you joined PM after January 25th 2022 you are on the points therefore not being affected.

@Cindyallison - Wait till May 1st and during that month of time you can start searching all of the carriers. Complaining to the CCTS will give Public Mobile (TELUS) $140 per complaint.

Traceys

I strongly oppose this change.

a selling feature to me moving to Public from Virgin was the reward system and now it is getting diluted.

Cindyallison

And complaining to the ccts

Cindyallison

Very unhappy this is a big change.  The reason I left my old provider was because of the rebate offered.  I guess it means I now need to look for a new provider

SeverynSweetnam

I am very unhappy with this change. It is disingenuous to enact these changes while insinuating legacy customers will be able to keep their rewards programming. I will am submitting a complaint in hopes this is properly resolved.

R10P

I have been a loyal customer for 5 years same plan,  I have referred other people to PM. Now my bill will be going up 7$/month for no real reason what so ever.   Consider this my formal complaint. I be contacting the CCTS.   

G_Pomzz

@MintBerry  This is what I did.

You can open a ticket where you request help from a CSR. Then just request that you want to remain with the Legacy Rewards program. Of course they will respond that it's not possible but at least then you'll have a record that you tried to resolve your complaint with PM before making your CCTS complaint. 

Stelawrat

Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

Telcos Review, PM ToS met: edited to remove customer review statistics & hyperlinks.

Depending on what happens with PM’s $24 plan, if made available to everyone, then I’ll probably stay, as I've never had problems with PM. I’m taking advantage of my Legacy Rewards until May when, if it’s worthwhile, I’ll begin comparison shopping.

Fizz Mobile seems to be the most comparable to PM, with respect to the plans offered, website navigation, ease of use & the community. My own requirements met, it’s the carrier I would migrate to, if necessary.

Note: Bell & Telus share towers. Bell towers dominate eastern Canada & are shared by Telus, while Telus towers dominate western Canada & are shared by Bell. Rogers coverage is coast to coast. Despite this, many complaints were connectivity related, so you might want to check map coverage / tower locations local to you for work & home.

For the most budget friendly service providers, I’ve looked at customer reviews from several sources, in addition to their own websites. I’ve looked at their plans, support features if any & website navigation.

Fido Mobile: Rogers Network / Owned by Rogers: complaints re: customer service & billing issues.

Fizz Mobile: Rogers/Vidéotron Network / Owned by Québecor: good for internet, not as good for phones.

Freedom Mobile: Freedom/Vidéotron Network / Owned by Québecor: complaints re: customer support & connectivity issues.

Koodo Mobile: Telus Network / Owned by Telus: complaints re: customer support, billing & connectivity issues.

Lucky Mobile: Bell Network / Owned by Bell: complaints: bad in general.

PC Mobile: Bell Network / Owned by Bell: complaints re: customer service, billing & connectivity issues.

Public Mobile: Telus Network / Owned by Telus: complaints re: customer service & billing issues; note: rarely connectivity issues, mostly related to those using 5G who live / work in concrete / eco-friendly buildings, which applies to all service providers.

If you who have the time & patience to do more research, these are just a few of the many sites available. I chose these because of their engagement with a wide demographic, allowing for a better picture overall.

BBB – Cansumer – cellphones.ca – Reddit – Trustpilot Reviews

Interesting Facts Regarding 5G Plans: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Some-Interesting-Facts-Regarding-5G-Plans/...

Jan.’24: Tutorial: How to Switch to A New Cell Provider and Keep Your Number | WhistleOut 

@MintBerry wrote:

Thank you so much!

Message sent and off to CRTC website to file a complaint!

The CRTC isn't who the complaint should have been be sent to.  You'll get a reply back from the CRTC saying that it's the CCTS that handles these types of disputes.

MintBerry

Thank you so much!

Message sent and off to CRTC website to file a complaint!

Ewolf

I've been a faithful customer for years. I've only ever had good things to say about PM and have brought a number of new customers.

The cellular companies in this country are terrible. The only reason not to keep those of us "loyal" customers grandfathered in on our original plans is greed. Don't think that we can't see through the veil of lies hidden behind corporate-speak of "convenience". All that ever truly means is more hassle - How is paying more money more convenient? How is having to log in every month to apply my credits convenient? 

True convenience would be allowing us the option to remain on our program, or switch at will.

And the data gift which expires is like getting a $10 gift card to the most expensive restaurant in town. Great, I'll save ten bucks yet have to spend hundreds of dollars in the meantime for my meal.

Consider this my formal complaint. I'll be visiting the CCTS after this post

ily
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Patrick_PM wrote:

It looks like CCTS has rejected Public Mobile's response to clients' complaints.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2024/03/31/ccts-rejecting-public-mobile-responses-rewards-complaints/

Looks like there's hope. For anyone who's been on the fence about filing a complaint with CCTS, now is a good time to reconsider.

ily
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@MintBerry wrote:

Since PM doesn't have a phone line or email to contact to try to resolve first as per CRTC, what are we supposed to use to show we've tried to resolve before filing a complaint?

Is it as simple as this post saying I am not happy with the purposed change as this is not what I was told when I signed up 5 years ago that these rewards would not change.  I stand to lose around $60 a year in savings which is not comparible to the new points system.  I also did not recieve any email about this change and only found out via social media this was going to occur when I got a text about extra data and assumed it was a scam.

Edit:  I found a support ticket option but it just offers the option to opt out and forefit my current rewards and future points, not to actually send in a complaint to PM about this.  Dirty tactics continue.

Send a private message to @CS_Agent 

MintBerry

Since PM doesn't have a phone line or email to contact to try to resolve first as per CRTC, what are we supposed to use to show we've tried to resolve before filing a complaint?

Is it as simple as this post saying I am not happy with the purposed change as this is not what I was told when I signed up 5 years ago that these rewards would not change.  I stand to lose around $60 a year in savings which is not comparible to the new points system.  I also did not recieve any email about this change and only found out via social media this was going to occur when I got a text about extra data and assumed it was a scam.

Edit:  I found a support ticket option but it just offers the option to opt out and forefit my current rewards and future points, not to actually send in a complaint to PM about this.  Dirty tactics continue.

fixin

If they veto the decision I hope they make the points system & the Legacy Rewards hot swappable from one to another.

But with what PM is doing it is a 50/50 chance. Lucky if we ever even get this $$$ saver style back.

@fixin   Fancy way of saying you can gamble by throwing away your public points toward giveaways or purchase add-ons for a slightly reduced price.   Albeit add-ons are almost becoming useless with the huge data plans and Canada-USA plans in the mix.

That's the current extent of the  "more opportunities" "to spend rewards"

@Pre75  The 'good' thing about formalizing it by way of a support ticket is that you have a ticket number as a formal reference of your complaint.   Public Mobile can easily remove (and they have) any posts on this Community site as it's their property, since they own the intellectual rights and every aspect of it.

fixin

@abtest - Yeah, I agree with you!

Need Help? Let's chat.