Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,385 REPLIES 5,385

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Update:

I received a second reply from a CS Agent.

Hi there!

How are you today? My name is Maria and I just wanted to check if you still need our help. If the conversation is left unanswered for 24h, the system will automatically close it, however, if you need any assistance, our chatbot is available 24/7.   

Respectfully,
Maria_G
Public Mobile CS_Agent

Here is my reply.

Hi Maria,

Are you talking about my registered complaint about cancelling Legacy Rewards and being forced into Public Points?

If so, no, the complaint is still legit. According to the CCTS, to record a complaint against Public Mobile, we must first reach out to Public Mobile to register the complaint. I have done so, now it is on record. I'm sure you have fielded a ton of complaints from customers about this. But I'm sticking to my values. When it says "You will continue to get legacy rewards for as long as you are a customer" part, I'm still a customer, and my rewards should not be cancelled. 

I also understand you're not in Canada. Just know, this is not personal. We believed in the core value of Public Mobile and the Legacy Rewards. To cancel it, isn't something we take lightly. When Public Mobile said "You will continue to get legacy rewards for as long as you are a customer" , we took it to heart, believed and trusted Public Mobile to honour their word. Here in Canada, a company's' WORD means something. 

Thank you.

JennalynnFlesch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for the info!  Will be doing the same

JennalynnFlesch

Me as well.  I will be taking my phone and 3 of my referrals with me.

HI @Bottomshelf 

fonus itself is not reliable.  I would avoid

Bottomshelf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Has anyone done a comparison of PM and Fonus?

JennalynnFlesch

We all need to go to the CCTS!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have to say I am very very disappointed. Didn't think PM would force user to switch to a reward system they did not originally sign up for, after previously PROMISING AND REASSURING us they would NOT force people to switch. Is this not... fraud..?

JennalynnFlesch

Yes and yes!  The more of us file a complaint with the CCTS, the better!  We will all need to speak up for this to make a difference.  Please do file a complaint.  I too, will be filing a complaint.  The first step is to contact customer support and tell them you do not agree with having the plan you signed up for and the rewards program promised, changed in any way.  You want them to honor what was promised.  Wait for their reply and move forward if they won't honor your rewards to file with CCTS.

Robbwell

My annual cost before tax goes from $96 to $161, a 67.7% increase.

JennalynnFlesch

After being a customer of PM since 2020, I will not accept being switched from my rewards promised when I signed up.  I will notify CCTS and I will file a complaint.  I expect PM to uphold what was promised and to this date, delivered. Loyalty rewards, Friend rewards and pre-authorized payment rewards need to remain untouched.  

Michael6666

Sorry about that 😔 maybe soon 🙏

Lolo_1234
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I had high hopes for a second! Oh well, maybe one day...

Michael6666

You're right. 

Seems like if I can get my hands on a sim card, I can use it but I can't port in my Quebec based number and would have to activate an Ontario number.

Too bad, the search continues, hopefully fizz matches or merges with freedom. 

Bottomshelf

You have the FREEDOM to make that decision.  If you're thinking about $$$, the $15 plan with points, it will be maybe more expensive  - $166.88 (BC) vs $201.60 ($15x12 + BC taxes)  before points.  As I said before, it doesn't account for SIM card and activation costs, if any.  I will ultimately be paying $39.20 more with the new subscriber plan but with more data ( 250 mb versus 1.25 gb monthly that I will never fully use).

For 2 lines (my spouse and I) it works out cheaper by approx. $76 in total.

Having said that if I stayed with PM my new monthly cost will be $180 plus taxes = $201.60 less points of 21 or 43 depending on you interpret the referral point system.  If 1 point per referral per month then its 43 points; if 2 points annually for my 2 referrals then its 21 points (=$21) annual discount subject to minimum 15 point usage.

Assuming 2 points per month (24 annually), the cost of staying with PM is $131.84 (deducting points before taxes)  vs $166.88 for the other carrier.

I will not make a final decision until D-Day.

@CoolAlex 

You can petition them whatever way you choose, here's how you reach them:

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here to create a support ticket, then type Customer Support Agent, then Contact Us,  or
  2. Send a private message to Customer Support Agent by clicking here.  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

PMInfo1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Its PM, lol... There is no one to talk.  Upcoming costed changes make PM a joke... I suspect it will be folded up eventually on subscriber exodus.  Koodo will return to the "low cost" Telus option. 

CoolAlex

Did anyone complain to the CCTS yet? They said you need to talk to the provider first, but what do you say to Customer Service? "Hello, please keep me on the old plan?"

PMInfo1

Regarding #2 - PM did not get the (legacy) uptake when they introduced the "new rewards points program" previous because early adopters clearly understood the "new" plan was inferior.

PM largely "glazed over" (more directly clearly misleading) the fact that several reward $'s would be removed completely (auto pay, etc).  Hiding behind the fact subscribers are not under "contract" they have already likely had lawyers working overtime to avoid issues with CCTS.  It's clear "too many" subscribers are sub $20 which is "not acceptable".  I expect Telus needs to move average ARPU to $25+ which they will successfully be doing on the backs of expense-sensitive clients.  Inflation on monthly bills will likely be in the +25% range for most.

erorr

If you can find a provider that has better and cheaper services by all means make the switch. For my personal situation I have not found one yet.  My wallet does the talking for me. 

MarkTheShark

I'm very disappointed to find out that Public Mobile is dropping their rewards program to move over to the points program. I've been with this company for over 7 years and it seems that they no longer value their customers. Very unhappy about this change.

JimRockford_PI

Good to know. 

Oh, I bought it at the time they changed from AGT. So, I won't lose my original investment. 

Michael6666

I wrote to their help. They said yes for my postal code. I will have to try. 

Lolo_1234

Have you tried signing up? Because I get this message: "Sorry, we don't offer service in your area at this time. Check our coverage page for more information."

@JimRockford_PI wrote:

I wonder if this is going to affect my Telus share prices. Concerned. 

I doubt it @JimRockford_PI 

Just remember to buy low, and sell high.

Michael6666

I just realized that freedom now accepts Quebec based customers. Without the 7$ off of the 15$ plan, there's nothing stopping my third account from paying 119$ for unlimited talk and text + 15gb yearly instead.

This is not looking good for Telus. I have to admit, I'm laughing a little inside now,the frustration is dissipating, go PKP 🤣🤣🤣

JimRockford_PI

I wonder if this is going to affect my Telus share prices. Concerned. 

JimRockford_PI

I am in the same shoes as you are. What about the 150 annual plan with Freedom mobile? 

Bottomshelf

I'm not at LIBERTY to disclose phone carriers promotions but if  you're an INDEPENDENT thinker you are FREE to make an informed choice .  I worked out the number for 2 lines based on this carrier's prepaid plan.
My spouse is paying $23.52 monthly on a $25 plan and I am paying $7.84 on a $15 plan.  I crunched the numbers and between the 2 lines I will have a net savings of $76.16 based on an annual prepayment plan at $119 and $149.   The data with each plan is an annual allocation of  15gb and 30 gb respectively.

I had difficulty in using the 250 mb on my plan let alone (1.25 gb per month offered in this new plan).

The caveat is, my analysis doesn't account for any activation and sim card costs.

Cheer up, things could be worse.  Sure enough I cheered up at and things got worse!

Let's keep it civil out there! 

bcsuazon

@PMInfo1 wrote:

It is not up to subscribers to "figure out" or go to "help forum" to understand how the changes affect individual accounts.

PM has the obligation to inform (legacy) users to the specifics (per account) how these changes affect EACH account.  Saying "we're making changes to serve you better" is ridiculous and it is not my responsibility to read countless scenarios on a community forum.

The reality is PM/Telus needs ARPU up from lower billed subscribers to compensate for higher tier rates coming down.  It's called the "accordian effect".

This...the two biggest issues I have with the way they have handled this is:

1. The 1.5 month notice...this is a big hit for many customers - especially the ones with multiple lines.  They should have given at the minimum a 3 month notice for this I think.
  2. They did not make it very clear as to exactly what people would be losing with the switch.  Usually when companies switch these types of programs they outline what they will be losing and then what they would be gaining.  The fact that they can't even show how the new system would be a positive in any way just tells you everything you need to know...
Need Help? Let's chat.