Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,503 REPLIES 5,503

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Well, I don’t agree that people should have understood one rewards program was PMs plan. I can’t speak for others but I’m not a clairvoyant. Also, PMs marketing department decided to communicate the opposite by stating we could stay on the Legacy Rewards program. My issue is I’m now on a $34 plan and cannot move down to a 4G plan at $24/$29 at this time (I’m not interested in a 3G plan). Had PM given an indication it was their intent to move to a single rewards program along with an estimated date of implementation for doing so, then I could have positioned my current plan for that date to effectively allow me to offset the increase in cost (from losing rewards directly applied on my bill) by moving down to a lower-priced plan. Now I have to wait (and hope) the 4G plans are opened to all in May.

Public_Cust_17
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech  I will again point out (as I did to ShawnC13) that I believe the impact to Oracles will be far less impactful than it will be on the most vulnerable of PM's customers...  Hence the opposition and anger in peoples comments. 

Public_Cust_17

@wetcoaster  fair enough... I was only attempting to show that there is a way to gather information in able to make an informed decision.  Cheers

Public_Cust_17

@hTideGnow  Criteria means.. area, phone, time of day, driving or walking around, inside buildings or outside, acceptable results, etc..  I didn't say specific resulting data that could identify anyone. In my experience use case and testing criteria are necessary to validate results.. not just some b.s. answer that it's not good enough because that is a subjective statement that means nothing without "SMART" goals ie. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound.  Your statements regarding a competitor not being very good mean nothing without establishing the testing criteria you are basing your decision on.

Public_Cust_17

Hahahahaha... yeah okay, sure!!  🤣😂🤣

as @ShawnC13 explained, Oracle have no insight in the decision making process and obviously has no influence at all.  

Personally, the moment PM introduced the new rewards program (2022), people should understand one single rewards system is the part of PM's plan., it will come one day, just a matter or timing.  Many businesses would simply introduce new rewards system and move everyone over (Starbucks, Aeroplan, credit card rewards/cashback program, etc).  With PM, they have kept the 2 rewards system in parallel for 2 extra years.

Yes, it's not a decision we like.  It affects everyone and we all lost $4-$7 every cycle.   Many thought Oracles are exempted, but keep in mind , Oracles are customers like everyone else and we lost the same rewards amount like everyone else

sorry @Robbwell , the Loyalty  reward is part of the legacy rewards program and basically PM is ending it and hence the loyalty rewards is going away with it

Robbwell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What I mean is there was a deal that if I stayed for 5 years I'd get $5 off forever. I did my part. Now PM have to honour that deal.

As for the $2 for AutoPay. They can end that because I can choose to end AutoPay.

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

As an Oracle, do you have any insight on why PM takes this approach though? I’m having difficulty understanding the logic of why existing customers need to wait to get on a plan that is cheaper but is available to a new customer right away (I’m not referring to the 3G plans but the fact that no 4G plans are available for existing at this time). This is particularily bewildering if the existing customer has brought in referrals to help build the base whereas a new customer has not. Regardless, I hope the aspect of “greater flexibility” with regard to the points program will extend to plan selection as well. Cheers.

@RetiredGuy1  I don't, we don't hear when new plans are even released they just show up on the plans page and we hear from the community when they discover them.  We all know the points are worse for the customer compated to Legacy Rewards, so it will be interesting to see what they do to try and make it more attractive.  It will never match the Legacy Rewards though.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Robbwell wrote:

My complaint is that they cannot remove a benefit already earned. They can make changes going forward where subscribers can accept or reject.

@Robbwell 

for "earned" rewards, they already credit them as Available Funds monthly on your account.  The "earned" rewards were used for renewal or if any leftover, those "earned" rewards will stay as Available Fund and will not be "taken away.

it's "how to earn reward" will be changed.  There will no longer be loyalty rewards and autopay rewards on the new rewards systems.  Instead, you will earn 5% in points of any spending with PM and you will get a 10 points anniversary rewards annually.  For Friends referrals you made, you will still receive them the same, just receive in points

JDBlue1966

Thats my thinking. Change things going forward, but don’t change what Loyal customers have got in the past.

Robbwell

My complaint is that they cannot remove a benefit already earned. They can make changes going forward where subscribers can accept or reject.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Why are you spreading misinformation here? Claiming that there are many more examples of me belittling people? While conveniently claiming that many of them have been deleted, knowing that people wouldn't be able to see them anyway? You know that's untrue, so that's quite a low blow. You should be ashamed of yourself for resorting to that, especially considering you were just claiming that I was spreading "misinformation" in the message before that.

JDBlue1966

Guess they lied to you. Maybe they should change the name from Public Mobile. Was a time i thought it was a phone provider for people who just wanted a basic phone plane. 

Wolfcore

Nobody is spreading "misinformation". I've been reading your posts for a week now, and just like this one, you're often very much coming to the defense of the company. Whether or not you consider these posts to be many, I guess that would be subjective.

No need to even respond to all of your other comments individually, because it's just you disagreeing with me, without offering reasoning. But, a guy says he's a shareholder, works for the company (as an Oracle), continues to go on writing multiple messages in defense of said company and their decision, and talks about how inflation is hurting them and calls it unsustainable himself, but you don't see this as trying to get somebody to feel guilty. If that's not an attempt at trying to get somebody to feel guilty, I don't know what is. But fair enough, we can agree to disagree.

You don't feel like saying "you will keep x as long as your account remains active", and then taking it away, is lying, or breaking a promise?

It's objectively breaking a promise, that's not even a question. Whether or not they were allowed to do it, that's a different story. Unless your argument is that it's not technically breaking a promise because the ToS existed at the same time, thus nullifying their original statement, but that's a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Even is this is true, at the very least it's considered highly misleading. They know that 99.9% of people won't read the ToS, so why write that statement at all in the first place, if not to mislead? It's an untrue statement, so why write it?

Scamp
  • Why are taking away my bonus 1GbB T the end of this month? It looks you guys are about profit margins now instead of offering a No Frills network. Does this mean there is going to phone customer service with your profits now?

JennalynnFlesch

So much for their promisesSo much for their promises

eJonavin

This thread is such a mess now. 

I’m out. See you guys on redflagdeals/reddit/etc….

Wolfcore

I give what I receive. I don't just let people insult myself and others, and let them get away with it. Please read the messages that led to those, and you will have a better view of the truth 🙂

Wolfcore

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yep, and just to serve as a friendly reminder, I think there is a need by all to recognize that not all viewpoints are being driven by the legality of whats happening. Telus/PM no doubt have a team of high-priced Bay St. lawyers and are very confident they are operating at all times within the law. But, there is also the aspect of ethics in the corporate world and that has a direct bearing on a companies reputation. That, in turn, can have a direct bearing on their profit margin. I’m very appreciative of the Oracles efforts to forward the very real (and in my humble opinion valid) ethical concerns being raised in this thread and bring them to PMs management attention.

@Wolfcore wrote:

Who said I believe that? Your reading comprehension levels are clearly quite low. I've argued all sides, but as I keep stating, this is beyond what's legal and what's not at this point. Just like in 2018, there were plenty of "highly intelligent" people like yourself, claiming the exact same things you're claiming now, and in the end, you were made to look silly.

Didn't we already have this conversation btw? Your replies are so immature for somebody who claims to be so bright. Your attempted "gotchas" have been quite lackluster.

We get it, you don't think that people voicing their opinions can have any effect on decision making. That's fine, you're free to believe that. We get it. Move on 🙂

Exhibit 1, 2, 3, & 4   @Wolfcore .    Why resort to belittling, leading comments?

There's more - many of them have been deleted. (probably by the Oracles, 😂, ironically)

Gotta go!   Much better things to spend time on.

Keep up the fight!!! 

HI @Wolfcore 

yeah, we talked about this cos you keep repeating your posts.  

and no, your complaints won't get anywhere.  The one need to move on is you, cos if you want to get the $7 savings you are not getting it. 

Wolfcore

Who said I believe that? Your reading comprehension levels are clearly quite low. I've argued all sides, but as I keep stating, this is beyond what's legal and what's not at this point. Just like in 2018, there were plenty of "highly intelligent" people like yourself, claiming the exact same things you're claiming now, and in the end, they were made to look silly.

Didn't we already have this conversation btw? Your replies are so immature for somebody who claims to be so bright. Your attempted "gotchas" have been quite lackluster.

We get it, you don't think that people voicing their opinions can have any effect on decision making. That's fine, you're free to believe that. We get it. Move on 🙂

4star601

So I missed that the loyalty rewards(including the existing credit being applied) is disappearing?  I thought we were going to get the existing credits in points but there would be no more loyalty applied.

ron_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

PublicMobile was the only Telus service that was worth recommending.  The removal of the legacy reward program demonstrates that PublicMobile no longer honours their own word, and cannot to be trusted (just like the rest of Telus).  That's too bad.  

The expiring GB of data they gave us (to supposedly compensate for forcing us off the legacy rewards) is totally worthless to those of us who seldom need extra GB.  What a joke.

Anyway, now we know we are dealing directly with Telus and need to watch our backs to keep from getting ripped off.  The "community" aspect of PublicMobile is no more.

Wolfcore

I'm asking the person who is making the claim, not you (no disrespect).

As for "shill" or "bootlicker", I agree, there's no need to really use these, even if they may appear true. I also don't think that sending the same messaging over and over again saying "BuT TeRmS Of SeRvIcE! or CoNtRaCtS!" really benefits either, in my opinion. It's almost like taunting. We get it.

Everybody is quite aware of this stuff. It's not like people don't know that these companies usually have the right to do what they want. People don't need to hear it over and over again like they're children.

This is beyond whether or not they were legally allowed to do something at this point, just like in 2018. They made a promise, and broke it. Whether they did so knowing that they were protected or not, doesn't even really matter (just like it didn't in 2018). A lawsuit isn't going to "fix" this anytime soon, so that doesn't even matter.

It's just about people voicing their frustration, and letting this company face the consequences of their actions. They promised no surprises, and promised that we'd keep these rewards for as long as our accounts remained active. If they were outright lying, knowing that their ToS protects them, cool. But it's still a lie, and people are going to make sure they're heard.

HI @Wolfcore  you obviously don't know much about legal matters.   No wonder you believe a carrier has no right to change the rewards system and you still believe you can enjoy your savings forever by just posting repetitive replies here.

Believe what you believe and good luck 🙂

Wolfcore

He knows who the person is, and has read the messages, so I figured there was no need. Plus, anybody can just search it. I also never claimed that it represented everybody within the Oracle group. I only hinted that there are others besides this one person, who have been sharing similar messaging. 

@Wolfcore wrote:

One might discern that you're trying to quell the masses, by choosing to ignore comments and act naive, while continually posting messages in support of PM, this decision, and those who are trying to dismiss concerns. 

Not trying to "quell the masses".   LOL.  Where did I "continually post messages in support of PM"?   On the contrary, my posts suggest folks continue to push against this.   Why spread misinformation - what's the purpose?

The Oracle in question made it very clear with their messages. Just go back and read them. Multiple messages in defense of PM (Telus). Even seemingly mentioning how they are a shareholder:

I read as much as the posts on this thread as I can.  I do not view their comments the same way.   So what if they're a shareholder;  at least they had the guts to admit that publicly on this thread.   I doubt others would.

1. you do have to recognize that businesses operate on the profit motive in exchange for goods and services.  If you ran a business, could you operate it sustainably with a charity mindset?

This is a valid point being made by the Oracle, in my view.   I don't view it as pushing for compliance from the masses.

2. Well, if I put on my customer hat, I tend to agree with what you are saying.  When I put on my shareholder hat, I can see the merits of what they are doing.  

Another valid point, IMO.

3.The other side of the coin is $13 accounts paying $6 in perpetuity.  These days $6 doesn't buy a single burger.  I hate to pit one group of customers against another group.  I think it was the unsustainability of giving $7 rewards to $13 and $15 customers caused this change.

So they're offering a comment/opinion in an attempt to explain why they believe something to be.  What's wrong with that?   

4. So, as a shareholder could you please explain the merits you are referring to since “record profits” is apparently not enough?

Respectfully, no.  Inflation invariably makes new number appear larger than last year's comps.  

---

This is just one Oracle as well, i'm not even gonna bother going through all the rest.  

Exactly, why bother?   What's to be gained by it?  Everyone's impacted by this, some more than others.   It's unfair to all Legacy reward customers. 

We see multiple messages essentially saying how Telus needs to make this change due to needing money. Even giving a personal opinion saying that this old system was unsustainable for them. This is a form of guilt. They're telling people "you gotta think of poor them, they're losing money". 

Sorry you feel they're guilting you.   They're simply trying to make more money on the backs of their most loyal customers.   Yes, it's greedy, but I certainly don't feel guilty in any way.

To me, this is incredibly disrespectful, considering the consumer is far worse off than any Telus executive, or Telus themselves. They're making record profit. We're supposed to feel sorry about their profits, when some of us can barely afford rent or food to eat? This is a budget-brand service.

I completely agree with your statement.   They DO NOT need to do this.   I wrote exactly that in my very first reply in this thread last Wednesday.   I, also, do not feel the least bit sorry about their profits.

As for your comment about people attempting to rile up for masses for "bravos", I assume I'm one of the people who you're referring to, considering I've been pointing this stuff out. I find that quite laughable. I've been helping out as many people as I can, breaking down pricing, clearly explaining my points, arguing potential fixes, etc. I'm here because I'm disappointed in PM for lying to their customers, and breaking a promise. I don't care about some dumb community reward. Whoever is in charge of internals, can remove all of my bravos if they want, I couldn't care less. This is about letting PM know that they've made a terrible decision, and their customer base speaking out about it.

Excellent points, @Wolfcore .   I just don't feel they're "lying" or "breaking a promise" .  They are showing mistrust by making leading statements in the past.

I, also, would put forth that all bravo's from the Announcement section be stricken from the Community reward metrics.

Need Help? Let's chat.