Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,598 REPLIES 5,598

Geekedout
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes! I seen a few people saying that the CCTS wouldn't accept our complaints for some reason or another, but that doesn't seem to be the case!  

fixin
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Geekedout - Ohhh so it is Public Mobile who is saying that they didn't do anything wrong, but CCTS wants to keep the case open for all for further investigation because of how many complaints people sent in.

Geekedout

They are continuing with my complaint.  

fixin

@Geekedout wrote:

The CCTS has REJECTED Public Mobiles OBJECTION to my COMPLAINT!

IMG_0463.jpeg

@Geekedout - Hmmm, PM must've been planning this for a while.

But at least they still get charged $140! Way more than 1 customer staying on Legacy Rewards for over a year!

Geekedout

The CCTS has REJECTED Public Mobiles OBJECTION to my COMPLAINT!

IMG_0463.jpeg

fixin

@Boki wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

But the only good news is that we can still have 5% back with points, still better than other without rewards. 

When I was working in gold mines somewhere far away we did not get water nor food until we came back to barracks at around 10pm. And every day at 4am we got 20 lashes just as reminder to be happy we had some job. Any job.

Then new menagement came; they posted posters showing rivers, nice cold water and tables full of glorious food at the entrance to mines. Very stimulating! And, by the way, number of lashes has been lowerd 50% to 10. That was great life while it lasted.

Amazing 5% for all loyalty and bs wwe have to manage with pubicm.

how about fixing **bleep** credit card issue? how about making us/can plan really working for ecverybody who paid for it? shoud I dp on? Yes, we have to be greateful for crumbs.....

@Boki - PM has no control over 3G in the USA. Only their roaming partners do (T-Mobile & AT&T) but at least they still have 2G to fall back on incase of no VoLTE support.

Even the coverage is T-Mobile & AT&T's, Public Mobile has no say on where to put the towers.

Boki
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@hTideGnow wrote:

But the only good news is that we can still have 5% back with points, still better than other without rewards. 

When I was working in gold mines somewhere far away we did not get water nor food until we came back to barracks at around 10pm. And every day at 4am we got 20 lashes just as reminder to be happy we had some job. Any job.

Then new menagement came; they posted posters showing rivers, nice cold water and tables full of glorious food at the entrance to mines. Very stimulating! And, by the way, number of lashes has been lowerd 50% to 10. That was great life while it lasted.

Amazing 5% for all loyalty and bs wwe have to manage with pubicm.

how about fixing **bleep** credit card issue? how about making us/can plan really working for ecverybody who paid for it? shoud I dp on? Yes, we have to be greateful for crumbs.....

HI @kb_mv 

no one claim he or she is a lawyer, but all sound like a lawyer themselves.  If everyone here has so much legal knowledge and can win this case, I wonder how much Telus is paying for their Legal team, maybe they should make a announcement post to recruit "talent" here 🤣🤣😀

GDOGP

What good is this bonus data to me when I don't even use a fraction of my monthly data now?

@IanP wrote:

I am no lawyer or professional contract examiner.

But:

Is this a contract or service agreement we have with PM? I would argue that it is a contract not for 30 days but open-ended as we have a credit card firmly in place to keep the agreement valid, and rewards were inferred as part of the agreement. 

I am probably missing the point but food for thought.

@IanP it is a 30 day contract with PM.  By you agreeing to autopay that if you agreeing to a new 30 day Contract

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Wolfcore

This doesn't look like a text message though, was it? Or was this an email? Regardless, 99% of big tech sells your data. You agree to this when you use their services. So whether that's browsing google, inputting your phone number into various sites, you being an old Videotron subscriber, etc, they have your info, and they sell it. Who knows exactly where they got your number, but where did the duct cleaning guys get our number too? Your information is out there, and people are able to grab/buy it.

They may not even necessarily know that you're dealing with this PM stuff, and may be interested in their services, but rather, they've just stepped up their advertising due to the outrage with PM here, and all of the new clients they've been picking up in general (due to their new beta testing in the GTA). So they're just sending out these massages en masse, to every number they can afford to. 

@eyes That's a good question as to how they got your number. I wonder if they have a robo dialer sending to blocks that they know are PM? And I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to take advantage of discontent here.

Wolfcore

Will we go through all this again if/when points get discontinued?

I'm sure we will, but it won't be the same. PM doesn't seem to be promoting the points system in the same way they did the old one, by saying that you can keep certain things forever, for example. But also, once trust is broken, anybody that values loyalty, will already be gone. The people that remain will be those that are willing to accept being lied to, and won't fight back.

So yeah, due to numerous factors, next time won't be nearly the same as this. That's if PM is even still around at that point.

@jimbobs2023 wrote:

I'm not sure that this is correct.  There is much debate as to whether a passive acceptance of TOS is a legitimate acceptance or not.  In the case of the PM agreement, it is not just passive, it is non-existent. For example, being on Autopay, I'm never asked if I accept or don't accept the TOS for the next 30 days.

@jimbobs2023 There is much debate among who? Lawyers? I doubt it. Has anyone actually gotten a real legal opinion or found a lawyer or firm to take their case based either on your theory or as some have stated they can do, a class action law suit? If you check all the providers I bet you will find the same/similar terms of service all vetted by their lawyers I would guess.

jimbobs2023

@kb_mv wrote:

@IanP wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Would not the credit card on file and history give some validation to it being open ended.

@IanP No. When you renew each 30 day period you are agreeing to the TOS in effect at that time and you are free to not renew whenever you like. 

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 5.16.42 PM.png

I'm not sure that this is correct.  There is much debate as to whether a passive acceptance of TOS is a legitimate acceptance or not.  In the case of the PM agreement, it is not just passive, it is non-existent. For example, being on Autopay, I'm never asked if I accept or don't accept the TOS for the next 30 days.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@IanP wrote:

Would not the credit card on file and history give some validation to it being open ended.

@IanP No. When you renew each 30 day period you are agreeing to the TOS in effect at that time and you are free to not renew whenever you like. 

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 5.16.42 PM.png

IanP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

HI @IanP 

No, PM is prepaid carrier.  If there is a "contract", it will be just 30 days so PM can change the contract with 30 days notice

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah, I was being kind

RetiredGuy1

@ShawnC13- on the Community home page: 

Find answers, ask questions, and share ideas (bold emphasis mine)

So my answer to your question would be yes, I hope so. Cheers.

math is math – yes

and politicians - yes;  spin, deflection, and blame

Companies trying to sell an idea which they know will be unpopular has been done forever in one form or another, and it will continue to be done.

Does that make it right – heck no , not to their customers, but companies care less about their customers and more about their shareholders.

Many have gone so far as to not only mislead / misdirect customers into believing they are doing the best thing, but do the same to their shareholders in very subtle and balanced ways. 

IanP

I am no lawyer or professional contract examiner.

But:

Is this a contract or service agreement we have with PM? I would argue that it is a contract not for 30 days but open-ended as we have a credit card firmly in place to keep the agreement valid, and rewards were inferred as part of the agreement. 

I am probably missing the point but food for thought.

Wolfcore

It's only debatable if every single person that turns in a point, wins a prize. If not, then it objectively brings less value to the subscriber base as a whole. With the old system, all of our rewards are guaranteed and automatic. 

They're moving to this new system to benefit them, not the subscriber. For those who actually believe what they're saying, that they're doing this for your benefit, I've got a bridge to sell you. 

RetiredGuy1

I agree @eyes , just to be clear, they were not my words but part of the definition that I cut-and-pasted off the internet

eyes

Math is undisputed and crystal clear. HOWEVER words can be manipulated do have various meanings and that’s what politicians rely on.

RetiredGuy1

@Wolfcore , agreed and I would add another nuance regarding the contests:

In general there are three types of rewards you can redeem your points for:

• Lower Your Bill (15 points): Get a $15 account credit that you can use on your next renewal or to purchase add-ons
  • Extra Add-On (price varies): redeem points for any in-market add-on that will be added to your account instantly
  • Jackpot (1-2 point per entry): Enter one of our contests for a chance to win cool prizes, from gift cards, to phones, to more. Each contest is different and new ones launch all the time. Winners will be contacted after the contest closes.

—————————-

So, one of those things isn’t like the other two. A customer has direct control and reaps a guaranteed benefit by “lowering their bill” with their points. Similarly, direct control and guaranteed benefit over purchasing add-ons (face-value or discounted). However, unless one has the ability to “fix” a contest, they’ve given up direct control and a guaranteed benefit. So the addition of adding contests into the mix is debatable from a “better value” perspective.

@Wolfcore we all know that rewards systems still benefit the company that runs them.  The Legacy rewards benefitted PM by having us gain them customers.  Once it wasn't beneficial to PM (legacy rewards discounting plan prices to much) they had all new customers go on the points system.  Once the subscriber level of the points system reached a target that is when PM decided to end the Legacy rewards as they felt they had enough of a user base to cover any loss of subscribers from upset customers.

This is just my thoughts and opinions on how this all rolled out.  Will we go through all this again if/when points get discontinued?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

eyes

taking into consideration multiple factors such as quality, price, and convenience.”

(1) OK —Quality ——-service remains the same .

(2) FAIL—-Price——Undisputed that the math proves that we pay more.

(3)FAIL—-Convenience— we lose automatically applied rewards - now have to monitor our points and apply towards payment . When on the $34 50 go Canada -US plan no need to use points for additional data - us etc. 

Wolfcore

I explained it in that message, but yeah, essentially you were talking about "best value", and then said:

"the former also applies to ALL customers and the latter to only some"

So what I was referring to, is that this sentence here basically eliminates half of the equation of what we were talking about. If something only refers to some people, and the other refers to all people, then one would objectively be of better value than the other (at least given this particular case).

I wasn't saying anything negative towards you, if that's how you took it.

RetiredGuy1

Hmm. I was simply taking the text-book definition of “best value” and applying it to the situation. I don’t believe I stumbled onto anything but may have asserted the advantage of bill discounts over add-on discounts as a concept and then reinforced that concept by stating that it would benefit all LEGACY rewards customers instead of just those who would choose to use points towards discounted add-ons. At any rate, we’re in agreement mate! 👍

Need Help? Let's chat.