Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,051 REPLIES 5,051

SeniorCitizen
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Wolfcore @eyes 

Correct. $12.50 ish per month 4G (not 3G) is reasonable thus no need to get involved with referral plan to reduce cost. 
And the $99 plan at $8.00 ish per month 4G (not 3G) works perfect for my land line. 
So $34 ish meets all of our phone  communication needs and only pay once a year. And no extras. Although LD out of country could be an issue….but haven’t called LD anywhere in the past 3 decades. 
And one of the big carriers charges $30 for a land line that will fail during a power outage. 

IMG_0368.jpeg

eyes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Wolfcore wrote:

Probably referring to Freedom's $149/year plan. Works out to $12.41 (before taxes) per month, plus 2.5gb per month.

Now you are being constructive -----Thank you.eyes_0-1713039634867.jpeg

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Probably referring to Freedom's $149/year plan. Works out to $12.41 (before taxes) per month, plus 2.5gb per month.

eyes

@SeniorCitizen wrote:

Just get there and do some googling….its easy to find. 

Please give me a hint - I have googled and could not find any plan close to what you described - 

“Right now I can get unlimited in/out Canada wide calling, international texting and 2.5 gb per month for $12.50 on 4G”

SeniorCitizen

Just get there and do some googling….its easy to find. 

Wolfcore

This is the thing with me too. I have a total network of around 15 referrals, and I "manage" a lot of them. They've already told me that this increase is too much, and asked me to see if there's anything else out there to switch to. I told them that there are a bunch, but logistically moving 15 people will still take some time. So I've just been in the planning stage, and preparing for when the switch officially happens. Been gathering a bunch of sim cards in the meantime.

Wolfcore

Just to reiterate, I don't believe that this thread should be closed, as it's still the first place people will look when trying to investigate this decision. They see it here first, and this helps to drive the information off-site. A ton more people will still be showing up soon (once they get their first credit card statement after the increase), and this group may very well represent more people than we've had thus far.

It's important for these people to see/hear what has been said surrounding this ordeal. Them shutting down this thread would only be a worse look for them as well, and that would only attract more attention. At least if they move/edit/delete messages, and quietly ban people, they can control the narrative without appearing like they're shutting down criticism (which is a better move for them). Don't forget, they're still trying to protect their reputation. It's why we see Oracles working overtime in this thread to defend them. 

Michael6666

I have control of 3 lines and ported 2 out so far but I had 5 referrals. I've just converted one of them that was on points to come join me. 2 more to go!

I'm voting with my money and my referrals. 

eyes

Right now I can get unlimited in/out Canada wide calling, international texting and 2.5 gb per month for $12.50 on 4G”

That sounds like a no brainer - from where are you getting this deal?  If they delete this post would you please private message me with details. Also with such a great deal why are you bothering dealing with PM?

SeniorCitizen

This thread should be closed.  
I agree somewhat with @Wolfcore 

I have had posts disappear. 
So the backlash is being controlled. And if you want to have some impact move the protest to another media and make it a protest against both  PM and Telus. 

No doubt PM is making their notes and possibly once all converted there might be some appeasing offers, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

Personally, as a multiple year plan, I plan to move away from Telus home services and each of my PM accounts when the average payment is below what I get elsewhere. Right now I can get unlimited in/out Canada wide calling, international texting and 2.5 gb per month for $12.50 on 4G. I will also no longer work on referrals for PM and I will bolster our stand in NOT being involved with loyalty/points programs. 

Venting in an in house platform is NOT going to have a good impact on PM or Telus. 

eyes

they say - you can get more with sugar than vinegar.

Wolfcore

We're 6 weeks into this announcement, and we haven't heard a single word from them officially (unless you count the responses to CCTS complaints, where they've stood their ground). They've lied to us, sneakily removed bonuses before this announcement in order to reward us even less, they then gaslit us by saying that they're doing this to give us more value, they gave us data gifts that they know nobody needs, and attached expiry dates to them, they've had their minions attack us, silence us, but allow them to freely say whatever they want, etc. 

Multi-billion dollars corporations don't play nice, they aren't looking for "negotiations" with their consumers. These people run Canada, there's no reason for them to negotiate. So no, being polite to somebody like this isn't going to change anything. In fact, they want you that way. The less anger, the better for them. It's one of the reasons why they keep deleting messages. The only way you win against corporations like this, is to make a big public fuss, and force them into a position to defend their reputation; it's the only way. Sad thing is, they pay so much money to the mainstream media via ads, that you'd never see them cover it, and voicing your frustration on their own platform like this, has little value, as they are able to control the narrative via their Oracles/mods.

In the end, your only real option is to cause a massive scene off-site, on somewhere like X, or just leave, and hope they offer you something good to come back. I guess you could also do what others have done, which is to contact the CS Agents and be given some free months of service, or free data, but those will never equate to what was lost with the removal of these rewards.

They'll be losing a lot of customers once the change officially happens and people see their rates go up though, that's for sure. Without the legacy rewards, they aren't all that competitive. I've posted so many comparisons here, where PM ends up in dead last amongst the budget brands. It's actually pretty sad what they've become.

ATHENS

Maybe if we all ask politely for some sort of compromise instead of all the vitriolic comments something good may happen. As they say - you can get more with sugar than vinegar.

eyes

Perused various other mobile providers but could not find any long term plans that were worth switching. Most other plans initially look like good deals but seem to be bait catch deals. I just wish that PM would allow us to keep the compensation data they gave and not take it away if we choose to downgrade our plans. Can’t see how not taking away the data would hurt them but contrary it would benefit them by preventing some of us from jumping ship.

Moved:

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Discussion about Oracles is off-toipics
If you have constructive suggestions for the Community, please open a proper ticket with CS Agent

ValeryD1

Well, first of all, I still have one inactive account, three lines are already with other providers and I think they will stay there for a long time.
Another line (I’m not paying for it) is still working with PM.
Second, it’s purely curiosity about what else the telus will do.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ATHENS Depending on where you live, Fizz could be an option at $23 for 10GB at 4G speed with a provision to rollover data for 2 months. Outside of their native coverage area, they use the big3 networks and, from what I’ve read, they tend to default to Rogers before the others

ATHENS

I'm on the $34 plan with the 50GB data.  I rely on  data a lot because I watch movies and do homework.

RetiredGuy1

Through acquisition or merger they could use existing infrastructure and acquire spectrum licenses and have much more financial capital to make investments to expand, improve technology, etc. but in reality it will never happen as there is no political will to allow it to happen

ATHENS

I also -- for some unexplained reason got a few dollars credit on my account ---that of-course I appreciate. Also my account will renew on the 24 and all dollar credits will be applied just as usual.  Has PM reversed their decision or somewhat extending us a compromise?  

eyes

Not trying to put you in a spot  but please tell me -- since you ported out to a new provider and obviously are no longer with PM -  why do you still bother posting on this forum? Also something is wrong if PM allows community accounts that are not tied in to a PM plan.

ValeryD1

Got a message from PM - if I reactivate my phone number they will refund all my rewards! I think this is spam. Calls on behalf of Telus have become more frequent...
In any case, even if this is true, now I pay LESS for the same service than PM with all the awards! Somehow $11.50 ($18 after 6 months) is less than $29-$7 = $22. Do you think it makes sense to continue making noise about the loss of rewards?

PS. And I completely forgot, the application and call center of the new providers work perfectly, no need to wait 5 minutes for data to load!

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@kb_mv Everybody has a price. Bell/Rogers/Telus are not worldwide giants by any stretch of the imagination. Looking at 2024 market caps of the largest telecoms you have T-Mobile ($190 billion USD), Comcast ($171 billion USD), and Verizon ($163 billion USD). They all dwarf Robellus by comparison.

@RetiredGuy1 I think you missed the point I was making. What infrastructure would these international corporations use in Canada? The big 3 here own almost all of the networks and spectrum licenses.

RetiredGuy1

@kb_mv Everybody has a price. Bell/Rogers/Telus are not worldwide giants by any stretch of the imagination. Looking at 2024 market caps of the largest telecoms you have T-Mobile ($190 billion USD), Comcast ($171 billion USD), and Verizon ($163 billion USD). They all dwarf Robellus by comparison.

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

True enough. Actually, a former poster sent me a DM just a short time ago in response to my comment about the power the oligopoly wields in Canada. He stated “What we need is worldwide open competition. Let the worldwide giants in. That would likely kill our little "Big 3" due to their size.” I think inflation is a factor but I can certainly agree with what you and he are both saying on a larger scale.

@RetiredGuy1 How would this work when the big 3 own almost all of the infrastructure?

Edit: The CRTC put an end to the plans of true MNVO's like DotMobile by requiring MNVO's to eventually install their own infrastructure.

RetiredGuy1

True enough. Actually, a former poster sent me a DM just a short time ago in response to my comment about the power the oligopoly wields in Canada. He stated “What we need is worldwide open competition. Let the worldwide giants in. That would likely kill our little "Big 3" due to their size.” I think inflation is a factor but I can certainly agree with what you and he are both saying on a larger scale.

eyes

I think it reasonable and related to this thread,  why so many off topic and somewhat altered repetitive posts have -- as a good gesture not just moved to the lounge .           If Oracles took the time to peruse and move these unrelated and mostly chi chat posts then we would get a cleared picture of the actual meaningful numbers of this thread and then also possible PM may take notice.

Need Help? Let's chat.