Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,591 REPLIES 5,591

Burdwood
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Tav2 wrote:

I've used 3.67gb of 20gb with 3 days left to my plan with a change to the 50gb plan pending because it was the same price. Theres absolutely NO WAY I can utilize the 240gb loyalty bonus unless I just leave YouTube streaming all day for the fun of it. Getting boned here losing the old system and this bonus makes no sense. With my $13 in bonus rewards a month now gone its just not worth it anymore. Can't even switch to a 4gb plan because its new activations only. Its been a good run Public but I'm gonna be switching carriers ASAP unless something changes. 

They never intended it to be usable, it's just lipstick on the pig.

That generous data gift is only there so that they can say, "But we DO care, we gave you all that free data! How come you didn't use it in time?"

Burdwood

Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan.

So, considering that there are still payment glitches, and therefore accounts sometimes are going into suspenssion unintendedly, Public Mobile is taking the bonus data away due to their own incapability to offering proper service??? 

I mean, linking the add-on to the plan is bad enough, putting an arbitrary expiry on it is stupid, but taking it away because PM is incompetent, is crazy messed up.

Really, PM if you don't want us to use "free data", just don't give it to us.

Tav2

I've used 3.67gb of 20gb with 3 days left to my plan with a change to the 50gb plan pending because it was the same price. Theres absolutely NO WAY I can utilize the 240gb loyalty bonus unless I just leave YouTube streaming all day for the fun of it. Getting boned here losing the old system and this bonus makes no sense. With my $13 in bonus rewards a month now gone its just not worth it anymore. Can't even switch to a 4gb plan because its new activations only. Its been a good run Public but I'm gonna be switching carriers ASAP unless something changes. 

Burdwood

@Tav2 wrote:

Does anyone know if I change my 5G plan to a cheap 3G plan with low data will I lose my 150 day bonus data? They only way for me to actually use the bonus data and save some money is to switch to a lower tier plan until that runs out and then switch back to a more appropriate plan later. 

As of 2024 PM is not interested in allowing you to optimize your plan in your favour. 

As per T&C linked in the original post, you lose the expiring "Loyalty Add-on" if you downgrade your plan. I've seen a few posts in the community that confirm that it's actually happening.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Tav2 

You will lose the bonus data. The wizards at PM were one step ahead of everyone who might have considered doing that:

Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan.

JDBlue1966
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not 100% sure, but I think you loose what you have, if you downgrade your plan.

Tav2

Does anyone know if I change my 5G plan to a cheap 3G plan with low data will I lose my 150 day bonus data? They only way for me to actually use the bonus data and save some money is to switch to a lower tier plan until that runs out and then switch back to a more appropriate plan later. 

hi @Y4J259 they need 15 points for $15 credit, so likely not auto redeem every month, but would be nice to have

However, please note that buying add-on is cheaper using points, so maybe that's why they don't give us auto redeem, give us choice now to use the points 

Public_Cust_17

@RetiredGuy1   that is a Standing Committee and as such I believe they are on-going thing. I know they held a meeting but there have been no conclusions or actions as a result of the meeting that I'm aware of.  I don't think they're done studying it yet so emails to them may be used as part of their findings... I don't know for sure but it's definitely worth a couple minutes to email them, in my humble opinion.  Cheers

https://www.ourcommons.ca/committees/en/INDU/StudyActivity?studyActivityId=12559591

Y4J259

PM ought to have an option for customers to enable auto pay. I.e. every month use points towards plan costs. This would reduce so much frustration with their customers, especially those that have been treated with so much disrespect. 

Chachacha2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'd consider staying with PM if the rewards/points are at least applied AUTOMATICALLY to my monthly bill.

@J_PM: Can you keep the Legacy Rewards ongoing for me and the others? Fizz is looking attractive at this point.

Also, will look into filing a report with the Bureau as suggested above.

RetiredGuy1

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@PMInfo1   I'd like to add my plug here that I'd also encourage everyone to read over the email I drafted up and sent to The Standing Committee on Industry and Technology (E-mail: INDU@parl.gc.ca) and to use it as a starting point (or to create a new one themselves) and include all of their points in an email to the committee. The committee is currently reviewing the pricing policies of the mobile operators and I'd like them to have every complaint and bit of information that they can regarding PM's tactics.. the more they hear from might not help but it won't hurt.   Cheers

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Upcoming-Changes-to-our-Old-Rewards-Pro...

@Public_Cust_17  As you know, I used your template and sent my own tweaked version to the INDU committee. Just to clarify, that committee has moved on to other business. However, I too would encourage others who are so inclined to send an email as well. Who knows? If they receive an onslaught of like-minded complaints, it might make them consider recalling the 3 CEOs and further hold their feet to the fire. We all know how much politicians like to posture themselves and take credit for someone elses ideas!

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@Wolfcore wrote:

This isn't a good compromise in my opinion. If this was all they had to do to save the customers they've been losing, and quell the damage to their reputation, they'd do it in two seconds. 

The reality is, if you no longer have the old rewards system anyway, you can just port out and port back in within a day, get that plan, and everything would be the same. It's not the much of a hassle, and it's only a small fee really. 

The truth is, with how the industry is moving, the $24/4GB plan will become the standard, (and eventually beaten), within the year probably. PM knows this. Wanting this as a compromise is shortsighted, and should not be considered some grand gesture in my opinion.

If you port out and port back in, won’t you be considered a new customer and thus lose any referral rewards you had accumulated?

For those on a plan that are paying more than they want to for more data they need, a move to a better-fit plan to save money for even just upwards to a year is likely still enough motivation for some. 

Valid point until (if/when) those referrals decide to port out themselves (some/all, perhaps) if they're also on the legacy rewards and don't have enough referrals to justify staying with PM any longer.

Public_Cust_17

@PMInfo1   I'd like to add my plug here that I'd also encourage everyone to read over the email I drafted up and sent to The Standing Committee on Industry and Technology (E-mail: INDU@parl.gc.ca) and to use it as a starting point (or to create a new one themselves) and include all of their points in an email to the committee. The committee is currently reviewing the pricing policies of the mobile operators and I'd like them to have every complaint and bit of information that they can regarding PM's tactics.. the more they hear from might not help but it won't hurt.   Cheers

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Upcoming-Changes-to-our-Old-Rewards-Pro...

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, this would be the exception. But I assume the vast majority of people have zero referrals, so it wouldn't make a difference for them.

RetiredGuy1

@Wolfcore wrote:

This isn't a good compromise in my opinion. If this was all they had to do to save the customers they've been losing, and quell the damage to their reputation, they'd do it in two seconds. 

The reality is, if you no longer have the old rewards system anyway, you can just port out and port back in within a day, get that plan, and everything would be the same. It's not the much of a hassle, and it's only a small fee really. 

The truth is, with how the industry is moving, the $24/4GB plan will become the standard, (and eventually beaten), within the year probably. PM knows this. Wanting this as a compromise is shortsighted, and should not be considered some grand gesture in my opinion.

If you port out and port back in, won’t you be considered a new customer and thus lose any referral rewards you had accumulated?

For those on a plan that are paying more than they want to for more data they need, a move to a better-fit plan to save money for even just upwards to a year is likely still enough motivation for some. 

Wolfcore

JDBlue1966

Much better than giving people data they will never probably use.

PC3

If you want to help customer's that are being forced to switched to new reward program...instead of giving "free data" that can only be used within 150 days. PM should open all plans to current customers, not only new customers. Like the one below which is only available for new activations. 

1000025361.png

Matty1234

What's your definition of better? 

UrGod

Any better carrier recommendations guys?

Wolfcore

Exactly. At the end of the day, filing CCTS complaints is really just a form of protest. They almost never work out well for the consumer. PM (Telus) literally pays their bills, so CCTS is always going to protect them as much as possible. Even the $140 fee (or whatever it costs Telus per successful filing), is probably a tax write off of some sort. 

What it's really about, is the sentiment behind it, and exposure. Us filing complaints lets Telus know how many people are actually serious about their disappointment in their action, and also helps to stir up news coverage and puts pressure on them to address it. It's one of the few options we have to voice our frustration (before just flat out leaving).

It's very important. As is voicing your opinions on social media, this forum, sending messages to CS Agents, etc. It's not like we have a phone number to call with PM, so it's all we have 😂

PMInfo1

golfball wrote:  "Yes I've seen a few people express surprise and excitement when they get the data text not realizing the full context. PM should have been more upfront with the stipulations and specifics of what's going on."

-----------------------

My family members were some of them not realizing I was filing multiple complaints with CCTS on the other side.  Text is misleading and certainly if one hadn't visited the Community would be completely unaware.  Of course, Public Mobile believes that all policies have been followed and CCTS should/will have no issue.

That said, "legally right" does not mean "ethical marketing behaviour" and CCTS may have a different view following the avalanche of complaints that have been filed.  I would encourage those who have not filed to do so regardless of result.

Public_Cust_17

@SeniorCitizen   is there a guarantee that a point will always be worth $1?

I've always held the belief that if someone would screw me over once they'll do it again.. if I give them the opportunity! 

JDBlue1966

Funny thing is that i moved me and the wife up to the 40GB 5G plan. Just incase we need more data one day. We are thinking of buying a trailer. Would probably need more then. For us it’s not about the money. It’s loyalty.

G_Pomzz

@JDBlue1966 

With your limited need for data you could go with the Fonus low priced Can/US plan for about $10/mth.

It seems that those on the lowest priced PM plans are the ones being hit the hardest with the new changes. 

Y4J259

Two ways PM is choosing to hurt its customers:

I'm on a $34 plan, have been with PM for more than 5 years.

Old rewards: $5/mo off for loyalty, $2/mo off for auto-pay, and $1/mo off per friend referral. So $7/mo off plus referrals.

New points: $1.70/mo (5% back) points back, $10 annually loyalty, $1/mo friend referrals.

So I'll be paying $4.47/mo MORE under new points system.

Additionally, I'll have to log in EVERY SINGLE MONTH to cash in my referrals. And that's a choice PM is forcing on us. They have chosen to not make it auto credit. Why? Probably because they know people won't sign in regularly and so will be paying more, not using points, each month, again boosting their bottom line over rewarding loyal customers. This choice to force logging in, not auto pay, is very cynical and seems to be the disgusting practices that PM is now choosing to employ. 

JDBlue1966

I had a 1GB plan for years. Never came close to Using it. So the extra data is useless to me. 

danielj

danielj_0-1711209336670.png

150 to use the data the give to "attempt" to appease us for making financial moves that hurts all of us Public Mobile customers. While Public Mobile gave other family members significantly less data. All when multiple customers are like me on 120 day plans.

Notifying me that they added the data to my account around 12:30 yesterday and having the 150 already marked down to 149 days before 12pm today.

On top of it, the very cherry on top having the data not even be compatible at all with my plan.

With any attempts to change to a plan that is compatible running the risk of triggering a clause to have the offer be rescinded from my account completely.

Surely hope the "enhancing" of the Points program actually enhances to relatively matches the "retiring" program.

In at least in this context Public Mobile gesture for loyalty progam changes, it is so far thanks for nothing Public Mobile.

SeniorCitizen

@fixin wrote:

@zeldannabee - Yeah, and why did they remove that you get 1 point for every month you stay with PM RIGHT before the announcement???

That would have made it 100% better and less CCTS complaints. Even if making the bonus data no expiry, then we may be a little happier than before.

Exactly leave it in place, forget the free data that’s only for some and not all, and enhance a bit. I never researched that 1 point per month and wouldn’t have known the difference. So due to being forced give 1.25 or 1.1 points per month. And make sure you get your dollar value for the month and “then” change you account to the new rewards.
AND is there a guarantee that a point will always be worth $1?

Need Help? Let's chat.