Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,339 REPLIES 5,339

danbeau
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not good... I'm definitely going to consider moving elsewhere. I've been a PM happy & loyal customer for the last 4 years but not willing to pay $7 more per month. I think Fizz will be having lots of new customers.

eJonavin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yearly plan is great. I have 3 of them now and will probably move my last line there. The reception has been good.

eJonavin

This is bad news.  I used to have 4 lines with PM. Now down to my last line. Now you don't even give me any reason to stay.  This is effectively a price hike.

Trixxstrr

Ya, definitely going to look at moving after this. I'm a $15 a month customer, so looking around I see Freedom Mobile has a yearly prepay for $120 a year with 15GB/year which would be cheaper ($10 a month) and I would have more data than I do here.

MandyJS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This feels scummy. You give us a "good deal" to convince us cheaper customers to pay more for our phone plans. We think hard about upgrading because it's quite a bit more than we'd already been spending, but the deal seems good with our discount. So we make the plunge and go for the more expensive plan and then right after, you take away our discounts, forcing us to pay even more than we'd budgeted for?

And then as a "thank you", your only compensation is a data add-on that will expire, when many of us upgraded to a higher data plan and will likely never use that "gift"?

I'm so glad they clearly value our loyalty.

Already "shopping around" to see what's available. No point being loyal to a company if they don't appreciate it.

Lar1

So now there really is no reason to stick around with PM since they don't value loyalty.  No more putting up with the chat bot for answers, no more time wasted.  No more telling people how good PM treated it's customers and trying to get them to convert.  Not just myself but family will now consider the options. 

kyle12

To enhance our rewards offering and ensure we’re providing the best possible value to our subscribers, we’re moving everyone on our old rewards program to the Public Points™ program.

Sounds like a BS reason, this whole change looks like a straight loss for the customers.

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dabr wrote:

@golffan    Do you really need an official comment/reason as to why that was eliminated before this announcement?  I'd say it's very obvious as to why it's been removed..

Absolutely it's very clear why.  This entire legacy rewards move was done in bad faith.  I realize that PM/Telus is running a business, but there are better ways of implementing major impactful changes...many of which have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

PM seems to have adopted a "head in the sand" mentality and have created a less trustworthy and less customer friendly environment.  Remember how the data on's were quietly changed to expire after 30 days?

If this program can be retired at any time, so to can any plan.  What's next? 

golffan

Unless Im missing it, the option to convert loyalty months from old system to points in new system has been removed.  I would gladly switch to new system right now if I (and everyone else) could convert our loyalty months into points (which you could, up until Monday)

Maddy1990

This is really bad for us long term customers. I will be porting out as well when this change takes effect.

Mayaa

How is this enhancing the points program for me. I'll be in a worse off position after being forced onto the new rewards program.

OSH2024

My IP address takes care of over 10 legacy rewards accounts, many on $15, $24, or $25 plans.  And most will be looking to jump ship later this year, after I notify everybody of a bill increase of up to $7 extra, as a rude awakening. 

Some accounts will downgrade to the $15 plan and exhaust all special add-ons first, as we bide our time to move on to somewhere better - so as a prelude, your revenue gets reduced before the stampede to the exits.

It won't be hard to find a value plan in the same price range with competitors.  We can play the "No Loyalty" game too.

Congrats, PM!  

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@golffan wrote:

@dabr  Obviously my post is tongue in cheek, the reason is obvious, I'm just posting to let people know, if someone were to willingly change to new rewards last week, they would have been able to convert their loyalty months into points...

If you're worried about getting the most Points™ you can get by cashing in your Rewards ... just cash in your Rewards. The changeover to Points™ is not happening until May. Maybe you can get your "special thank you" on March 31st as well if you time things right.

[Edit: Last Sunday night, Public Mobile quietly removed the "1 point per month of loyalty" incentive they always gave out for switching from Rewards to Points™. If you voluntarily switch from Rewards to Points™ now then you won't get these Points™ anymore, you'll just get the 5 Point™ "Welcome Present". I didn't know Public Mobile had pulled the rug out from under us at the time I wrote the above advice.]

Personally, I'm going to holdout. Because maybe - maybe - Public Mobile (Telus) will reverse this decision after backlash. And because the Points™ are worthless to me. I don't care how many of them they give me because if I'm forced to take them then I'm leaving.

golffan

@dabr  Obviously my post is tongue in cheek, the reason is obvious, I'm just posting to let people know, if someone were to willingly change to new rewards last week, they would have been able to convert their loyalty months into points...

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Slick66 wrote:

So, the $2163 in my account from referrals will still be used to pay my entire $34 monthly bill until that money runs out?

and YES, they are there for you to use for the next  63 FREE months!!

Public Mobile (Telus) has gotten into the habit of breaking promises over recent years. Today's "exciting announcement" is not the first time and won't be the last time.

I wouldn't bank on Public Mobile (Telus) continuing to honour deals for another 63 months.

colleeno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wow! 😳

@golffan    Do you really need an official comment/reason as to why that was eliminated before this announcement?  I'd say it's very obvious as to why it's been removed..

@golffan  Just another way for PM to put the screws to loyal customers !

golffan

So still no official comment on why the 1 month loyalty old reward = 1 point to switch to new was removed a couple days ago?  I think if that was allowed now, people wouldnt mind the switch.  As a 4 year old loyal client would have 48 points, thus $48 to offset the loss of the old rewards.

@Slick66 wrote:

So, the $2163 in my account from referrals will still be used to pay my entire $34 monthly bill until that money runs out?

Hi @Slick66 

that's a lot!!

and YES, they are there for you to use for the next  63 FREE months!!

Soon-ex-PM-user

Indeed.  I have been with Public Mobile since November 2016.  I will look for another provider and bring the 4 family and friends referrals with me. 

nick_dv

and I'm not talking about one account but 8 family members and 2 friends...

Bunnyhop

Way to backstab all those people who referred new customers to PM.

Its time to shop around.

Slick66

AveragePerson

Are you going to get 15 points every month? If not, then you won't have to log in every month to convert it.

Moved:

Advertistement of referral codes of any type isn't permitted.

Slick66

I guess I do get to keep it . . . 

funds.png

nick_dv

Goodbye Old Rewards Program! Hello FIZZ! 

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Update made to FAQs - 

I still have leftover rewards from the old program that I want to use - do I lose these  rewards?

No, you won’t lose any leftover rewards from the old program. Any credits earned up to May 2024 will remain on your account and be applied to your future bills.

LizfromCanada

I'm curious if my non-expiring data bonuses will be used first with this "bonus data" - seems like a ploy to get me to run through all my best legacy perks.

Need Help? Let's chat.