Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,341 REPLIES 5,341

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@dwh1  would you not feel penalized having to arbitrarily pay $7 more for your plan ? That’s why loyal customers upset PM not holding up to their end of the bargain for those of us that have been here from the beginning myself only 2018 . But not nice to have a price hike on your plan when you think you’re locked in . Maybe that’s what’s next take away legacy rewards and jack up everyone’s bill a further $5 for icing on the cake 

@ma00 wrote:

Do you get 1 point for every month you are with Public Mobile or is it 1 point for every month a referred subscriber stays with Public Mobile?

@ma00 

If you referred a friend to joint public mobile (by using your referral code), you will get 1 point/30 days as long as your friend stays with Public mobile.  

Each anniversary year with Public mobile, you will receive 10 points. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Wow PM... so to recap: no more loyalty/autopay rewards along with already discontinued non-expiring data.  This is, in effect, as mentioned by others, a price increase for existing customers. Thank you! /s.

ma00
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do you get 1 point for every month you are with Public Mobile or is it 1 point for every month a referred subscriber stays with Public Mobile?

R-M

Congrats Public Mobile, you've finally made a decision bad enough for me to register a community account!

The legacy rewards were sufficient that I never felt the need to shop around for a better plan from anywhere else - I've just periodically switched to a better PM plan whenever I saw one for years. I will be now be regularly looking to competitors for a better deal.

No incentive for loyalty means you get none.

@ma00 wrote:

So what does this mean for subscribers with the 15-dollar plan that has been reduced to the max with the auto deposit and pays $8/month which is a fortunate outcome due to the rising costs of everything? Is this going to jack up the prices to 15 and then you will have to collect points and spend them to reduce the price per bill?  

@ma00 

Unfortunately, the $13 or $15 plan users will be hit the hardest.  5 year loyalty customers will lose about $7/month of credit including autopay $2/month.  Especially, in these tough economic times with higher inflations, low income customers will take a big hit.  

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Another consideration:

From my understanding, with this 150 day bonus data, if you change plans (ie. to lower priced plan), the bonus data add on with be removed. 

Slick66
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Legacy users have been doing their marketing for them for years.

Now that we're no longer needed or appreciated, we're being kicked to the curb.

How stupid of us to do all of that work for free.

ma00

So what does this mean for subscribers with the 15-dollar plan that has been reduced to the max with the auto deposit and pays $8/month which is a fortunate outcome due to the rising costs of everything? Is this going to jack up the prices to 15 and then you will have to collect points and spend them to reduce the price per bill?  

Soon-ex-PM-user
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

so what is your problem?  We're all PM users.  What? We can't create an account now in the forum and express our dissatisfaction? 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for the last push I needed to get my 7 lines out of PM and the years of loyalty great job PM as usual 👍 

maurelle

@Trixxstrr wrote:

I haven't got an email or text yet but what about the old Christmas data packs they gave that didn't expire? I still have a few leftover gigs on them.

My guess is that they will stay attached to the account until used up.

The "problem" is that if you are on a 5G unlimited data plan, old gifted data - as well as add-ons bought before the expiry dates were introduced - are not accessible. (our $34/50GB Can/US plan is not active yet, so can't confirm if it's the same there)

So the whole data gift "appreciation" is a colossal joke, one way or another. They know that barely any of those "generous gifts" are going to be used in those 150 days that we have access to it. I assume that lower priced plans will get less data, if any, but have not yet received any communitycation.

IMHO it would have been more generous to have that "gift" as a lump sum in points.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

Yup I’m hurt , totally disturbed well done PM!

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

This is awful. What a terrible change for customers!

@Trixxstrr wrote:

I haven't got an email or text yet but what about the old Christmas data packs they gave that didn't expire? I still have a few leftover gigs on them.

@Trixxstrr 

That should remain the same.  The Christmas bonus will still be in your account.  However, hopefully, the "bonus" data add on (with expiry date) will be used first before your older non expiry date data add ons. 

Trixxstrr

golffan

Of course they have "removed" the ability to convert a month of loyalty to a point, but their website still says the following:

publicmobilepoints.jpg

Slick66

Between two accounts, I have $3000 cash and receive 150 referral bucks each month because I worked hard for five years to sell their plans.

And this is the thanks I get?

Soon-ex-PM-user

most PM users are on 40 gb or more plan and they only use 10 gb monthly so what is the point of giving bonus of 240 gb. It is useless lol

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 @J_PM Agreed, this is a tone-deaf announcement and clearly has made many upset.  However, instead of reversing this and going back to having a legacy plan for people who have been here before 2022 and a lesser plan for newer people - why not consolidate into a plan that works for everyone?  

As just one example of what is possible, why not add the loyalty bonus to Public Points, and for legacy people, transfer their existing loyalty reward over?

AK32

And if you dont need extra data, you basically get nothing?

MitchSmith

I've been getting my $4 loyalty discount plus $7 off each month for all the people I referred. If I lose that I will switch to a different provider that day since there will be no reason to stick with Public Mobile. Those legacy rewards are the only reason I haven't switched. I know four of those seven people I referred will also be switching immediately if they lose their loyalty discount.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@J_PM  as this move was inevitable but to take away the converion of 1pt for every month the member was with PM is a bad move.  This option was still available as of Sunday March 3rd.  The bonus data is going to help very few people as many are now on larger data plans as they have upgraded based on still having that monthly credits coming into their accounts.  Not only that having the data expire for those that it does help is not a good thing.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

lucarniam

Absolutely bs. I will be looking for better plans elsewhere if this goes through. Obviously they don’t care, but will hold out hope until the change takes effect

Soon-ex-PM-user

from Redflagdeal thread https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-retiring-their-old-rewards-program-may-2024-2679876/#p...

this is sux. Without the referrals, long term PM users is getting $7 off monthly or $84 annually.

in May 2024 is ($34 x 0.05 x 12) + $10 = $30.40 annually.

this is a reduction of $54. Time to shop around with other cell phone providers

Max1288

Are you serious public mobile? I have been with public mobile for at least 10 years on the old system. And from one day to the next you decide to transfer us to the new one without giving us a choice now? I brought several people here, and we're all going to leave if you don't come to your senses by then. It's really unfair. Were all going to be increased by several $

1Guy

So in the new rewards program you have to manually use your "reward points" to lower your bill? Instead of such points been applied to reduce your bill every month automatically?
If so, it's very annoying to do that monthly and you'll be forced to pay the full bill amount if you don't redeem your points...

dwh1

@Dunkman I agree with you on promo deals - they should be available for everyone.  No question - but there is a difference between being unhappy with a price increase caused by legacy rewards ending and thinking that legacy rewards people are being penalized by being treated the same as newer customers.  It would be more accurate to say newer customers were being penalized for not having shown up soon enough.

abtest

Hey PM, instead of the marketing ... this move will offer you more flexibility and new ways to earn and use your points, bringing a more rewarding experience to our subscribers. ' - why not just say it like it is.  You no longer want to (or can't afford to) reward long time customers with up to $5 off - for their loyalty.  There is nothing more flexible than cash back in my pocket, and there is no 'new way to earn' that comes anywhere close.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@J_PM wrote:

Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program.

Thank you for the heads-up Public Mobile Team.

I'll be porting my subscription out shortly after the change. Once all my add-ons and Public Points™ are consumed, the moment I see a compelling promo somewhere else. Don't worry, I'll keep paying the absolute minimum required to keep my plans going until then.

Don't bother sending me any Koodo migration offers. I'm not interested in getting disappointed by Telus twice.

Need Help? Let's chat.