cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] Last day to get our limited time 4GB / $40 promo plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Note: The promo plan has been removed from our website; however is still available in the activation portal and in Self-Serve. 

We will be honouring the promo plan for all customers who ordered their SIM card between October 25th-November 16th, but did not receive it before November 20th.

Why the November 16th cut-off date you might ask? SIM card orders take 1-2 business days to arrive at your home, and Canada Post does not deliver on the weekends. Knowing that there is a lead time for SIM cards to arrive, we have temporarily stopped SIM card ordering until after the promotion is complete. This is because anyone who would have ordered a SIM card after November 16th would not have received their SIM card in enough time to sign up for the promo plan. We didn’t want anyone to get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

If you get a SIM card at one of our pick-up locations this Friday and Saturday, you will need to sign-up for our promo plan on or before November 20th. The promo plan will not be honoured for these customers after November 20th.

Hey Community,

Yes, you read the subject line correctly! From October 25th to November 20th, we will be offering an amazing promotion where you can get 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120. This equates to 4GB each month for the low, low price of $40 every 30 days. If there was ever a time to get friends and family to join Public Mobile, now would be it!

Check out the full details below to see how you and your friends and family can sign up for this awesome plan!

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

Pick & Pay Customers

If you are an existing Pick & Pay customer and are interested in taking advantage of the promo plan, you have two options:

1. If your plan ends during the promo period: You can sign up for the plan in self-serve, as you normally would to change your plan
  2. If your plan ends after the promo period: You can future date a rate plan change during the promotional period, and have the promo plan take effect after November 20th. For example, if you’re currently on a 90 day plan that ends on November 28th, you will be able to sign into self-serve anytime between October 25th-November 20th and future date the promo plan to take effect upon your existing plan’s completion. Come November 21st, you would no longer be able to future date the promo plan.

This means that everyone has the option to take advantage of this great deal, regardless of when your existing rate plan ends. 

Legacy Customers

If you are a legacy customer who is interested in having this promo plan, you will need to call into the call centre and upgrade to the Pick & Pay plan. Please note that, once you switch to a Pick & Pay plan, you will be unable to switch back to your old plan and will lose access to the call centre.

New Customers: You want to join because the grass is really greener over here

As a new customer, you can add the promo plan when you are prompted in the activation process. You will need to have your SIM card in hand in order to activate, so please be sure to order it first!

-Public Mobile Community team

1,415 REPLIES 1,415

@Rockdaddy22 Last promo didn't have canada-wide talk. They haven't done any promo with canada-wide talk yet. 

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@kav2001c sorry but you're totally wrong, the last promo had a couple choices and one choice was with Canada wide calling, I'm on it, so I should know. They could've done the exact same this time, I think it was $15 more for unlimited Canada wide calling per 90 days, I beleive it's $135 total, instead of $120.

@ute1978 wrote:

@Jonavin wrote:
@srlawren

you do realize that $30 difference gets you 800 US minutes every three months. If you don't use it much, that's more than enough. I get "just to have it" but those 800 minutes last forever if you don't use it. The next 3 months you'll have 1600 minutes. In a year it will be 3200 minutes. Do you call the US more than 3200 minutes in a year (outgoing)?

Not quite following the logic. Why would you add 800 minutes every 90 days? You only add them when the first 400 minutes of the add on are used up. You don't have to pay for 800 every 90 days.

To offset the difference in promo price vs projected promo price

The point is there is no reason to do so and the current promo with data is a much better deal (and fewer long distance minutes used the better the price is)

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I love Public Mobile as much as anyone, but I can admit that it sucks that Canada Wide calling isn't an option. It was included in the last promo, so I'm not sure why this happened, unfortunately it might be about money like Cyber said. It's makes no sense otherwise.

That being said, I'd love links to all these better plans with these carriers. Please no Sask or Quebec plans, I want to see Ontario plans.

@Rockdaddy22 no it wasn't... the last 3 promos have all been provincial calling plans

The last time Public offered a Canada wide promo plan was before Telus takeover

Cyber is totally wrong on most of his posts in this matter. We will see if he answers anyone who called him out over his Koodo claims but I doubt it

Rockdaddy22
He's just trying to make a point

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jonavin wrote:
@srlawren

you do realize that $30 difference gets you 800 US minutes every three months. If you don't use it much, that's more than enough. I get "just to have it" but those 800 minutes last forever if you don't use it. The next 3 months you'll have 1600 minutes. In a year it will be 3200 minutes. Do you call the US more than 3200 minutes in a year (outgoing)?

Not quite following the logic. Why would you add 800 minutes every 90 days? You only add them when the first 400 minutes of the add on are used up. You don't have to pay for 800 every 90 days.

Rockdaddy22
I love Public Mobile as much as anyone, but I can admit that it sucks that Canada Wide calling isn't an option. It was included in the last promo, so I'm not sure why this happened, unfortunately it might be about money like Cyber said. It's makes no sense otherwise.

That being said, I'd love links to all these better plans with these carriers. Please no Sask or Quebec plans, I want to see Ontario plans.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@srlawren

@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c Yeah.  Always nice to "have it and not need it" rather than "need it and not have it".  🙂

I rarely need it too.

@srlawren the funniest I saw was a friend on the old Fido39 promo. Was trying to argue better to keep 450 Canada minutes instead of unlimited Provincial minutes Cat Frustrated

But for most people once they realize increase in data it is done deal Cat Wink

I still "want" the US calling + 12GB for say $150 or so

I never call the US, I just want it Cat Wink

srlawren

@kav2001c wrote:

@srlawren I suspect most people do not even need long distance, they (like me) just want it Cat Embarassed

@kav2001c Yeah.  Always nice to "have it and not need it" rather than "need it and not have it".  🙂

I rarely need it too.  Except on the project I worked on a couple of months ago, where we had daily dial-in meetings, using a meeting service that didn't have a local a phone number in my province nor a toll-free number.  That's when I switched to Canada-wide, as the time would quickly eat through add-ons.  So far on my current project that hasn't been an issue, so I"m willing to try going back to Province-wide for now, for the nice bonus data.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren I suspect most people do not even need long distance, they (like me) just want it Cat Embarassed

^

Other than purchasing an add-on (best solution), there are many other ways you can use calling using your data like fongo or whatsapp. You have plenty of data, so use it. 

srlawren

Okay, guys, we get it--Province-wide calling isn't for everybody!  This is fine, this is why PM offers Canada-wide and Canada+US-wide talk options as well.  Unfortuantely, this current promo is only for province-wide.  There are ways around it for most light-to-medium long distance callers using add-ons or data-based services, that will work for some and again, not for others.  

Most other carriers offer either unlimtied Canada wide calling or unlimited local calling; this plan lands between those, with unlimtied province-wide calling.  If that doesn't meet your needs, then stick with the plan you are already on or provider you are already with, and wait to see if another promo better suits your requirements.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jonavin

Except for places like Ottawa, in province calling is the only thing most people need. And the rates for prepay long distance is fair at less than 4 cents/minute. Other prepay service charge as high as 40 cents for extra minutes. I purcahse 400 minutes for my wife 5 months ago, and she still hasn't used a single minute

I think PM should make an exception for Ottawa-Gatineau, but everywhere else, provincial calling is fine. However, this promo plan may be better if they gave people the Canada-wide calling option for $135 (the usual $15 difference for this 90 day feature).

@Cyber wrote:

The standard in the mobile industry is Canada-wide calls.

By gimmick (not fraud meaning), I mean a marketing way to make money with option like long distances calls.

Public Mobile (owned by Telus) is the only one who offer plans with "Province-wide" calls.

Koodo (owned by Telus) have lower prices than Public Mobile with Canada-wide for all of their plans.

Exactly what page are you looking at? 

Koodo requires you to spend $50+ on a prepay plan with no data for Canada wide as "standerd"

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans

On postpaid (requires a credit check) the lower tier plans are local only (not even province wide long distance) and $40 on Koodo at best nets you a choice of 500mins + 500mb OR unlimited minutes with no data

Public unlimited minutes + 12GB data (avg 4GB per month) is vastly superior to this

Even with paying for long distance add on every month the cost is far cheaper than Koodo

@Cyber Cat Frustrated

Fido, Virgin & even Koodo offer only local minutes on lower plans (heck even Wind restricts Canada wide calls)

The other fact you seem to have totally missed, is on all 3 of those carriers those are POSTPAID (require credit check)

Public is only carrier offering PREPAY with anything close (only carrier with anything remotely similar is Wind or Chatr)

JaK

Got to respectfully disagree with you @Cyber...

@Cyber wrote:

JaK - Mostly agree, at least for the premium plans.

By gimmick (not fraud meaning), I mean a marketing way to make money with option like long distances calls.

JaK - Disagree it is a gimmick, it is a legitimate marketing strategy to offer tiered plans for increased capabilities. People pay for the service level they need. Most people would say that is a good thing, as long as they are on the right side of the tier 🙂

Public Mobile (owned by Telus) is the only one who offer plans with "Province-wide" calls.

JaK - Sort of, but not really. True that PM is the only one (TIKO) that offers "province-wide", but most of the others still offer "local" call options, normally on their more introductory plans.Rogers plan builder has an option to pick local on regular plans for a $5 discount. The difference here is that PM has made their "local" regions a lot bigger (the whole province), and thier LD minutes are generally a lot cheaper.

Koodo (owned by Telus) have lower prices than Public Mobile with Canada-wide for all of their plans.

JaK - Not true, (at least not here in Ont, as Koodo like most of the other nationals offer the same plans for different prices regionally, something PM thankfully doesn't do). For example, the PM unlimited Canada-wide talk, unlimited global text and 6GB data per 90 days costs $135 (roughly $45 per month) while the Koodo no-tab, unlimited Canada talk, unlimited international messaging and 1GB + 1GB bonus data costs $55. And Koodo has an entry plan with only "local" minutes.

Province-wide or Canada-wide, this costs nothing to the mobile carrier.
JaK - Not completely true. While yes there is very little cost difference once the infrastructure is in place, it does cost initially and those costs need to be recouped. How this gets recouped gets us back to marketing strategies... 

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@ckl, don't give bad idea to PM Smiley Tongue

@Jonavin you can not exceed value of plan

$0 is lowest you can go

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Cyber

Sorry. My bad.

imm1304

@ckl,  I am fairly sure that only the cheapest plan on Koodo included local calling minutes.  The rest of the plans all include "Canada-wide anytime" and that wouldn't be restricted to other Koodo numbers only.  

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@ckl,

Not true...

Source from Koodo FAQ :

http://help.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-data-and-other-services/canada-wide-plans/what-do-canada-w...

If you're on a Canada-wide plan, your anytime minutes can be used to call anywhere in Canada from anywhere in Canada without paying long distance rates! With our great Canada-wide plans,  every call you make within Canada covers you from coast to coast at no additional charge.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Cyber

I just looked at the Koodo site and it says that canada-wide calling only applies to calls between phones on the same account.

imm1304

@Garry, if you only call the US occasionally, one of the long distance talk add-ons will be sufficient.  You can buy it from selfserve ($8 for 200 minutes or $15 for 400 minutes).  

If you make a lot of calls to the US then you may wanna try hangout dialer from Google or the fongo app..both offer free calling and use your data or Wifi.

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@Garry,

On a Canada-wide plan or Province-wide plan, you must purchase an add-on of 200 min or 400 min Intl Long Distance (Incl Canada & US) for calling to USA.

JaK

Purchase LD add-ons ($8 for 200 min or $15 for 400 min)

@Garry wrote:

How do I phone the USA? 

Province-wide or Canada-wide, this costs nothing to the mobile carrier.

mjs
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yeah, I agree...for an Ontario Resident. here is BC, it could be a lot different...at least for myself. Living in BC and having family members in Winnipeg and Windsor makes the canada wide a must form me. I guess this promo plan work for many people but not all.

Garry

How do I phone the USA? 

JaK

I'm with @stonechucker on this one, prefectly happy not paying for a Canada wide service I would rarely use. One could argue, however, that is an Ontario bias, as we get the biggest local calling area (by population).

Need Help? Let's chat.