cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] Last day to get our limited time 4GB / $40 promo plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Note: The promo plan has been removed from our website; however is still available in the activation portal and in Self-Serve. 

We will be honouring the promo plan for all customers who ordered their SIM card between October 25th-November 16th, but did not receive it before November 20th.

Why the November 16th cut-off date you might ask? SIM card orders take 1-2 business days to arrive at your home, and Canada Post does not deliver on the weekends. Knowing that there is a lead time for SIM cards to arrive, we have temporarily stopped SIM card ordering until after the promotion is complete. This is because anyone who would have ordered a SIM card after November 16th would not have received their SIM card in enough time to sign up for the promo plan. We didn’t want anyone to get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

If you get a SIM card at one of our pick-up locations this Friday and Saturday, you will need to sign-up for our promo plan on or before November 20th. The promo plan will not be honoured for these customers after November 20th.

Hey Community,

Yes, you read the subject line correctly! From October 25th to November 20th, we will be offering an amazing promotion where you can get 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120. This equates to 4GB each month for the low, low price of $40 every 30 days. If there was ever a time to get friends and family to join Public Mobile, now would be it!

Check out the full details below to see how you and your friends and family can sign up for this awesome plan!

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

Pick & Pay Customers

If you are an existing Pick & Pay customer and are interested in taking advantage of the promo plan, you have two options:

1. If your plan ends during the promo period: You can sign up for the plan in self-serve, as you normally would to change your plan
  2. If your plan ends after the promo period: You can future date a rate plan change during the promotional period, and have the promo plan take effect after November 20th. For example, if you’re currently on a 90 day plan that ends on November 28th, you will be able to sign into self-serve anytime between October 25th-November 20th and future date the promo plan to take effect upon your existing plan’s completion. Come November 21st, you would no longer be able to future date the promo plan.

This means that everyone has the option to take advantage of this great deal, regardless of when your existing rate plan ends. 

Legacy Customers

If you are a legacy customer who is interested in having this promo plan, you will need to call into the call centre and upgrade to the Pick & Pay plan. Please note that, once you switch to a Pick & Pay plan, you will be unable to switch back to your old plan and will lose access to the call centre.

New Customers: You want to join because the grass is really greener over here

As a new customer, you can add the promo plan when you are prompted in the activation process. You will need to have your SIM card in hand in order to activate, so please be sure to order it first!

-Public Mobile Community team

1,415 REPLIES 1,415

willjivcoff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I don't have a PM sim and I'm not yet a customer but I'd like join and take advantage of this deal. Unfortunately, I'm leaving the country tomorrow for 3 weeks.

Is there any way I can still take advantage of this promotion given my situation?

dl135

I'm interested in this promo. However, I haven't received the SIM card yet. What if it arrives after the promotional period? Can I stil get the deal?

el56
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Regarding dead spots:

If you have access to a working Android phone, the free OpenSignal app is also good at locating the location and strength of the nearest (Bell and Telus) towers to you. It's come in handy for me at times.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Not active silly lol Ready to be activated if a good deal comes along.

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ChameleonX wrote:

So I placed a 2nd order yesterday just in case.

Hi @ChameleonX

Having a 2nd SIM on-hand is always something I recommend. PM don't have stores so you can't just go and easily get a replacement.

[I carry a new unused SIM in my wallet].

Can be used if you want to refer a friend or family member (you might even give it to them for free if they list you as a referrer since you get $1 a month!) - or can be used if you lose your phone. I've never had a SIM malfunction, but I suppose that could happen too.

PHT

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Man, must cost a lot of money to keep all those sims active 😛

Rockdaddy22
This is why I have s sim from almost every carrier in Canada, you never know when you'll need it 🙂

WearySky

@el56 wrote:

@zhadj030 wrote:

Any one in Ottawa tested the coverage ? how long does the SIM takes to arrive and if there was any "deadzones" in the city.?

There is a nice online tool that actually shows you where the cell towers are located. Just choose "Telus" and it will show where they are located in Ottawa (or anywhere else).

There must be some co-operation with Bell, as the PM coverage map shows service in the Maritimes where Telus has no towers but Bell has plenty. What is less clear to be is whether Bell and Telus share towers in areas where both have towers (such as Ottawa).

As already mentioned - Bell and Telus have a tower sharing agreement.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that seeing the map doesn't really give you any idea of what your coverage will actually be like.  I mean, unless you don't see any Telus or Bell towers in your area, then I guess you'll have a pretty good idea. 🙂  

ChameleonX

Thanks @hopetindall

I'm already loving the better coverage and sweet, sweet LTE speeds.  Coming from Wind, you can imagine.

I also just signed up my Wife last night and will be signing up my Mom, but only if her SIM card order would arrive on time.  It shipped last Wednesday with ours but still hasn't arrived yet.  So I placed a 2nd order yesterday just in case.

hopetindall

@el56 wrote:

@zhadj030 wrote:

Any one in Ottawa tested the coverage ? how long does the SIM takes to arrive and if there was any "deadzones" in the city.?

There is a nice online tool that actually shows you where the cell towers are located. Just choose "Telus" and it will show where they are located in Ottawa (or anywhere else).

There must be some co-operation with Bell, as the PM coverage map shows service in the Maritimes where Telus has no towers but Bell has plenty. What is less clear to be is whether Bell and Telus share towers in areas where both have towers (such as Ottawa).

Hi @el56

Yes - remember that in Eastern Canada - most cell sites are operated by Bell (Telus and Bell provide a shared 4G network across the country; with Bell providing the towers in the East and Telus in the West) - so looking at Telus only is misleading.

Look at both Bell and Telus sites to see the coverage.

PHT

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @zhadj030

Ottawa here, same coverage as TELUS.

http://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/network/coverage-map.jsp

Before I was with wind and honestly it sucks, I had to go out of my office building in order to place a call or get signal.... Now I am happily with LTE speed and good signal inside the building.

@zhadj030 wrote:

el56

@zhadj030 wrote:

hopetindall

@ChameleonX wrote:

Hi @udayr9

I can't speak for others, but when I ported my number over from Wind last Thursday, it only took a few minutes.  I couldn't believe it.  Basically from the time I had finished the signup process online to inserting my new SIM card.  When I powered on my phone, I was in!

However I've read posts where others weren't as lucky as me.

Welcome @ChameleonX

My wife and I ported 2 lines from Rogers, and I setup 2 new lines as well (extra linefor me, one for family member).

Everything happened seamlessly! Ports completed within the hour.

I suspect we're only hearing about those horror stories where something went wrong; and there's no way to tell what percentage this is.

I hope you save lots of money with PM (as I am) and receive great wireless servicve (as I am also!) 🙂

PHT

ChameleonX

Hi @udayr9

I can't speak for others, but when I ported my number over from Wind last Thursday, it only took a few minutes.  I couldn't believe it.  Basically from the time I had finished the signup process online to inserting my new SIM card.  When I powered on my phone, I was in!

However I've read posts where others weren't as lucky as me.

From what I read in the community the answer is yes, it seems it does fall under the calling plans including voice mail , and almost all call options

srlawren
@sameer76 yes, yes, and yes. All the standard calling features are included at no extra cost.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

sameer76

Hi

I am alooking at switching to PM from another carrier. While I see the plan details, it doesnt tell me whether i get caller id, voicemail, call display etc as part of the plan?.. Could you please clarify that.

Thanks

Sameer

el56

@jairolevi wrote:

OMG, this is all we are going to hear in this thread until Nov 20...

Is it Nov 21st yet?????

JL

Well, this thread is about the special promotion. The subject line even talks about the urgency to act soon.

What else were you expecting here besides questions from people frantically trying to get it? Smiley Wink

JJregular

Hello,

In regards to this promotion, I've signed up for it few weeks ago in self serve. It marked that my plan will adjust to the promotion plan during my next pay period of Nov 14th. So I thought all was well.

When my next pay period came, auto-pay did not pay and my plan did not activate because I changed credit cards. And when I check my plan, it was no longer lined up to change. 

So I tried to change plans and it didn't allow me until i topped off my account with the current bill. So I did that, and when I did, it automatically paid the bill for my previous plan.

I tried to activate the current promotion, but now it says it will come into effect in the NEXT 90 days of Feb. Is there any way for me to receive the promotion this current pay period? I'm afraid that during the next pay period, the promotion won't go through even though I selected it. (as I have selected it a few weeks ago and it did not apply).

Cause if this was the case, I should've just canceled the plan and sign up again from scratch to receive the promotion. Instead I'm stuck on the old plan of 2GB a month.

Please help! I don't want to miss out on this deal.

Thank you,

John

jairolevi

Quick answer: Order the sim NOW, its just 5 bucks.

If it arrives on time, great.

If it doesnt PM still have great plans... worst case keep the sim and keep your eyes open for future promotions.

JL

@bcsteeve wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked.

I only *just* heard about public mobile from a post on Facebook about this current plan that sounds awesome.  Now I see there's a few days left, but the first post here says new customers have to have SIM in hand... so is it effectively too late for me?  

udayr9

Thanks how much time does the port in number take ? and what happens while this is going on 

jairolevi

OMG, this is all we are going to hear in this thread until Nov 20...

@el56 wrote:

How long does it take to get the SIM card? How is it sent?

Is it Nov 21st yet?????

JL

bcsteeve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sorry if this has been asked.

I only *just* heard about public mobile from a post on Facebook about this current plan that sounds awesome.  Now I see there's a few days left, but the first post here says new customers have to have SIM in hand... so is it effectively too late for me?  

el56

Hi all.

I ordered a SIM card over the weekend with a Toronto delivery address.

How long does it take to get the SIM card? How is it sent?
If it doesn't come by the end of the week is there any way I can still sign up for the special plan?

Many thanks for any help that can be offered.

hopetindall

@udayr9 wrote:

Hello PM Community, I am thinking of joining PM on their 40$ plan, could you please advise how good/reliable is PM network for voice and data ?

Thanks in advance

Hi @udayr9 

The 'Network' is the shared Bell/Telus network.

It is a premier 'Big-Three' network.

While the specific location of where you live, where you work, and where you go may have slighty better or worse reception between the big three - in general you can expect great coverage and a reliable network.

You just need to look at the number of customers that Bell and Telus have to know that they have a 'reliable' and 'good' network!

The good news is that the service is prepaid. So signup and try it out before you port your number over and commit.

I'm sure you'll be happy.

PHT

WearySky

I believe you meant to type "Telus/Koodo", @Rockdaddy22 🙂

Rockdaddy22
It uses the /Koodo network, hopefully that's all you need to know.

udayr9

Hello PM Community, I am thinking of joining PM on their 40$ plan, could you please advise how good/reliable is PM network for voice and data ?

Thanks in advance

JUNA1D5HAH
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

thanks @benj I hope I get them in time

Need Help? Let's chat.