cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] Last day to get our limited time 4GB / $40 promo plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Note: The promo plan has been removed from our website; however is still available in the activation portal and in Self-Serve. 

We will be honouring the promo plan for all customers who ordered their SIM card between October 25th-November 16th, but did not receive it before November 20th.

Why the November 16th cut-off date you might ask? SIM card orders take 1-2 business days to arrive at your home, and Canada Post does not deliver on the weekends. Knowing that there is a lead time for SIM cards to arrive, we have temporarily stopped SIM card ordering until after the promotion is complete. This is because anyone who would have ordered a SIM card after November 16th would not have received their SIM card in enough time to sign up for the promo plan. We didn’t want anyone to get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

If you get a SIM card at one of our pick-up locations this Friday and Saturday, you will need to sign-up for our promo plan on or before November 20th. The promo plan will not be honoured for these customers after November 20th.

Hey Community,

Yes, you read the subject line correctly! From October 25th to November 20th, we will be offering an amazing promotion where you can get 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120. This equates to 4GB each month for the low, low price of $40 every 30 days. If there was ever a time to get friends and family to join Public Mobile, now would be it!

Check out the full details below to see how you and your friends and family can sign up for this awesome plan!

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

Pick & Pay Customers

If you are an existing Pick & Pay customer and are interested in taking advantage of the promo plan, you have two options:

1. If your plan ends during the promo period: You can sign up for the plan in self-serve, as you normally would to change your plan
  2. If your plan ends after the promo period: You can future date a rate plan change during the promotional period, and have the promo plan take effect after November 20th. For example, if you’re currently on a 90 day plan that ends on November 28th, you will be able to sign into self-serve anytime between October 25th-November 20th and future date the promo plan to take effect upon your existing plan’s completion. Come November 21st, you would no longer be able to future date the promo plan.

This means that everyone has the option to take advantage of this great deal, regardless of when your existing rate plan ends. 

Legacy Customers

If you are a legacy customer who is interested in having this promo plan, you will need to call into the call centre and upgrade to the Pick & Pay plan. Please note that, once you switch to a Pick & Pay plan, you will be unable to switch back to your old plan and will lose access to the call centre.

New Customers: You want to join because the grass is really greener over here

As a new customer, you can add the promo plan when you are prompted in the activation process. You will need to have your SIM card in hand in order to activate, so please be sure to order it first!

-Public Mobile Community team

1,415 REPLIES 1,415

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes texting and data is good anywhere in Canada where they have a network (basically Telus network).

Jiangjun1949
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
If I travel outside of my province within Canada, 12G data of promo plan still good to use or not?

Ionut

@calvinng you won't be charged if you take an outside call. The only things which you can do with Province-Wide. You can only Call in Ontario. No more call outside of ON. YOu still have signal, you can still use your data, (i believe) but you can only call locally. 

calvinng
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the help guys!Cat Happy

Also, would I be charged if I take an incoming call from another province with the province-wide call feature ?

Thanks again!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ionut that makes sense, the data-based approach works better for occasional/casual calling patterns, but wouldn't suit you well indeed.

The pricing discrepency is due to the promotion.  If you choose the province-wide, global text, plus 12GB 90 day plan currently, PM is adding an extra $86 promtotional discount above the usual $60 pick-3 90 day discount.  After Nov 20th, you'll see this return to normal, the price difference from Province-wide to Canada-wide will return to $15, the difference from Canada-wide to Canada+US-wide will return to $15, and the difference from Province-wide to Canada+US-wide will return to $30, all per 90 days.  

For whatever marketing reason, PM chose only the province-wide version of the plan for this promotional discount. I believe this is a new move for PM, I've yet to see them do something like this in the time I've been a customer.  I can't say for sure, but if this is successful (and it's looking to be!), I could imagine they may run different promotions in the future, that may or may not meet your needs better.  We can only hope.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jonavin

@Ionut totally understand. In your case I would just use Hangouts... but then again I don't really do a lot of calling any more. I can see why you'd prefer Canada-wide calling.

Ionut

@Jonavin because i travel a lot and i need to call wide. 90% of time i'm in other region. Either VC, either BC and so . Which Province-Wide won't help me out. You know :)?

Ionut

@srlawren it's still not fit my need. I need to call everydat to USA. I have time when i have 5-6 hours daily conversation. I've tried, fongo, google voice, hangout, many many many. The quality it's not the same. Also I call and travel  outside of Ontario to. So this won't help me out., 90% of call i do are outside of Ontario. Which technicaly the Canada-local it's not an option. 

Still waiting to decrease the price on 12 gb data and i will kick in. Also the construction is weird.

If you choose 90 day plans, global texting, 12 gb of data, and after play with the calling feature you will see how huge is the difference. From Canada -local to canada Wide 80$ for usa&cad add 17 $ 😐

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JaK wrote:

@ute1978@WearySky, take a look at my post from just before this, think you are both partly right.

It is still very confusing to me and I gave up trying to explain to myself in what situation I am in with my plan...

srlawren

@Ionut further to @Jonavin's add-ons suggestion, you could alternatively use a free data-base service for your long distance needs.  Let me know if you'd like some more details, but basically with Hangouts Dialer you can call to Canada and I believe the US for free, and with your own PM number as the outgoing caller ID info.  There are other options too (Fongo, voip.ms, many others), though most would show their own number instead of your primary PM number as the outgoing caller ID (which may or may not be a problem for you).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

nishufan

Amazing, already switched to this new plan. Thanks PMSmiley Happy

JaK

@ute1978@WearySky, take a look at my post from just before this, think you are both partly right.

ute1978

@WearySky wrote:

@ute1978 wrote:
I don't think this is true.

I have a Saskatchewan number, live in Alberta and I am on province-wide, and I have a long distance add on. But I DO NOT PAY for incoming calls while I am in my home province AB.

So while you are in BC where you live, you should not pay minutes for incoming calls.

That doesn't sound right.  When you're in Alberta, you're connected to Alberta towers.  Calls to your Saskatchewan number should register as long distance calls.

Nope. I have the 400 minutes long distance add on and talk with a lot of people who call me. Out of 400 minutes I used roughly 60 in 6 months when I called.....So something isn't right with the info on how the province wide calling works...

Jonavin

@Ionut

Why not just add pay per use addon. Depending on how much actual calling you do, that might be cheaper. $30 buys you 800 minutes for Canada, US and beyond.

Jonavin

Let's see. When I started it was 3GB for 3 months for $120.  Then before my renewal, you changed it to 6GB for 3 months for $120. Now I'm nearing my second renewal and you've changed it to 12GB for 3 months for $120. Should I get used to ever increasing data for the same amout? 😉  j/k

Great job PM! I can truly say I'm getting more and paying less (rewards and referrals).

Ionut

Even do it's an amazing offert it still not fit my needs:( If i could keep my usa& cad calling for extra 30-40 bucks i will move to this one. 

WearySky

@ute1978 wrote:

I have a Saskatchewan number, live in Alberta and I am on province-wide, and I have a long distance add on. But I DO NOT PAY for incoming calls while I am in my home province AB.

So while you are in BC where you live, you should not pay minutes for incoming calls.

That doesn't sound right.  When you're in Alberta, you're connected to Alberta towers.  Calls to your Saskatchewan number should register as long distance calls.

JaK

Hi @ute1978@WearySky@engelsg

Pretty sure that the way it works for province wide plans is that if you are out of province, "local" (ie same province) incoming calls are in plan ("free"), as are local outgoing calls, but incoming calls from all other provinces (including your home province) will require a LD add on. So in @engelsg's case, imcoming from BC would be free, but not from anywhere else, (whereas if he had a BC number, all incoming are free).

EDIT: Then again, maybe not. Here's what the fine print says from the Plans page:

Includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A long distance talk add-on is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province.

@ute1978 wrote:

@WearySky wrote:

@engelsg wrote:

So having an AB number and living in BC I'd have to use long distance minutes for all incoming calls?

With a province-wide plan, yes.  

srlawren

@calvinng wrote:

Hello, I'm new to public mobile. I just ordered my sim card today and have some questions about public mobile.

1.For the promo 12GB 90 day plan, does everything remains the same promo plan after the 90 days or would it be easily changed by public mobile in the future? In other words, would I be able to keep the 12GB promo plan after 90days without worrying being cancelled or altered?

2.Can I port my current phone number over?

3.Is the promo plan/public mobile offered in prepaid? Would I be charged after the 12GB limit and at what rate?

Thank you!

1. You can keep the plan for as long as you keep your account active (not suspended for 90+ days).  If you change to another plan after Nov 20th, you will lose this plan, but if you don't, and keep your account active, you can keep it indefinitely.

2. Absolutely.

3. PM is entirely pre-paid.  If you hit the 12GB, your data service stops, no overage charges.  If you want it to continue, you can purchase data add-ons to get you to your renewal date.  They are $30 for 1GB.  There is a 200MB add-on as well, but I forget the cost.  It's more than 1/5 of the $30 though.  These are expensive, so if you anticipate routinely needing more than about 4GB per month, PM may not be your best option.

EDIT:  @WearySky looks like we were typing more or less the same thing at more or less the same time.  😉  Great minds think alike!  🙂

WearySky

@calvinng wrote:

Hello, I'm new to public mobile. I just ordered my sim card today and have some questions about public mobile.

1.For the promo 12GB 90 day plan, does everything remains the same promo plan after the 90 days or would it be easily changed by public mobile in the future? In other words, would I be able to keep the 12GB promo plan after 90days without worrying being cancelled or altered?

3.Is the promo plan/public mobile offered in prepaid? Would I be charged after the 12GB limit and at what rate?

Thank you!

1 - as per the OP, you remain on this plan as long as you are a PM customer.  In theory, PM *can* change the price in the future, but I don't believe they've ever done this (and they have to post a notice about it 30 days before they do)

2 - yes.  Don't cancel your existing line, just port your number over when you sign up

3 - Public Mobile is *only* prepaid.  Once your 12GB data is used up, your data gets cut off.

shoaibahmed

what happened after 90 Days would it be the same price?

calvinng

Thank you!

shoaibahmed

Hello

i have few question, please help.

Thids is my first time posting, i saw a good promo

1- but how this work?

2- i cant find the number or location in Markham

3- after 90 Day my plan expires or it will keep going...

thanks

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Isn't it awesome ? @JMCD 

Hope you enjoy it Robot Very Happy

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

JaK

Hi @engelsg;

One alternative is to set up a PM account with a new number (keep that in AB so that you pay less tax) and then port your current AB number to a VOIP app, like Fongo. As data is always Canada wide, you won't be charged for incoming calls this way. Downside, the VOIP apps are generally not as handy to use as the native phone dialer.

ute1978

@WearySky wrote:

@engelsg wrote:

So having an AB number and living in BC I'd have to use long distance minutes for all incoming calls?

WearySky

@engelsg wrote:

JMCD

Alright PM, you got me to leave my grandfathered 1GB/90 day plan lol. Well done.

engelsg

@WearySky wrote:

@engelsg wrote:

Does the province wide calling apply to the province I'm in, the home province of my phone number, or the province of my billing address?

It will apply to your phone number.  For receiving calls, you'll need to have a LD add-on if you're not in the province connected to your phone number.  To make calls, though, I believe you should be able to make outgoing calls to the province that you are currently located in (cell phone long distance rules are weird)

Yes, he can call for free within the province he's in without LD add-on. For incoming and outgoing to other provinces, he ll need that add-on. Add-on mins will be deducted for incoming and outgoing to another provinces. 

Need Help? Let's chat.