cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Pilot] Certified Pre-Owned Phones Now Available at Public

Jess_D
Customer Support Agent

Hey Community, 

Over the years, Public Mobile has committed to providing affordable wireless service for Canadians on the country's best network. We’ve primarily focused on providing wireless service, but now we are excited to announce that we are piloting Certified Pre-Owned phones! Each phone is backed by a 1-year limited warranty and includes a $0 Public Mobile SIM. This launch is a direct result of the feedback you all have shared with us over time around how we can make the Public Mobile experience better. Over the next few months we will be testing this out to see what customer response is like and how we can optimize our processes.

Starting today you’ll be able to purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Phone online only. Our Certified Pre-Owned phones are refurbished phones that are tested, inspected, fixed, cleaned and re-packaged to look and function like-new. Because of this, we are able to offer our phones at a price you and your wallet will love. Please note, we do not offer financing on these phones.  

Inventory of these devices is limited, so if you’re interested make sure to act fast! We’ll constantly be adding new devices to the catalogue as they become available and removing those that are out of stock.

These phones are available for purchase only on our website so make sure to check it out! There are only a handful of Samsung Galaxy S10s as a launch special - be sure to act fast before they are gone.

For more information on Certified Pre-Owned phones, please visit our Help Articles

Are you going to be purchasing one of our Certified Pre-Owned phones? Let us know below!

-The Public Mobile Team

172 REPLIES 172

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

$180 for a used 6s is expensive

TMS

Yay. Good job. Hurray. Awesome.

- for offering phones. 

Nay. Fail. Boo. Not Awesome. 
- for the phones/prices offered. 

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

With proper maintainance and tweaks a phone can last aLOT longer than 3 years... Same with computers. If you're phones getting slow you don't necessarily need a new one... You need a reformat first. There would be residual junk from apps tried and deleted etc

I only last year retired a Samsung Galaxy s2 equivalent. Its very possible with proper care

Yes, you can use a phone a lot longer than 3 years, but many people won't want to. I don't believe that computers are a fair comparison. Most computer systems from even 10 years ago can still run the most current operating system. The same can't be said about cell phones. And even if it a cellular device can run the most current operating system after 3 years, it involves running custom software that many people wouldn't want to venture into.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

With proper maintainance and tweaks a phone can last aLOT longer than 3 years... Same with computers. If you're phones getting slow you don't necessarily need a new one... You need a reformat first. There would be residual junk from apps tried and deleted etc

I only last year retired a Samsung Galaxy s2 equivalent. Its very possible with proper care

@Korth wrote:

@will13am 

It's common accounting practice to assume mobile phones have a useful life of 3 years and are thus assets which depreciate 33.33% of their value each year until (from a business perspective) they're no longer worth anything. Hanging onto them longer usually starts adding other costs - replacement batteries, parts, repairs, incompatibility or unreliability, etc - which (from a business perspective) makes purchasing newer devices the smarter decision.

This is even faster depreciation than computer tech (in the offices or in the yucky server closet) which lose 25% of their value (as assets) each year until they're worth nothing.

Some companies need to analyze this depreciation of mobile phone values in finer detail - or refer to published summaries of cell phone depreciations - because wireless phones are somehow part of their business and represent a whole lot of money. These sorts of analyses invariably end up making the "real" value of mobile phones depreciate far more in far shorter timeframes than the simpler accounting practices.

So I'm surprised they don't do the same thing for unsold inventory. Like the example I provided above with deluded craigslist vendors thinking the tech toys they bought for $1000 a couple years ago should be resellable for prices approaching $1000 today - especially on "used" or "refurbed" items - it's just not realistic thinking when customers have the ability to compare prices and offerings with everything else on the market.

Not every company has inventory. Or an abundance of inventory. It is very easy to see who uses these inventory control techniques. And I can reassure you it increases the cost of the item, but no one will admit it. 

Some online filled items can be shipped centrally. Is called QR or Quick Response and items are shipped from the source or a third party for a number of resellers, directly to the end consumer. 

Some retailers will carry inventory at preset levels and their JIT inventory will be replenished once the preset inventory level drops and triggers a new order. Just In Time inventory can be shipped to retailer or the QR Inventory holder in batches or on a one for one basis. 

So huge surpluses of unsold inventory is not to be expected. Surplus inventories of smart phones are identified and a sales marketing method will be developed to sell it off. 

Refurbished cannot always be trusted but I would expect to see a new OEM battery and a physical and diagnostic check to be done. And the one year warranty should protect you if the phone is a lemon. The only drawback is how many operating system updates will you receive? But it is STILL A USEABLE  phone and can give you good service for years to come. 

I don't understand why some here are criticizing the offer or trying to restructure it to what could have been. 

No doubt most of us here are using a second hand phone, a hand me down, or one that you paid FULL RETAIL PRICE for through your now expired contract. 

PM has developed a good one stop shop for those that can’t afford the full price of a new phone. And remember IT IS ONLY A PHONE and what ever other benefit you get out of it is a bonus. Thus the need to know what bonuses would serve you the best. 

Not everyone is going to buy a phone from PM but it sure will help them gain more customers. And sure, others will continue to have an abundance of used inventory available over the next 2 years. For me....I will have 13 phones available over the next 2 years. And others will have similar. 

In my first days of prepaid service in BC we bought 2 refurbished flip phones decades ago from Telus....issues....NONE. 

@will13am 

It's common accounting practice to assume mobile phones have a useful life of 3 years and are thus assets which depreciate 33.33% of their value each year until (from a business perspective) they're no longer worth anything. Hanging onto them longer usually starts adding other costs - replacement batteries, parts, repairs, incompatibility or unreliability, etc - which (from a business perspective) makes purchasing newer devices the smarter decision.

This is even faster depreciation than computer tech (in the offices or in the yucky server closet) which lose 25% of their value (as assets) each year until they're worth nothing.

Some companies need to analyze this depreciation of mobile phone values in finer detail - or refer to published summaries of cell phone depreciations - because wireless phones are somehow part of their business and represent a whole lot of money. These sorts of analyses invariably end up making the "real" value of mobile phones depreciate far more in far shorter timeframes than the simpler accounting practices.

So I'm surprised they don't do the same thing for unsold inventory. Like the example I provided above with deluded craigslist vendors thinking the tech toys they bought for $1000 a couple years ago should be resellable for prices approaching $1000 today - especially on "used" or "refurbed" items - it's just not realistic thinking when customers have the ability to compare prices and offerings with everything else on the market.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

There's nothing in it for public to subsidize the phones? Well, it would potentially keep the customer with public at least for the length of the subsidy, or theyd have to pay more to buy out of their subsidy plan early and pay off device... In the long term keep more customers? 🤷as of now customers overall hop to wherever works best in the now. This could stop some of that hopping in public's favor ?

To me the word subsidy means the grant or gift of money as if a subsidized phone would be sold for at a loss.  That ain't ever happening.  Carriers could play around with the numbers and artificially assign a reduced value to hardware and then bury some of the artificial cost savings in the form of higher service fee.  The overall outcome is preservation of income margins.  The Canadian telecoms are dividend aristocrats for a reason, lol.  

Pawprints1986

There's nothing in it for public to subsidize the phones? Well, it would potentially keep the customer with public at least for the length of the subsidy, or theyd have to pay more to buy out of their subsidy plan early and pay off device... In the long term keep more customers? 🤷as of now customers overall hop to wherever works best in the now. This could stop some of that hopping in public's favor ?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv 

Yeah, all about priorities. Too many people pay for "wants" instead of "needs".

I honestly think if you can't afford the latest-and-greatest $2000 premium flagship superphone then you shouldn't commit yourself to a long-term debt (and a higher overall pricetag) to obtain that phone. You should reassess your needs with what you can obtain or you should reassess how you plan to obtain your wants.

But old-fashioned values, lol, it reeks of stodgy cheapness and "anti-consumerism" in today's brand-name age.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote: I agree. Anyone could pick up a $100 or $200 smartphone from the selection at any store within driving range. (Unless they live far, far away from the nearest city.)

But many people do not balance their "budget" and "needs" very wisely.

I doubt that PM will have much luck selling any $300+ CPO phones. People who can afford it (already have the cash available) will likely prefer to spend it towards something better. People who cannot afford it (never have the cash available) have no way to pay for it without some kind of loan or financing.

@Korth We have seen a few posts on here from people saying they needed a new phone so they were leaving PM because they could get a new $0 phone with a traditional provider. Along the lines of buying a car. I ask" how much is it going to cost me", most people ask "what will my payments be". To each their own.

@ccdevmike wrote:

Buying your own phone and using it on PM is really not that expensive or hard to do. You just need to find the right phone for your budget and needs. 

I agree. Anyone could pick up a $100 or $200 smartphone from the selection at any store within driving range. (Unless they live far, far away from the nearest city.)

But many people do not balance their "budget" and "needs" very wisely.

I doubt that PM will have much luck selling any $300+ CPO phones. People who can afford it (already have the cash available) will likely prefer to spend it towards something better. People who cannot afford it (never have the cash available) have no way to pay for it without some kind of loan or financing.

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Pawprints1986 

Maybe public mobile could consider having a third party financing/borrower such as paybrite who offer equal payment loan services for a small fee ( usually 4 payments/$7-$20).

Everybody involved would want to make something out of the transaction otherwise there is nothing in it for them to be involved.  I cannot see how this would make purchases cheaper for the customer.  

Perhaps not immediately because that would be too obvious, but in the long run, this type of program will make the devices costs more on average. Somebody has to to pay the price for financing, and it isn't going to be the carrier.

ccdevmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Buying your own phone and using it on PM is really not that expensive or hard to do. You just need to find the right phone for your budget and needs. 

@darlicious wrote:

@Pawprints1986 

Maybe public mobile could consider having a third party financing/borrower such as paybrite who offer equal payment loan services for a small fee ( usually 4 payments/$7-$20).

Everybody involved would want to make something out of the transaction otherwise there is nothing in it for them to be involved.  I cannot see how this would make purchases cheaper for the customer.  

@SomeFriend wrote:

It would be nice if Public Mobile considered subsidizing the phones by getting people to commit to a certain period of time by paying upfront for the required term with phone purchase.

While they can lock devices, a lot of US carriers will sell discounted prepaid phones but only unlock devices after six months.  Maybe Public Mobile can request six months paid upfront in exchange for a reduced price on the phone.

I respectfully disagree.  There are no free lunches.  Carriers are not charities.  What I have found over the years is it is best to shop for the phone separate from the service.  I am sure that if Public Mobile were to "subsidize these phones", the plan costs would go up accordingly.  Every year around black Friday to boxing week timeframe, there are always deals to be found.  

@Pawprints1986 

Device subsidies require postpaid, and contracts, and long-term commits. None of that works on a "pay as you go" third-tier BYOD value brand like PM. (Many people do stay with PM over the long term, by choice instead of by obligation, because of the Rewards. Contracts also come with contract-breakers and the need for collections/retentions departments, just more deviation from PM's core "no frills" business model.)

And the OEMs (device makers) are often part of the deal. It's an arrangement to get more of their newest toys into the hands of more customers. Not something which would interest them (and so not as profitable for the carrier, not so much of a deal for the consumer) when it involves devices they effectively abandoned several generations and several years ago.

@SomeFriend wrote:

It would be nice if Public Mobile considered subsidizing the phones by getting people to commit to a certain period of time by paying upfront for the required term with phone purchase.

While they can lock devices, a lot of US carriers will sell discounted prepaid phones but only unlock devices after six months.  Maybe Public Mobile can request six months paid upfront in exchange for a reduced price on the phone.

@SomeFriend I disagree with the idea of device subsidazation.  If Public Mobile goes that route, I'm not sure that there would be any reason for Telus to continue with the brand.

SomeFriend

JLakerson
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is a great idea! I really like how Public Mobile acknowledges and considers our suggestions. I hope this brings in lots of new customers!

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

This could be very interesting! Currently we have to buy outright elsewhere or switch to koodo... Eliminating this need, I doubt it but do wonder if it could spark some actually real competition, resulting in better mobile and service prices all around... Hmm 🤔 I'm not in current need myself but I'll be interested to see how this goes !

@Pawprints1986, you will still need to purchase the phone outright here.  There is no option to add a TAB to your plan here to subsidize the phone.  If that is what the customer needs they will still need to move up the food chain or to another provider

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

This could be very interesting! Currently we have to buy outright elsewhere or switch to koodo... Eliminating this need, I doubt it but do wonder if it could spark some actually real competition, resulting in better mobile and service prices all around... Hmm 🤔 I'm not in current need myself but I'll be interested to see how this goes !

Some time ago, it was rather difficult to get phones other than through carriers. That is no longer the case. I would say that within maybe the last 7 or 8 years, unlocked phones not attached to carrier services have been widely available. I don't see these pre-owned phone offerings changing things much for Public Mobile customers.

Yes I think it is a good strategy. A good used phone, warranted, and a SIM card. Perfect for a one stop start up. 

Pawprints1986

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Jess_D the selection is limited, but it's a good start.  There are members who really don't know whom to trust in buying pre-owned phones, so this is good for them.  I see that a couple of members had already placed their orders, so good for you and them.

I am not looking for a smart phone right now, but if I were, I would certainly look at what PM has to offer and then compare the prices with Amazon and other retailers I trust.  

May the force be always be with Public Mobile 😊

DDM69

This is certainly a good option.  Hopefully this service doesn't affect the future of Public Mobile pricing.  It's great to see a company listens to its customers. 😁

metropublic

@Hello_Jackson wrote:

Thanks for that information, I will probably just go with a different phone then.

@Hello_Jackson  Google Pixels 2 are currently running the latest Android version and as mentioned  will stop updates on Dec 2020 but you will still get security updates via Google Play on a monthly basis. That is a lot better than most Android manufacturers out there.

Wow!! This came out of left field......personally I find the offerings underwhelming especially the iPhone 6s. At the very least any of the iPhone 7 models would have been better. The same with Google pixel 2 they are overpriced and soon to be obsolete. But they are inline with other store sold 1 year warranty backed devices but with limited stock to find.

iPhone 6s

1. Retailers : 32gb $199/$209 -  $299/$399
  2. Craigslist : 16gb $80/$100 32gb $100/$120 - $150/$199 64gb $140/$150 - $175

Pixel 2/2xl

1. Retailers : $179  2xl : $399/$450/$499
  2. Craigslist : $150/$165 - $175/$185  2xl : $175/$180 - $199/$250

Samsung galaxy S8

1. Retailers : $357/$379 - $399/$459
  2. Craigslist : $180/$225 - $250/$300

Samsung galaxy S10

1. Retailers : $599/$629/$649 (open box) $819/$919 dual SIM (new)
  2. Craigslist : $390/$400 - $450/$495   $519/$575 - $579/$650+up

All Craigslist prices are from private single ad sellers w/real photos listed as mint condition.  All had the original box, charger, cord + some accessories(case, ear buds, screen protector...)

It really depends on how much risk you're willing to take with no warranty and an unverified seller although common sense and your gut feeling should alleviate some risk. I think @treefrog had a good point that a good Alcatel flip phone for $50 and moto G series or even an LG5/6/7 $100 - $200 would be of better value and offer more price points for users.

Haiggy

This is great! I do, however, wish to point out that the picture of the back of the iPhone 6s in black is not an iPhone 6s, but a 7 or 8? https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone-section/iPhone_6s

@computergeek541 wrote:

Kijij pricing clearly varies from seller to seller, but I'll say that I've usually found Kijiji prices on used electronic to ridiculously expensive.

I'm guessing you understand that a lot of people pay top dollar for high-end phones and computers - then later try to sell those things at top dollar price points. Sometimes they knock the price down from what they paid. But not enough to reflect how much those items have depreciated actual value in an alarmingly short time.

A $1000 phone might be worth $750 in a year, $500 in two years, $250 in three years. You might have paid almost $2000 for that superior flagship phone or over $5000 for that ultra-gaming computer a couple years ago - and it might still be a magnificent machine - but good luck if you expect dated tech to still have that value (especially as a "used" item) on resale.

Most consumers won't pay more when they can buy themselves new phones - newer models, newer tech, newer fashions - which cost the same but deliver more. (It's not the buyer's problem that the seller wants cash to buy their own upgrades.)

This is why the CPO collection of circa-2015 phones at circa-2018 prices seems unappealing. A couple of the prices actually aren't too bad. But the newer models on store shelves today are a better (and more compelling) value.

Need Help? Let's chat.