Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture and Group Messaging End Date | Feb 14

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Starting February 14th, 2024, select customers may be required to update either their settings or upgrade their device to continue using Multimedia Messaging Service, better known as MMS without interruption. 

Who is affected by this change?
Customers may be affected if:

• The most recent software update from the manufacturer has not been installed
  • Devices are no longer supported by the manufacturer’s software updates
  • Devices are purchased outside Canada

You will be contacted to upgrade their device. 

For more information on how to update your settings (IOS & Android) or device recommendation to ensure compatibility, review this Help Article. 

What is MMS?
Multimedia Messaging Service is the way mobile devices send and receive pictures, videos and group conversations across networks.

MMS is supported across phone manufacturers and operating systems on nearly all phone models that have data capabilities. MMS messages are sent through your normal messaging app that sends and receives text messages. 

Note: Third-party messaging services, such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp, that have picture, video and group message features are not affected by this change.

What do I do if I get an email saying I need a new or replacement device?
As our network evolves, older devices (usually from 2015 or earlier) may require replacement. Rest assured, your voice, SMS, and data services will not be impacted by this change. We regularly make network updates to ensure our customers are kept up-to-date with the latest security and software updates from manufacturers. 

If you’re interested in continuing to use picture and group messaging services we have partnered with Mobile Klinik to bring you top-quality Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) phones that are tested and inspected by expert technicians to work like new at a fraction of the cost. With over 150 store locations across Canada, and an online website, Mobile Klinik offer's convenient access to a wide selection of refurbished devices that are backed by a 1 year warranty.

- The Public Mobile Team 

95 REPLIES 95

@Kjh875

please message PM support directly using this link:

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Kjh875
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Did you ever hear back? I can't even reach PM support directly because of their website errors. I have a '23 Oneplus and have lost ability to reply to group texts and text attachments even after APN update. Unbelievable 

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

After numerous back and forth between CS Agents and then subsequently forwarded to the technical department, their conclusion is "Network doesn't support your phone, please upgrade your phone". For context, I use a OnePlus 7 Pro, a 2019 phone. If they are dropping support for 5 year old phones, what's the point of upgrading? They will just drop support for my new phone in 5 years. Better to just upgrade my carrier instead... 

charanth1822

I'd like to take this time to remind everyone of CCTS who PM themselves sends me a text on regularly.

"Unresolved complaint about telecom or residential TV service? CCTS may be able to help. 1-888-221-1687 or www.ccts-cprst.ca."

charanth1822

Sure, but i can't control how people message me. Especially clients and coworkers who like to send pictures (MMS) of issues they are having. Plus this new set up doesn't even tell them that i didn't get the message.

charanth1822

It does change things. As even with the new apn setting many of our devices stopped working.

Yggy

@softech wrote:
 you can make a manual update, here are the old and new settings

You can update the settings, but that won't work for all devices, it didn't work for my Motorola g6. 😞

charanth1822

I hear Freedom supports OnePlus

charanth1822

I think you are about to loose a bunch of customers... 
I've lost track of how long I've been with Public Mobile, since before i was father and my son just had his 10th birthday. This move is seriously making me reconsider.

For reference my one plus was bought in Canada, is a 2020 model and OS was updated as recently as last month with some security patch.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is ridiculous. MMS on my OnePlus 7 Pro stopped working all of a sudden. Dropping support on a 2019 device is absurd... 

mcdougal

Thanks @keepasa, that's super good info, even if it only adds to my confusion 🙂

I'm running Ubuntu Touch, which is fully linux, not Android or iOS, so I'm even more off-label in my use. But MMS has worked for me up til now and I can't get anything to work with the new settings. I'm sure you'll be fine if the new settings are working for you now. Thanks a lot for posting that.

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi @mcdougal  I also have the Oneplus 5 and my APN settings got auto updated to the new settings.  I'm running android 12 on it currently (3rd party sw since support ended on Android ver 10).  I guess I'll have to wait til Feb 14-15 to verify if NMS continues to work.

mcdougal

Thanks for passing that on, Zula. Bad news, but better to know. If your Oneplus 11 won't work I don't have a lot of hope for my Oneplus 5T. I'd love to hear from users of other modern phones from more brands that're more common in North America but which aren't on the list of approved devices. How are Pixel 3 users or Samsung S20 and S21 users faring?

I called Telus today (and learned we're not supposed to do that). While the fellow I talked to directed me toward publicmobile.ca, he was good enough to talk to me a bit. He said he's very familiar with this issue, but said he thinks it's "a crazy email" and that it won't necessarily be the case that we can't keep our existing APNs. I'm really unconvinced by this, but thought I should pass it on. The date for Telus and Koodo is Feb 7 rather than our Feb 14, I dunno why. Maybe we'll be able to learn something from those users' experience after the 7th, given it's all the same overarching company and network.

Zula

Here's my response from Escalation:

Zula_0-1707175406193.png

Zula

Nothing from PM CS yet. So far their only solution was to switch from my phone to one on their "supported" list so I'm not optimistic...

mcdougal

When you hear back from a supervisor, please let us know. There're many Oneplus users. I've had no problem on Public Mobile til now (have been thrilled to have found such good value and really pleasantly surprised with things like gifted data, indefinite rollovers, etc). But I too am gone if they cancel service for Oneplus, and the sooner I could know the better. Was hoping we might hear back from @J_PM 

Zula

@softech my ticket's been escalated to a supervisor, so maybe I'll get someone in CS that is more knowledgeable. 

@Zula yes, have agent to confirm on the system.  There was another customer updated with new APN, but agent still sees the phone trying to access the old server.  Maybe they can tell what was wrkng 

Zula

@computergeek541 I deleted the old one in my attempts to troubleshoot, so there's no other APN settings for the phone to even accidentally look to.

Zula

Thanks for the suggestion @hTideGnow ...but I had already tried both a reset and also manually updating the APN settings before I contacted Public Mobile CS. From what I've been reading this appears to be a OnePlus device on the Telus network problem, which is why I think my only option is to switch to back SaskTel and simply pay more. I guess my experience with Public Mobile just proves you get what you pay for.

@Zula wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion @softech...but I'd already done the APN settings update before I contacted Public Mobile CS.

After adding the new APN, did you select it as the active one?  Unless that is done, the phone could continue using the old one when there is more that one set of configurations saved.

Zula

Thanks for the suggestion @softech...but I'd already done the APN settings update before I contacted Public Mobile CS.

@Zula 

you can make a manual update, here are the old and new settings

Old settings:

APN: sp.mb.com
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220

New Settings:

APN: sp.mb.com
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220

Hi @Zula one plus 11 is a new enough phone.  try to click Reset All Networks to get the latest APn settings 

Zula

I have a OnePlus 11 5G that I purchased in November 2023. MMS messaging stopped working for me this past Saturday. Only recommended solution from OnePlus CS is to ditch my 2.5 month old phone and switch to one on their supported list (!?!). It's looking like my only option is to switch to a provider that's not Telus/PM...

mcdougal

Looking at Public Mobile's list of supported devices in the link provided by @J_PM, some devices listed are from 2017, but in other product lines, phones made as recently as 2019 and even 2021 are NOT listed as supported. It lists Google Pixel as supported back to Pixel 4, which came out August 3, 2020. Pixel 3a was May 7, 2019, not listed as supported. Worse, the Samsung Galaxy S series is listed back to 21FE (Jan 2022). The regular S21, not listed as supported, came out in January 2021.

That's a three year old phone. I would really love some technical explanation as to why we'd lose functionality like this. What's changing?

The link to a "partnered" phone vendor in the same page doesn't inspire confidence that this is a necessary change and not a way to sell people phones.

I truly don't mean to be snarky and I have loved being with Public Mobile and raved about how good the value is. It just really stinks to think I may have to switch to another network over this. This seems to be Telus-wide, but my searches haven't found any such changes on other networks.

HI @mcdougal 

OnePlus 5T was relesed in 2017, I wonder if that would work.  There was another announcement saying if device older than 2017, MMS might not work

mcdougal

Thank you for this notice. I got the email as well. Mine said I just needed to update settings, which I've done at length- updated, double checked entries, rebooted, tested, deleted all settings and made new from scratch, rebooted, tested, etc., and cannot get MMS to work with the new settings. Still working fine on the old settings, but I need to sort this out before Feb 14.

I use a Oneplus 5T. I use this because it works with my operating system, Ubuntu Touch, and would (with sadness) switch mobile service providers before switching to iOS or Android.

As a business owner, I don't see not having MMS as an option so long as people can send me a photo message that I'll never see, and that they'll never know I didn't see.

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would assume switching MMS to RCS would then cause data to be counted towards your monthly limit?  I know that data used by MMS shows up on the usage history but isn't actually counted towards your data limit.  However with using RCS, it would be a different story .  Unless there's a special way to configure the RCS app to use similar IP's and ports as in MMS?   For example in Android's Google messages app (supports MMS & RCS)?

Whiskeyruncrew

Apple have been vague as to when in 2024 and it doesn’t appear they are supporting the same version of RCS as an android 

Need Help? Let's chat.