cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Province-Wide Calling Plans + Limited-Time Offer on Canada-Wide Calling Plans

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited: Feb 16, 3:45PM EST]

Hey Community, 

Public Mobile is introducing some changes to our suite of rate plans. Effective February 16, 2021, we will offer two types of plans: plans that include Province-wide minutes, and plans that include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The Canada-wide calling plans will be priced at an additional $5/month, compared to the Province-wide calling plans.  All of our plans will continue to offer Canada-wide data and unlimited international texting.

We never take the decision of changing our plans lightly.  That's why, for a limited time, we’re offering our Canada-wide plans at a $5 discount. That means customers who value Canada-wide calling can still access these plans at the original prices before they change. 

The introduction of a Province-wide calling plan comes as a result of our commitment to give you more options on features and provide savings to help you create and customize the plan that’s right for you.  If you don't value Canada-wide calling, you can still access our plans starting at $15 per month.  If you value Canada-wide calling, it will continue to be available for an additional $5 per month. 

See below for more details on our new plans: 

New province-wide calling plans: 

Province-Wide Calling

Monthly Rate

Province-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$15

100 Minutes

250MB

$25

Unlimited

1GB*

$35

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$40

Unlimited

5GB*

$45

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$50

Unlimited

8.5GB

For more information on how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article.

Concurrent with this launch, we are offering $5 off all Canada-wide rate plans for a limited time. 

Canada-wide calling plans:

*Current promotion: $5 off Canada-wide plans for a limited time

Canada-wide Calling

Monthly Rate

(*Promotion price)

Canada-wide Minutes

Data (*with 500MB Autopay)

$30 $25*

Unlimited

1GB*

$40 $35*

Unlimited

2.5GB*

$45 $40*

Unlimited

5GB*

$50 $45*

Unlimited

6.5GB*

$55 $50*

Unlimited + U.S. Talk

8.5GB

How to change your plan: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select your preferred plan. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

FAQ’s:

What happens to existing customers’ plans?

There is no impact to existing customers' plans. All customers’ plans will be grandfathered, including those who had scheduled rate plan changes before this update. Note, if you change your plan you may not be able to go back to your previous plan if it is no longer available on our website. 

What is happening to the $15 plan?

All plans in the Canada-wide suite have unlimited Canada-wide minutes. The $15 limited talk plan will remain in the Province-wide suite and will have 100 Province-wide minutes with 250MB of AutoPay data bonus.

Can I buy an add-on with Canada-wide calling?

Yes, we currently have a $5 for 500 Canada-wide minutes add-on available which you can purchase in Self-Serve.

How does Province-wide Calling work?

For more information on province-wideon how province-wide calling works, check out this Help Article

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

640 REPLIES 640

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@tanvir108115 

The $5 discount will remain as long as you don't change your plans it will be grandfathered in but if you change your plan you will no longer be able to go back to it so you would have to pay the higher price.

tanvir108115
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So if I upgrade to a package now with canada wide calling,  will the 5 cad discount promo be always there, or is it going to be removed later?

The removal of PM's LTE-speed plans wasn't as great a "loss" as people claim.

Partly because it always cost more than 3G at PM. You always paid more to get less in comparison. And not just a little more vs a little less - the difference was basically twice as much 3G or half as much 4G for the same price.

And partly because the speed difference just isn't a practical advantage with the paltry handful of GB per month your plans and addons could purchase. You don't need to drive your car 300kph (and you shouldn't waste much time complaining that it has a max speed of 30kph) when the fuel tank is barely large enough to drive a handful of blocks between refills anyhow. Seems like no point of burning through a GB in single-digit minutes then having to wait 29 days (or pull out your wallet) to get another GB.

treefrog

@ShawnC13 

This has been a complete boondoggle for me. I carefully set up my plan to change my next renewal before I went away only to come back and check on my plan before reactivation and my scheduled plan change has disappeared. And on top of that I am one of those lucky few that could see the $15 plan on the plans page but not in my self serve account. I have submitted a ticket and the moderator said there's nothing they can do but has escalated the issue with @Catherine_T . I'm now waiting to hear back from her. If those who've already scheduled it can still get it why can I not? Sure it might take a little more work on their end but I did everything on my end to make sure that I would get this plan before it even changed. The province-wide calling doesn't work for me because I work away from home and I am out of province most of the year. I am very disappointed as to how or why this has happened. The only thing I do have going for me is I have screenshots of my scheduled plan change because I was very meticulous about it. I am keeping my fingers and my toes and my eyes crossed at this point in time

I've been looking at past plans PM has offered and just before the recent change, the Canada wide plans were the best pm has ever had... with the loss of full speed LTE. the value of plans were getting better and better. was there a price increase when pm moved to Canada wide plans the first time? if there wasn't I don't think there is really much to say..

these were the 2017 prices when they first added province wide 3g

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Extended-We-ve-Expanded-Our-Offerings-I...

the one thing the current pm is missing are the promo's where bonus data would stay on your account. not this 6 months 1gb bonus data.

@smp99 wrote:

3-4 years ago when PM had the ProvWide plans and $5 extra to get CdaWide and then another $5 to get US/Cda. They also had full speed data - I digress...

What PM did not have back then was the $5 500min CdaWide add-on. If they had that back then, I don't think anyone would have gone to the CdaWide plans. And I think the same holds true now. I think if they remove the $5 add-on, that could be a bigger blow to the customer base than moving plans to ProvWide.

Hi @smp99 are you implying what I think you're implying?  lol I like the way you think. 😍

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

3-4 years ago when PM had the ProvWide plans and $5 extra to get CdaWide and then another $5 to get US/Cda. They also had full speed data - I digress...

What PM did not have back then was the $5 500min CdaWide add-on. If they had that back then, I don't think anyone would have gone to the CdaWide plans. And I think the same holds true now. I think if they remove the $5 add-on, that could be a bigger blow to the customer base than moving plans to ProvWide.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Cut costs to pay for upgraded systems?  Will we see improvements on the PM side??

I highly doubt it.. but honest.. i do see lots improvement needed.  For example, self-server site is terribly slow to logon or to change page.  So, many complains about activation site (broken half way and no one no if the activation successful) .  The list goes on.

@hTideGnow   Yes there's many shortcomings and a long list of issues that could be improved, but I still think top of any list should be the payment system (auotpay) which should be foolproof and never fail....maybe PM will surprise us and get some of these things fixed soon, just like the surprise with new plans/prices!

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Cut costs to pay for upgraded systems?  Will we see improvements on the PM side??

I highly doubt it.. but honest.. i do see lots improvement needed.  For example, self-server site is terribly slow to logon or to change page.  So, many complains about activation site (broken half way and no one no if the activation successful) .  The list goes on.

@Camera4617 wrote:

@dabr Yeah, I did not go too much into details nor I'm really interested in, just it is the same trend. Changing Canada Wide to Provincial and asking for more money if need Canada Wide. I just wonder if now other companies will do the same thing and I would NOT be surprised that they do. I'm not too much impacted by this but it was 'easier' to not to worry about where you are and who you can call with included minutes. 

Well, let's not forget that not long ago calling another city in the same province was 'long distance'.. 🙂 

@Camera4617   Yeah, it doesn't impact me either right now (or perhaps ever) but yep I just thought the trend to have Canada wide calling made all plans so much easier and not worry once you were out of the province.  You're right calling another city in your province was "long distance" not too long ago and TBH I was really happy that seemed to be a thing of the "past".  Who knows the way things are going, we may have local calling back too!

There is always a leader and a follower. Did Telus pick the short straw?

Camera4617

@dabr Yeah, I did not go too much into details nor I'm really interested in, just it is the same trend. Changing Canada Wide to Provincial and asking for more money if need Canada Wide. I just wonder if now other companies will do the same thing and I would NOT be surprised that they do. I'm not too much impacted by this but it was 'easier' to not to worry about where you are and who you can call with included minutes. 

Well, let's not forget that not long ago calling another city in the same province was 'long distance'.. 🙂 

@Camera4617 wrote:

So, Koodo is doing the same thing. Dropping Canada - Wide to Provincial calls. Not sure if it is mentioned in this thread as it is 'loong'.. 🙂
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/02/18/koodo-plan-changes-province-wide-calling-separate-pricing-byod-ta...

@Camera4617   I notice in that article that it also refers to texting as being for Canada wide only for these new plans, but apparently they are introducing the option to purchase an add-on for unlimited Canada wide calling and international text for $5.  From what I remember Koodo's add-ons (boosters) are also non expiring but it's unclear if this particular add-on is only for 30 days or not.  Either way these changes are not better for the customer IMO.

Who knows....are they throwing business over to Koodo intentionally? Keep in mind Telus was under direction by CTRC to offer low cost mobile service and PM is it!! 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@leo_bl wrote:

Thanks for the update. Are there any service improvements?

No, this is only a price increase. New customers gets nothing in return for it.

But they can...if they take advantage of the sale price. The question is...will there be sales in the future? If yes, how does that impact rewards, freebies etc if you switch plans?

I mean afterr the price goes up. Prices should be better but Public Mobile wants them to be worse.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@leo_bl wrote:

But they can...if they take advantage of the sale price. The question is...will there be sales in the future? If yes, how does that impact rewards, freebies etc if you switch plans?

@leo_bl wrote:

A little off course but maybe relevant. When Telus upgraded their system, many many years ago, to allow one only login for both Home Products and Mobile Products the web page for Mobile would forward you to the old (I forgot what they called it) archaic version for their prepaid phone customers. But today checking on my mother in laws prepaid account it is all nice a pretty with no redirect. Cut costs to pay for upgraded systems?  Will we see improvements on the PM side??

leo_bl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Camera4617

So, Koodo is doing the same thing. Dropping Canada - Wide to Provincial calls. Not sure if it is mentioned in this thread as it is 'loong'.. 🙂
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/02/18/koodo-plan-changes-province-wide-calling-separate-pricing-byod-ta...

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

Now that most questions about how provincial calling works have been answered or at least clarified most customers choosing this option on the $15 wouldn't see much of a difference in the price that they pay or their usage. It only really affects those who travel a lot in Canada for work etc....and those with a lot of family and friends spread about Canada. Since most already add the $5/500 min add on its usage would just be more dedicated to actual long distance (out of province) rather than "paying" for local calls if you happen to run out of your plan minutes.

What it does affect as a few have mentioned like @AE_Collector  and @BearFBI is your flexibility to change plans. With my one number locked into the $10 50/50 plan I took solace in the fact I could change up my other number to higher data plan as needed. Not now.....I'm locked in again. I have plenty of free data and minutes to carry me forward but I know when I'm back to spending most of my summers at the lake like @AE_Collector  and his wife at their cabin bumping up to the $40/5gb was just a little more economical and relaxing to not watch the data counter 

There is a fairly simple fix to this conundrum that may even save one a bit more money. Not quite the bf's "burner" phone ( at least as long as @Anonymous  is convinced he's mobbed up...lol) but the "burner" plan instead. For those with a dual sim phone (a must buy these days I think) or a half decent back up phone to put the new sim card in to use as a mobile hotspot. With a little pre-planning and hopefully a free month promotion or extra data bonus a new "burner" plan will cost less if shared among two people especially.....add in the cheap or free sim and the ongoing up to half off first month promo offered by CCS you will get a very cost effective work around to inability to move between plans by the grandfathering of the $15 Canada wide calling plan.

For example : If @AE_Collector and his missus used to switch to the $40/5gb plan × 2 for 2 months it would cost=$80 (minus rewards) ×2=$160 - $8(autopay)=$172. Now to preserve their plans they keep them $15×2=$30 ×2 months=$60 Activate a "burner" plan with a free month credit and activating with CCS with a free sim and the highest data plan ($50/8.5gb) to achieve the highest first month discount of 50% off and referring themselves will work out to....

$50 - $25 (CCS discount)=$25 outlay = credits of $50+$10 referral credit=$60+$4 autopay=$64  Second month $64 - $50=$14 remaining credit add $1 to purchase $15/1gb data add on if needed. $60($15 plans×2×2)+$25 "burner" plan=$85 (+$1 for the add on but you gain $2 in referral rewards) and by subtracting just the autopay rewards ($60 - $8=$52) $52+$25=$77

@AE_Collector  paid $172 for service in 2019 in 2021 he need only pay $77 less than half price!! ($95 cheaper+$11.40 less tax.) In keeping with public mobiles catch phrase...."more for less."  And ultimately less for public mobile....this is what happens when you nickel and dime customers who know how to save their nickels and dimes!!

Yes us lucky “Existing (grandfathered) customers” are indeed lucky unless we are in the habit of switching up and down the lineup a couple times a year. Then we lose our “existing customer” status no matter how many years we’ve been here and choose between the new plan lineup only. 

Good point @darlicious, if wanting to put off making any decisions I indeed could start a “data Plan” for the summer and keep our 2 $15 phones as is. Even forgetting about perks to start a new plan, rather than bumping 2 phones from $15 to $40 each over the summer which is an additional $50 total per month to go from .25 to 5 Gb per phone per month, a gain of 9.5Gb per month. So the addition of a $50/8.5 Gb plan would be a consideration. Well thought out, even just to get another year down the road. In my case we aren't going to miss the Canada calling anyway, its just a small worry that something changes in the future. AND, in reality I am really starting to think that we are going to spend summer #2 at home again, no cabin time in WA state. Thus no need for more data in the summer months. Hard to say but it is looking even more likely every day.

As long as the $5/500 minute Canada Calling plan remains as is, doing the math whether one needs to pay $5 more for Canada Calling every month versus purchasing the add-on (which rolls over month to month) becomes pretty simple to calculate.

We cant look as this change as being the way it will be forever more. Was it the $40/5 Gb plan that after a short period to prepare for its removal it was discontinued a year and a half ago? Then 4 days later it was back again.

AE_Collector

DogSitter

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious , @BearFBI : Yes I had a heck of a time finding a phone last summer. A very helpful London Drugs clerk when asked about a Nokia phone having dual SIM, looked it up and said sure. I poked and prodded and she actually went to the extent of opening it up and pulling out the SIM tray and ta da...blocked second SIM slot. wth?

Then there are all the variants. I wanted NFC. Some do some don't. I finally had success with an A31 that seems to be for the UAE market. The only negative I have for it is the inability to flip in and out of cell data on its own for MMS. My prior S7 did that. Might be dual SIM related but not sure.

@DogSitter wrote:

Thanks for letting us know about the changes! However, I would like to be assured that my  "Unlimited Canada-wide Talk" that I currently have on my plan is indeed the long distance Canada wide calling plan that you are mentioning in your message. Am I understanding correctly? Thanks!

No changes have been made to the plans that customers already had.

DogSitter

Thanks for letting us know about the changes! However, I would like to be assured that my  "Unlimited Canada-wide Talk" that I currently have on my plan is indeed the long distance Canada wide calling plan that you are mentioning in your message. Am I understanding correctly? Thanks!

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Were you thinking along the lines of the $5/500min add on?

Hmmmmm x 2 ? It won’t be a huge cost as will only be found here by those that are astute. 

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

(If you were thinking along the lines of the $5 add-on then you should probably buy it before they raise the price to $10.)

@LurganIeUk 

@Nezgar wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

Oh, but they ARE giving away stuff... they're giving everyone the prices of the plans at last week's prices for a "limited time only".

I suspect "limited time only" means minimum 30 days... based on the text in the terms of service: "Changes become effective thirty days after being posted at publicmobile.ca/ plans."

We can only hope, @Nezgar , however this 'limited time off' is more of a promo-type offering than a change in rates.

I suspect they can (legally) remove the special rates whenever they wish.  I believe the 30-day rule only applies when your existing rate is changing - in which they must provide 30-days notice of such.

Need Help? Let's chat.