cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing all new Referral Codes!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Here at Public Mobile, we love referrals, and we know that many of you do too! We understand that a lot of you like to refer as many friends as they can, but sometimes, sharing your personal phone number isn’t the best way to share your joy.

That’s why starting July 24th, we’re going to be introducing unique referral codes for our customers that they can share with their friends. We think this is really cool because:

1.It’s safer and has better privacy

By using uniquely generated codes, we minimize exposure of personal information from our customers being used inappropriately by others. Safety comes first!

2.It’s easier to refer your friends at the push of a button

As if it’s not easy to refer your friends already, you can now copy & paste a direct link from your Self-Serve Overview page, which, when clicked on, will autofill your friend’s activation page with your referral code already. Sweet right?

1.png

How to locate your unique shareable URL:

1. Go to Self-Serve and Log in.
  2. In the Overview page, look for this box in the right hand side.
  3. Hover over the ‘link’ hyperlink and copy the link address.
  4. Share with a friend! 
  5. Now, start saving! 🙂

If you don’t share a URL or it’s not on hand, it’s still easy to refer a friend. Simply find your code on the right hand side of the Overview page in Self-Serve  and let your friend know. When activating, they’ll just need to manually type in your code. The rest is the same as today. 🙂

2.png

Let us know your thoughts, 

Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Question

Answer

Does this impact any of my existing referrals that entered my phone number?

If you already have referrals that came from sharing phone numbers, you will continue to keep your referral credits. No referrals will be removed from accounts as a direct result of the new referral codes.

After July 24th, can my friend still use my phone number during activation to get a referral?

After July 24th, phone numbers will no longer be used for referrals. A referral code must be used to register a referral moving forward.

I have a referral reward that I’m missing. When I reach out to a Moderator about this after July 24th, am I using my friend’s phone number or code?

If you are missing a reward and reporting it, starting July 24, you will need to share your friend’s referral code with the Moderator assisting your case. 

I referred someone and didn’t get my credit. What should I do?

Please reach out to the person you referred and have them contact a Moderator with your referral code, and they will be happy to assist.

What is the policy around sharing my referral code in the Community?

Unsolicited sharing of referral codes will be considered spam.

112 REPLIES 112

txw427
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

great work

@PublicLoveIn case you don't know Public Mobile is part of big 3 telecoms... it is just the lowest tier of Telus service

PublicLove
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I love this! Referred my first friend, today--it was super quick & easy. I think it's great that PM offers rewards and they're easy to do and make sense, too. Thank you for providing an alternative to the big 3 telecom companies in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@canadagal2 wrote:

Hello, I just referred my friend for Public Mobile.  It was done at a Walmart store in Abbotsford.  I didn't realize about the code use a d neither did the employee.  He tried my cell number but it didn't work.  Is there a possibility that it can be added now?

Apparently asking after the fact, the existing customer can get the $1 but the new customer won't get the $10.

canadagal2

Hello, I just referred my friend for Public Mobile.  It was done at a Walmart store in Abbotsford.  I didn't realize about the code use a d neither did the employee.  He tried my cell number but it didn't work.  Is there a possibility that it can be added now?

LeafLife

New to Public today! Thank you for the info 👌

LifeWorthLiving

This is great information. I am new as of today! Thank you!!

chelsealzl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sweet. The link will be a nice feature. Also more privacy is always important. Glad to see this change.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lon_h wrote:

Will the referred new account phone number visible to referrer? thx.

No. X's until last 4 digits.

lon_h

Will the referred new account phone number visible to referrer? thx.

danlee
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Exactly i refer someone who is looking for cheap phone deal.. don't have to be friends to refer someone. 

rickytour

I refered it with new referral codes and got the reward without issue.

Easy and thanks PM

Bell3

Great news!

And you gonna tell me those Koodo refers are legit?

We both know why they cap at $300 per year

Plus the fact there are far more pressing concerns to work on than the refer system here

@will13am wrote:

Haters gonna hate.  Koodo uses referral link, always has.  Why is a referral less legit now? 

@kav2001c wrote:

My reaction to this announcement is meh Cat Indifferent

I fail to see how you can have a LEGIT referal who does not know your phone number

Seems this will only benefit people to spam codes to random strangers really

I see this as Public Mobile expanding their referrals from Friends and Family and opening it up to grow their business without selling out current members privacy to do so.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@kav2001c wrote:

I fail to see how you can have a LEGIT referal who does not know your phone number

Haters gonna hate.  Koodo uses referral link, always has.  Why is a referral less legit now? 

blessme4k

Oh that's amazing. As long as it adds up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@blessme4k wrote:

Is there a limit on codes? Like what happens if your bill is like $15 a month but you can get like 20 members in your family to sign up. Would I have a $5 extra bonus added to my account every month?

It accumulates. You just can't convert it to real cash money. Some people have high Available Funds in their account. With that they can get free service for years.

blessme4k

Is there a limit on codes? Like what happens if your bill is like $15 a month but you can get like 20 members in your family to sign up. Would I have a $5 extra bonus added to my account every month?

danlee
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yayyy i love that I don't have to share my cell number to referral.  Good Job PM!!!

smp99

In general, this is a great move and the implemetation is fine.  

smp99

If you did not get the code via SMS you can log on to your account to see it. I tried texting 'Offer' back to 5131 but nothing so far.

But if you have promo texts blocked and do not visit various forums, you likely will not be aware of this - unless you happen to log into your account and happen to notice it.

@Anonymous I got txt on new account. Nothing yet on old account.  Sent from 5131 which I did previously block on old account, but not yet on new account.

tetrahedron

It’s likely that you have an ad blocker or VPN service that is interfering with the website. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GinYVR wrote:

@Anonymous I think the code is part of the marketing stuff because it ends with

"Reply "unsubscribe" to be excluded from Public Mobile offers."

I've never done that via text on either account. If the question was there on the newer account activation then I would have turned it off. But I got the text.

@Anonymous I think the code is part of the marketing stuff because it ends with

"Reply "unsubscribe" to be excluded from Public Mobile offers."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker 

So your newer account got the pre-announcement of this upcoming thing and your older account did not. Same with me.

Now my newer account again got this new announcement with the code but my older account did not.

I don't block stuff from my providers (other than declining to want to accept marketing stuff)

How about you? Did you get the code in a text?

Many will be happy that phone number no longer needs to be given. It should mean more referrals, more customers.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Finally its here.  It is better to refer this way.   

Also for migration, need to have a code too, not using phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.