Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Typically, you can move your number if:

• It's an active mobile or landline number
  • We have service in that area
  • It's from a service provider in the same local calling area
  • Number Portability is available in that area 

Tips for moving to Public Mobile

• Keep it live. Don't cancel your current service before switching to us. Your phone number must be active in order to move it
  • Have it at hand. Have your phone, an invoice from your current service provider and if possible, your service agreement handy when you move your number. Just to be safe, you should review your existing service agreement to find out what charges might apply
  • Don't delegate. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number

Click here for porting instructions.

46 REPLIES 46

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@nsbil wrote:

I want to join PM and port my number over from Virgin Mobile.  But the Virgin account is in my wife's name, and it is only me that is moving, not her.   Can I do the port when the names on the two accounts are different?     On Virgin I am authorized to talk to them but I am not the actual account holder.    

@nsbil yes you can.  On the number port request form, enter your wife's name as the authorizing person instead of yours.  This works fine.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

nsbil
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I want to join PM and port my number over from Virgin Mobile.  But the Virgin account is in my wife's name, and it is only me that is moving, not her.   Can I do the port when the names on the two accounts are different?     On Virgin I am authorized to talk to them but I am not the actual account holder.    

Rabbi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

hi @Luddite @imm1304 @ShawnC13 can you or one of the oracle move this posts

@papyrus wrote:

Hello,

Trying to port from Videotron and activate a new sim. 

I receive the following error message:

"We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:

-  Make sure you entered your number correctly.
-  Select a new number.
-  Contact the Public Mobile Community for further assistance."

I entered the number correctly, I do not wish to select a new number...so I am contacting the public mobile community for further assistance 🙂

Thanks!

into new threads to give better visibility when someone replies to a long dormant thread asking for help

Rabbi

@papyrus next time in order to have the coomunty to anwer your prablom, the best is to alwas to open a new topic

Rabbi

@papyrus contect @CS_Agent for help

papyrus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Trying to port from Videotron and activate a new sim. 

I receive the following error message:

"We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:

-  Make sure you entered your number correctly.
-  Select a new number.
-  Contact the Public Mobile Community for further assistance."

I entered the number correctly, I do not wish to select a new number...so I am contacting the public mobile community for further assistance 🙂

Thanks!

chakri264

Thats nice. Welcome to the family of Public Mobile. 

dannyg777

Thanks, no worries, it worked. On the self serve page, change number option, it was not going past the page where i entered my koodo number. I kept trying, then finally it went through, entered all the koodo info, the port was quick and i can confirm that its working. Thanks. Koodo was also quick on sending me a confirmation email that my account was terminated and that they are sorry to see me go. Oh well.

chakri264

Hi,

For koodo there is a special consideration. You have to take a random number first and then contact public mobile representative to port in your Koodo or telus phone number. This is because Telus, Koodo and Public mobile belong to same family. Hope this helps. 

dannyg777

Hello, i just signed up with Public. I selected a new number. I am trying to port a number from koodo. And it doesn't go beyond the screen where i entered my koodo number and check the box for authorization. Please help. Thanks. 

@imm1304 wrote:

I have successfully ported a number that was in my brtoher's name to an account that is in my name, the same way you want to do. It was not a problem in my case. 

However, some people do experience difficulty with this.

Usually only land lines or corporate/business accounts does it matter name & address validation

Most cell phones are a non issue if different

auldblade

@Mary_M Thank you Mary.

Could you help me to cancel that port? I have been disappeared for weeks from my friends as then could not reach me out.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @auldblade

Sorry for the confusion.

This is actually required for any service provider, an account must be active in order to port out. If the number is not active, it's like porting a non-existent one, it will definitely not go through.

Let me know if you need us to cancel your port and assign a new number to your account.

Thank you,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

chakri264
The PM account will have to be on your name initially. Once the number is ported to PM, you can easily change the name and details in your self serve account.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @alicat!

I have successfully ported a number that was in my brtoher's name to an account that is in my name, the same way you want to do. It was not a problem in my case. 

However, some people do experience difficulty with this.

If you want to play safe, we do have the luxury to change the account holder's name with a few clicks here:  https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/my-profile/edit-profile/

alicat

Can he set up the PM account in his name if he uses my name as the Authorization Name on the 

'Wireless Number Transfer' or does the PM account need to be set up in my name at first too?

chakri264
You can port your Rogers number to PM on your name and can change the PM account to your son name without any problem. I had been through the same procedure for my wife.

alicat

My son, who is about to head off to university, wants to open a PM account.  At present he has a phone with Rogers.  The account is in my name and covers our home phone as well as his cell plan, but his first initial and surname are connected to the cell number and show up on call display.  

It's time for him to have his own wireless account.  How can he take his number with him if it's connected to an account in my name?  Can we set his PM account up in my name and then change it after the number ports? Or will it port properly using his first initial even though my name is the official one on the whole Rogers account?

Thanks for your help clarifying!

auldblade

@Mary_M@Jeremy_MActually there is no notice of the number to be ported should be in active on the web page. It caused the problems borthering me for a couple of weeks. I can make calls.But the number is not in service when my friends call me back.

Regarding this issue, I have sent 3 email though public mobile website(Contact us). However, I have got nothing replied yet. I am a little dispointed at PM now.

Tamachan

@Mary_M resolved this for me promptly.  Thanks a lot! ^^

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @Tamachan

I can help you port your number over !

All you have to do is send me a private message including your PM phone number, and the Koodo phone number + account number.

I'll send you a confirmation once it's complete 🙂

Thank you!

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Tamachan

Hi,

I'm from Koodo and I've been trying to use the Change Number feature to port my number but I can't get past the eligibility check which keeps saying there's an unknown error.

How can I get my number ported over?

Thanks

@nloke wrote:

@chilli0613  Do you have a 30 day termination notice like what Rogers usually enforces? If that is true, maybe there is a month fee of outstanding balance that you need to pay and hence blocking the port.

@nloke the Wireless Code banned the practise of giving 30 days notice

If you request to cancel (or port in this case) the other provider (Rogers) MUST do it IMMEDIATELY

chakri264

Your previous account can be carrying a balance when you port out. You still can port you number out but you need to pay the amount to the previous provider as early as possible otherwise they can sent it out for collection.  

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @chilli0613,

Sorry to hear about the issue of porting your number over. Our agents and community staff have tried everything under the sun to port your number through, but with no success.

As our agents, Community Mod's and I have contacted you stating the port cannot go through as it's been rejected by Chat-r.

There are many reasons for a port to be declined, please make sure you've read the initial post on how to port your number to Public Mobile.

Also, it's critical that your account with Chat-r and your Public Mobile account are under the same name.

Thanks,

Jeremy

chilli0613

I don't want to guess which cause the issue also and all I want is get things done. I spend 2 day making calls to CHATR and chatting with PM but can't solve. As a point of view of customer, I should sit back and relax and enjoy the service, I already did more than the customer suppose to do.

CHATR only offer pre-paid service (like PM) so outstanding balance is not possible.

PM cannot provide the service I want, so the only option for me is leaving PM

nloke

@chilli0613 It is hard to tell which side is causing the issue. I could be bias but i will still put the blame on the release party(chart). Afterall chatr is owned by Rogers and they always make it hard when porting out. Do you have a 30 day termination notice like what Rogers usually enforces? If that is true, maybe there is a month fee of outstanding balance that you need to pay and hence blocking the port.

chilli0613

Thanks for your info but I was chatting with PM and Chatr whole day yesterday and confirmed 101% all my info is correct.

One side (CHATR) said my account has no problem, active and ready to transfer out

The otherside (PM) was saying transfer was rejected

I even spoke with CHATR more than 4 times, 30 mins each time 

no luck and no time to spend on this issue, requested refund from PM

nloke

My porting works fine and the whole process is completed within 45 mins.

Like @srlawren said make sure information is correct. In this case I provided the same Alternate Telephone with my old provider(WIND) as requested in the transfer form and it works seamlessly.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@chilli0613

Help is on its way 🙂

Thank you for your patience!

Need Help? Let's chat.