cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess What?! (Hint: We had to update our Terms of Service to do this)

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

We’ve got another BIG and EXCITING announcement to make!

US Roaming Announcement_ENG_Final.gif

We will be launching US roaming in November this year! Many members have been patiently waiting for this to arrive and we are ecstatic to be making this announcement. Members like @robbytwotwo, @carloscmd, @ckndr47, @nishufan, @McLaren, @makkahn28, @imm1304, @Cookin, @srlawren and many more have been submitting or promoting ideas about US roaming on our Public Lab, saying things like:

The plans offered here are great. I am waiting for some sort of roaming to be offered though...

And

First of all kudos to PM for such an amazing service...Now that we are growing, would love to see a ...”    

We would like to extend a huge thank you to those that submitted the idea and to those who supported the idea by giving it a bravo. We have listened to your feedback and recommendations, and are excited to be bringing this idea to life.  

Think about the convenience…the freedom… No longer will you need to purchase a different SIM card when you travel to the States. No longer will you need to travel to the States without any service at all. No longer will you have an excuse to not respond to your parents/ girlfriend/ boyfriend etc. (Whoops- that was a good thing.)

Anyway, we veered off topic just a tad. Soon you will be able to connect to AT&T and T-Mobile networks when you travel to the states. AT&T and T-Mobile’s coverage includes all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. So, whether you are travelling to the snow-capped mountains in Alaska or to Florida's sunny beaches, we will have you covered.

In order to roam, you will have the flexibility to choose 10 day Add-ons that include talk only, text only, data only or a bundle of all three services. We are still finalizing the Add- on price points and the exact launch date, so stay tuned for more information. We have also updated our Terms of Service to incorporate US roaming, so please be sure to read it here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

180 REPLIES 180

Alpaca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Jonavin wrote:

@luckypal who was your previous carrier? If it's Fido or Rogers, you're likely to get better reception. If it's Koodo/Telus, Bell/Virgin, then the reception will be nearly identical. 

Yes, I was with Rogers before and noticed that phone reception is better. I get more bars. 

niloc22

Haven't been able to find an answer already posted on this, however if Roaming in the US, does this include reception on the US cruise ships in the Carribean? When I was with Bell I think they had reception on the cruise ships.

Thanks,

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@niloc22 I am surprised that Bell allowed it because it's usually a premium for cruise ships. I keep the original Kindle 3G around for this purpose. Free (slow) data and it was enough to send emails, not much else.

niloc22

Oh it wasn't cheap with Bell, but voice wasn't too bad for emergencies, about $2 a minute I think.  Data was another thing, that was expensive, and Texts could still be received for free I think, and about $0.75 per test sending.

Wish I'd seen this a week or so ago, as i just signed up for Roammobility for this coming February.

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @niloc22,

Great question! While at sea the ship relies on satellite based communications, which, unfortunately are not part of Public Mobile's U.S. Roaming offerings. 

niloc22

OK no problem, thanks for the update, just curious.

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is there any mod out there who's going to help me with my problem?

Eug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

BTW, I wish there was a decent pre-paid plan available when I stuck my mother-in-law on Fido post-paid, but there wasn't. She used to travel a lot, especially overseas, and we specifically told her not to use her phone like she would in Canada because it would be really, really expensive. Nonetheless, she got there, and proceeded to use her phone a lot, just a little bit less than she would in Canada. And calls for stupid stuff, like some mother-in-laws do. Well, in just a couple of weeks she racked up a $600 bill. She was shocked, despite our warnings, but when she asked what she could do about it, I just told her to pay it, because she was warned and the billings were legit. It was a hard lesson to learn, but she learned it. However, if she had been on a plan that didn't allow such billings in the first place, she would have not had that bill.

Nonetheless, the lines between pre-paid and post-paid are getting blurred these days on these flanker brands, and that's good.

Just a few years ago, I would have never considered a pre-paid plan. Back then, it seemed to me that pre-paid was for those who didn't want a credit check and had problems paying for "real" service (with decent amounts of voice/text/data buckets and roaming options), or else had very, very, very limited usage, etc. Nowadays some of the pre-paid plans are very similar to post-paid plans, but just that the timing of payment is different.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I felt the exact same way. I barely consider this prepaid 🙂

hb2811
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

My friend told me about PM and I'm excited to join. Any news on the November roaming date and prices though?

I'm going to the states in a couple of weeks and my current provider...whilst mainly useless, offers free 1gb while I'm there but if I can swap to PM by the 13th (before my next bill) that would be the BEST.