cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess What?! (Hint: We had to update our Terms of Service to do this)

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

We’ve got another BIG and EXCITING announcement to make!

US Roaming Announcement_ENG_Final.gif

We will be launching US roaming in November this year! Many members have been patiently waiting for this to arrive and we are ecstatic to be making this announcement. Members like @robbytwotwo, @carloscmd, @ckndr47, @nishufan, @McLaren, @makkahn28, @imm1304, @Cookin, @srlawren and many more have been submitting or promoting ideas about US roaming on our Public Lab, saying things like:

The plans offered here are great. I am waiting for some sort of roaming to be offered though...

And

First of all kudos to PM for such an amazing service...Now that we are growing, would love to see a ...”    

We would like to extend a huge thank you to those that submitted the idea and to those who supported the idea by giving it a bravo. We have listened to your feedback and recommendations, and are excited to be bringing this idea to life.  

Think about the convenience…the freedom… No longer will you need to purchase a different SIM card when you travel to the States. No longer will you need to travel to the States without any service at all. No longer will you have an excuse to not respond to your parents/ girlfriend/ boyfriend etc. (Whoops- that was a good thing.)

Anyway, we veered off topic just a tad. Soon you will be able to connect to AT&T and T-Mobile networks when you travel to the states. AT&T and T-Mobile’s coverage includes all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. So, whether you are travelling to the snow-capped mountains in Alaska or to Florida's sunny beaches, we will have you covered.

In order to roam, you will have the flexibility to choose 10 day Add-ons that include talk only, text only, data only or a bundle of all three services. We are still finalizing the Add- on price points and the exact launch date, so stay tuned for more information. We have also updated our Terms of Service to incorporate US roaming, so please be sure to read it here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

180 REPLIES 180

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

ok - this is November.

Can you state what day, or even what week the details should be expected. @Brooke_C

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@ottawa good suggestion of using an offline nav app.  I believe Google Maps lets you download specific areas for offline usage also.

I've seen it offer that and I'm tempted, but I relate to "download the province/state" better. At one point I thought I'd use HERE instead of Google even when I had data (so I'd get used to the interface) but then they took out spoken street names and that killed it for me as an online alternative.

My primary phone doesn't have SD card capability, so I have ON and QC loaded in HERE (not that I'm ever in a position where I can't use my PM data, but just in case), but I couldn't possibly load a large number of states or provinces for a longer road trip. But for that I can use one of several older phones that don't have a SIM at all but can be loaded up with maps (and pretty much no other apps) while on WiFi. Most of us are leaving trails of abandoned (but working) smartphones behind us, and this is one potential use, though an infrequent one I admit.

=aw

clavije
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

yes , it could happen , it all depends on how your phone is setup

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ottawa good suggestion of using an offline nav app.  I believe Google Maps lets you download specific areas for offline usage also.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ottawa

@daredogg wrote:

My last trip to Florida, I bought an AT&T "burner phone" when I landed, just in case of emergencies. It didn't even have data so it was useless for directions (bring on the paper maps!). 

Sorry for the tangent, but if you're on Android, try HERE Maps (or HERE ToGo or whatever it's called now). It has offline navigation using commercial maps (not OpenStreetMap). Major downside is that they took spoken street names out of it, so it just says "turn left in 200 metres" but it's still better than nothing. And cheaper than a dedicated GPS unit. Though paper maps are always a wise backup for any technology. 🙂

This US roaming could be great if the price is low enough, though I've got so many US phones and SIMs I'm not sure I'd ever use it. Prefunded SIMs on eBay are a great deal if you don't care what your number is. 🙂

=aw

Can't wait, Roam will come HOME, to Roost

When it does, the real fun begins.

Wonder, what animation will inaugurate such an historic event?

Aww, @Jeremy_M, or @David_J, or @Shazia_K  inserting the a/c power into socket, and a ribbon cutting ceremony that would mark this tool operational

Can't wait for the Pla(s) structures and fees, and of course the tweaks that PM may do to optimize this to perfection

Jonavin

The easiest way to price it would be just to say that your LD addon minutes can now be used in the US. For data, it comes out of your addon data bucket. $30/GB for roaming wouldn't be too bad.

I have a feeling it's going to be more than this. Come on PM, surprise me.

@jairolevi remember Black Friday is very soon so lots of us are literally dieing to stress test this feature Cat Wink

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Man, and my mom thought I was impatient! lol

@Eug wrote:

It's now November (at least with Eastern Daylight Time). Let's get some more info out on those US roaming options, please! Smiley Wink

Personally I'd like to see a ≤ $5 / day option that allows us to use our existing Canadian Public Mobile plans in the US.

Eug

It's now November (at least with Eastern Daylight Time). Let's get some more info out on those US roaming options, please! Smiley Wink

Personally I'd like to see a ≤ $5 / day option that allows us to use our existing Canadian Public Mobile plans in the US.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Well, I would be happy if they had option similar to the Koodo travel packs

srlawren

@piggykiller it hasn't launched yet. Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait until it does.  PM have not said when yet, except that it's expected sometime in November. 

Have you looked at alternatives such as Roam Mobility in the meantime if you have an urgent need?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

piggykiller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

urgent!!!!  need the us service asap.  

yuanqi118
awesome!by the way, is it possible to roam globally in the future?

Rockdaddy22
Welcome to the PM family 🙂

lowridin_guy

Can't wait to hear the details of this service!

Just signed up yesterday and very excited to be a member of this company!

brainfreze

Public Mobile has rapidly become my favourite carrier in a long time! It is amazing to see this business offering so much for their clients even when their offers are already incredible as it is. I can't wait to see what this roaming package will look like.

Keep doing what you do, Public Mobile!

srlawren

@mm623 I'm thinking Nov 2 is unlikely, and you may want to consider some alternatives.  Here are my suggestions.

mm623

Any updates on dates? going to the US on Nov 2, would love to have it by then.

oshax
Wow, very excited to see what I hope will be very competitive roaming offers! Been with Public Mobile for 7+ months now and loving it!

jigginsmcgee

Very excited for this! I frequent the US often and it's a pain juggling two sims and two phone numbers. Pretty sure Roam Mobility quietly increased their rates so this makes me extra happy.

Looking forward to seeing what the rates are!

danette77

@Brooke_C Awesome news! It's nice to be able to go globe trotting with my Public Mobile account instead of having to buy a separate prepaid international sim.

Subbanator96

Super happy to hear this!! :):) Awesome public mobile, really worth being a customer!

chakri264

This is great. Now I have another resaon to attract/influence my friends to join public mobile. So far I have got 5 preople in already., 

trshtup

That's killer!  Before joining PM, the lack of US roaming was the only reason I was considering other carriers as well...Super glad I'm with PM now!!

Breah

Great and exciting news!

stantheman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hope this is soon!

pm1

that's really cool.  it's a lot more convenient~

Jonavin

I keep a T-Mobile SIM card active because of the lack of US roaming on PM. With this new option I won't have to keep it anymore... well, depends on pricing. I'm paying $3/day (only on days you use it) for unlimited text/talk (US only) and data but have to top up every 90 days to keep the sim card alive.

srlawren

@Brooke_C I figured.  You can understand why we are anxious for the news!  

Spoiler
We're all excited about the roaming possibilities!

Holding my breath whilst I wait.  😉

Cheers!

Need Help? Let's chat.