cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15

I have just switched from the well researched CHEAPEST plan in Canada (speakout 7-11). I was paying $10/month. I had 100 MB of data and 25¢/min pay as you go call & outgoing text. I was on it for over 10 years. It suited my needs.  This random deal that showed up on Google made me make the switch. Thanks Public Mobile!

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15


@DmcDohko wrote:

Already read through that thread but I was looking for more conclusive answers for iphones - I don't want to set it up and then find out it doesn't work.


If you're referring to extending the number of rings or changing the VM number, described in this post, I just tested on my iPhones and it works.  You don't need to enter the "+" (but you can, by holding down 0 until + shows up).  So, in Alberta, I dialed **61*15875804001*11*20# to configure VM after 20 seconds (default) -- Find your local VM access number here.  Also note that this isn't a "call" when you hit Send... it's a registration on the network, so it won't consume minutes.

 

If you want to disable calls getting to VM altogether, you can enter a bogus number and extend the rings (e.g. dial **61*11111111111*11*30#).  In this example, a caller would get 30 seconds of ringing, and then hear a "Call cannot be completed..." type message before being dropped (and not consuming any of your plan's minutes).

 

You can even store the dial strings above (e.g. **61*15875804001*11*20#) as a contact (e.g. "VM - Restore Settings"), if you find yourself switching this feature from time to time.

 

Another way to address your concern about consuming minutes to retrieve VM is to install Hangouts or Voico on your iPhone (Voico is easier), and once you've confirmed your number (via SMS), dialing out will show the Caller ID as your number (but not consume plan minutes), so you can call the voicemail number (###-580-4001) using Voico or Hangouts and it'll treat you as if you called from the cell phone itself.  On iPhones, getting Hangouts to work with your number is possible, but necessitates you configuring/verifying on an Android device (or as I did, I installed an emulator on my PC and verified/enabled that way, and then it started working on my iPhone).

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15


@pweidman wrote:

I have just switched from the well researched CHEAPEST plan in Canada (speakout 7-11). I was paying $10/month. I had 100 MB of data and 25¢/min pay as you go call & outgoing text. I was on it for over 10 years. It suited my needs.  This random deal that showed up on Google made me make the switch. Thanks Public Mobile!


WOW !!!!! That seems like a very expensive plan - unless you never used it and just kept paying $10/month JUST  in case of an emergency. Just a simple text conversation --for eg. 1. where are you 2.at the store. 3. buy some milk 4. ok    would cost you $1.00

If you oly intend to use your phone for emergencies then Bell has a $5/month plan.  Hope this helps.

Bell Prepaid $5/month Minutes Anytime local 10 minutes Text messages3

 
 
 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15

 @Beer 

I've seen you mention that a couple times now. So I went to have a look.

You didn't say it was but...it's not prepaid like here. They'll charge overages for more than 10 minutes. They charge pay as you go for all texts. So then it's really more like a post-paid plan.

 

The lower cost LD add-on here is about $0.04 per minute...not $0.50. And that's just local not North America.

 

So sure...$5 for a few minutes of calling and basically nothing else. Or wait for your extra charges after the fact.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15


@z10user4 wrote:

 @Beer 

I've seen you mention that a couple times now. So I went to have a look.

You didn't say it was but...it's not prepaid like here. They'll charge overages for more than 10 minutes. They charge pay as you go for all texts. So then it's really more like a post-paid plan.

 

The lower cost LD add-on here is about $0.04 per minute...not $0.50. And that's just local not North America.

 

So sure...$5 for a few minutes of calling and basically nothing else. Or wait for your extra charges after the fact.


Was just a suggestion and though it may help - and by the way it's definately prepaid - And YES PM 's $10 and $15 are better and that's obvious as to why I switched like you to PM.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15


@Beer wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

 @Beer 

I've seen you mention that a couple times now. So I went to have a look.

You didn't say it was but...it's not prepaid like here. They'll charge overages for more than 10 minutes. They charge pay as you go for all texts. So then it's really more like a post-paid plan.

 

The lower cost LD add-on here is about $0.04 per minute...not $0.50. And that's just local not North America.

 

So sure...$5 for a few minutes of calling and basically nothing else. Or wait for your extra charges after the fact.


Was just a suggestion and though it may help - and by the way it's definately prepaid - And YES PM 's $10 and $15 are better and that's obvious as to why I switched like you to PM.


Certainly. Always good to be helpful with ideas. I had a bunch of other questions and then realized it was all way off topic. Smiley Happy Yup...lovin' Public Mobile.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15


@Beer wrote:

@pweidman wrote:

I have just switched from the well researched CHEAPEST plan in Canada (speakout 7-11). I was paying $10/month. I had 100 MB of data and 25¢/min pay as you go call & outgoing text. I was on it for over 10 years. It suited my needs.  This random deal that showed up on Google made me make the switch. Thanks Public Mobile!


WOW !!!!! That seems like a very expensive plan - unless you never used it and just kept paying $10/month JUST  in case of an emergency. Just a simple text conversation --for eg. 1. where are you 2.at the store. 3. buy some milk 4. ok    would cost you $1.00

If you oly intend to use your phone for emergencies then Bell has a $5/month plan.  Hope this helps.

Bell Prepaid $5/month Minutes Anytime local 10 minutes Text messages3

 
 
 

Define emergency use....

For my grasp of emergency use on a real cell line, Speak out still can't be beat, IMO.

$25 minimum top up lasts 365 days. They do charge $1.25/month service charge, gives you $10 for calls ($10=28minutes) and texts ($10=66 outgoing texts, incoming is free, MMS will need the data bucket as mentioned) as  pay as you go prepaid. If you need slightly more, just top up again.

 

Anything more than keeping your phone in the glove box, any Public Mobile plan is beating SpeakOut's offerings these days. (Yeah, I can finally compare Granny Smith apples to Ambrosia apples!)

Public Mobile: $13 for 100 Canada wide minutes, unlimited international texts and 250Mb. (With auto pay) additional minutes: $0.04 

SpeakOut: $20 for 100 Canada wide minutes and unlimited Canada wide texts. Additional minutes: $0.35

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15

Hi new member but not a Public customer yet.

My wife is with Telus at the moment. She is on the $10 talk and Text plan. No data.

I know Public is part of Telus do you think they will match this plan?

Am I better off switch to this $15? Also would like to know if it is against forum rule to ask for referal?

 

Thanks

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15


@Howiepm wrote:

Hi new member but not a Public customer yet.

My wife is with Telus at the moment. She is on the $10 talk and Text plan. No data.

I know Public is part of Telus do you think they will match this plan?

Am I better off switch to this $15? Also would like to know if it is against forum rule to ask for referal?

 

Thanks


If you are talking about the $10 500 mins grandfather plan at Telus, I am on that. PM does not do price matching AFAIK. Even if you are on the regular $10 talk & text 50/50 the PM plan is better pricewise because 1. PM charges $2 less 2. all incoming text are free, so it is like getting double the text messages.

 

The sacrifice is support... only available online, which does have its downside if you need help in a pinch.... PM support is not top notch... waiting days for support is not uncommon. But when all works, you save a bundle, especially if you get referrals, get community rewards, loyalty rewards the longer you are here, etc... it all adds up.

 

And you can request referrals.

 

Forgot to add- $15 is good if you need lots of texting... remember for minutes you can manage your extra minutes by buying an 200 or 400 minute add-on which costs 4¢/min or less and the add-on never expire.

 

HTH.

Re: Get Unlimited Text and 100 mins of Talk for $15


@Howiepm wrote:

Hi new member but not a Public customer yet.

My wife is with Telus at the moment. She is on the $10 talk and Text plan. No data.

I know Public is part of Telus do you think they will match this plan?

Am I better off switch to this $15? Also would like to know if it is against forum rule to ask for referal?

 

Thanks


The Public Mobile plan includes much more for only $5 additional.

 

If she is on Telus Starter 10, that includes:

50 minutes and 50 "incoming/outgoing" sms/mms messages

Telus prepaid Texting 15 has:

no minutes (pay-per-use)

unlimited messsaging

 

 

Public Moible $10 plan includes;

50 minutes

50 ougoing text/unlimited incoming texts

 

Public Mobile $15 plan includes:

100 minutes

unlimited messaging (sms/mms)

 

 

Even if we don't factor in autopay discount and bonuses, Public Mobile's plans are better at both price points.

 

At the $10 price at Public Mobile, you'd be gaining unlimited incoming text messages, and at the $15 price, you'd be gaining 100 caling minutes.

 

After Autopay (preauthorized payments) are factored in , you would get a $2 discount per 30 days at Public Mobile, but on the $15 plan, you'll also get 250MB of data.