cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get 4 GB at 3G speeds for $40!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of 9:35AM ET June 25, 2018: This plan is now expired. 

Hey Community,

For a limited time only, Public Mobile is offering a $40 for 4 GB at 3G speed plan which includes Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and Unlimited International text. This offer is available for new and current customers. Plus, if you sign-up or renew on this plan and refer a friend, you and your friend will also be eligible for our new and improved  Refer a Friend Reward. Let the savings begin!

Plan details:

• 30-day plan
  • 4 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to Get this Offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the ready-made plan “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

Remember, this promotion is for a limited time only, so hurry and activate as soon as possible!

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer, what is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

You may choose to change your plan immediately or on your next renewal date. Here is the difference:

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

• There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.
  • A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.
  • Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.
  • Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.
  • Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

• If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.
  • If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.
  • You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.
  • Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

256 REPLIES 256

Awesome testimonial @stevester911! Welcome to Public Mobile! Robot Happy

stevester911
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just signed up on this PM plan after VM up'd my price without telling me (I was on a promotional $45/4GB plan with 2 lines and they switched me to the $50/4GB plan which irked me). To sign up, I went into Walmart and received the free sim + $20 Bill Credit Promotion. In additional to this, I was able to receive the referral discount for my second line (my wife).

So far I am very happy I switched! I was at first apprehensive about the "3G speeds" but I can honestly say that for all the things I normally do I haven't really noticed any difference. Also love the fact that PM offers autopay discounts ($2), referral discounts ($1) and yearly loyalty discounts ($1).

gmd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@daredogg wrote:

@computergeek541 I'm currently paying $111 over 90 days and that includes 1GB LTE data and the texting, as well as the provincial calling I already mentioned.

That's my $90 plan!

In this case, it's Same for More.

@computergeek541 I'm currently paying $111 over 90 days and that includes 1GB LTE data and the texting, as well as the provincial calling I already mentioned. If I dropped to the 3G service, I'd be paying $6 less ($105 every 90 days) and get Canada-wide calling... but I don't think $2 savings every 30 days is enough to give up the faster data. Robot Frustrated

I think I'm going to hold out for now and wait for other deals to pop up. I was considering dropping to 500 MB, since I barely use any of the 3 GB I have, but realized it's nice to have just in case.

gmd

@daredogg wrote:

@gmd I would like to suggest that most people on PM are here because they are a "no frills" carrier. Yes, other providers provide more, but I'm currently paying for exactly what I need. Isn't the tag line... Less for Less...?!

I was with PM long before the Less for Less, back when we got More for Even Less.

@MoreYummy wrote:

@computergeek541  Those message are kind of annoying to some, but they might get used to it after a while. 😄

It's never happened to me, but when if/when it does happen to a customer, that person won't be able to place the phone call.  It's silly because I've never heard of a carrier with more system problems than Public Mobile. Knock on wood that I've never experienced any problems with my service.  I guess one could think of the Canada-wide calling option as an insurance policy.

@computergeek541  Those message are kind of annoying to some, but they might get used to it after a while. 😄

@daredogg wrote:

@computergeek541 I'm a little behind replying to this thread... 

I have the exact same dillema... CW calling or LTE data. My current plan has 1GB LTE and provincial calling (I've added LD minutes). Although this deal is nice... I don't know if it justifies me paying for more than I need. I'm still on the fence...

But is your plan with 1GB LTE data speed still available at the same price as it is now, or do you have it at some discounted promotional price?  For me, I can't get my plan back at anywhere clsoe to the price I'm paying now if I switch to this new promo plan.   I think that it is worth noting that anyone who is getting those erroneous long distance not included messages (for province-wide calling plans) would likely benefit from this Canada-wide plan in the sense that error would vanish.

I’ve decided to stay on the Fall 2016 Promo, as I can make free LD calls via google home mini or google hangouts, and 12 GB is still more than I need right now, as I only just used 7 GB last cycle.

The 3G plans are still LTE, which unfortunately, due to how PM fails to advertise correctly, is misreprepresented as 3G to most people.

@MoreYummy and @chj915

Remember though... even though it's 3G, it's throttled to that, which means the latency is still that of LTE service. Most people, providing they're not heavy streamers, do fine with the 3G service, especially knowing they're saving money! Robot Happy

Apparently they are tyring to put people on 3G plan.  The plans here dont work for everyone obviously.   That's why other branch of telus exist. and many moved over.

chj915

$40 for 4GB on LTE network would be more suitable by today's standards.

@computergeek541 I'm a little behind replying to this thread... 

I have the exact same dillema... CW calling or LTE data. My current plan has 1GB LTE and provincial calling (I've added LD minutes). Although this deal is nice... I don't know if it justifies me paying for more than I need. I'm still on the fence...

@gmd I would like to suggest that most people on PM are here because they are a "no frills" carrier. Yes, other providers provide more, but I'm currently paying for exactly what I need. Isn't the tag line... Less for Less...?!

I read through your list and I think a lot of the items you mentioned are of your opinion/experience, and not fact. Public Mobile is going to work well for many, but not everyone. For example... I am trying to get my parents to switch, but my mom wants to be able to call someone for support. She doesn't like the community forum support model. 

@Luddite wrote:

If you need lots of data, this plan is better: 30 days 6.5 GB + Canada wide calling + texting for $50. Use "Build your own" to find it.  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans.

@Luddite is right... an even better value is the 6.5 GB plan for $50. If you do the math... that's $7.69 per GB, versus $10 per GB with this deal or any other deal.

@stonechucker you were thinking of the $135 plan for 90 days... if you did the $150 plan, your cost per GB goes down to $7.69 for 19.5 GB!  Of course that's a LOT of data for some people (such as myself), but maybe to you or others that's a perfect amount of data.

There's been a lot of chatter around this deal... but quite honestly, I don't think it's appealing enough for people to switch. I still have my 1GB LTE from August 2016 (not the Fall 2016 deal) and I think I'll stay put. For my wife, however, I think I might do the $50 plan that @Luddite suggested. She always runs out of data (currently 3GB per 90 days).

gmd

All are on autopay. Within 24 hours of the renewal time (which always happen at different time for each of them), there is a period when the phone does not have data. On two of them, it happens during the day - quite annoying.

A friend had the same issue, but in his case, all was down (voice, SMS, data). Having a business, he moved his line elsewhere.

That service all the time except on the last day needs to be addressed if you're experiencing that.

HOWEVER, if you attempt to pay when it says expired, you're doing more harm than good if you're setup for AutoPay.

AutoPay works, for almost everybody as long as they do not try to pay (when they still have actual service), and the system hasn't finished it's renewal yet.

GreatCanadian

@gmd, What do you mean by "service all the time (on all our phones, we have no data for the last day of every cycle)"?

GC

gmd

Reasons to move

- Roaming options (other than US)

- LTE speeds

- bettern plans / more data (we have two providers on top of the big 3 in Ottawa)

- WiFi calling (including WiFi calling when roaming)

- VoLTE (including unrestricted by EMEI)

- service all the time (on all our phones, we have no data for the last day of every cycle)

- no more grandfathered clauses (e.g. we have one on the 90-days 1G $90 plan)

- no access to EXT network

- possibility to get handsets on "tabs"

- possibility to combine all accounts into one bill

- faster connect times (for calls)*

- no throttling*

- better sound quality (see thread on discussion about it - I'm in Ottawa)*

*I have a dual sim phone (OnePlus 3), and it's easy to compare as I have a TELUS in SIM2.

affanzaheer

sure, **********

affanzaheer

sounds right. good math

affanzaheer

I already subscribed from next month renewal. I also promoting to my friends, It is a good deal with a great network. no issues. works awesome. Thanks Public Mobile

affanzaheer

Yes you are right, in most cases 3G is still good option wth money savings. But again it depends person to person needs. 

@GreatCanadian, that's what I'm staying for, the reduced cost to me after rewards.

As I'm now a 2 year loyalty subscriber, I'm getting $2/30 days (6 total) and I have 1 friend referral ($1x3), and AutoPay $6/90 days, so as I just renewed last weekend, I'm already at $105/90, instead of $120.

Lelievreaj

@stonechucker I totally agree, I've had no problems with PM and they've always been good to me. That being said, Koodo has it's advantages as well - mainly the carrier supported WiFi calling. I work in northern Labrador where there's no cell service and this is particularly appealing to me. I asked a PM mod about the Koodo switch deal and they said there may be one out soon. You can text "offer" to 5132 to see if you qualify for any offers at this time. Before anyone asks, I don't know if that's a free message or not. 

Cheers!

GreatCanadian

@stonechucker I as well have no intentions of leaving PM. I have so many options plan-wise, that I can change whenever I want, option to pick and future-date a plan. My current plan (on upcoming renewal date) is 4GB data (3G), unlimited Canada-wide calling, unlimited global texting, and will cost me $27 for 30 days (after rewards are applied). I certainly can't complain about that. And if a better promo comes up before my remewal date I can cancel that plan and pick another in a matter of seconds. It would have to be a really really good deal for me to leave PM. 

GC

Andyrewr

thats good to know thanks!

I haven't seen anything for the Fall 2016 promo to move in months.  Last was the offer to move to Koodo for 6GB/mo $40.

Honestly, I'm happy here, and have no reason to leave PM.  If you're not being targetted by PM to move, you're just looking for a plan elsewhere.

gmd

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@denkom wrote:

Would LOVE to see this for LTE speed. Robot Sad

I don't see this happening again.  They have been trying to get LTE customers to migrate to Koodo and don't see a promo coming to increase the LTE customer base here

I'm in Ottawa trying to move 3 accounts to Koodo (from the $40 4GB plan) and the only viable options are to move away. Could someone show me signs that they are still trying to move people to Koodo?

Clayoquot

Hi @gharz

Moderators should be online now and hopefully will contact you soon. Be prepared to authenticte your account, they’ll send you info on what to do in their first reply to you so they can safety access your account info. 

Cheers,

TW

Need Help? Let's chat.