cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get 4.5 GB at 3G speeds for $40!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of November 20, 2018: This plan is now expired.

Hey Community,

As a competitive response, effective October 19th, 2018 we are bringing back our 4.5 GB at 3G speed for $40 plan for a limited time only.

Plan details:

$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms. Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date. We recommend changing your plan on your next renewal date so your money can go further, but ultimately the choice is yours.

To learn more about how to change your plan and other things you should consider when determining which option is best for you, check out our Self-Serve Account Management help article here.  

What happens if the “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you choose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

54 REPLIES 54

dumbdobie1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Even better deal thanks for sharing 🙂

@dumbdobie1 wrote:

I'm sure the vast majority was signing up for 30 day plans vs the 90 day one. So PM is putting more focus on the 30 day plans.

The 4.5GB for $40 is really a good deal, I don't see anything cheaper than that on a good network.

And right now you can future date a plan change that will get you 5GB for $40 on your renewal...https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

Thanks to @stonechucker for pointing it out here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/New-Plans-coming-soon/td-p/297739

dumbdobie1

I'm sure the vast majority was signing up for 30 day plans vs the 90 day one. So PM is putting more focus on the 30 day plans.

The 4.5GB for $40 is really a good deal, I don't see anything cheaper than that on a good network.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 90 day plans used to be a couple $ cheaper. But that changed when the plans got revamped.

Vinchenzo50
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Vinchenzo50

Thanks.

Maybe that's why the ydont offer 90 days, even more confusing if 30 days is differnt than one month.  Smiley Happy

mmike
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Very nice plan. Recently I activated the $30 plan. Let's see how much data I am going use per month. I may switch to this plan soon.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@CKreibom87 wrote:

My due date keeps changing each month which totally sucks with being low income 

Yup. Keyword "month". It's actually 30 days. Interesting outcome though. Hadn't thought of that. Sorry it's a struggle for you.

@Anonymous it amazes me how this gets past so many people.  Any time you have a month that isn't exactly 30 days long (Feb plus all the 31 day months), the following month your payment date changes.  For months following a 31 day month, your payment will be 1 day earlier the next month.  In March, your payment date will be 2 days later than in Feb, except on leap years when it will be 1 day later.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Try to top up early if you can.  Or at least a portion of it.  $5 a week might be enough to help you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CKreibom87 wrote:

Yup. Keyword "month". It's actually 30 days. Interesting outcome though. Hadn't thought of that. Sorry it's a struggle for you.

CKreibom87

Chanah
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Ouch, that's beyond frustrating. I think you're going to have to message a moderator to sort this out. Click the link to do that, and good luck!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

reconpirate

Hello, trying to go through and sign up for this deal, and was going through and setting up my account, then my wifi died as finalizing a plan, and when reconnected, account wasn't made and when i try to register new, it says my sim is invalid. 

So kinda at a loss, Help ?

thanks

Douglas

@Vinchenzo50 wrote:

So if this $ 40 a month for 4.5 GB promotion is for a limited time, if I sign up am I guaranteed this offer as long as I stay??  Or does the price go up once the promotion ends??

No carrier guarantees prices to stay the same forever.  At the same time, the pirce is not set to go up after the promotion ends.

Vinchenzo50

So if this $ 40 a month for 4.5 GB promotion is for a limited time, if I sign up am I guaranteed this offer as long as I stay??  Or does the price go up once the promotion ends??

@szymon247 wrote:

Will we ever see a $35 plan, perhaps with 2.5GB of data not as a competitive response, but just to be the greatest pre-paid again? Cat Happy

I have not seen anything like this with Public Mobile in the roughly 2 years that I have been with this service.  The way this service is currently run, the best way to get an idea of what deals are coming up is to check the competition.  Public mobile is now a follower and not much of a price leader.  The closest thing within the Telus family was a migration offer to Koodo in September that was $35/5GB.  There are competitors that offer something similar.  You can send me a PM and we can discuss offline as this is not a shopping forum. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@szymon247 wrote:

Will we ever see a $35 plan, perhaps with 2.5GB of data not as a competitive response, but just to be the greatest pre-paid again? Cat Happy

Is possible for Black Friday keep your fingers cross 😀

szymon247

@babinni wrote:

I changed from my current account which is $120 / 90 days, to this one $40/ 30 days in self service, however, it says I need to add $40 + tax to my account, even though the cost works out to the same per month and i have pre paid in advance for the 90 day plan- why?

Any immediate change in plan requires you to pay the price of the new plan.  You can future date your plan change so that on your next renewal it goes to this new plan and will charge you the new amount and new term length.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

babinni

I changed from my current account which is $120 / 90 days, to this one $40/ 30 days in self service, however, it says I need to add $40 + tax to my account, even though the cost works out to the same per month and i have pre paid in advance for the 90 day plan- why?

dumbdobie1

Yes the 4.5gb for $40 is very competitive. It's even cheaper than Freedom Mobile while on a much stronger network. I love it 🙂

snoopkitten420

I managed to score this plan and I'm so fricken happy!! I was paying $60 a month with Virgin Mobile's prepay service and that only gave me 1GB of data, 250 local minutes and only unlimited Canada-wide texting (MMS would cost me 0.50 per message). Now, I'm getting so much more, for so much less! 

Thank you, Public Mobile! Now, I'll never have to worry about if I can afford to keep up with my cell phone plan. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dna2016 wrote:

@Anonymous, $10 unlimited text, or you mean unlimited voice and text.  if it's voice and text that's crazy cheap, and probably too cheap for a company to truly make money off of.  Don't think any company in Canada would want to offer something that cheap even if it's for a short period of time.  End of the day companies are in the business to make money, and loads of it.  If it's just for unlimited text for $10, not sure if anyone would really jump on a text only plan though.

This is all wishful thinking of course. I'm not alone in seeing all these promos for piles of data that few people use all of and thinking crap come on.

I would be fine with $10 for unlimited provincial talk and unlimited international texting. That would be a great promo. I'm just going by their offerings. If you wanted to make it only provincial texting that would be fine too. But they don't distinguish smaller areas.

That way I can get add-ons for other calling and data. Maybe even a texting add-on for maybe 1000 outgoing for $5.

These companies are making plenty of money selling unused talk, text and data.

dna2016

@Anonymous, $10 unlimited text, or you mean unlimited voice and text.  if it's voice and text that's crazy cheap, and probably too cheap for a company to truly make money off of.  Don't think any company in Canada would want to offer something that cheap even if it's for a short period of time.  End of the day companies are in the business to make money, and loads of it.  If it's just for unlimited text for $10, not sure if anyone would really jump on a text only plan though.

dna2016

Pretty nice promo, good to see PM still offering promos during the non holiday season.  Still wating for a $30-$40 4G/LTEdata and voice/text promo.  Will they ever come back?   Smiley Sad

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rohitb91 wrote:

How do we know if we're going to get the next month free if we signed up through walmart?

It'll appear in your self-serve Available Funds which at renewal will use that first.

rohitb91

How do we know if we're going to get the next month free if we signed up through walmart?

Zhuoyu

Now more than 3 providers have this 4.5GB for $40 deal. A 3GB for $35 plan or a 2GB for $30 plan is more interesting to me.

Need Help? Let's chat.