Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective February 15th, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We have some important information to share with our Legacy/Pioneer customers. As a reminder, Legacy/Pioneer customers are those who continue to have access to the call centre and are on one of the five plans listed below.

• $22 Province-Wide Talk
  • $28 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $43 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $48 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $63 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

As you know, Public Mobile has been on a journey to become an online-only brand and give Canadians control of their wireless spend. Along this journey, we will need to make some changes to adapt. To that end, effective February 15th, 2018, all Legacy/Pioneer rate plans will increase in price. The reason for the price increase is simple: operating a call centre is expensive and, as the number of Legacy/Pioneer customers decreases, we lose the scale that has allowed us to operate it to date.

With that said, what we care about most is our customers and we want you to continue feeling good about your wireless choice, so we’ve worked with our sister brand, Koodo, to offer all Legacy/Pioneer customers a way to keep the same price. For a limited time, from January 10th to February 9th, 2018, Legacy/Pioneer customers can join Koodo with a similar rate plan that they have now with Public Mobile, at the same price they pay today. If you are a Legacy/Pioneer customer, you are eligible for this offer and you will be hearing from us over the next few days with details on how to take advantage of this deal.

If you are not a Legacy/Pioneer customer, this price increase and the above offer do not apply to you and you can continue enjoying your current plan.

To learn more, visit publicmobile.ca/serviceupdate.   

Thank you for your continued support as we evolve and change Smiley Happy

The Public Mobile Team

313 REPLIES 313

CynthiaM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I know if I am a Legacy/Pioneer customer? And what are the rate changes going to be?

claude1960
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Luddite

You were so close, except I cut my hair.moi 001.JPGmoi 002.JPG

claude1960

@kav2001c

Yes sir!
That what I like a bout the "..." anything goes.

@claude1960 you aquire an ice age mammal as your familiar?

haha

Couldn't resist @Luddite & @srlawren

@claude1960wrote:

@srlawren

Thank you for pointing that out....when you'll get to be my age......

@claude1960wrote:

@srlawren

@claude1960 Your portrait?

Gandalf.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

claude1960

@srlawren

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@claude1960wrote:

@kav2001c

this is not me my id is not my #

@claude1960 he wasn't talking to you.  He specifically tagged @4389341025:

wrote:

@4389341025 is your ID your phone number???

It's pretty clear that your username isn't anyone's phone number, @claude1960.  But @4389341025's appears to be.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

wrote:

I don't have text messages and I'm on the 22$ plan, I got a msg yesterday but can't open it. How do I get my promo code to switch over to Koodo

@4389341025 I'm not sure how you would know that a text message came to you and you couldn't see it. I have used a data only plan in the past and received text messages. In any case, to see the Koodo offer I suggest you do one, or all of the following:

a) call  611 and ask,

b) visit your nearest Koodo kiosk and ask them,

c) click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number, account PIN, and an explanation.

Good luck.

@4389341025 why would you need the same answer again?

Ok

Yes you will lose your referal

Cat Frustrated

wrote:

That's your question? Why not answer one of the relevant posts??

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That's your question? Why not answer one of the relevant posts??

claude1960

@kav2001c

this is not me my id is not my #

@4389341025 is your ID your phone number???

srlawren

@4389341025 wrote:

I don't have text messages and I'm on the 22$ plan, I got a msg yesterday but can't open it. How do I get my promo code to switch over to Koodo

This is a very good question, @4389341025.  @Brooke_C, do you have any suggestions?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@4389341025 yes, you will lose the reward for that referral going forward.

You will receive a text message like this after your referred person closes their Public Mobile account:

Screenshot_20180125-132353.jpg

If I referred a new customer to the 22$ plan a month or 2 ago and they migrate over to koodo will I loose my referral bonus?

imm1304

Didn't mean to surprise you, @Virginie13.  I read it as possible misconduct that you are reporting here that warranted complaining to the CCTS. 

Anyways, have you decided which of the 3 options you will be choosing if staying with PM?  It appears that the current 90-day plans offer good value copared to the legacy plans.  But the downside is that you lose the call center access via 611.  

Virginie13

Hi

I m surprise you mentioned my comment as serious allegations . I call this strange coincidences... Well at the time that the network malfunctions happen, I had comments from peoples around my circles, Public Mobile customers, who  had the same experiences or the same problems as the ones I mentioned . Call this strange coincidences!!! or what else...

All I know, is that peoples who were not Public Mobile customers, didn ‘t have this problem...

imm1304

Hi @Virginie13!

You are the first person to bring up this issue.  

These are very serious allegations and PM/Telus would be taking insane amount of risk to do something like this.  The legacy customers are not a source of huge losses which can drive any company to take such desperate and self-destructive actions.  

Having said that, you have every right to demand answers and I hope you get the answers directly from PM.  

claude1960

@Virginie13

Hi Miss,

Sorry to hear that. I've been with them too since the beginning with the exception that I switch for a better coverage and came back to PM when telus acquired them.

With all the promo I always decline their offer and absorb the increase.
But today I'll change to the regular service with Qc. illimited instead of asorbing the increase of $5 for Canada illimited.
A deception acceptable becauseI like Pm despite the feelling that we are not consider.

Be bless.

Virginie13

Hi, 

I have been a public mobile client since it's humble beginning. I stayed with Public Mobile when Telus took over. During the take over, our network connection was cut on and off and to incite us to switch with Telus. I stayed with public mobile. 

For some strange coincidence everytime Koodo had a promotion for the Public Mobile customer, I did have a problem with my network connection. A few monts ago,I  contacted and complained to the CCTS-CPRST.

Today I received a promotional call from Koodo. To my surprise, my network connection is acting up again. I am just wondering about coincidence ...

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nice to see PM provide their customers with alternatives.  Most larger companies just say what is happening and customers just have to accept it, or they'll need to contact the provider and demand to keep their plan in tact.  Nice to see PM is taking the initiative and a solution approach for those customers who may not want their plans affected.  It might be a slight inconvenience for them, but at least they're not left in the dark with no options.  Good job PM.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Kmcmahon wrote:

What provider ?

@Kmcmahon man best friend dog.jpgfido.png

claude1960

@Luddite

I knew about it

@claude1960 wrote:

@loggywd

the current plan doesn't include canada illimited
but I will take quebec illimited, wich is cheaper, and do my canada calls somehow else

@claude1960 The long distance add-on is $15 for 400 minutes, but you must have calling in your plan.

• Canada
  • USA
  • China
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • India
  • Italy
  • South Korea
  • Malaysia
  • Mexico
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Puerto Rico
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales)
  • Venezuela

claude1960

@loggywd

the current plan doesn't include canada illimited
but I will take quebec illimited, wich is cheaper, and do my canada calls somehow else

loggywd

Aren't the current plans cheaper or same priced? 

mimmo

wow great work @wetcoaster  so much confusion/questions  could have been avoided if a chart like this was posted with the announcement.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

I finally got around to putting the chart together.

This chart is for information purposes for legacy customers only.

As a community member I've put this together to the best of my knowledge and I believe it to be accurate as of January 18/2018. I'm not responsible for any inaccuracies or any changes in offered in-market plans by Public Mobile. 

Do your own homework before making any decisions.

Notes:

* You loose phone support if you switch to an in-market plan with Public Mobile. So, if phone support is important to you, you might be better served by either taking the Koodo offer or looking around for comparable offers by the competition (if you do the later you'll loose any available funds in your account at the time of account transfer).

* Changing to an in-market plan has to be done by calling *611.

* After switching to an in-market plan your account will be eligible for rewards: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Rewards/Who-can-earn-Rewards/m-p/426/highlight/true#M...

* Best pricing in the chart is calculated based on a 90 day plan and auto pay and loyalty rewards as per this post:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Pioneers/Rewards-after-changing-grandfathered-plan-to...

* You can earn more rewards by referring people (sorry, referrals before the switch can't be applied retroactively - info in thread linked above) and participating in the community.

* For even more options please spend some time playing with the plan builder.

legacy-inmarket-comparison.jpg

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@alanbrenan wrote:

@MVP wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@srlawren month to month is still a contract (hence the credit check)

On postpaid they are required to give notice (30 days) for price increases and can not make fundemental changes to your plan 

On Public no such restrictions (eg they wake up tomorrow and tell us all Public is now a talk & text only carrier! Cat Surprised )

Unlikely in the extreme Cat LOL but just for clarity of points

@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

That actually is one of the advantages of going postpaid on Koodo

@kav2001c my understanding was that your plan is only price protected on post-paid when you are in a contract.  I can't say for sure but assumed these Koodo deals would be month-to-month?

It is actually a curious question. If your plan renewal date is tomorrow, and PM announces a change

(e.g. price increase) to your current plan today, what are your options, and is this all legit and kosher

according to the Wireless Code?

Or do they have to announce any change earlier (i.e 30 or x days before)? On one hand, PM is surely prepaid formally, 

on the other hand, autopay option gives it a flair of postpaid. If they automatically charge ur  credit card,

there sure should be some  advance warning for a price change?

@MVP wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@MVP Public (and most prepay carriers) give 30 days as per internal policies

hey do not want to alienate the install base

The reason it is not covered by Wireless Code is because you PREPAY for service

Think about it

On Postpaid, you use the service THEN they send you a bill. Now imagine if that bill is higher than what you expected. Hence legal requirement of 30 day notice.

On Prepay you have no contract. Your renewal date is next week. Public raises rates.

Up to you if you want to pay or not.

Everything is simple and unambiguous if there is no AUTOpay involved.

You log in to your account, review what you owe and chose whether to pay or not.

With autopay, you are not (but  should be ) also provided with automatic possibility to review what you are gonna pay.

Theoretically, PM can increase the plan price 10-fold any day, and charge you4 credit csrd without notifying you.

Somehow this feels wrong to me... ando contrary to the spirit of wireless code.

And to the common sense. When you enrolled your credit card, you agreed to pay the curent price, not a possible increased price.

There should be some advance notification mechanism, which should allow you to chose whether to pay or to to go elsewhere?

I understand your cautions about the Wireless Code not protecting you, but judging on what I've seen from Public Mobile just because they could do it doesn't mean they ever will. They've given appropriate notice for all changes to people's plans as a courtesy and so they don't overburden the staff team with the amount of complaints.

You signing up to Autopay doesn't constitute a change of how the service is provided. It remains prepaid because a day before your auto renewal date you can check the www.publicmobile.ca/plans for any changes for yourself and stop your auto renewal. This option may not be available for postpaid plans and as such is controlled by the Wireless Code. See this excerpt from the Terms of Service:

I agree with you in general, and I’m not suspecting PM of any evil intentions. It is just AUTOpay situation is poorly regulated/protected  for pre-paid, compared with post-paid. E.g. for post-paid, there are always caps on overages, so that even if you have you plan on autopay, you cannot be charged an astronomically large amount. Whereas here, the provider can arbitrarily increase price, and charge ur CC automatically, without any warning to you. Does not sound right.

Again, not suspecting PM in such action, so far they have beed good folks.

Perhaps, it is just some aspect to amend the wireless code with 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.