Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the infamous $40 for 4GB price change

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave

809 REPLIES 809

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kattzwrote:

Yeah, OK. Do you think that they had any other option? There were more than 1600 complaints filed against them with a federal regulator. That letter has nothing to do with being nice people. They even told us right out that they are going to do this again at their earliest opportunity. Just the kind of people you want to count on as friends. 

If there are Public Mobile employees out there filling the forums with messages like this (and I'm not accusing the person who wrote this post), you do realize that it is illegal, right? Bell got a heavy fine for asking it's employees to give positive reviews of its apps in the app stores. 

Not sure who you are accusing of what. 

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jewelsrusswrote:

I just wanna know why they wanted to do this in the first place??? Are they going under sooner than later? Im nervous to let the $40/koodo plan slip away....then down the rd public goea under and I'm effed. Unsure what is actually going on! Please advise!!!

CEO apparently said he wants to move people up the value chain... From prepaid to post paid. Probably to get more $$ off $7/100mb and phone sales. PM won't "go under" they are owned by Telus. I personally think soon they will want people to move to PM for the minimal customer service demands/cost savings with lack of stores. 

Calculate and decide what is best for you

canucks4life

@Kattzwrote:

Yeah, OK. Do you think that they had any other option? There were more than 1600 complaints filed against them with a federal regulator. That letter has nothing to do with being nice people. They even told us right out that they are going to do this again at their earliest opportunity. Just the kind of people you want to count on as friends. 

If there are Public Mobile employees out there filling the forums with messages like this (and I'm not accusing the person who wrote this post), you do realize that it is illegal, right? Bell got a heavy fine for asking it's employees to give positive reviews of its apps in the app stores. 

No kidding there is already a place for that called amazon Cat LOL

Kattz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dave_M, Finally a company that directly speaks to their customers, and not hide behind mailed out template letters.  Definitely great to see PM stand true to their core values, and that is keeping their customers first in mind, and focusing on the customer needs.

This type of communication goes a long way.  It shows that PM has a heart, and is willing to apologize when wrong, very few companies ever admit to being wrong.  This tells me a lot about the mindset of PM's management, and they are definitely people person managers and not just a bunch of sales and numbers driven individuals.

Great communication, keep up the good work PM.  

Jewelsruss

I just wanna know why they wanted to do this in the first place??? Are they going under sooner than later? Im nervous to let the $40/koodo plan slip away....then down the rd public goea under and I'm effed. Unsure what is actually going on! Please advise!!!

Kattz

Yes, I realize that the official information is on the CCTS website. The thing is, all of the complaints that were filed over the price increase would have been rejected because we are supposed to contact PM first. 

I just sent a message to the moderator team. I asked what we should do if something like this comes up again and I also asked for whoever received the message to pass it on to the management team. 

For example, if we have a complaint and the mod is unable to resolve it, is there someone else that we can contact? Most companies have someone but PM operates differently. I had an issue with Bell one time that I couldn't get resolved. The President's secretary was the person to write to and she fixed the problem in 2 minutes. 

Public Mobile sends out texts that tell you to contact the CCTS if you have a problem. That isn't the correct procedure. They should have something on the site that clearly states their policy and procedure for resolving disputes. Every other telecom does. If that was there, there might not have been 1600 complaints filed with the CCTS. 

@Kattzwrote:

There was some confusion about the procedure for filing the complaint. Some of that came from a blog post by either Mobile Syrup or iPhone in Canada, I'm not sure. 

Public Mobile is actually responsible for a lot of the confusion. I seem to get a text a couple times a month that says to contact the CCTS if I have any complaints about my service from Public Mobile. There is no mention of a contact at PM or that you need to contact PM with your concerns first. I always thought that was a little strange. I'm going to create a separate post for a mod and ask that person to toss this one up the food chain and see if we can get some clarification on this. 

The CCTS website has all the information around initiating a complaint.  The information there would be more official and accurate than any carrier sourced information.  When initiating a complaint, one of the first things you are asked to answer is whether the carrier has been contacted to see if the issue can be resolved. 

Kattz

There was some confusion about the procedure for filing the complaint. Some of that came from a blog post by either Mobile Syrup or iPhone in Canada, I'm not sure. 

Public Mobile is actually responsible for a lot of the confusion. I seem to get a text a couple times a month that says to contact the CCTS if I have any complaints about my service from Public Mobile. There is no mention of a contact at PM or that you need to contact PM with your concerns first. I always thought that was a little strange. I'm going to create a separate post for a mod and ask that person to toss this one up the food chain and see if we can get some clarification on this. 

methyl

@pakmodewrote:

@MoreYummywrote:

It seems they got few 10s of thousand from these plan by looking at the complain volume.

Do these CCTS complain counts toward into their annual complain number?

Yes they do, and the CCTS is loving it as it justifies their existence and increases their operating budget for next year. 

Absolutely. They encouraged all people to open complaints for this craziness coming from PM even though CCTS was well aware they will be about just one common issue. They could've been proactive saying we got the issue, give us a few days to comment after talking to PM. Instead they got a record 1600+ complaints in a 1.5 days 

Bolt

good to hear PM listen

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MoreYummywrote:

It seems they got few 10s of thousand from these plan by looking at the complain volume.

Yes they do, and the CCTS is loving it as it justifies their existence and increases their operating budget for next year. 

@MK78wrote:

@PhoneSeekerwrote:

@canucks4lifewrote:

CCTS received more than 1600 complaints over Public Mobile $40/4GB price hike

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/20/ccts-received-more-than-1600-complaints-over-public-mobile-40-4gb...

Based on the article, it sounds like most, if not all of the complaints will be rejected because people didn't contact PM and give them enough time for a resolution.

Except how do you legitimately get PM to attempt to resolve it? Most people were posting in the thread, but that was probably not enough.

What I did, was send a PM to the Mod Team account, stating my intention to file a CCTS complaint, along with my name and account number.

They replied that they can't do anything about the raise...

Does that count? I took screenshots and was going to file my complaint in the evening, however in the afternoon they reversed the decision, so I didn't file the complaint.

Who does the CCTS contact at PM to see if the user had attempted to resolve an issue? Does the CCTS have to contact a PM on the forums? LOL...

With this forum only tech support, one begins to wonder...

I am certain that CCTS has ways to contact Public Mobile that are not open to the customer. I know that Public Mobile advertize "the company without a phone number", but we know that isn't actually true.  That phone number just doesn't take calls from subsribers.

As for Public Mobile telling you that they couldn't do anything for you, of course that counts and a attempt by you to resolve.  If you are no satisfied with the carrier's response, you have every right to contact CCTS.

mated3

whois koo.do
Domain Name: koo.do
WHOIS Server: whois.nic.do
Referral URL:  
Updated Date: 2017-09-01T16:40:06.467Z
Creation Date: 2011-06-27T04:00:00.0Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2018-06-27T04:00:00.0Z
Sponsoring Registrar: Registrar NIC .DO (midominio.do)
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID:  
Domain Status: ok
Registrant Name: Koodo Mobile
Registrant Organization: Koodo Mobile
Admin Name: Domain Administrator
Admin Organization: Koodo Mobile
Billing Name: CCOPS Billing
Billing Organization: Markmonitor
Tech Name: Domain Administrator
Tech Organization: Koodo Mobile
Name Server: dns1.cidc.telus.com
Name Server: dns2.cidc.telus.com
DNSSEC: unsigned
Additional Section
Sponsoring Registrar URL:  
Sponsoring Registrar Address: Av. R?mulo Betancourt 1108, La Julia   Apartado postal 2748, Santo Domingo
Sponsoring Registrar Country: DO
Sponsoring Registrar Phone:  
Sponsoring Registrar Fax:  
Sponsoring Registrar Customer Service Contact: info@nic.do
Sponsoring Registrar Customer Service Email: info@nic.do
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2018-02-21T00:39:25.487Z <<<

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Rockdaddy22wrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

@Rockdaddy22wrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

What a joke!!!

So I have already moved to Koodo because today Feb 16th was my renewal date for next 90 days. Now I lose the plan!!! and also had to pay for Koodo SIM card! !! !

@Civic_E good to see you again. I can’t believe you got screwed in all this 😢

@Rockdaddy22The screw up benefitted me though. Back with PM and got more than i lost or had asked for.

@Civic_E I’m so happy to hear that, I remember all the trouble we went through to get you signed up. What did you end up getting?

@Rockdaddy22 I got the fall promo plan back with all SIM card cost credited to my account and loyal rewards given

Yah all that “trouble”. As of today PM still have some glitches on their system which I can not complain about because I am taking 100% advantage of it...hahaha

canucks4life

One thing is for certain @Rockdaddy22 is OVER the hill Cat LOL

Sorry couldn't resist.

Rockdaddy22

They could start going uphill just as quick as they started going down, let’s hope. I’m going on 3 years this summer 🙂

Noosiekins

@denkomwrote:

@Noosiekins Yep...looks like PM is going downhill.

😞 I've only been with them for 9 months... should be able to reach 1 year...

Noosiekins

@MK78wrote:

@Noosiekinswrote:

I'm guessing the next time the big 3 offer the $60/10gb plan, there will be a lot of PM users jumping ship.

I know I won't hesitate, no matter how long i am into my 90 day deal.

My renewal is coming up. As long as they don't announce anything in the next 3 month, I'm good 🙂

canucks4life

@MK78wrote:

@Noosiekinswrote:

I'm guessing the next time the big 3 offer the $60/10gb plan, there will be a lot of PM users jumping ship.

Rockdaddy22

@Civic_Ewrote:

@Rockdaddy22wrote:

@Civic_Ewrote:

What a joke!!!

So I have already moved to Koodo because today Feb 16th was my renewal date for next 90 days. Now I lose the plan!!! and also had to pay for Koodo SIM card! !! !

@Civic_E good to see you again. I can’t believe you got screwed in all this 😢

@Rockdaddy22The screw up benefitted me though. Back with PM and got more than i lost or had asked for.

@Civic_E I’m so happy to hear that, I remember all the trouble we went through to get you signed up. What did you end up getting?

denkom

@Noosiekins Yep...looks like PM is going downhill.

MK78

@Noosiekinswrote:

Noosiekins

@denkomwrote:

It's great to see that PM is not going through with the price hike on the $40/4gb plan (not that it affects me as i'm on a different plan unfortunately). But it seems like the price will change eventually anyway. This just buys people some more time. I guess this also means there are no real promos on the horizon. Too bad.

MK78

@PhoneSeekerwrote:

@canucks4lifewrote:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/20/ccts-received-more-than-1600-complaints-over-public-mobile-40-4gb...

Based on the article, it sounds like most, if not all of the complaints will be rejected because people didn't contact PM and give them enough time for a resolution.

Except how do you legitimately get PM to attempt to resolve it? Most people were posting in the thread, but that was probably not enough.

What I did, was send a PM to the Mod Team account, stating my intention to file a CCTS complaint, along with my name and account number.

They replied that they can't do anything about the raise...

Does that count? I took screenshots and was going to file my complaint in the evening, however in the afternoon they reversed the decision, so I didn't file the complaint.

Who does the CCTS contact at PM to see if the user had attempted to resolve an issue? Does the CCTS have to contact a PM on the forums? LOL...

With this forum only tech support, one begins to wonder...

denkom

It's great to see that PM is not going through with the price hike on the $40/4gb plan (not that it affects me as i'm on a different plan unfortunately). But it seems like the price will change eventually anyway. This just buys people some more time. I guess this also means there are no real promos on the horizon. Too bad.

The MobileSyrup report places bias on to how PM customers were affected.

Which really mean it doesn't have much to say, since it paraphrases and embellishes the CCTS report.  And the CCTS report glosses over the impact to PM or to PM's customers but places bias on following proper procedure, noting normally these complaints would be invalidated by violating protocol even though they were submitted in unprecendented high volume (1600 complaints in 1.5 days).

kevin_camera

@Korthwrote:

@canucks4lifewrote:

MobileSyrup got this information from the official CCTS statement.

Interesting negative spin of story from CCTS.  They're basically shifting part of the blame to the public saying it's "bad" to overload them with online requests.

While I see it differently -- instead of dealing with 1600 incidents individually, they were able to resolve 1600 issues all at once by forcing public mobile to make a move themselves so the CCTS organization does not need to do the work 1600 times.

Hope the online submission process does not go away.

Need Help? Let's chat.