Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40 Plan Update

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Starting November 10, 2020, we are adding 500MB of data to our current $40 for 4GB plan, turning it into the $40 for 4.5GB plan!

New Plan Details:

• $40 per 30 days
  • 4.5GB data at 3G speeds (per 30 days)
  • Plus, get 500MB BONUS data and $2 off when you sign up for auto-pay (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text

How to get this offer: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5GB + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

62 REPLIES 62

The $40 5Gb plan existed when I started here just over 2 years ago or maybe that was right when it started. I started on the $30 1/2 Gb plan that didnt offer another 1/2 Gb bonus for Autopay. Very soon after I started they changed my plan to $25 and then shortly after that extended the 1/2 Gb Autopay bonus availability to it. The whole time the $40 4.5 Gb plus 1/2 Gb bonus for autopay was available. 

To answer @TmainPMcommunit , you likely have been on it for a couple of years at least. They cut it back to 4 Gb plus 1/2 Gb bonus a couple months ago and then put it back to where it was soon after.

AE_Collector

@TmainPMcommunit wrote:

I've been on the $40 plan with 5GB with autopay for years. This is a bit strange!

I'm not sure if the 5GB version of this plan has been available for years, but it was available for a considerable amount of time. I can recall versions of "3g" $40 plans including either 2.5, 4.5, or 5GB of data per 30 days. This change in the current $40 plan restores it to what it was very shortly before.

@TmainPMcommunit wrote:

I've been on the $40 plan with 5GB with autopay for years. This is a bit strange!

If it's years, suspect it's the 12 (+autopay bonus) GB 90 day plan that's still full LTE.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

TmainPMcommunit
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

If wasn't for the rewards, who would actually choose Public over Lucky?

Me. As I recently wrote in the lounge...the add-ons mostly tip me to here. The base plan plus add-ons. Keep my cost obligation low and consume features as I need. Even with the $10 plan gone for new customers. So now it's equal price with Lucky and Chatr. PM wins.

Me too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

If wasn't for the rewards, who would actually choose Public over Lucky?

Me. As I recently wrote in the lounge...the add-ons mostly tip me to here. The base plan plus add-ons. Keep my cost obligation low and consume features as I need. Even with the $10 plan gone for new customers. So now it's equal price with Lucky and Chatr. PM wins.

@computergeek541 

Most of my referrals collect AutoPay, some have Loyalty now, a few have one or two referrals of their own. "Rewards" doesn't sound like much of an exciting incentive, but knocking $ off monthly bill and $$ off annual costs is enough to tip the balance.

Throw in the lack of fees and charges for all the little stuff and PM actually seems much more compelling than Lucky for all sorts of usage niches.

One advantage Lucky does have is a wider array of long-distance calling destinations. Lucky customers can call Ukraine or Belarus or Latvia. So I have friends who stay with Lucky, who won't join PM regardless of any Rewards they might earn.

I agree that PM is earning a dubious distinction by being the only major operator left which refuses to support any LTE or "unlimited" data options.

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541 

Well at least Public is still keeping pace with Lucky, lol.

And all else being more or less equal, Public's Rewards (and maybe gifts) still keep it ahead.

I do wonder how many of Public Mobile's customers are actively trying to get largely discount plans through rewards. In a way, I would think that number would be rather low as I can't see the majority of customers being active here on a daily basis and pushing for new referrals. Then again, I see the rewards as one of the few reasons for customers to currently join Public Mobile. Public Mobile really lost something when they got rid of LTE plans.  If wasn't for the rewards, who would actually choose Public over Lucky?

@computergeek541 

Well at least Public is still keeping pace with Lucky, lol.

And all else being more or less equal, Public's Rewards (and maybe gifts) still keep it ahead.

@jor123 wrote:

Nice to see a little extra data! 

I don't see this as extra data. This is a restoration of the amount of the data that this plan had for a long time. For a very brief time, Public Mobile lowered the amount of data.  A short time later, Public Mobile put it back to 5GB, probably at least partially beecause Lucky kept their $40 plan at 5GB too.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Nice to see a little extra data! 

@mh1983 

When is the last time you got a deal alert? I havent recieved anything since the pandemic started from the deal alerts sign up......although i have previously suggested pm start using it again ir get rid if it. Right now its false hope for potential new customers.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Catherine_T, it is great to see that this is going back to the plan.  My question is why do customers have to go in and change plan isn't PM able to just change this for the customer?  There are many customers that don't come into the community and will not know about this and will miss out on this. (Or is that part of the plan?)

I can see the value in offering this, but PM lets us change the plans whenever we like. So I think it's not too much to ask the customer to do a little due diligence. It's a simple matter of checking our Self Serve accounts to see what's on offer. 

And in terms of missing these announcements: people can sign up for deal alerts right from the PM website.

mh1983_0-1605619195514.png

@computergeek541 

Now that you mention that other change in the $40 plan last year I think I may recall that as well. I recall the big change where they chopped out the $35 and $45 plans leaving just the $25, $40 & $50 plans, I think that was fairly early in 2019. When I signed up in Dec 2018 I started on the $30 plan that had 1/2 Gb with NO 500 Mb bonus for Autopay. Only the larger plans included that. Then they cut the price of the $30 plan to $25 and very soon after added the 500 Mb Autopay bonus on this plan. I sort of wish I had more closely recorded all the changes over my two years here! The slow but steady improvements in price and/or the amount of included data leave me hopefully of more improvements to come!

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

To keep all the $40 plans clear (hopefully), here is a summary  ...

$40 Plan VERSION 1 - $40 plan with 4.5 Gb and a 500 Mb AutoPay Bonus existed for at least a couple of years up until about September 29, 2020.

$40 Plan Version 2 - $40 plan with 4.0 Gb and a 500 Mb AutoPay Bonus from about Sept 29, 2020 until Nov 10, 2020.

$40 Plan Version 3 - $40 plan with 4.0 Gb and a 500 Mb Bonus and a 500 Mb AutoPay Bonus November 11, 2020 until present.

I dont think there is ultimately any difference between VERSION 1 and VERSION 3 except for the wording... is there? I guess the extra 500 Mb bonus may disappear from VERSION 3 again but not if you are already on that plan. 

The "Version 3" plan isn't advertised in that way. it's advertised as 4.5GB +500MB. I would say that it very likely has an identical plan code to "Version 1".  When looking at the plan history at the $40 price point, it has not always included those data amoutns for the past couple of years. At one point last year, the data amount was cut in half.

To keep all the $40 plans clear (hopefully), here is a summary  ...

$40 Plan VERSION 1 - $40 plan with 4.5 Gb and a 500 Mb AutoPay Bonus existed for at least a couple of years up until about September 29, 2020.

$40 Plan Version 2 - $40 plan with 4.0 Gb and a 500 Mb AutoPay Bonus from about Sept 29, 2020 until Nov 10, 2020.

$40 Plan Version 3 - $40 plan with 4.0 Gb and a 500 Mb Bonus and a 500 Mb AutoPay Bonus November 11, 2020 until present.

I dont think there is ultimately any difference between VERSION 1 and VERSION 3 except for the wording... is there? I guess the extra 500 Mb bonus may disappear from VERSION 3 again but not if you are already on that plan. 

Anyone on VERSION 2 SHOULD schedule a change to VERSION 3. But I’m not sure if there is anything to gain in changing from VERSION 1 to VERSION 3. If you are on VERSION 3 you wont lose the 500 Mb bonus if they remove it in the future for new customers. But I see no reason to update from VERSION 1 to VERSION 3. I see people asking here if they need to schedule an update to the New Plan (VERSION 3) but they generally aren’t indicating if they are currently on VERSION 1 or VERSION 2 of the plan. YES if on VERSION 2 but it was only offered for about 6 weeks so how many are actually on it?

Thoughts?....

AE_Collector

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Dear Lord

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I'm glad the old 40 plan is back:)

rajnag123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That’s a great offer!!

@Rosguru wrote:

Hi Community, 

Am I understanding it that if someone is on the $40 plan, they now have to go back into their account and select "change plan" to select the new and improved $40 plan to become eligible to get the extra 500gb ?   

Please advise.

Thanks

Your understanding is correct.  This isn't an plan that has an "update". You need to consider this as a new plan and as such, need to change to it.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rosguru wrote:

Hi Community, 

Am I understanding it that if someone is on the $40 plan, they now have to go back into their account and select "change plan" to select the new and improved $40 plan to become eligible to get the extra 500gb ?   

Please advise.

Thanks

Yes, you need to schedule plan change to the new $40 5GB plan on your next renewal date.  Don't change plan immediately because PM is prepaid service and there is no refund of the unused days of your current cycle.

Rosguru
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi Community, 

Please advise.

Thanks

@cnberg wrote:

If I upgrade to this new plan with 500 extra megabytes, do I lose my previous plan add-ons? I had received a 500 MB holiday bonus when I signed up with public mobile initially. Thank you!

You won't lose add-ons when changing plans.

cnberg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I upgrade to this new plan with 500 extra megabytes, do I lose my previous plan add-ons? I had received a 500 MB holiday bonus when I signed up with public mobile initially. Thank you!

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I think PM needs to really stop with these matching other carriers ping pong and really offer plans that ppl either need or perhaps want

Also

PM in my opinion, they really need to reconsider their position on the 4G LTE

If they offer 3G Speeds on the 4G LTE

why can't they ALSO bring BACK actual TRUE 4G LTE Speed plans as well?

Plus, if the price for Add-On Data is $15, surely they can consider TRUE 4G LTE speeds as well.

They really need to quit with this ping pong with Lucky, Chatr and really show that PM is not the average Prepaid and that we can offer something that would make Plain Prepaid Boring and obsolete and Postpaid more like a distant memory in the rearview mirror and that Prepaid PM can mimic lot's of what Postpaid can do, BUT under the Prepaid Banner and perhaps give ALL their competition a REAL Run for their Money

@Danchvn wrote:

@gpixel wrote:

I think pm should change the plans now. and stick with the 2gb increase for each higher plan 

$35/3gb

$40/5gb

$45/7gb

$50/9gb

$55/11gb

That's good but perhaps also a $30/2gb plan?

The did exist at one point, but then, Public Mobile proceeded to increase the price back to previous levels ($35). Currently, I believe that the $35 plan is (still) the least appreciated of all Public Mobile price plans. That would be because of the relatively high price for the amount of data included, while also not being the least expesive plan that includes unlimited calling.

Danchvn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gpixel wrote:

I think pm should change the plans now. and stick with the 2gb increase for each higher plan 

$35/3gb

$40/5gb

$45/7gb

$50/9gb

$55/11gb

That's good but perhaps also a $30/2gb plan?

$35/3gb

$40/5gb

$45/7gb

$50/9gb

$55/11gb

I still think PM could do a lot better, this perhaps the beginning, BUT I STILL think PM has work to do to make things even better and grander at least

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LoreckAvery wrote:

does anyone know if you’ll lose rewards or loyalties by making a switch to this plan?

No, rewards are attached to your account.  You can change your plan anytime and keep your rewards.

If you activated your plan with promotion attached to you plan, you may lost the promotion after plan change.

Need Help? Let's chat.