Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice mail

Aheavenfire
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why is my voice mail a different area code

8 REPLIES 8

@Aheavenfire 

The same voicemail system is shared by Telus Mobility, Koodo, and Public Mobile. All numbers reach the same system, so you can technically use any of them to access your voicemail. Traditionally the voicemail access number was always considered a "local" call (no long distance charge) when calling from your home area but with Public Mobile all current plans include canada-wide calling so you are free to use any of them if you wish...

Here is a list of all currently known voicemail deposit/access numbers accross Canada:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-N...

@HALIMACS wrote:

Hi @Aheavenfire 

It may have more to do with the possibility that the province or territory you're living in may be served by more than one area code.   If that's the case, the area code may vary.   That's my best guess.

The voicemail retrieval number for any account could actually be any of the availble numbers. While usually in the same province, that's not always the case. I've seen the Public Mobile system assign a retrieval number with an area code from Nova Scotia for an Ontario number and a retrieval number from Saskatchewan for a Alberta phone number.  This is all likely just an attempt at some sort of load balancing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aheavenfire wrote:

Why is my voice mail a different area code

There are many voicemail access numbers across the country. What is your province and area code?

If you're not on the $15 plan then with unlimited calling it doesn't really matter. Nor will the caller care as it doesn't impact them. PEI, NFLD and a couple territories don't have one.

Hi @Aheavenfire 

It may have more to do with the possibility that the province or territory you're living in may be served by more than one area code.   If that's the case, the area code may vary.   That's my best guess.

jlarocque96
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Voicemail is hosted at a different location and number.

Aheavenfire
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So it has to do with my location

jlarocque96
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

Voicemail typically is different number or different area code across most cellular providers.

This goes for bell, virgin, telus, ect..

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Aheavenfire 

It's possible the voicemail server location is in a different location than your local phone calling area.

Need Help? Let's chat.