cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Data Plans

Rw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Will there ever be a day when Public Mobile is able to have unlimited data plans? 

30 REPLIES 30

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Korth 

I'm not sure where the hosts file would be on my phone. On PC I just use adblock and on my phone the app I mentioned.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Mobile Brave browser with Mobile Adblock Plus takes care of all adblock and scriptblock for me. Both free, both able to enable or disable on demand, both able to whitelist or blacklist sites. The few ads (and annoying objects like autoplaying video boxes) which do sneak through are quickly killed forever across all sites by right-clicking or hold-clicking them to add into "custom filters".

YouTube ads are easy enough to circumvent anyhow, even without any dedicated filtering apps (just edit your HOSTS.TXT file):

youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element

youtube.com##.ytp-ce-covering-overlay

youtube.com##.ytp-ce-covering-shadow-top

youtube.com##.ytp-pause-overlay

youtube.com##.ytp-endscreen-content

B12

@Korth 

My Galaxy Note 4 had Havoc-OS on it, a fork of android 9 albeit very customizable. I decided to go back to stock android 5.1.1. to see if performance among other things would differentiate... and honestly, I can't tell the difference. The only difference I have made is getting rid of the pesky apps that I never asked for to begin with. I really only use 2 apps frequently, Firefox and YouTube Vanced (might wanna look it up if you, like me, can't stand the sight of ads).

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@B12 wrote:

I went from about 300 apps that I don't care about, also taking up about 7GB to less than 20 apps and now taking up 1.55GB. That's insane. 7GB of bloat should be illegal.

That bloat doesn't just fill memory which clogs up your device's performance.

It also consumes data. About 300 (or less than 20) apps constantly pinging the network, reporting to their mothership websites, checking for updates, passing along whatever background data/telemetry they've been programmed to collect. A few bytes here, a few bytes there, data sent, data received ... and suddenly you're not just frustrated by bloated performance but you're also paying for data communications which are being used up on stuff which is important (revenue) to the app devs but is utterly unimportant (invasive) to you.

I'm more of the mindset that approaching zero apps is desirable. Don't need constantly active email app, youtube app, and navigation app when I can just do email, youtube, and navigation on demand through my browser and have those resources freed up for other things once those browser pages are closed.

I used to run cyanogen mods and ubuntu ports but constantly (or at least intermittently) broken compatibility with the real world was just too much time-wasting hassle. I've recently discovered GrapheneOS and so far I've been quite impressed.

sunnyday1427
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We don't know about future but its definitely growing so who knows what options will come.

B12

@bluejaywpg 

Samsung actually uses some of the best hardware claimed to be available for today. My problem with Samsung is their software, it is so bloated that it ruins the experience for me. The only company that I've found to "beat" them so far is Huawei and I won't even touch a Huawei device.

Simple solution to the bloat, https://christitus.com/debloat-android/.

That does involve coding but Chris Titus has written out a guide so it's all baby steps for you. I went from about 300 apps that I don't care about, also taking up about 7GB to less than 20 apps and now taking up 1.55GB. That's insane. 7GB of bloat should be illegal.

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@B12 exactly. We as a society allow it because we don't vote with our wallets enough & we don't demand action from our elected federal politicians.  Our current government is doing a little bit but not enough.  The previous government did diddlysquat.  Even though people have been complaining about bad service nonstop to the CRTC.

Same with phones.  I think the phones' hardware is pretty good but yes they should slim down things on the OS / software side.  Plus, for example, Google Maps is known for using a lot more data than Waze.  Whether one's data limit is 250 MB or 250 GB, there need to be options for lite data usage, whether it's GPS software, watching videos, etc.

bluejaywpg

@hairbag1 I typically review various aspects of things I pay money for every few months.  Everybody should be doing that.  A little time invested = a lot of money saved.

B12

@srlawren 

It seems crystal clear to me that these companies, not just B/R/T, but also Samsung/Apple/Google want control of our wallets and they've assumed said control because people continue to buy the junk they sell.

You might disagree with me on the "junk" part and that's fine, most people do. The devices they sell today are bland and have been for generations. Heck, I am using a Galaxy Note 4 and I'm still not very content with it. Why? Because of all the bloat Samsung puts on it because they can, because no one will fight it. Lots of people in fact use the bloat and have been trained how to.

IF everyone were to stop buying phones and stop wasting their money on these plans that aren't worth what they are asked for, it would not only force B/R/T to lower prices but it is so maverick for the people of today that people wouldn't do it because they feel they need it, they can't live without texting or calling, or their precious data that's obscenely priced.

Sure, we have some of the best towers and networks in the world... and you know what, the companies that keep this stuff up and going sure have no problem gouging people to use it and as long as we allow it to go on, they will continue to gouge.

@bluejaywpg wrote:

@srlawren by doing what we did - choose providers like PM.  It may not always be a viable option for everyone but I'm sure many people overbuy, & can make do with PM easily, & save $.

I was also referring to in general - not just cell services.  Banking, getting / renewing a mortgage, etc.

Pre-March 2020...most people were going about their lives without really doing a deep dive into how much they're paying in fees every month. Everyone knew they were paying too much but were not willing to invest the time to investigate alternatives.

After March 2020...everyone is cloistered with nothing to do but look at their computers. Now...people are starting to ask those questions ie...why am I paying so much for my banking / phone service / mortgage rates / Shaw cable rates...any recurring payments that we never much thought of, are now getting scrutinized.

Just too bad a took a worldwide pandemic.

bluejaywpg

@srlawren by doing what we did - choose providers like PM.  It may not always be a viable option for everyone but I'm sure many people overbuy, & can make do with PM easily, & save $.

I was also referring to in general - not just cell services.  Banking, getting / renewing a mortgage, etc.

bluejaywpg

@Anonymous Just before reading your reply I posted a new thread asking where do you bank.  Another fee-free option is Simplii Financial.

Yup if they need a new device but don't have the cash upfront, it's still a good idea to explore those options 1st.  Though they should consider timing it around Black Friday or Boxing Day since there are usually very good deals, if not the best deals, to be had then.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous couldn't agree more.  I have free accounts at a couple of local credit unions and haven't paid banking fees in years.  

@bluejaywpg how do you propose voting with your wallet when all 3 of the big players all copy each other?  If you're in QC, I guess you could use Vodafone.  If you happen frequent areas with good Freedom Mobile/Shaw Mobility coverage I guess you could try them. But for anyone that needs a reliable national network and doesn't live in QC, the choices are a bit weak.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bluejaywpg wrote:

We need more people to step up & say that this (high priced plans) is not acceptable, & to actually vote with their wallets.  Rather than renewing & upgrading their overpriced iPhone at regular price & going with the big 3 oligopoly & their top tier plans at the premium price.

No wonder the banking industry is making huge profits too.  Not enough people are saying that $20-$40 per month just to have unlimited access to their own money is unacceptable (which the bank invests, pays for the banks' operations, & ultimately profits off of).

Can you say credit union. I long ago left banks behind. Obscene profits that I won't participate in.

People are sold on the latest doodad. But it of course has to be paid for. Not all of those people wish to pay up front for that doodad.

bluejaywpg

We need more people to step up & say that this (high priced plans) is not acceptable, & to actually vote with their wallets.  Rather than renewing & upgrading their overpriced iPhone at regular price & going with the big 3 oligopoly & their top tier plans at the premium price.

No wonder the banking industry is making huge profits too.  Not enough people are saying that $20-$40 per month just to have unlimited access to their own money is unacceptable (which the bank invests, pays for the banks' operations, & ultimately profits off of).

srlawren

@Korth wrote:

@srlawren wrote:
The clauses aren't BS, it's just how they've structured the plans.

Too many consumers confuse what they want with what they bought. They don't read the contracts they've signed, they don't bother to compare these terms with those offered by competitors.

@Korth I can't disagree with this.  Typically in the Canadian mobile marketplace, that's actually "safe" to do, since the 1st tiers and 2nd tiers of the big 3 copy each others' changes almost immediately; in other words, if you know something x about carrier y in tier z, the same is probably true about carrier w in tier z.  PM tends to be different than Lucky and Chatr, so that pattern falls apart slightly down here in tier 3.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jonfirlotte

With the lack of free wifi hotspots in our area we're in need of unlimited access

@srlawren wrote:
The clauses aren't BS, it's just how they've structured the plans.

Too many consumers confuse what they want with what they bought. They don't read the contracts they've signed, they don't bother to compare these terms with those offered by competitors.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are ultimately the only one in control of your wallet. If you don't like the offerings of a business then you take your business elsewhere. If enough people don't like what the business offers then the business needs to change or it will fail.

If there's no viable choice then you need to make your own decision as to where you can compromise.

B12

This was apparently 2 weeks ago. Don't really want to re-respond but I would like to point something out and it's very slimy to my eye.

If you were to visit any of the second tier providers (or even first tier) you'd notice that every tablet plan (minus maybe Virgin) is only available to Eligible "Postpaid" customers. This means that they will not accept your request for a tablet plan, which is roughly $50/mo (tablet+plan), unless you are already on their payroll for a phone plan and possibly a loaned phone as well, that itself amounts to roughly $62.15/mo on one of the cheapest plans. Altogether, that's easily over $100/mo.. You tell me if you think that's slimy or just what they felt was right for the customer.

Sure, it's their business, so they say what goes... Well that does not mean I have to "go with it".

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Unlimited data will be great.

Kevin89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would love this plan so muchhh!

B12

@srlawren 

I am certainly not holding it. 😋

srlawren

@B12 wrote:

If and when there are unlimited data plans available, without any bs clauses, and they are dirt cheap ($5/mo), I will be a happy guy.

@B12 please don't hold your breath while waiting for this utopia.

The clauses aren't BS, it's just how they've structured the plans.  They sell you X GB of full-speed data, and if you use that all up, for the remainder of the month you get unlimited but heavily throttled data.  

B12

It seems many other companies already offer this in a clause-agreement.

For example, 10GB of data a month and after the 10GB you have "unlimited" but with a reduced bandwidth of 512Kbps.

If and when there are unlimited data plans available, without any bs clauses, and they are dirt cheap ($5/mo), I will be a happy guy.

bluejaywpg

Although I don't see myself using it, it would be nice to have an unlimited data plan as an option, even if it was throttled down further after a certain amount of data usage within 30 days.

rhbcc

you know what they say.. " you get what you pay for"

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Rw wrote:

Will there ever be a day when Public Mobile is able to have unlimited data plans? 

This question has been asked before, numerous times, every month.

Public Mobile has not (as far as I know) ever come out and answered with a flat "no". But people have asked, begged, criticized, argued to PM about unlimited data for at least a year now while PM has simply not responded with any unlimited data options.

Many PM customers recognize that PM's Rewards are worth more than "unlimited" data throttled to frustratingly slow rates. "Unlimited" or "Endless" or "Infinite" data is really more about product marketing than about product delivery. But I suppose 64kbps is good enough for GPS stuff or text-over-data or some streaming audio, even when it's nearly unuseable if those data services are fed through a website which will take minutes to refresh each time you click something.

People have declared that PM's lack of unlimited data is unacceptable and threatened to leave for Lucky, Chatr, Freedom, or one of the big brands. Sometimes they have left. Sometimes they came back. Sometimes they didn't. PM doesn't seem particularly concerned.

But PM has surprised us before with free gifts and free plan upgrades and free service improvements. So I wouldn't say unlimited data will "never" come to PM. I would say that if/when it does, it will be on PM's terms. They're apparently in no rush (do not desire and have no real need) to offer it.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Rw not sure if you know or not but posting in the lounge will give your post-round about 110% zero recognition and only us perusing through the lounge will actually see it.

If you have a question about services you can ask in the discussion board and an oracle or someone with limited knowledge about PM-products could assist you.

Being a prepaid carrier the likelyhood of unlimited data might be out of reach. This type of service may not cater to those looking for that. It is more geared to people who dislike paying for cell phone bills like myself, lol.

Have a great night!  

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Unlimited data plan with a reasonable price will be great!

Need Help? Let's chat.