cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why is Canada so expensive for cell service?

This new thread has been started with messsages moved from roughly a point where the discussion changed into an entirely different topic.

69 REPLIES 69

@bluejaywpg 

Sorry but @maximum_gato got put in the doghouse but the seat was stillbwarm from my vacation of it.....now of course their are many ways of maximizing your points and acquiring coupons. There are several coupon sites such as save.ca that you can print out coupons (limited)or have mailed out to you. (One of these days i should pick up a printer on a SDM bonus redemption weekend!) Whenever you go shopping or even just pop in for an item or two quickly scan the aisles for the coupon display danglers and grab several coupons for items you will buy in the future ( i only take coupons i know i will use.) Premium grocery stores (safeway or sobeys)will almost always have a better selection of coupons displayed with longer expiry dates vs bargain grocery stores (no frills or giant tiger)who will often display them within a week or two of expiry. You then save them for a sale/price match/points offer/air miles blue bonus or combination  there of......

There is also some coupon apps like check out 51 which offer coupons you load onto your app and you scan reciepts and bar codes into to redeem the coupons for a rebate check or paypal pay out. Taking advantage of rebate sites such as rakuten and GCR offer small percentage rebates 1%-5% avg  but can add up over time and both offer referrals.....rakutens newly introduced in april  is $25 for the referrer and $5 for the referred. Dont sign uo for any site without a referral code if you can......its free money right!! Even check out 51 has one or the koho card. ( My roommate couldnt believe he had over $100 in cashback from me giving away his code in 3 months.)

Additionally following RFD and smart canucks will turn you onto flash sales for points offers, promo codes etc.....and offer loyalty program specific forums for pc optimum, pc insiders ( a must if you have a baby you can practically get free diapers!) Air miles etc....that can start you off but if you need specific advice or info you can always pm me so we dont break any t of s by accidently speaking about something we shouldnt.

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I wonder how much money we're going to save because of this thread LOL. 

bluejaywpg

@CFPartDeux Math? No problem LOL. I was kind of a star math student, & people often call me a human calculator for being able to do simple math very quickly, or add up 3 or 4 digit numbers (or bigger) in my head in seconds. I do have brain farts occasionally. But @maximum_gato is free to bring on the numbers & I welcome them with open arms LOL.

bluejaywpg

@maximum_gato OK that is awesome. I have done similar things to get major points & take advantage of fabulous offers, except... 

FREE?!?!?! And how the heck do you get all those coupons?! I'm lucky to find 1 coupon every 3 months for 1 single thing I actually use!!! And sometimes I don't even bother using the coupons at all because a store branded product is STILL cheaper.

My favourite coupons are the ones Old El Paso periodically puts in their taco kits to get up to $5 off fresh produce whenever you buy a (future) taco kit (usually priced $3-4 at Superstore) & a jar of salsa. Except this year they dropped the requirement for salsa (which we generally need to buy anyway, though there was a time I had like 10 jars of salsa so we gave away a few to a friend LOL) so now Old El Paso pays me $1-2 for taking a kit home every time I use that coupon, & sometimes even more if I have a PC Optimum points offer!

So I can do some of that too, but not at your level LOL. I used to read newspaper articles in the 1990s from a local man who shared some of his ways of saving money, & he wrote about how he got entire grocery trips for free & even got paid some money for shopping!!! How? I don't think he explained in full but besides having a boatload of coupons (how he got them I have no idea), waiting for sales at the right times, & possibly seniors' discount days, there were stores that offered double coupon days where the store rebated manufacturers' coupons at double the face value.

Of course, this has all changed - I haven't seen a store offer double coupon days in ages. And now you have points clubs galore, internet-based offers, personalized offers, etc.

I usually buy coupon books (like the Entertainment book - is that still around?) but they don't very often offer great grocery discounts at the cheapest stores. Still, find a great sale price, stock up, & it can be worth it at almost any store. One local book called Show & Save several years ago once had a fantastic Superstore coupon in every book - I forget what the discount details were. But it was to the point where it was worth buying the book just for that coupon alone. Might've been $25 off a minimum $75 purchase or something like that.

I'd love to know more about how you do it though LOL.

@CFPartDeux 

What its not made of ice milk anymore? Its always been soft serve.......

@will13am 

Yeah well i live vicariously thru my owner otherwise my help would be limited to the top three rat catching techniques, how to torture shrews, how to hit dingers with an average field mouse and tips on not getting tricked out of your freshly caught wild chicken by your owner.......shes not saving it for you for dinner she lets them go!

Otherwise its a lot meowing although i just did a little caterwauling on the main forum....

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@maximum_gato  Neither one - I'm boycotting DQ 'til the day they go back to real ice cream. 😜

@maximum_gato wrote:

@will13am 

Shes on semi permanent sabbatical.....she chose to let me prowl the community in her place. The cat being let out of the bag and all......

It is hard to tell who is who here.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Re-Why-is-Canada-so-expensive-for-cell-ser...

@will13am 

Shes on semi permanent sabbatical.....she chose to let me prowl the community in her place. The cat being let out of the bag and all......

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@maximum_gato , where is the alter ego, @darlicious?  Witness protection program in effect?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@CFPartDeux 

Its been 45 minutes you still cant decide? Has it been busted up ? Or split? Now remember with one you get a really long skinny spoon and the other you get a vessel (quite literally) that you can make a sailboat out of.......whats it going to be?

CFPartDeux

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@maximum_gato wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

BINGO! .....and now ive mentioned a form of gambling  to further expand the topic field.

Yeah, but it IS the Lounge, and nothing ever receives a reprimand for going off-topic in the Lounge..... oh, wait.....

@CFPartDeux  And you get a banana split or do you prefer the peanut buster parfait? Which ever you prefer its official now.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maximum_gato wrote:

See i told you.....those pics of @AE_Collector not only cemented this thread into the lounge it got split for being off topic! Thats despite it still having the original thread name that really makes the thread make no sense! At least before it naturally wound its way off topic.......if thats the case.....

Yeah that was a puzzler. I'm looking at that in the thread list wondering what the heck. It's just the lounge so I didn't care. But I hardly think a thread in the lounge needs slicing and dicing. Oh well.

@AE_Collector 

Actually i cant be bothered this week....i dont have a printer to print the coupons, im a coca cola girl all the way (pepsi is too sweet and goes flat too quickly.) As much as i love lays im getting my savoury crunch factor from my daily big salad......this week im splurging and spending points on fresh sockeye salmon ($11.99/lb filets unless i find it whole for about $5/lb) and beef tenderloin ($8.50/lb).

@Korth 

I just had my third surgery and second revision on my TRHR 5 weeks ago and have at least three more weeks on crutches.....if all looks good between 90 and 180 days ill go back on the list to get the left hip replaced .......trust me parking my rock hopper and purchasing the velec was tough but the fact i can get out of my house and almost be normal.....for the next 2 years as i rehab , recover and rehab and recover again makes all the difference. If i happen to break my femur (and titanium implant) pedalling up hill like i did last fall at least now i have a throttle to get home.....a lot less tears and muffled screams.....oh and my implant is ceramic now.

Chips I understand. Pepsi I understand.

But "e-bike"?

That sounds like a really lazy thing, lol. Have all the junkfood you like if you actually hit the pedals to burn it off.

Chips should be no problem, Pepsi might be though. Get some mentos too as they can be added to the Pepsi to get you up hills!

@AE_Collector 

Charge the e-bike..........! This week its lay's chips and packs of pepsi......

@maximum_gato wrote:

Mind you hauling it all home on the ebike must have been a quite the sight for others to enjoy!

Minus the VW Beatle!878ED587-CFFD-46A4-9F7B-6F7DCD2AA345.jpeg

CFPartDeux

@maximum_gato wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Yes but points math along with toilet paper math and vodka math

There's your problem right there - you have to do all those different kinds of math, just to keep yourself stocked up on PC points, toilet paper and vodka! 😜 🤣

@CFPartDeux 

Yes but points math along with toilet paper math and vodka math helps prevent those senior moments from happening in middle age......and the point (lol....intended) being i just got $125 worth of groceries for free! Mind you hauling it all home on the ebike must have been a quite the sight for others to enjoy!

CFPartDeux

@bluejaywpg  SEE, just like I said...... surely your brain must be hurting right about now. 😉 🤣

@bluejaywpg 

Lol......10×$5 kelloggs FS cereal=$50-$10×$1 coupons=$40-$20(20k pc optimum points recieved) =$20-$25 cash cards( buy 2 boxes cereal=$5 visa prepaid card) =(-$5)+10 boxes of cereal free!

PC optimum points math it takes some figuring.....but you were wondering how to live on $50/day.

After free cereal for breakfast im having free grilled cheese and oven chips for lunch....

20×kraft slices×$2.47=$49.40-$20(20×$1 coupon)=$29.40-$30(30k pc points 1.5k each pkg×20) =(-$ 0.30) +20×410gr pkgs of kraft slices to go with 10×650gr cavendish oven chips....all free!

Oven chips had two offers at RCSS 1000pts + 2000pts=3k×10=30k($30)-(10×$2.47)=$24.70= (-$5.30)  With the extra $10.60 at RCSS i can buy 4 loaves of bread for $5 and 4l milk for $5.30.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Who's getting better cell phone data prices than Canada? Almost every countries

Canada ranked 209 out of 228 countries.

India is paying 9 cents per GB data.  That’s like getting a 99.3-per-cent discount off the Canadian price.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/national/whos-getting-better-cell-phone-data-prices-than-canada-almos...

bluejaywpg

@maximum_gato I'm trying to figure out if you are simply noting the $5 prepaid card you sig ed up for, or if you're saying you also got the cereal for free!

@bluejaywpg 

Theres a lot of math involved......like last night. No frills paid me $5 to unstock their shelves and bring 10 boxes of kelloggs family size cereal home. Not that i need anymore cereal but i can pay a vist to the food bank and drop them off there......

bluejaywpg

I wish I could live on $50 per day, never mind take a trip LOL. 

bluejaywpg

@maximum_gato I have a really old RBC account that doesn't charge me much for fees. $0 monthly, unlimited deposits, & 1 free withdrawal or bill payment I believe, then anything else is fee per service. I keep the account so I can access services that the bank might not Otherwise, I do the rest of my banking at Simplii so I'm not worrying about throwing away bags of money for fees.

RBC has not been able to match CIBC for my mortgage rates. Though I didn't shop around on the last renewal & I wish I did, but I was too busy in general. Next time I intend on doing so.

@CFPartDeux @AE_Collector 

Lol.....lets go europe has nothing on me! As shown europe on $50/day isnt just for students... 20180410_115516.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.