cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on Saving Money during Covid-19

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Hey Everyone I been looking at my expenses and been trying really hard to cut down on many. I have a weekly MAX budget of $100 for food for two people. I talked with my landlord and we settled on an agreement that works for both of us $1,300 all inclusive (in a tiny town so actually expensive) as there’s no cable that can be connected at this place Netflix is basically a nessctsry but I did cut down from the most expensive Netflix to one where you can only have 2 devices on at the same time and HD. I also fill up the gas tank of my vehicle the least amount of times so I wait until it’s the cheapest time and then I fill up to full so I don’t haft to go more then I haft to. I also reduced my phone plan from $50 to $40 ($36 with my rewards) and even though it’s not much I been trying hard to cut back as much as possible. Are there any other tips you guys have that you been doing that I haven’t already mentioned? Thanks for the help in advance guys appreciate the PM family
20 REPLIES 20

@brettster99 

There's nothing wrong with quoting one of the greatest hockey players ever....and fellow canadian Wayne Gretzky!

brettster99

@rhbcc 

I do not have a car but my mother does (as I live with her) she just switched her address and the insurance company actually owes her money after changing it. Also since we live in a Small Town we need the vehicle to drive and get groceries. 

@Luddite 

I have seen text now and they are still offering ad-free service for the next 3 months (As I asked them a few days ago) but it is not really worth it when you need wifi and I need the cellar connection. I also highly doubt that PM would do anything for me as they already offer some the cheapest plans and its own by Telus. I mean it is worth a shot to see and pardon me to use a sport's reference but you miss 100% of the shots you never take so. 

Anyway thanks for the suggestions 

@brettster99 May have missed this idea, but perhaps suspend PM service and use TextNow app on wifi for calling/texting. Just remember to reactivate before 90 days. You could also use the wifi TextNow calling in combo with the $15 plan for travel.

If you are really stuck and must have cell service, contact the moderators and explain your situation here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

rhbcc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

youd be surrprised by the amoutn of money youd save just by not eating out...

another way is if you already are WFH and you have a car - try cancelling the insurance , check with your autoplan broker first and you could save a hundred if not thousands more. or like what someone mentioned above you can change from work to pleasure (depends how far your work is from your house though)

brettster99

@Naepalm 

Wow. I’m definitely interested in what you haft to say. Just watched the whole video. 9 about to be 10 kids? You are definitely know how to budget well

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@brettster99 

im starting a youtube segment on this topic

https://youtu.be/RdM92WGx3SI

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@brettster99 a good way to.save on streaming service is to pair up with a friend or 4. Make sure you can trust them. You can bring that Netflix payment down to 4.00 a month. 

brettster99

@yanzhiqiang 

Funny thing is I never went to bars or party anyway so that does not really affect me anyway. As for not going out to restaurants that is true

yanzhiqiang

We are already saving money because no eating out, no bars, no party.....

@brettster99 

The next time you get a chance to really talk to your mom's advocate have a good talk about the legislation in Ontario. It may be better if your treated as an adult separate from your mom because almost sounds like they are lumping you two together as a family unit which can be monetarily  disadvantageous. I'm going to take some time to read the legislation and how it pertains to your situation... seeing as your rent is over and above the allowable amounts paid by OW there may be rent subsidies you might qualify for....im going to do some reading for you and see what I can pry out the legalise

brettster99

@darlicious 

Alright that is cool. Just wondering how you know that? You probably have one or a person you know having one. I just can’t seem to find anything online about it. Is it free dinner? Or even just cheaper dinner like how CAA has 10% restaurants (specific ones) 

The only thing the worker did was always putting the money on hold because I was working and wanted to MAKE SURE it wasn’t over the $200 limit before clawbacks which I know they gotta do. But even when I told the worker I didn’t work and shared a bank statement she asked for a paystub. I had to go on to tell her a couple more times and show another bank statement ( same one as before) before she took the hold off.

She never told us about anything and had to do it ourselves and only after we been denied twice (which I know basically they most likely deny everyone first application) and talked to her said when you go to the tribunal there be legal representative to discuss options.

She never mentioned about going to the legal clinic or nothing and this was in Ottawa. The worker here said to go to the local community legal clinic to try and help out. 

@brettster99 

The fishing license would be to get dinner.....not sure if you get one free if you're PWD in Ontario but it's just another way of saving money and having fun doing it.

It's in the ministry's best interest to deny your mom....that worker knew exactly what they were doing. Stay strong....for your mom and listen to her advocate.

Check out any university research studies you can do....they may have an honorium or gift card draw for your participation. For your mom too...many studies especially now need the older demographic.

brettster99

@darlicious 

Yeah it's been one heck of a ride. Been waiting 2 plus years and a couple denials (because our first case worker did not know what to do) Now we have an advocate from the local community legal clinic and is hoping to get approved without having to go to the tribunal. 

I just want to ask about the fishing license? Is there any benefit in getting it that I am not aware of that would be very beneficial or is it to help make some money?

@brettster99   Relying on provincial government income supports can be tough and with a new conservative premier doesn't make it any easier but at least there are some allowances for earning additional income/employment replacement funds you can keep with a claw back.

It's important to remember when applying for ODSP their are time limits on both ends....more importantly ones the ministry must comply with but make sure you do not submit the application for PWD designation WITHOUT AN ADVOCATE for your mom. If you cannot find one private message me and I will speak with mine to find you one in your area (probably belleville). Discretionary emergency funds are available through your support worker more often than every 6 months, medical, health and dietary supplement funds are more readily available so there are extra stipends for such things as diabetic, celiac (gluten), lactose intolerant etc...or food/cleaning supplies extra funds. Look for crisis grants for hydro, gas (utilities) on company websites. Look into getting a fishing license ($35), check the salvation army, food bank and other community resources for charitable organizations that offer assistance to low income families.

brettster99

I live with my mother who is on OW and trying to get on ODSP. I'm getting the CERB so we both are combing our money (Her's for the rent) and the $79 extra dollars toward groceries. All my money is paying for the rest of the month's groceries and other essential items

brettster99

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, this is the cheapest place where I live as there is a very high demand but being in a small town very little supply so I can not really do anything about that. As for the cheaper phone plan, I will be making sure next month If I have not used my data to drop the price even further  

brettster99

Hey 

Yeah I probably forgot a few important details. I live in Ontario and the Closest "City" would be Belleville Ontario and that is probably a half-hour drive away. I am looking into all the suggestions you have made and I appreciate the time it took you to type all of this.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Buying your groceries in bulk by combining purchasing them with family and friends could save some money on your grocery bill.

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your rent seems high (as you mentioned), you could save a lot by renting a more reasonable priced place.

You could also maybe reduce your phone plan to an even cheaper one.  I find I'm not using much data at all since I'm home on wifi all the time.  Maybe go to the $25 plan?  It seems like money for food is probably more important than phone data!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@brettster99 

It would be a little easier for some suggestions if I knew what province you live in and/or the larger centre you drive to for larger shopping trips. Joining online rebate sites like rakuten and GCR can incrementally save you money on any online purchases (a lot more lately), you can also join various survey sites like lifepoints to redeem for gift cards. You can also look on Craigslist for university research studies that may pay a small honorium or gift card draw (students are struggling to find participants for their studies atm.) Join the pc optimum program and learn how to earn/spend/earn ....this can be very lucrative once you catch on (RFD has lots of info on it and other ways to save $$). Theres quite a few coupon sites online or promo code sites like honey.

You can change your car insurance from "work" to "leisure", check out provincial government sites for rebate programs on rent, hydro etc...if your income has dropped considerably you may be able to qualify for reduced medical premiums and pharmacare. Check if you can reduce your banking fees or consider koho that has no fees or tangerine that has no fees and offers a $200 cash incentive to join.

Really start to meal plan so one protein stretches into two or three meals. You can take 2 lbs of ground beef and set aside two patties for burgers (today/tomorrow or shape them, season and freeze.) Brown the remaining beef and season and set aside half a cup or so and freeze this can be used as a topping for nachos or pizza. Use the browned beef to make Bolognese sauce (add sauteed onions, garlic, celery, mushrooms, zucchini, red and/or green peppers,  Use this for pasta and You can freeze for future use or you can add a can of kidney or black beans, chili powder etc...  and turn it into chili. Add some frozen or a can of corn to stretch it even farther.

Hope this helps save some money.....if you need recipe ideas just ask!

Need Help? Let's chat.