cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Air Frying Thread

It's been super slow on the Community tonight, so I thought that since people have been going out to eat a lot less during recent months but eating and cooking at home more instead, I'd start a thread on my most recent obssession: air frying. 

I'll admit that food such as fries a battered chicken are still going to come out better in a deep fryer, but I'd rather not have my food soaked in extra fat.  So, if in air fryer is able to do half as good of a job "frying" (actually baking) fried foods, I'm okay with that.

My advice would be that if you have the counter space, pay the extra bit of money for the larger sized air fryer.   You'll thank yourself for that later because unless you live by yourself, you might otherwise find that you need to cook in batches and that either one person has to wait to start eating, or you have to wait for second round to get the rest of your meal.

I've never been big on proper cooking and I've probably always relied far too much on processed foods. An air fryer is convenient because it allows you to easily cook your meal and when the timer runs out, it automatically shuts off. That ends up being great in the sense that you can go do something else while your meal is cooking. One of my favourites is air fried chicken legs. I'll usually just put some ketchup or bbq sauce on it and in about 30 minutes, it's ready.   

One pet peeve is about how poorly some of these devices are contructed. I've heard of some models leaking hot steam from the front of the unit causing a burn hazard. The basket release saftety lock is also often a cheap piece of plastic, and I wouldn't expect the non-stick coating on most of these to last more than a few months.  There has to be some good models out there though.

I really have no idea why I posted this message, other than that I was bored. I would imagine that some members have some good air frying recipes.

80 REPLIES 80

@will13am wrote:

@JoyLuck wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Luddite   I have to agree with @TessieBoo , those old pressure cookers were quite scary and I've read a few horror stories about them.  I've never used one until the Instant Pot came along but firmly believe somethings should be retired! 😊

Even with the Instant Pot, I shake the pot before I open the lid in case there is steam still trapped below in a thick recipe. The steam on top of the recipe will release causing the pin to drop to signal that it is safe to open, but in actual fact it is not. 

The release pin works on gravity.  I have never know gravity to fail.  Once the pressure is release, I would think shaking the pot could be dangerous as liquid could leak out without the benefit of the pressure seal on the lid.  

Shaking could only cause a mess, especially if the pot is very full. If the concern is the pressure not all being released yet,  I would wait a few minutes after venting the pressue. Your food will still be hot. 

@JoyLuck wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Luddite   I have to agree with @TessieBoo , those old pressure cookers were quite scary and I've read a few horror stories about them.  I've never used one until the Instant Pot came along but firmly believe somethings should be retired! 😊

Even with the Instant Pot, I shake the pot before I open the lid in case there is steam still trapped below in a thick recipe. The steam on top of the recipe will release causing the pin to drop to signal that it is safe to open, but in actual fact it is not. 

The release pin works on gravity.  I have never know gravity to fail.  Once the pressure is release, I would think shaking the pot could be dangerous as liquid could leak out without the benefit of the pressure seal on the lid.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

On special clearance from london drugs. Additional 10% off in cart. Lots of deals still to be had so add a couple items to get over $75 for free shipping. Gst only if shipped to a province that does not have a london drugs location.     $69.99-$6.99=$63+tax

https://www.londondrugs.com/bella-air-fryer---4.6q/L1138697.html?cgid=hidden-invclearance-10

Been waiting for this to arrive from Costco. Was on sale around Black Friday for $70 or $80 off making it $99.99. December 8 came and went!

F0D34CF2-03B1-4CFE-8E71-B472ADA3FC3D.jpegD9838E05-C24F-4576-BAC5-D94C54048D4F.jpeg

@dabr wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Luddite You need a new pressure cooker with a timer and preprogrammed modes.

@computergeek541  Should I get a new phone too?

telecommunications-tin_can_telephone-tin_can_telephone-tin_can_phone-tin_can_phone-text-lhan246_low.jpg

Your current phone isn't providing a digital signal. That means that the conversation could possibly be intercepted by others.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@computergeek541  Should I get a new phone too?

telecommunications-tin_can_telephone-tin_can_telephone-tin_can_phone-tin_can_phone-text-lhan246_low.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

TessieBoo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 

Unfortunately, I don’t have a gas stove.  Would love one, but can’t afford all that would have to be done to install a gas stove.  Yes, the old pressure cooker will be either donated to a thrift shop, or put at the curb.  I’m slowly trying to downsize, and a lot of this type of “old” stuff is going to be going elsewhere.

@TessieBoo 

If you have a gas stove, keep a few pots and pans in cases of power failures.  Otherwise, give it away or put the old pressure cooker on the curb. Somebody would take it for the metal.

TessieBoo

My mom has one or two of those old-style pressure cookers.  Although she hasn’t used it in years, I remember the days when she did.  Always scared the dickens outa me!  But, I do have 2 electric ones - 1 @ my trailer - a Crockpot Multi Express, and 1 @ home - an Instant Pot.....I really couldn’t live without one now.  I also have an old-style one but have never used it because I’m afraid of it......must give that thing away, or dump it!

@Luddite 

I have one of those.....buried in the back of the cupboard for making blueberry grunt once every 10 years. I have no real need for extraneous plug in kitchen appliances. Despite having a large kitchen with an addition the only counter space i have is the the approximately 2 1/2 feet on either side of my kitchen sink. The kettle and my 6 cup rice cooker get some of the precious real estate on the non dish rack side.

Mom's "insta-pot"; aka the pressure cooker. Everything old is new again with good marketing. 🤔

4480936dae9679210c1ea688ab78cad7.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@darlicious 

If I didn't already have an air fryer, I probably would have got the 6qt Instant Pot with air frying lid. I couldn't justify the extra $60 and also letting my current 3.8qt air fryer going to waste for the few times that I wanted to air fry a whole bird.  Instead, I ended up getting the 8qt 6-in1 Instsnt Pot for $70.

Instapot duo air-fryer/pressure cooker $129.88 (save $100) for walmarts black friday sale......for anyone interested in trying it out......

@will13am wrote:

The term air fryer has become so ubiquitous that even toaster ovens purport to have air fryer capability. I suppose all it takes is a slight adaptation of the design to incorporate a big fan on the top to push hot air onto the food at high flow rates. 

I've seen them, and I'm sure they work fine. Those ovens that have air frying abilities often have large capacities around 16 quarts. Do they cook as fast? I'm not sure. There are other ways to cook baked/fried foods including a conventional oven. I think that there comes a point when the appliance is bigger than a certain size, it ends up being less convenient to use. I see the idea of having an air fryer as being able to use this method for foods that would normally be fried, but for the device to small enough it's generally not in your way or takes up a lot of space.

jieying_kk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the regular instant pot and instant pot vortex oven for air frying.

I even toast the bread in that oven. I only need these 2 devices to cook at the same time for my dinner!

It is easy to cook with both appliances with all the recipes online and can't go too wrong with it.

I am somebody too klutz with cooking.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The term air fryer has become so ubiquitous that even toaster ovens purport to have air fryer capability. I suppose all it takes is a slight adaptation of the design to incorporate a big fan on the top to push hot air onto the food at high flow rates. 

@dabr wrote:

@JoyLuck wrote:

@jieying_kk wrote:

I have the instant pot vortex plus air frying oven. It is amazing for this past year. I don't think I can survive without it and all the cooking is slashed by half!!

I have the Instant Pot too. Bought it last Christmas. Makes amazing stews and soups. Pork ribs too! It's the magic pot.

@JoyLuck   Does yours airfry too?   I'm thinking the Vortex is a different model from the regular Instant Pot and it does interesting for airfrying foods.

Ahhhhh......thanks @dabr .  I did not know there  was a difference. I just googled Vortex. That looks amazing. I only have the regular instant pot.

@JoyLuck wrote:

@jieying_kk wrote:

I have the instant pot vortex plus air frying oven. It is amazing for this past year. I don't think I can survive without it and all the cooking is slashed by half!!

I have the Instant Pot too. Bought it last Christmas. Makes amazing stews and soups. Pork ribs too! It's the magic pot.

@JoyLuck   Does yours airfry too?   I'm thinking the Vortex is a different model from the regular Instant Pot and it does look interesting for airfrying foods.

@jieying_kk wrote:

jieying_kk

TessieBoo

ecowan

Lately, all I’ve been doing is fries.  But, I have done onion rings, egg rolls, chicken and baked potatoes.  When doing the chicken, I line the pot with foil, put the chicken in and fold down the foil, and put the potatoes on top.  

ecowen

TessieBoo,  what are your favourite things to "fry" in the air fryer?  So far, chips of course, but we really liked  how the Beyond Meat Burgers got nice and crispy on the outside.  Carrots are excellent as well.

TessieBoo

Great deal!

TessieBoo

Me too!  I have 2 - one at the trailer, and one at home.  I use mine all the time.  

Jedi180

I love my Air Fryer! 

ecowen

Thank you, Joy Luck.  I bought one for myself and 1 for each of my children for Christmas.  I love it.  Perfect for 2. Does great fries and sweet potato fries.  Tonight, I 'm trying Beyond Meat Burgers.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

On sale at Costco 3.8L. (Best to call before you go)

ninja.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.