cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus changes with Koodo Prepaid and Public Mobile in June

killer23d
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I will update as I get more info.. or mods here can share/update.

TL;DR: Telus will be launching Koodo Prepaid in June. It will not affect existing PM customers and Public Mobile will be online offering only. Brick-and-Mortar store will offer only Koodo Prepaid.

Telus will be revamping (they call it "launching") Koodo Prepaid in June to make itself more competitive to Public Mobile. I received an update from my rep that Public Mobile will be online only and all materials to be removed from store by early July.

There will be no changes to existing PM customers and those of us on PM will remain as PM customers. 

Koodo Prepaid offers the following features:

- 3G plans match PM such as US/Canada calling

- In store support

- Call Center

- US roaming

- Easy migration from Pre to Post

- 4G/LTE option

25 REPLIES 25

killer23d

There are customer service for PM, just not for end-user. The rep has access to live chat or dedicated phone line that can help them with various aspects such as customer inquiry.

I am not sure about others, the only time I need to find CS is: billing error, ask for discounts.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Previous to joining Public Mobile we have been trained to purchase a higher data plan than necessary in order to avoid outrageous overage charges that most providers charge at $130/1gb. So most customers logically choose to pay $10 to $20 more per month to avoid possible overage rates. Public mobile offers true peace of mind as overage rates can never happen.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Just had a nice chat with a bored rep in a Wow Mobile kiosk. They will stop doing Public activations on June 13th.

He definitely talked down the service aspect that customers perceive. Not having a person to talk to live is a big drawback. But that also might have been his own feeling.

It's a lot like paying the big bucks for a ton of data month in month out when one rarely uses it very much but one sure likes knowing it's there. That peace of mind to spend all that money for the rare occurrence. Not at all worth it to me but to each their own.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@killer23d 

I noticed that a little while ago when Canadian Cell Supplies started offering their activation bundle for koodo as they fo for pm.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/And-so-it-begins-the-rumours-are-true-abou...

killer23d

Looks like Koodo updated the site to offer the same PM plans + LTE plans:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans

The booster on the other hand is quite steep from $15/1GB to $30/1GB.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

You ar eprobably right.. Slowly doing it in phases, rewards program change was a start. 

killer23d

Me too, it is $10/4GB and the ZTE tablet lower it another $5, plus my employee discount I pay $0. Next year when all these discounts are over, I think I will have to cancel it if they won't let me keep it. I am using the line to park my number, the SIM is in my hotspot.

@killer23 .. talking about exit plan.  i have a $5 Fido data only plan.  Work perfectly with Fongo , Textnow and my Google Voice. 😂

killer23d

That is the sad truth, and in the time of 5G, yet carrier is still advertising throttled "3G" speed to justify the high priced LTE tiers. We are regressing in so many ways, and these guys think we are just golden geese. Since the pie has been divided and saturated, one of the typical textbook example is to add service and increase price. Share plan is the best since it guarantee 2+ lines and $100+ a month of cash.

The carriers are also working with unions and professional groups to offer "corporate plans" that is around $100+ for 2 lines these days with free phones w/ buy-it-back. Because it was believed "corporate plans" are the lowest, and it's so easy to join.. I know a few clients signed up without even looking until they get a bill for not bringing the phones back after 2 years.

Out of all the carriers, historically Fido offers the best perks for going into a contract during promo times.

I already have my exit strategy made, should Telus and Rogers take away or screw around with my employee discounts, I will get a US line and just roam in Canada. I live close enough to the border I can ping the tower once in a while. There are lots of groups in reddit or Facebook are doing just that. People can call me on my US number or Fongo.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@killer23d 

You work in the industry. Have you not seen over the past year competitive plans and promotions disappear? Look at the plan offering as between providers they are practically identical except in Quebec, Saskatchewan, somewhat in the Maritimes and the more competitive pricing previously in the West has pretty much dried up the only innovation and competitive marketing is in unlimited 5G data plans and share plans. 

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

killer23d

to be fair, I don't find Shaw's offering is any more competitive. I went with a smaller TPIA since getting Shaw internet only costs me over $80 without a bundle. I have no opinion of this particular merger. When we are getting screwed already, getting an extra inch doesn't make a difference anymore. 🥲

For those who care.. the other guys just increased their Tab-Mid equivalent from $56 to $60 w/ 10GB. Basically if you want a phone subsidy and 0% 24 months financing, you are paying $60+ a month.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@killer23d 

With the CRTC ignoring the competition bureau's research and objective opinion this is a signal that they have had enough and they are the judicial side with the strong arm of both legislation and criminal justice law behind them. They have been keeping a very close eye on the big three for a long while.....

https://www.canada.ca/en/competition-bureau/news/2022/05/competition-bureau-seeks-full-block-of-roge...

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

killer23d

Didn't the merger specifically separate the wireless and the cable business? I read somewhere that if the merger does happen, Rogers will not absorb the wireless business.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@killer23d 

Mr. Entwistle has been seeking double digit profits for his shareholders so this is his plan? Koodo is unscrupulous as he is.....I would recommend fido over koodo and that's saying something.....the Competition Bureau is siding with Canadians when it comes to the Rogers merger. This could come back to be a bigger bite out of Darren's backside than fido' s bark!

killer23d

That's why I am not quite understand the direction and will get more clarifications before July. If they are determined to remove all PM materials by July, they must have another marketing plan ahead. It could be online only which it's beyond my pay grade to find out since I will not have access.

I guess from that point on, activating PM will require you to buy a SIM online, wait for it to come then activate. This means it will shut visitors out as visitors makes up a large group of my activations.

When getting PM service takes day... would you go somewhere else?

@Luddite wrote:

I read as all new activations will only be online. 

I guess if that is the case, maybe it is not too bad.  Then that will likely mean only tech savvy people will join Public Mobile.  That could eliminate the confusion about where to get "Live support" or upset about the lack of it

but yes, with 100% online, no visible store (or at least signs in Koodo stores) for promotion, it will be just less and less people aware there is such brand.  I don't see how PM would be a better choice over the other 2 brands (Lucky and Chatr).  So, Telus would be keeping PM for the needs (compliance) and not really for the market share.   Sad day for PM

@softech  "So, PM will exists with current customer and no more new activation?"

I read as all new activations will only be online. This was the original PM concept. In fact, at one point someone requesting a SIM was required to tick: "I understand PM services are only online". 

I guess new customers will be almost 100% referrals.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

And how about the whole Tier 3 things?  Telus does not run PM because it wants it, it just a response to Rogers and Bell's Tier 3 services.  So, if Lucky and Chatr and running as is, I don't see and understand why they would kill PM (by stopping new activation here, all new activation going to Koodo Prepaid).

Don't tell me Koodo Prepaid will be Tier 3.  Fido has Prepaid  and Virgin has it too. So, Koodo Prepaid alone cannot be the one on both battlefields.

@killer23d wrote:

I might be wrong because the theme they used is "Goodbye" in the call. I hope I will get some clarification later on, it sounds like Telus is replacing PM with Koodo Prepaid. While they said they are keeping PM online only, it does seems like they are keeping the PM service online only and all new activation will be directed to Koodo Prepaid.

@killer23d 

So, PM will exists with current customer and no more new activation? Um... if that is the case, it won't last long

But I am a bit surprise, they renovated Community site, introduced the new Rewards system, and just couple months and they are folding PM? 

killer23d

I might be wrong because the theme they used is "Goodbye" in the call. I hope I will get some clarification later on, it sounds like Telus is replacing PM with Koodo Prepaid. While they said they are keeping PM online only, it does seems like they are keeping the PM service online only and all new activation will be directed to Koodo Prepaid.

It's easy to move people, just look at the feedback on the 30% increase to the $10 plan. All it takes is a price adjustment in PM and offer a little incentive at Koodo will be the perfect formula to move people over. Even if they offer free service for a month, I bet many will bite.

@killer23d   I agree probably they want to swing new prepaid activation to Koodo.  Existing customers will drop out eventually, maybe because they are upset at the lack of live support, maybe the grass is greener elsewhere.   Eventually when the user base will drop below a number they target, they can then close PM without worry

killer23d

I am a part time in a multi-carriers store.

This news comes straight from my rep during a conference call, it makes no sense to be retailer exclusive. I suspect all Telus resellers will lose access to PM system by July.

It will be more $ I suspect with eSim/LTE/VoLTE/Wifi-Calling etc, which cost nothing to Telus 🤷‍♂️ to offer it. It is done to segregate the clientele in order to upsell.

Like I said, I don't have anything else until I go through all the materials in the coming weeks.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @killer23d   

Interesting info.  Thanks for sharing.  At least we are all safe here with our rewards  🙂

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@killer23d   So, you work in a Koodo store?

Do you know if other stores , like Walmart, will be offering in store activation?  Is it just removing materials in Koodo store or everywhere?

For Koodo prepaid, 4G/LTE will be more $$$?

killer23d

IMO...

Seriously, Telus just created another artificial competitor for those who doesn't know the industry. I don't want to speculate, but this really makes PM the unwanted child in the family when they want all the materials removed from physical stores.

Koodo Prepaid sucks since day 1 as they are not competitive like Fido Prepaid. Now they just take the wishlist of what PM customers want and give it a name. 🤣 and then those who really want the new offering can surrender every good things they have and start all over at a higher price tier.

Good job Telus!! Even I own a lot of your shares but I am so disappointed in you.

Need Help? Let's chat.