cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card

Jasondimera
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I accidentally stuck my sim tray closed with epoxy resin and now my phone is basically plastic and it’s broken now so I can’t open the sim tray or use my phone at all. How do I get the resin to go back to liquid? 

19 REPLIES 19

@Jasondimera 

I think the greyed out thingy has to do with doing an update via iTunes when you change providers.....

Jasondimera

I got back into my self serve!!!! 
thank you to everyone for your help and for all the support, and the compliments on my hair! Yes I grew it myself, thanks. 

I’m still not into my iCloud yet but that’s gonna be easier now that I am in here! 

Jasondimera

The part about possibly being locked is just a guess so far.  
It just did nothing. When I went to settings then down to phone it was greyed out and said no sim. 

I was guessing that it comes locked but they will unlock it if asked too???
I’m also looking for an app that would let me input my own phone number without having to confirm it with a code. Doubt that’s gonna be a real thing. 

Jasondimera

I recommend the 12 pro even though it costs more than I would like, it is something I spend every day doing. I use it more hours a day than a car or my bed. The features are great too. Fastest phone I’ve ever had. The LiDAR was the selling feature for me and it did not disappoint.  
And you are so right about parts and apple care is important. I am covered now.  
The X was not covered. It was the most expensive iPhone screen to replace ever. That’s why I did the resin on the back glass when it broke. I wish I would have removed the sim first. Other than that there was no issues with the resin. 

Still a ridiculously expensive device.

OEM parts are so pricey that it actually costs less to pay the premium for "AppleCare+" warranty then pay Apple to do the repair in house - even with Apple's ripoff prices for basic services, and their deductible clauses, their exceptions, their limitations, their penalties.

Non-OEM parts are not (yet) available for this device, repair shops and DIY just can't service this device at lower cost.

https://www.consumerreports.org/extended-warranties/should-you-buy-applecare-plus-for-your-iphone/

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPhone_12_Pro

@Jasondimera 

Another chapter for "When simple repairs go bad....."

What message do you get in your iPhone 12 when you put the sim card in it? No phone in Canada is supposed to be locked to a carrier since more than 3 years ago ( Dec. 2017). 

Jasondimera

Well I tried heating the resin and that didn’t work. I tried heating a pin first and sticking it into the sim tray and then when that didn’t work I torched the whole area with a torch lighter. 
still nothing. 
So I took apart my iPhone X. 
it was very easy to get the broken screen off and the tray was still stuck! I couldn’t get it loose at all so I ripped open the inside top off the sim tray compartment and pulled it out that way. 
now guess what!?!?

I put the sim into my iPhone 12 Pro and would you believe it, it didn’t work! 
the saga continues....

I think my new phone is just locked to a different company but I’m going to call and have them unlock it. 

0969AD15-ECD5-40B1-85DF-F0E64336E0DB.jpeg

@Jasondimera 

I have to say this has been entertaining and riveting. I can't wait to find out how it turns out.

@Jasondimera  Heating not a good idea as epoxy once cured doesn't really melt. Couple ideas:

Good luck. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Jasondimera  Access your iCloud account: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251627201

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jasondimera

I know. That’s why I posted 2 separate questions. I don’t know how they got merged. 

Jasondimera

I had broke the back glass on my phone so I put a layer of resin over top of the broken glass. It actually worked out great! Smooth plastic like finish. I just think that some must have got on my friends hand and then into the opening hole in the tray.
I never realized that someone could potentially think of opening my sim tray. 
wasn’t paranoid but am a little uneasy now. 
thanks for the advice. I will do that going forward. 

How does one "accidentally" place a permanent adhesive seal on a SIM compartment?

It's enough to just scrub the printed number off the SIM card, put an access PIN code onto it, and use the phone's built-in software security features, lol, especially since the cheap nvflash on SIM cards can die sooner than the expensive devices they're plugged into.

If you're paranoid then the first and best (only) way to truly prevent people from hacking into your tech is to completely deny them any physical access. SIM card readers/writers only cost $8 on amazon. Don't let other people use your phone or do anything with your phone out of your sight.

Jasondimera

I didn’t but I will now! Thanks! 
yes if that doesn’t work I will have to take it apart. 

@Jasondimera wrote:

how do I transfer my number to another sim without being able to get into my iCloud for my account password?

iCloud isn't related to changing to a different SIM card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be the Re-liquifying Resin forum. Not here. 🙂

@Jasondimera wrote:

I accidentally stuck my sim tray closed with epoxy resin and now my phone is basically plastic and it’s broken now so I can’t open the sim tray or use my phone at all. How do I get the resin to go back to liquid? 

If you're glued the SIM card tray shut, you might have no choice but to break the tray to remove it. You may also need to dismantle your phone to get your SIM card out. I'm assuming that you're tried heating the adhesive?

Jasondimera

I hate two factor

how do I remove it from my iCloud?

Jasondimera

how do I transfer my number to another sim without being able to get into my iCloud for my account password?

Need Help? Let's chat.