cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Mayor / Maire

Rogers $15 retention offer thwarting my referral to PM πŸ€”

So I have a friend with Rogers that I've been "courting" for a while to switch to Public Mobile once his contract is up sometime in Nov or Oct. So he called Rogers today to check what the actual contract end date is in preparation for switching.

Well, they offered him a plan that he can switch to at contract end - effectively $15/mo for unlimited Canada wide calling, and 2GB/mo of data.

Well... Pretty hard to compete with that. sure rogers charges $15 + $1 911 fee + tax, and PM would be $13+tax out the door with the $15 plan - but only 250MB data... I guess he might as well just stay with Rogers at that point!

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Rogers $15 retention offer thwarting my referral to PM πŸ€”

@Nezgar Carriers are stepping up their game. Public is way behind.

The 15$ plan they are offering destroys PM's. Even with my rewards. 

Hes better off with Rogers. He can come to PM if there's a better deal. 

Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar    Well you can hardly blame him for not wanting to move over here if Rogers have have given him that kind of a deal, definitely worth it even with the extra 911 fees (which should be illegal IMO).

Mayor / Maire

The lowest-cost plan I could see on the Rogers website is $25 for 50 Canada-Wide minutes, 100 Texts, 100MB Data. Or $25 for 150 Canada-Wide minutes, 50 Texts, no Data.

Although they do have variations of "Add Another Line" (for $10 to $20) onto existing plans, allowing you to "split" things across different phone numbers. Their offerings seem to be very convoluted, especially since they sell so many things which aren't listed on their main site.

I suspect that if Rogers is offering your friend this $15 2GB plan then there must be "hidden" costs or they must be making money off him somewhere else. What they're offering him would place it somewhere around the $35 per month mark in relation to their other plans.

Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

Indeed his offer is a "retention" offer not advertized on the site, only meant to keep customers from leaving to keep their subscriber counts up, and nothing to do with publicly published plans. One wouldn't be able to sign up with Rogers and get that plan.

I don't think the end cost would be much over $16+tax as previously stated because of this. Currently he's on a single line with Rogers.

Mayor / Maire

Retention offers are bribes intended to keep customers from leaving. Some people might get awesome offers, others might get nothing better than what's already being advertised.

But Rogers is a business, not a charity. They will pay out small costs and losses to retain large revenue stream. Or even to deny that revenue to competitors. They won't take an ongoing loss (or lack of profit) for no reason. Rogers collections and retention departments have had a notorious reputation for many years.

I'm guessing they can offer your friend cheap phone because they already make money off him in other ways. Or what they're offering has costs he's not yet aware exist. Or he might misunderstand what they've offered, or he might be misleading you (because not interested in Public Mobile or because hoping for a better offer).

But if he can get a $15 2GB plan with no strings attached then he'd be dumb not to take it.

Mayor / Maire

I wanted to give Telus every opportunity to "retain" me a couple years ago. They didn't move enough to stay with the mothership. Then I was liking Koodo for the base cost plus add-ons. Then I discovered this place. No turning back. But I'm still in the Telus fold. πŸ™‚

I'm a westerner. It's Telus.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hard not to turn down that offer @Nezgar. Was that a 2year contract?  

Mayor / Maire

@dude65 

No contract, so no new phone for that offer. I believe he also said it would only be good for a year, but he could call back near the end to get them to extend it. Which also implies it's done as a credit on a higher priced plan...

Town Hero / HΓ©ro de la Ville

@Nezgar wrote:

@dude65 

No contract, so no new phone for that offer. I believe he also said it would only be good for a year, but he could call back near the end to get them to extend it. Which also implies it's done as a credit on a higher priced plan...

@Nezgar no contract? then your friend hit the jackpot.  But sorry you did not get your referral.  Cheers!

Need Help? Let's chat.