cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding plan comparison with different provider

Sweetl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Lucky mobile 15 dollar plan same feature like public wrong things no incoming free minutes used for that so public mobile is good

lets see public mobile and freedom

freedom is better unlimited talk and text in 15 dollar but poor reception 

19 REPLIES 19

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jimbobs wrote:

In my case, what that actually means, is that in ~half the rooms at home, my connection to PM will simply go buh-bye, and if I move to the next room, it comes back. In the room I'm in right now, it can be connected, but sometimes if I move the phone a matter of 6" from where it often sits, it can lose the connection. Sometimes,

Sounds like a marginal Bell/Telus signal at best.  Consulting a cell tower location website might cast more light on your situation. http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Been there, done that..... if you re-read my previous post, 4 posts above yours..... specifically the last sentence, in green, you'll see what I'm talking about. To better illustrate, here's a pic I posted quite a while ago, after using that cell tower map, and checking out the local area on Google street view - that tower right by the road, is the Rogers tower, and the Telus tower is in the background..... that small distance makes all the difference.

Rogers_Telus_CellTowers.JPG

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In my case, what that actually means, is that in ~half the rooms at home, my connection to PM will simply go buh-bye, and if I move to the next room, it comes back. In the room I'm in right now, it can be connected, but sometimes if I move the phone a matter of 6" from where it often sits, it can lose the connection. Sometimes,

Sounds like a marginal Bell/Telus signal at best.  Consulting a cell tower location website might cast more light on your situation. http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

CFPartDeux

@jimbobs wrote:

the signal on the Rogers network is significantly better than on the Bell/Telus network.

What does that actually mean in practice, though?  Does it mean you experience dropped calls or poor signal quality or slow data or something else when using Bell/Telus?

In my case, what that actually means, is that in ~half the rooms at home, my connection to PM will simply go buh-bye, and if I move to the next room, it comes back. In the room I'm in right now, it can be connected, but sometimes if I move the phone a matter of 6" from where it often sits, it can lose the connection. Sometimes, if I'm connected, and I go to send a text, it sits there spinning & spinning 'til I realize the phone must've lost the connection, so I move to the next room and then it sends.

I can't say that I've ever had a call drop out, but I have had times where I can't even make a call, due to the above issue, at which point, again, I move to the next room and make the call.

I don't have that issue with data, because I VERY rarely ever use data at home, but connect to wifi if I need to access the 'net.

Telus+Bell network does have the most "coverage" overall. In terms of total area, total customers, most widespread 3G, most widespread (and most dense) 4G - or so they claim.

But Rogers network does have better "coverage" in some specific areas. And now 5G in certain core urban areas.

Each carrier has different hardware in different places (and different spectrum licenses). The ones with network sharing agreements can offer end-users a wider range of coverage options, even though the ones who don't share might have stronger (or exclusive) control over some areas. If you need to use your mobile device in an area which is only "covered" by one network then your choice is simple - you sign up with them or you don't have working service.

I'm mildly dismayed that the Canadian Cellular Towers Map shows the physical locations of cellular base stations but makes no distinction between large powerful radio towers, typical antenna masts, and streetlamp-mounted "distributed antenna systems" - each of these things provides coverage, but some can cover demand across half a city while others are little better than consumer WiFi routers barely able to cover the needs of a single large household.

"Coverage" has become a rubbery meaningless marketing term. Almost everyone almost everywhere across Canada has "coverage".

The question (of quality, reliability, and performance) is really about whether they're linked to the world through massive antenna arrays and datacenter hardware ... or if they're linked to the world through a wireless shoebox which is only marginally more capable than their own handset. And about how many other customers link to the network through the same hardware at the same time.

Big towerBig towerBig towerBig towerBig network stuffBig network stuff

vs

Puny "tower"Puny "tower"Puny network thingyPuny network thingy

jimbobs

the signal on the Rogers network is significantly better than on the Bell/Telus network.

What does that actually mean in practice, though?  Does it mean you experience dropped calls or poor signal quality or slow data or something else when using Bell/Telus?

CFPartDeux

@kav2001c wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

To be fair we are only comparing Canadian carriers

I think you mis-read the above posts, because that IS what I was talking about as well. If you thought otherwise, I suppose you mistook the word "traveling" for international traveling? 🤔

And the Telus/Bell conglomerate has far more coverage than Rogers

Yes, according to their respective coverage maps......

I have a dual SIM phone and there are a few areas Rogers gets signal that Public does not

And I live in one of those areas, which I mentioned in my previous post.... it's not that Public doesn't get a signal here, but that Rogers' signal is better.

but it seems majority of Telus problems are the real out in middle of forest scenarios

While we don't live "in town", per se, this area is hardly a "middle of forest" scenario..... it's simply a case of the Rogers tower being slightly closer and possibly also delivering a stronger signal.

@CFPartDeux 

To be fair we are only comparing Canadian carriers

And the Telus/Bell conglomerate has far more coverage than Rogers

(Shaw/Freedom is a non entity as signal is generally terrible everywhere)

I have a dual SIM phone and there are a few areas Rogers gets signal that Public does not but it seems majority of Telus problems are the real out in middle of forest scenarios

CFPartDeux

@jimbobs wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

Public Mobile is the best.

Depending on where you live.....

In my experience, PM is the best service across Canada.  When travelling with others, my service has consistently been the most reliable.  When I don't have signal, nobody else does either.  Having said that, I'm sure there are situations where other devices and providers offer better service.

That may be the case, when traveling, which is why I said, "depending on where you live", because where I live, the signal on the Rogers network is significantly better than on the Bell/Telus network.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jimbobs Not in everyone's situation. Some people can get Corporate deals on one of the big 3's plans.

My brother gets a free Phone Plan with real unlimited 4G data for 0$ a month with Bell via his work. Nothing can beat that....

You can also buy a Fido 15$ 4GB data plan and use Voip.Ms For texting and calling. Or you can use Freedom mobile's 99$ plan with Unlimited Talk and Text for the year paired with the Fido data plan. If you have a dual SIM or Esim phone you can make calls with the freedom mobile SIM via WiFi calling using data from the Fido SIM. This ensures perfect service and it bypases Freedoms crappy network. In the end you pay 15$ for the data and about 8$ a month for talk and text witch is 22$ monthly. I dont have a Dual SIM phone so i can't take advantage of that. And Freedom Mobile dosent have a network in my area so they cant offer me a local number. If they did I would have considered switching.

Fidos tablet plan is only available for existing customers but there are ways around that. You can also use Airalo for data or Fongo. I belive Airalo has a 3GB 20$ Data plan.

I'm the end if you can take advantage of one of these it can be better than Public. But for the rest of us that that don't have Freedom Mobile covrage or an ESIM or Dual SIM phone then Public Mobile is a great option, especially considering rewards.

jimbobs

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

In my experience, PM is the best service across Canada.  When travelling with others, my service has consistently been the most reliable.  When I don't have signal, nobody else does either.  Having said that, I'm sure there are situations where other devices and providers offer better service.

CFPartDeux

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

yanzhiqiang

tabi159w

With PM, you automatically get $2 off with Autopay which essentially takes care of the tax. Also, with PM there's a consistent rewards system and ways to save through referrals, this forum, and loyalty.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Sweetl Don't forget about PM's rewards system. In the long term, PM wins.

Sweetl

Freedom 15 dollar unlimited talk text 

or 99 diol at per year same plan

but some area poor reception, signal issues

zblackma

@Sweetl  The closest one to us is Chatr, which is basically the same except you pay to retrieve your voicemail messages. Unless you call from another phone.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Sweetl wrote:

Lucky mobile 15 dollar plan same feature like public wrong things no incoming free minutes used for that so public mobile is good

@Sweetl, I have unmarked your post as the solution.  It is frowned upon to make a statement in the community then add a secondary post to that comment to mark it as a solution.  Your original post doesn't even have a question in it so not sure how there could be a solution.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Sweetl wrote:

You'll find there's lots of ex-Lucky and ex-Freedom mobile customers here. They all say they wonder why it took so long to get here.

Find a PM plan within your budget, that works for you. You'll be glad you came over too.

Sweetl

Public mobile have to beat the freedom Mobile deal 99 dollar one year unlimited talk and text

Need Help? Let's chat.