cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had more 5G connection with the old Koodo LTE plan than the new Public Mobile $34 50GB 5G  US/CAN

BigPandaBear
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had more 5G connection with the old Koodo LTE plan than the new Public Mobile $34 50GB 5G  US/CAN plan?

My phone is a Canadian Google Pixel 7 phone in the same general work/home area for comparison.

I have zero 5G connection past month since I moved my phone from Koodo to Public Mobile.

Actions have been taken to troubleshoot this issue:

Changed physical SIM card (from Amazon.ca) to new eSIM purchased from the PM app.

Performed network reset on mobile phone setting.

Downloaded the newest Carrier update from the Google App Store.

The download speed is not too bad for me to complain but the upload speed is slow.  But I have no 5G connection on a Public Mobile 5G plan, but I had more time with 5G connection before with the old Koodo LTE plan.

You get what you paid for?

I almost gave up and I am ready to move to Bell 100GB plan at the end of the current billing cycle.

Please convince me to stay.

Thank for your help.

10 REPLIES 10

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BigPandaBear - Glad you found out about it contacting CS_Agent! iPhones have a similar keep eSIM when factory reseting the device.

BigPandaBear

This issue has been resolved after Public Mobile technical support agent contacted me to recommend me to perform a factory reset on my Google Pixel 7 phone.

PM support analyst had checked their system logs and found my phone was not negotiate a 5G connection; he said they have seen this similar issue after phone received a new SIM card.

I also learned that the eSIM will remain on the phone even after a factory reset on a Google Pixel Phone.

Thank you for Pubic Mobile Customer Services Agent(s) and the technical support agent helped me for quick response to resolve this technical issue.

I am happy to stay with Public Mobile without any more thought of moving my phone to another carrier to get 5G service.

Thank you.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I moved from Public Mobile to Telus and have the exact same results, even though my Telus plan is 5G+ up to 2Tbps vs 250Mbps at Public Mobile. I've only exceeded 250Mbps a couple of times. Upload speed is going to be slower. Are you connected to 5G or 4G?

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@fixin I had very similar results as your screen shot when I did a speed test at work last week.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BigPandaBear , I am using the same hardware and I find 5G connectivity to be available throughout the parts of the GTA that I frequent.  I would say I have a 5G connection about 80+% of the time.  As for download speed, I generally don't waste time testing.  It is sufficient to say that data speed is not an issue for me even when I have only a 4G/LTE connection.  I would not pay an extra penny to see more of a 5G indication on the notification bar.  

fixin

Yeah, the upload really sucks compared to some other carriers but for me it is fine for how much I am uploading, downloading is the more intensive task.

Download is the "5G" as people suggest but in reality it should be called "5Ge" as 5G evolution meaning that it ain't as good as actual 5G but better than 4G.

Here is a Speedtest I took with the "5G" speed plan.

They are definitely speed capping the upload because at first it goes go about 30 - 50 mbps then goes down to 25 instantly.

And yes... I just took the screenshot but the Speedtest was taken on 5G+ (With iOS 17.4 beta 4) on it. So that is why it is in February.

IMG_7132.PNG

BigPandaBear

>Also, Public Mobile has max speed of 250mbps download and about 25mbps upload.

Similar speeds as you have suggested. Thanks!

fixin

@BigPandaBear - Yeah, I've got nothing other than to submit a ticket with an agent. If anybody suggests SIM provisioning, there won't be a need for that since it is correctly provisioned. But odd that 2 SIM's (eSIM and SIM card) decide no for 5G.

But what speeds are you getting? Legacy Koodo LTE plans can sometimes go up to 300+mbps.

Also, Public Mobile has max speed of 250mbps download and about 25mbps upload.

BigPandaBear

are you sure that you enabled 5G / NR in your settings?

Yes, Yes and YES. Performed network reset on my phone.

fixin

@BigPandaBear - Hmmm. Koodo, TELUS, and Public Mobile are on the same network, are you sure that you enabled 5G / NR in your settings?

Otherwise contact CS_Agent:

⬇️ Click the link for an Agent * ⬇️

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/xYpc_I

If the link above doesn’t work, please go here to create a ticket to CS_Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

* - CS_Agent will typically get back to you within 48 hours. They work 7 days a week from 9 AM to 10 PM EST.  You will be required to login to your Public Mobile Community Account to contact CS_Agent. Once you are finished making the ticket with CS_Agent, please ensure that you monitor for an agent because they may notify you asking for some information via Private Message, in your mailbox by clicking this link here: Messages

Need Help? Let's chat.