cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Persistant text ads

Demas11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello z10user4 .....

Life is excellent in Leduc  🤗 , however, we just celebrated my 20 years of retirement!!

I suppose as an afterthought, I will probably buy Julie a new smartphone, as I DO understand your thoughts on the red numbers. I first started on the 'net around 1980, designed a couple of websites, first using Tables then changed to CSS.

If possible, PM me ....

Have a great life .... I am

Demas11

16 REPLIES 16

@popping 

Lol...fluor used to have many lunches andca huge xmas party at the greek restaurant I worked at on and off for 20 years. I made great tips off of them. There was no rules about not drinking alcohol at lunch at fluor.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Demas11 wrote:

Hello .....

The "White Spot" is no more ..... seems the Covid shut it down a few months ago 😥 .

With regards to retirement .... pushing 86 and have been repairing and upgrading all of my smartphones, pc's and laptops, without formal training, but lots of practical experience!

Demas11

Lol. No big surprise. They don't seem to do well in Alberta. I lived in Calgary, that had a real good one, but the one in Edmonton was run very poorly and closed during our 5 year stay in AB. BC White Spot went back to car hop service if there was a parking lot along with pick up and delivery. 

You can get some great direction for repairs on iFixit.com

After University, I purchased a 2 bedroom condo next to a White Spot at the corner of 16 Ave NW and 19 St NW in Calgary.  I was working for Fluor Canada who is the prime contractor to design, procure, construct a menthol plant in Medicine Hat.  After my field trips to the plant site, instead of having dinner at Medicine Hat, I always have my dinner at this White Spot before going home. 

It was long time ago.  I watched Prince Charles and Diana wedding on TV in my hotel room during one of my trip to the job site.  BTW, it was 40 years ago.

There are lots of rules in working at an unionized construction site.  I was taking a heavy PLC programmer with me to check out the wirings.  I cannot drive my car inside the construction site.  They sent someone to drive my car.  I cannot pickup a screwdriver to move any wire(s).  If I find a wrong wire, I need to tell a electrician to change it for me.  If I want to work overtime to complete the testing, they sent a supervisor to watch the electrician and I working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping : Look at that antique! Awesome. I had used a TRS-80 Model III that also used tape. I didn't actually own a computer for quite some time. I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what it was...home-built, hand-me-down, spare parts...dunno. Alas. I'm still typing on this thing from 2009 that I did buy new.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@LurganIeUk : Lotus 1-2-3 and before that VisiCalc. My first exposure to micro-computers was the TRS-80. Then Intel PC's.

I still have my TRS-80 model 1 in my basement.  But my first microcomputer is Commodore PET in 1978.  You are not mistaken.  The black box on the left side of the keyboard is a cassette tape player for saving programs and data. 

popping_0-1625196857630.png

Unfortunately, I am in the middle of downsizing.  I need to get rid of my collections and my old BYTE magazines.

@Demas11 wrote:

Hello .....

The "White Spot" is no more ..... seems the Covid shut it down a few months ago 😥 .

With regards to retirement .... pushing 86 and have been repairing and upgrading all of my smartphones, pc's and laptops, without formal training, but lots of practical experience!

Demas11

Lol. No big surprise. They don't seem to do well in Alberta. I lived in Calgary, that had a real good one, but the one in Edmonton was run very poorly and closed during our 5 year stay in AB. BC White Spot went back to car hop service if there was a parking lot along with pick up and delivery. 

You can get some great direction for repairs on iFixit.com

Demas11

Hi ....

I must decline your offer, as I have had no encounters or experience with a Univac5000,

but I do wish you a speedy fix ....🤓  .

Demas11

Demas11

Hello .....

Demas11

My mainframe experience was a Digital PDP 1170 and a smaller 1140. With washing machine sized hard drives. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk : Lotus 1-2-3 and before that VisiCalc. My first exposure to micro-computers was the TRS-80. Then Intel PC's.

@Demas11 

Just looked at your website. I don't think my children or grand children would understand it. 

I did enjoy those years of MS-DOS, DbaseIII, and the predecessor of Excel (I forget the name of it). I used to do a lot do DbaseIII programming using text files. Then I moved on to a mainframe at work that controlled the warehouse location system, POs, receiving, sales, shipping etc etc. 

But that is all in the past and won't be back. 

And I agree with your analogy of car sales/purchase.  You need a version for lawyers and realtors. 

@Demas11 wrote:

G'Day z10user4

I must admit you might  be right, it was 1994 that I created pcxthyphenmicrodotcom , but in 1980 I purchased a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A for 600.00 which used a TV for the monitor ..... you can check it out on my website's "about" and "site history".

Do not worry about editing your posts .... not a problem 😎 .

Have a great and safe week ahead ...

Demas11

So how is the White Spot there? Last time we were there in 2004 there was no one there to greet us. So we moved on to Red Deer!!

I too bought a TI49/a but for only $99 (at Sears). Used a small black and white TV for monitor too!! Did not last long though. I have been retired almost as long as you but I did retire very early in age. 

You will get some good value out of PM if you join. Or have you joined?

@darlicious  this month.. Univac5000 will be a lot busier .. there are a lot more Bravos to sort out than usual.  LoL 🤣

@Demas11 

Do you have experience on the Univac5000? I could use some help at the end of the month when its spitting out community member stats. The list is never complete....Maybe you can troubleshoot?

Demas11

G'Day z10user4

I must admit you might  be right, it was 1994 that I created pcxthyphenmicrodotcom , but in 1980 I purchased a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A for 600.00 which used a TV for the monitor ..... you can check it out on my website's "about" and "site history".

Do not worry about editing your posts .... not a problem 😎 .

Have a great and safe week ahead ...

Demas11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Demas11 : You might be off by about a decade. 🙂 I don't think a web site existed in 1980.

I only mentioned the red numbers due to being able to pinpoint the location that that pic was taken. You might prefer your privacy. I will edit my posts if you do.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Demas11 

Lol....tell Julie to join the community. That's how I graduated from my flip phone to a smartphone. Look now ma....no hands!!😃

Need Help? Let's chat.