cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor data speed

phantonellen12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We are well into 2022 and the piss poor data speed is pathetic. Less than 2Mbps connection speed is ridiculous. 

For what it worth, current 35 dollars plan with 2GB bnous data is piss poor value considering you can get 6GB LTE data with Fidp for $35 dollars. 

Screenshot_20220303-105837.png

 i am not even talking about streaming videos, some webpages takes forever to load. I understand this is value brand, but Public Mobile is not a good value at all

17 REPLIES 17

@phantonellen12 

If you place value on data then the other options you've mentioned are good choices, arguably better choices than Public Mobile. If everyone in the world had the same data-centric values then Public Mobile would have no value, no merit in the world.

I don't place value on data because I get plenty of data cheaper elsewhere. I place value on phone service - talk, text, etc - which I could buy anywhere but which costs less (much less) at Public Mobile than anywhere else. Public Mobile is, for me, absolutely the best deal in town.

This has been my argument all along. Not everyone is interested in specific examples where this or that carrier offers a better data plan. Because not everyone is interested in data.

@phantonellen12 wrote:
If you want Apple to Apple comparison, then you can't add PM rewards into comparison.

Why not? Every operator has their own gimmick, their own approach to convincing consumers to buy in. At Public Mobile this happens to be Rewards or Points - which for some (like myself) translates into actual $$ discounts/savings from every bill. Public Mobile doesn't offer the best mobile data rates, that's not their gimmick - they offer the lowest-priced phone service, no other operator can beat them at this, it's their gimmick. If you're shopping for cheap apples then you're at the right place, if you're shopping for big juicy apples then (as you've already pointed out) you're better off looking elsewhere.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@phantonellen12 

And apple will never be an orange so there is no comparison.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

phantonellen12

Most of second tire carriers are offering starter plans which is pretty comparable to the Public Mobile plan. For example Koodo's $25 and $35 starter plan is exactly same as Public Mobile. I would also argue their 4G plan offers better value than PM. For example, $40 dollars with PM is 5GB 3G speed while Koodo offers $41 for 4GB 4G at much faster data speed (up to 100mpbs). If you want Apple to Apple comparison, then you can't add PM rewards into comparison.

If you are a savvy shopper, you should absolutely find deals. These migration plan has been in market for few years now. Lucky to Virgin, Chatr to Fido, PM to Koodo all offers some short of migration plan. However, PM to Koodo plan is not really well known at all. 

I don't see PM's value.. it is just not there to be honest. PM used to offer way better plan than second tire with their 90 day plan. PM now is just bearly cheaper while offering crappier services

@phantonellen12 

It's not really fair to compare special retention offers/bribes/plans from one carrier with standard market plans from another. Some Public Mobile customers still retain legacy plans (with lots of LTE data) which are comparable or better than the mentioned Fido plan. Especially if you factor in the Rewards they've accumulated over the years.

A fairer comparison would involve apples-to-apples without any cherry-picked exceptions.

I pay less than $50 per year for phone service. Effectively unlimited talk and text for my purposes. Not much data and not very fast data, but I almost never use it anyhow. (I subscribe to much cheaper, much bigger, and much faster data on Xplornet. It's foolish to subscribe to mainstream offerings which pretend wireless data is a precious treasure to be parsimoniously packaged at exorbitant prices.)

It's a fungible service - the same thing, the same quality, the same quantity- available from multiple sellers. So the "best" value is the one which costs the less. Public Mobile wins by a substantial margin.

So for me - and for many others - Public Mobile is "better" value than anything Fido or any other first-/second-tier operator can offer.

But Public Mobile doesn't offer data rates good enough for everyone. Not cheap enough, not big enough, not fast enough. So for you - and many others - who want cheaper data, more data, faster data - the "best" value will be found elsewhere.

phantonellen12

I am not trying to convince anyone switch carriers. But I genuinely feel Public Mobile plan is little to be desired. I am prefectlu happy to pay for $25GB for 3GB data. I feel this is a good plan. However, anything above this plan kind offer little value. 

But this could be just me. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@phantonellen12 

Lucky you....I went thru 18 months of pure hell with fido fraudulently charging me extras every month and breaking every WCC regulations there is.....you couldn't pay me to go back to fido!

Lucky for me pm pays me to be a very happy customer!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

phantonellen12

I don't know what kind of extra charges that you were talking about. I have been on and off with Fido, Koodo or Virgin for past decades jumping between deals. I have never been chargered extra. I will make sure these activation fees been wavied and for 99% of time I don't have to worry about these charges. 

I have two phone lines: $40 dollars for 20GB data through win back with Rogers and $35 dollars dle 6GB data through Chatr to Fido migration plan.

Both worked great

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@phantonellen12 wrote:

We are well into 2022 and the piss poor data speed is pathetic. Less than 2Mbps connection speed is ridiculous. 

For what it worth, current 35 dollars plan with 2GB bnous data is piss poor value considering you can get 6GB LTE data with Fidp for $35 dollars. 

 i am not even talking about streaming videos, some webpages takes forever to load. I understand this is value brand, but Public Mobile is not a good value at all

"3G Speed" isn't seriously intended for things like video streaming. It's adequate for browsing, music, maps, social media, stuff like that. Some webpages take forever to load regardless of your actual data performance.

Although I do agree that a nominal 3mbps isn't enough to meet demand anymore. Alas, cellular networks seem to basically support 3000kbps and full LTE and 5G and nothing in between, which is just not good enough.

The "better" plans you can get at Fido and other second-tier providers do have hidden costs and disadvantages.

They'll charge and surcharge for everything they can, suspension/reactivation, late fees, setup fees, porting fees, admin fees, etc. Public Mobile never charges anything extra for extra stuff.

They usually require a 24-month contract. With conditions, obligations, and penalties for early termination. Being locked in for a couple years is unappealing to many people, it means they can't score any better deals which might appear.

They don't offer sort of Rewards or Points. Only a few bucks a month at Public Mobile, but it all adds up, and what's wrong with saving or earning a few more dollars?

Public Mobile has a pattern of providing free gifts over the holidays and other sporadic times of year. No other provider has ever done so.

On the other side of the coin ...

Fido and other second-tier operators have actual stores with actual people their customers can interact with. You can walk in with your phone and your problems, walk out with everything fixed and working. You get smiling salesmanship, lineups, and waiting instead of stupid chatbot, support tickets, and impersonal agents - pick your evil.

You get a "free" or "discounted" (subsidized) new phone. All setup and configured (and carrier-locked) for you on the spot, working, ready to go. You get no such thing at Public Mobile, strictly BYOD or buy one of the few units they offer (and wait, wait, wait for it to eventually arrive).

You might get that bigger or wider or faster data you believe is valuable. You might get support for VoLTE, eSIM, "unlimited" data, or some other commodity you believe is valuable. Public Mobile doesn't offer any of these things so obviously any provider which does is providing "better" value.

And there are still places in Canada where one network provides good coverage and the other networks do not. Like it or not, your only choices in such locations is service from one carrier or no service at all. Public Mobile (Telus) obviously is as good or as bad a choice as all the others in these situations.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@phantonellen12 

First of all its fido. And it's $35 until you get your bill with all the extra fees, overages and other charges erroneous or otherwise.....

Account A....$0.

Account B....$0.

That's why.

@phantonellen12  At the moment, the sunset date is December 2025.   It was supposed to be earlier but it keep pushing the date.  However, with US shutting down their 3G network this year, the 2025 date seems to be more promising.  

phantonellen12

When is 3G going away? Is there a tomeline?

@phantonellen12  3G will be going away.  Also, while 3G has faster speed, it has a higher latency though. 

phantonellen12

Thanks for the tip. I set my data to 3G and I see 12Mpbs. 

Screenshot_20220303-163558.png

Question now is, when 3G data speed is like 4 times faster than LTE speed, why would Public connect to LTE in first place. This is not a good customer experience at all. 

phantonellen12

If you are using for emergency plan, why would you choose public mobile instead of using 7-11 these type of plan?  Or Koodo's $15 dollar starter plan? I mean if you look at Koodo's $15 dollar plan., It is exactly same plan. You get additional beneift of call center services. What is so compelling with PM right now? 

phantonellen12

Hold  Chatr services for at least a month. Go to Fido website and chat with Fido. Ask them Chatr to Fido special offer, they will tell you. At least when I sign up on January, they offering me $35 for 6GB ($45 dollars plan with $10 discount for 24 momths). Once you activated the Fido and port your phone number to Fido, ypu might get other offer where they offer you $45 for 20GB plan. 

I mean, I understand Public Mobile is tire 3 brand. Koodo is capping LTE speed to 42Mbps, public mobile can offer something better.

I mean if Fido is offering better plan for same price, why would anyone stay with Public Mobile, unless you have issue with credit. There is nothing compelling right not for tire 3. It is more or less big there using Public Mobile, Chatr, Lucky Mobile to lure customer to their post paid plan. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I find PM perfect solution for having emergency phone in the pocket all the time, particularly $15/$25 plans.

For any heavy usage, 'instant' live support, always connected to the Internet, people should look elsewhere.

It will be interesting if we can have a poll which plan Community participant use the most.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@phantonellen12  PM is a tier 3 provider and offer slightly cheaper plan and prepaid plan. 

PM LTE speed is capped at 3Mpbs.   You are getting only 2Mpbs, it could be because of the network in your area.  Try again in another area and you could get a better result.   You can also try to connect to 3G network by choose Network selection to 3G Only or WCDMA Only.  Speed on 3G network could go up to 12Mpbs

Yes, other Tier 2 providers like Fido or Koodo might over plans around $35 or $40.   But those are postpaid plan and some people might choose to stay with prepaid provider.  Also, PM offers $15 and $25 plan which you won't find that with Tier 2 providers.   Just different plans and providers for different needs

Btw, I think Fido no longer offer $35 plan.   Those $35 plan are usually short term flash sales and likely there is a line telling you the price is only for 12 or 24 months.  Again, different plans for different needs  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.