cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM uses cookies and location?

Wayworn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A  neighbour gave me an earful on how much they hate PM and that they can’t even login to their account but payments are taken .. blah blah blah. —- They insisted that PM website doesn’t work.——- They let me try and it was true PM website would not load. HOWEVER ——>Went into settings and ENABLED COOKIES ( they had “block all cookies” enabled) and after that was able to login to PM . The neighbour thinks that enabling cookies is a security risk and immediately blocked cookies again. ————Wonder as to the reason PM doesn’t mention to subscribers that they use cookies and location. 

4 REPLIES 4

mathlord
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I am not wrong, most websites use cookies or even require use of cookies to function, so when you "block all cookies" in some cases the website just can't work. The reason that PM doesn't mention they use cookies and location is 1. to not scare people 2. information that people don't want collected by cookies is exactly the information Public Mobile uses i.e. location of pings. It's like if you asked a doctor not to use your test results when diagnosing!

Canadian laws pertaining to use of cookies is far less stringent than other jurisdictions, EU in particular where users are presented with an option to opt out of tracking cookies.  All sites require so called functional cookies.  Block too much and nothing works.  As for location, it should be well known that location is used for address related entries in the online account.  Location can be disable if not entering/editing address data.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Wayworn 

PM doesn't mention it because that might scare some customers. The use of cookies is widespread, as we know. Then PM can sell/trade that info to other Telus affiliates.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is there any website that does not use cookies? I always assume that I am being tracked when I use the internet.

Need Help? Let's chat.