cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Stained Glass Hobby

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Moon and Mountains_0828.jpg20 in x 32.25in Stained Glass Window_0814.jpg20 in x 32.25in Stained Glass Window_0816.jpg

62 REPLIES 62

@CFPartDeux 

lol. Maybe I will do version 4. 

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LurganIeUk wrote:

BTW I have had 2 offers to do larger windows of this one. 

Stained Glass Modern V.2. green orange mauve gold_yellow blue _0898.jpg

Just a thought..... after having looked at this one a little more, as much as I like coloured glass in these things, I got to thinking it would look kinda cool if it was done completely in clear glass, but with many different textures, and completely asymmetrical. 🤔

Ok, thanks. 

@LurganIeUk 

I've searched high and low and there are no photos and only a passing mention of it in a review of the new private K-12 school now that HNM has built s new high school in Brampton Ont.

@darlicious 

I thought you might know where it would be online on the school website or??

@LurganIeUk 

Yes I'm not surprised as she was already at the very least in her '50's when I went to school there in the early '80's. I'm going to tap my dad and see if he ever took some pictures of it.

@CFPartDeux @stevenanto @darlicious 

Thanks for your comments. I have documented them to brief notes on the projects you have referred to. I plan to blend  your comments to be in my next designs be they asymmetrical or symmetrical. Should be a challenge, sort of!! BTW I have had 2 offers to do larger windows of this one. 

Also @darlicious I tried to find the work by Sister Colette but could not find. Let me know if there is a pic of it online.  It appears she has passed away and the name of the school has changed a bit. 

Stained Glass Modern V.2. green orange mauve gold_yellow blue _0898.jpg

Thank you. Much appreciated. 

@LurganIeUk 

I have been admiring from afar but since you are seeking constructive criticism I will give my opinion. Art of course is in the eye of the beholder so curb appeal is very subjective. I personally am very traditional although most would not guess that I am as I've never made safe traditional choices in life. When it comes to art what I am drawn to and what I produce is for the most part traditional, "fine art", classical training, realism and symmetry. I prefer your pieces that are symmetrical, with either the same colours in different or graduated hues or with complimentary colours. Blue and greens or green and yellows or blue and burgundy with deeper shades complimented with lighter hues. Very compelling is the yellow only with the art deco floral highlighted natural shapes.

Least appealing are the asymmetrical multi-coloured ones, the one with too many dark hued glass pieces that almost inhibit light but I do like the very first one and using contrasting textured glass can give dimension and depth to pieces that I can appreciate and can catch the light. Try putting different textures or shades of glass in an east or west facing window and watch the sun set or rise and see how the glass captures the light from start to finish and how that might influence how you use it.

My sister of course is the very opposite of me and prefers asymmetrical art from traditional cultures but using a modern method or style her opinion or her choices would likely be very different from mine. That's not to say I don't find beauty in a non traditional piece. A huge reason I chose an all girl high school an hour and a half from home (HNMHS in Mississauga) was for the fantastic art program run by Sister Colette but her awe inspiring spiritual modern art stained glass masterpiece that was one of the entire walls of the chapel made entirely from recycled green, yellow, brown and clear broken glass bottles. I have never seen anything like it since and I will never ever forget it and the sense of pure joy it invoked. Search as I might I could only find reference to it but not a single image.

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Thanks.  Of the ones you may not like....what ones and why. I am trying to improve curb appeal.

I suspect @stevenanto  MIGHT be looking at it like I am, i.e. it's not that I dislike any of them, but rather, some of them I like better than others. For instance, the one just above, titled "my latest", I really like it, especially with the few different textures of clear glass used, BUT, personally, I would find it a bit more appealing if it had more coloured glass in it.

Once again thanks for your comment. I really appreciate it. Over the years I have looked at pics of the older stained glass works from mainly the UK and some here in the older homes in Vancouver and New Westminster. I a lot of cases the windows would use only a little of coloured glass (as is most expensive) and would use one or two types of clear. Sometimes opaque and some times not, based on if the user wants to be able to see through it or only a shape or shadow through it. I am not defending my choices at all and I thank you for your comment. I am hesitant about too much colour or too many colours. And I try to stay away from the same colour being right adjacent to another of same colour. Same with the various clear pieces. So in the example that you refer to....what would it be....more colours or more of the same colours? I have a sort of glass into groups of colour like blue, mauve, pink, purple and I would stay in the group but might throw in an iridescent piece for a wow, thats nice effect!!!

@CFPartDeux 

On Craigslist only. I don't personally do much "horn tooting"....so word of mouth would be very small.  Some can sell in 2 weeks and other times I might take a year. I would say 50/50 for personal use or as a gift. 

CFPartDeux

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@Skookumchuk wrote:

Beautiful work! Do you do custom pieces?

No custom work an no repairs. I just enjoy doing what I like and eventually someone buys it. I don't like the pressure of not satisfying a request. Does that sound reasonable??

Given the highlighted portion, I'm wondering how these purchases may be happenin', i.e. do you advertise 'em somewhere(Craigslist, or local newspaper, maybe?), operating on word of mouth, or something else? 🤔

Thank you. 

CFPartDeux

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Thanks.  Of the ones you may not like....what ones and why. I am trying to improve curb appeal.

I suspect @stevenanto  MIGHT be looking at it like I am, i.e. it's not that I dislike any of them, but rather, some of them I like better than others. For instance, the one just above, titled "my latest", I really like it, especially with the few different textures of clear glass used, BUT, personally, I would find it a bit more appealing if it had more coloured glass in it.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

wow that is solid work. some of them I really like. 

My latest. 

Stained Glass Modern V.2. green orange mauve gold_yellow blue _0897.jpgStained Glass Modern V.2. green orange mauve gold_yellow blue _0899.jpgStained Glass Modern V.2. green orange mauve gold_yellow blue _0900.jpg

Another just off the bench today. Needs final clean and some sunshine behind it!!!

IMG_0861.jpgIMG_0864.jpg

@JK8 

Thank you. All self taught in the days before YouTube. Was not work related other than relaxing  my mind to be away from work. 

@LurganIeUk 

Those are absolutely beautiful. You mentioned this was a hobby. How long have you been doing this? Were you self taught or were the skills from your profession transferred over to this?  

Skookumchuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sounds reasonable 🙂 That allows you to keep the hobby enjoyable. I'll keep following your posts.

@Skookumchuk wrote:

No custom work an no repairs. I just enjoy doing what I like and eventually someone buys it. I don't like the pressure of not satisfying a request. Does that sound reasonable??

Skookumchuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ready for more?

Stained Glass. 19.75 x 32.25_0122.jpgStained Glass. 19.75 x 32.25_0118.jpgClearly Touching - - _2572.jpgClearly Touching - - _2571.jpg2017-11-30 18.23.03.jpg

Now that is a talent, very nice work!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@AE_Collector wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Nice! I’m sure that can be “fiddley” work that challenges  your patience from time to time? How long have you been at it?

AE_Collector?

A good 35 years or more. Fiddly....yes. Avoid some challenges and do what I prefer...yes. It is easy to walk away for a few days if needed. Just as long as no flux is on the metal. 

@LurganIeUk 

Nice! I’m sure that can be “fiddley” work that challenges your patience from time to time? How long have you been at it?

AE_Collector?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk   Oooh....very nice indeed!!

Thanks every one. My stained glass is not old.  I am though! All local artisan built and created by me. 

Need Help? Let's chat.