cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Mom needs a new phone, Android or iPhone?

Hey everyone,

So, my mom finally switched from a flip-phone to a smartphone about a year ago! But, it isn't the greatest phone on earth and has some issues with it (it's one of those free phones with a pre-paid plan). I myself used to use an iPhone but made the switch to Android about 2 years ago. I personally didn't justify the costs of an iPhone to Andriod when I wanted my space on the phone (you know to hold all those photos!). 

My wife has an iPhone, and she loves it. I made my wife switch from an Android phone to an iPhone cause her immediate family and cousins use an iPhone. Plus, my wife got a free iPhone via her credit card rewards! 

Am curious to know what phone you use and what brand? As well, if you had any issues.

Thanks to everyone who posts a reply. 

Tags (3)
Oracle

Re: Mom needs a new phone, Android or iPhone?

I like value and so I will never use anything that's white with a round home button.   Consistent with the value approach, I shop non mainstream android brands.  Carrier brands are avoided to the extent possible. Ideal options are those that have great software support either from the OEM and/or XDA.  Most recently, I have developed a liking to Xiaomi brand and android one editions.  My approach has never resulted in disappointment, just a lot of savings and the opportunity to use a lot of devices.  

Highlighted

@will13am, oh I don't know.  My iPadAir is SpaceGrey with a home button, and it works better than any Android tablet I've had.  Live a little, go for Rose Gold.  I also think they've stopped with the home buttons now, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Mayor / Maire

@mpcdesign tough question.  There's pros and cons to both, neither platform & ecosystem is perfect.

What is her current smartphone?  Is it Android?  If so, the learning curve for her would likely be smaller going to another Android device.  Plus given that you're most recent experience is with Android, it might be easier for you to support her.  Are there people she would benefit from being able to iMessage/FaceTime if she went iPhone?  Does she have much "investment" in either ecosystem--e.g. paid/premium apps, does she use iTunes for music, etc?  Most Google cloud services are available on either platform but the same can't really be said for Apple, though there are workaround for most things like iCloud storage and you can still get iCloud Mail (or whatever they call it) on an Android.  

It's really hard to say for sure.  I'm an Android fan myself, so I set both my mother (78) and uncle (63) up with Android phones and they seem to manage reasonably well. I get questions from time to time but they learned the basic stuff they do all the time pretty quickly.  (Calling, texting, WhatsApping, Candy crushing (mom), streaming radio (uncle), etc).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Oracle

@srlawren wrote:

@mpcdesign tough question.  There's pros and cons to both, neither platform & ecosystem is perfect.

What is her current smartphone?  Is it Android?  If so, the learning curve for her would likely be smaller going to another Android device.  Plus given that you're most recent experience is with Android, it might be easier for you to support her.  Are there people she would benefit from being able to iMessage/FaceTime if she went iPhone?  Does she have much "investment" in either ecosystem--e.g. paid/premium apps, does she use iTunes for music, etc?  Most Google cloud services are available on either platform but the same can't really be said for Apple, though there are workaround for most things like iCloud storage and you can still get iCloud Mail (or whatever they call it) on an Android.  

It's really hard to say for sure.  I'm an Android fan myself, so I set both my mother (78) and uncle (63) up with Android phones and they seem to manage reasonably well. I get questions from time to time but they learned the basic stuff they do all the time pretty quickly.  (Calling, texting, WhatsApping, Candy crushing (mom), streaming radio (uncle), etc).

Do they ask you about this app called facetime that they can't seem to locate in the app drawer?  Smiley Tongue

Oracle

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, oh I don't know.  My iPadAir is SpaceGrey with a home button, and it works better than any Android tablet I've had.  Live a little, go for Rose Gold.  I also think they've stopped with the home buttons now, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Work with me here.  You know what I mean.  BTW, I have bought a rose gold phone before, back when that color was popular.  The wife love's it.  I know we are not supposed to judge these days.  It doesn't go well with a Tim the toolman Taylor look. 

@srlawren, no, she doesn't use anything fancy on the phone. She does like the WhatsApp software. She doesn't even use voicemail but, she does want to use the camera more. She's using a Motorola one. Motorola Moto G Android smartphone. 5 MP primary camera, 1.3 MP front. Pretty basic. 

My mom is in her later 70's and all her siblings have an iPhone. But, she's fine, she doesn't want to facetime with them anyways. The immediate family all have Android, but I think the iPhone is much easier to use...well, that's when I remember when it is. 

@will13am, no she has no idea what's Facetime. But she loves her WhatsApp

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Moto G5 S Plus is a decent upgrade to that, and can be had fairly cheaply. It's nearly stock android, just moto gestures (like chop twice for the torch) that are very useful. 

I'm 61, and phones and computers have never held any terror for me, but stock android is pretty intuitive, even if your mum is a technophobe.

Mayor / Maire

@mpcdesign you mentioned she has issues with the Moto G?  What kind of issues, if I may ask?  Do you know which G model she has (there have been several generations, and most generations have a few variations in different sizes and capabilities).  The Android my mom uses is a Moto G5 Plus (not the S version that @Chanah suggests, which is also very nice) and it seems to meet her late-70's needs just fine.  The cameras on the G series aren't going win any awards but maybe the newer variations (they're in the G6's now and the G7 series is coming up pretty soon) are pretty serviceable.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.