cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint Mobile precedence?

electrical2771
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Don't know if anyone has suggested this before but could PM possibly switch to 3,6 or 12 months of pre-payment and thus offer even better deal that what we have now? Perhaps $20 per month for unlimited Canada wide calling/texting with 1GB of data?

5 REPLIES 5

@electrical2771 

Canada has a protected market. The Big Three (along with the CRTC) like their oligarchical status quo, their steady fixed revenue stream, they do not rock the boat anymore, they do not "compete" in real terms like providers in American, European, and Asian markets.

Why would they want to spend money on upgrading things or providing more capacity, more features, more service when they already have a captive market? As it stands now (and has for over a decade already), they only upgrade stuff when it translates into selling more phones and collecting more data.

A few foreign providers are emerging with better bang-for-the-buck plans which are intended for their own local subscribers but which offer unlimited roaming in Canada (and elsewhere). The market disparities are beginning to make these sorts of plans more compelling for Canadians even if they only use calling, texting, and data in Canada. I know a few people who subscribe to a Singapore-based provider and get a lot more (in Canada, and Singapore, most of Asia and the Americas, etc) for about twenty bucks a month than I can possibly buy at any price from any Canadian provider. I imagine that the CRTC will "regulate" (obstruct) these options once enough Canadian subscribers move towards them.

electrical2771
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ok, the 90 day plans are gone but the huge gulf between plans in Canada vs. the U.S. still remain enormous. Just data alone= $15/ month for 4GB of data with Mint Mobile vs. 250MB of data with P. Mobile ????

@electrical2771 

PM used to offer 90-day plans. Basically three 30-day plans added together, along with a $2 or a $5 discount (depending on plan specifics). They were part of the DIY plan building calculator.

Some PM customers might still be holding onto their legacy 90-day plans.

But 90-day plans are gone. And the plan building calculator is gone. PM made them disappear as quietly as possible and enough time has passed (with enough excuses made) that they evidently have no intention of bringing these things back.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@electrical2771 

It's doubtful seeing as they already eliminated 90 day plans.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@electrical2771    More than likely similar suggestions have been made many times before but PM is very unlikely to implement any of those, especially your suggested $20 plan, but I'd think there would be many who would upgrade to such a plan (from $15) if it was available.  edit:  Of course, many would also downgrade from the current $25 plan which offers the same features unless PM added more data to it, so even more unlikely they would consider making such a change.

Need Help? Let's chat.