cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 6

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

So who has ordered one or is going to?  I am on the verge of placing my order, just hesitant for some reason lol.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

91 REPLIES 91

@yardbirder 

Nice photo! I picked up the pixel 3 this summer for $185 specifically to use as my camera. I don't even have a working sim card in it most of the time. But it's with me all of the time....something that's difficult to do with a regular camera or even whip it out to capture a moment in time as they dont fit in your pocket! Give it another year or two and Google will have worked out any of its kinks and the pro will come down to a much more reasonable price.

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Where do you live?  That elk herd is just too majestic!  Yeah you would need the wide telephoto lens on the Pixel 6 pro to capture its full beauty.  The price is steep though, my god, $1300+ including tax just for a phone!!!  But if you are a professional photographer or a streamer, I guess it will be well worth it.  You can wait, but that elk herd might not be there... 😄 

there are definitely downsides to the new pixel 6 camera. the software over sharpens, the digital crop/zoom from 2x-3.9x(2x-7x-pixel 6) looks horrible. if I were to use the new main sensor I would most likely shoot in raw. then I can edit the photo instead of Google editing it

as for night shots the new sensor is much better. far less noise, more detail. but it's a hit and miss. it takes the pixel 6 longer to take night sight photos than the older models, causing motion blur. astrophotography mode improved a lot. I really want to test that mode out on the new camera.

the camera has a lot of potential, it just needs some kinks worked out. 

the telephoto is beautiful! I think google should have followed the other two and had a 3x camera instead of 4x to bridge the gap a little better and a max zoom of 16x. 

I might wait for the 7 or if I find a good deal on the Pro I might pick one up

@yardbirder 

in your case the pro would be perfect for you! 

yardbirder
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Zyl 

Funny you had the Pixel 2 as well, it really is an awesome phone.

I think I have read every review and watched every youtube video on both Pixel 6 models, they are both pretty impressive phones but I think the 6 Pro edges out the 6 in a few ways. I take a lot of wildlife and nature pics and the zoom capabilities are a big part of the reason I like the Pro. I just took some pics of an Elk herd with my current phone but without telephoto they weren't really that great. I never seem to have my actual camera with me when opportunities like that come around so that's one of the reasons the camera is so important to me. Slightly croppedSlightly croppedCropped a lot to show calf nursingCropped a lot to show calf nursing

yardbirder

@darlicious 

I agree the price tag is pretty high although still lower than most comparable phones. That's one of the reasons I'm waiting, generally there are sales at some point and hopefully by the time there are I'll have decided if I can live with the increased bulk. I usually keep my phones for 4 or 5 years so paying a bit more doesn't bother me too much especially with the years of android and security updates that come with the Pixel phones. That being said it would be pretty painful to pay $1200 for a phone.

The regular shot in fact quiet good already..

Zyl

@yardbirder  Funny you would mention it I had pixel 2 as well.  I love that phone.  It was awesome with all the features and the power.  It was really a step-up from the Samsung phones imo (don't kill me, samsung lovers!) And I especially loved its small size and its lightness.  The later phones are just too bulky.  I like to put my phone in my jeans pocket and I could never do that anymore after pixel 2 which is a bit of a bunner.  And with Pixel 6, you might as well get the pro because there is not much difference between the two sizes or weight.  Pixel 6 regular is like 0.1 ounces lighter than the pixel 6 pro and is just 0.3 inches smaller  LOL   But surprisingly, the Pixel 6 regular version actually has longer battery life than the Pixel 6 pro.  

Here is a side-by-side comparison from Tom's Guide:  https://www.tomsguide.com/news/google-pixel-6-vs-pixel-6-pro-biggest-differences-to-expect

Good luck! 

@yardbirder 

Staples has the Google Pixel 6 for $699 for black Friday but difficult to find stock. Price match if you can find it in stock with a retailer that sells it outright and price matches.

The telephoto lens is intriguing but worth almost $500 more? Im not that impressed with the new camera compared to my pixel 3's. Not worth the extra spend now. Better to wait a year for deeper discounts in my opinion. The previously supplied link on camera comparison convinced me its not worth the outlay currently.

From Tuesday night...

PXL_20211117_033831624.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20211117_033826559~2.jpg

yardbirder

@Zyl

Thanks for the message , I figured the wait time would be long but I'm still somewhat undecided. I want the Pixel 6 Pro because it has the best cameras including telephoto but it is really honking big. My Pixel 2 just got upgraded to Android 11 and it's still working perfectly, I get almost 2 days out of the battery most of the time and it's small and light. I'm not sure how easy a 6.7 inch phone will be to carry around much less use. Not to mention carrying it around without a case would just be suicidal and even thin cases add bulk. Other than the size it sounds perfect to me for what I want in a new phone. If only there was a test drive option, (in my dreams, right?) I may have to bribe my friend with tea and pie to let me play with her Galaxy S20, it's about the same size and I could at least see if it's comfortable or even fits in a pocket.

Zyl

My partner just ordered one.  If you really want one, I would suggest you to order one as soon as you can.  The delivery is REALLY long.  My partner just ordered one last Saturday and the estimated delivery date is Dec.  7, almost A MONTH!!!   Really expensive imo but it's supposed to deliver the best Android experience for any google phones with an even better camera and Android 12 although one upgrade to Android 12 with any pixel phone.  Just upgraded to Android 12 on my Pixel 3 and it works just as well. 

So if you are a photographer that takes a lot of cellphone pics, then this phone is worth it otherwise I dunno.  

Good luck and have fun! 

@softech 

Well that was interesting....I think all three have there downsides. I don't particularly like Samsung's colour processing and the default on zoom. While overall the iPhone performed well and I liked the colour and contrast the zoom was a deal killer. The pixel performed well overall but was a little bright and while it toned down the computation from previous pixel phone cameras I would be disappointed if I had bought the pixel 6. I think my pixel 3's camera is better...at least at night.

All three in regular camera mode were terrible at night shots and cannot compare to the previous pixels. That's a shame but it saves my pocketbook from FOMO. 

PXL_20211019_014046643.jpgPXL_20211019_014054968.NIGHT.jpg

@sebby 

Yes

sebby
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does Pixel 6 work with Public Mobile on the 3G network?

yardbirder

Thanks for the info, luckily I don't care about 5G, I don't think it's available in my area anyway so probably a good thing. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yardbirder wrote:

Wondering if anyone knows if it is compatible on Public Mobile, Definitely difficult to get clear compatibility information.

@yardbirder as others have said, it is compatible, but with an asterisk: obviously don't be expecting any 5G with Public Mobile!  (This applies equally to all recent 5G-capable devices, which is most midrange or higher phones and even some budget I believe.)  

In the case of the 6/6 Pro, it actually works to your advantage to not have 5G available, since it seems to negatively impact battery life by a noticeable amount.  I've seen a couple of reviewers do battery tests where the phone lasted about 2 hours longer (around 10 hours with 5G off vs. 8 with it on) on a 100->0% video streaming test, for example; obviously real-world mileage may vary but it should still be a noticeable difference.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

yardbirder

I'm hoping the Google store has a Black Friday sale on the Pixel 6 Pro, I find I use the camera in my phone more than any other feature so the telephoto lens and the other improvements on the Pro is a big selling point for me. When I purchased my Pixel 2 4 years ago the Google Store had the cheapest price, $200 to $300 less than anywhere else (a sale). The Pixel 2 takes pretty great photos but it looks as though the new version is amazing. Plus the 3 years of operating system updates and the 5 year security updates are an added bonus. I've been totally happy with my current phone but definitely ready for an upgrade. The 6 Pro is quite a bit bigger though, anyone have a 6.7 inch phone, is it comfortable to use? I carry mine in my pocket or purse all the time so worried the size may be problematic.

@gpixel wrote:

@yardbirder 

yes it's compatible

I agree the telephoto lens is amazing on that phone! 

Yes it is I just couldn't justify the extra cost for it.  Still waiting for my Pixel 6 to come!!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@yardbirder 

yes it's compatible

I agree the telephoto lens is amazing on that phone! 

yardbirder

I am thinking of buying the Pixel 6 Pro, I have the Pixel 2 now and I am ready for a newer version. I like the telephoto lens and some of the other details. I'm hoping there is a sale at some point in Canada. Wondering if anyone knows if it is compatible on Public Mobile, Definitely difficult to get clear compatibility information.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Wow ! Nice to see all the old pals still here 🍾🍻

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am you're welcome!  Honestly, the OP8T at it's current pricing of $679 CAD for 12/256 is a steal (as long as you don't mind aquamarine, since the silver is always out of stock).  It would be a great device.  Really it's only lacking wireless charging, which I wanted (not needed but wanted) due to our car having wireless charging pad, the colour is only so-so (would much prefer the never-available silver) and OxygenOS 12 which is really a lightly re-skinned ColorOS from Oppo.  I don't trust the company's direction as much now that Carl Pei is gone and they have merged with sister company Oppo, and I think this is the biggest turn-off for me right now.  Plus, after 3 OP (7, 5T, 3) I wanted to try something different.  But honestly, the 8T has been and still is an incredible phone, especially at the current pricing. 

I kind of liked ColorOS.  Long ago, I bought the Oneplus One and the Oppo Find 7 which are pretty much the same hardware with a branding difference.  I preferred the VOOC fast charging system over quick charge 1.0.  It is actually nice to see the two brands coming back together.  Hopefully that will mean a come back for Oppo to North America along with the large selection of phones.  At the moment, I have my eye on a Poco x3 pro.  I will see if I can catch a deal on 11.11.  

srlawren

@will13am you're welcome!  Honestly, the OP8T at it's current pricing of $679 CAD for 12/256 is a steal (as long as you don't mind aquamarine, since the silver is always out of stock).  It would be a great device.  Really it's only lacking wireless charging, which I wanted (not needed but wanted) due to our car having wireless charging pad, the colour is only so-so (would much prefer the never-available silver) and OxygenOS 12 which is really a lightly re-skinned ColorOS from Oppo.  I don't trust the company's direction as much now that Carl Pei is gone and they have merged with sister company Oppo, and I think this is the biggest turn-off for me right now.  Plus, after 3 OP (7, 5T, 3) I wanted to try something different.  But honestly, the 8T has been and still is an incredible phone, especially at the current pricing. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The price is a bit rich for my blood.  I will settle for a year old Oneplus on sale at B&H.  As a google shareholder, thank you for the business.  

srlawren

Ooops I'm late to the party here, but @ShawnC13 as you know I'm waiting on a new Pixel 6!

It's possible we may see Black Friday deals, but I don't think they're going to be extreme, at least on the non-pro.  Why do I say that?  At $800 CAD ($600 USD), the phone is already priced extremely well for a mainstream* flagship phone.  For comparison, my partner recently got a Galaxy S21 on sale for $980 in the same 8/128 config.  For $50 less than that, I ordered the 256 GB Pixel 6.  While I don't think Google is selling them at anywhere near a loss, I don't think they've priced it with much wiggle room for sales.  I could be wrong, and for all y'all that are waiting, I do hope I am wrong.  I'm thinking you might see more like a $50-100 sale if anything, but again I do hope I'm wrong.

For the 6 Pro with it's larger price tag you might see a comparatively bigger discount.  Obviously it has a bigger BOM than the non-Pro, but I would definitely expect it to be a higher-margin at regular pricing, so there should be more room to work with. 

Again, all speculation.

* is the Pixel line really mainstream?  The brand definitely is, even though Pixels historically have had a fairly minor market share.  That said, I think the fact that it's from Google is enough to qualify as a mainstream product, vs. other well-priced flagships from less mainstream (in North America) brands.

@ShawnC13 

You can also get a 10% google store credit if you join 2TB Google. Info found here...

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/google-store-free-pixel-buds-pixel-6-pro-purchase-up-500-trade-10-st...

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Pulled the trigger yet? If not you may want to wait a month or so til you do. Historically google has offered up to $200 off their latest release on Black Friday and matched by best buy. So you may want to wait. What model are you considering?

I have thought about waiting but right now they are basically giving away the Google Buds with a pre-order.  So $140 promo

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

I agree with @darlicious that there will be goods deals on Black Friday on most phones.
I am considering trading my iPhone X for the iPhone 12 or 13 if there is a smoking Black Friday deals.

Black Friday have better deals than Boxing Day in Canada.

Don’t miss camping over night in (A&B Sound) lineups on Boxing Day deals…getting too old for that.

Need Help? Let's chat.