cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Computers

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Are you a gamer?  What computer do you use, did you build your own or purchase pre-built and what are the specs in your machine?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

24 REPLIES 24

Pcpartpicker is pretty good... 

But Logical Increments is better...and best. 

What computer did you buy or did you build @ShawnC13 ? My son is looking for a new computer for fortnite on a budget.What would you suggest?

He already has a monitor.

Pediol
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It all depends on what games you play. I like online games that do not require powerful computers. For example, gambling table games are my favorite games. This brings me not only pleasure, but also money. I have a medium capacity computer.

Frosty2506
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I wasn't comparing the 6700k to the newer processors. I was just saying that it's a waste of money to buy an overclockable intel cpu and z series overclocking motherboard and to not overclock. Also I looked up your motherboard and I stand corrected. I was unaware that there were motherboards that only supported NVMe. I know that older boards with m.2 were often sata only. Most m.2 nowadays supports both. So my mistake.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Why? Because the boost to 4.2Ghz to all cores under load. Also check out the follow benchmarks. Look at the significant difference between 6700k and the newly released 9700k.

Also for the M2 slot, no that's not true. My M2 slot can only handle PCIe. Stop spreading lies.

Frosty2506

If the mother board has m.2 slots it will work with both nvme and sata based m.2 drives. And unless you use your computer for video editing or transferring large files all the time an NVMe drive is pretty much pointless. And not to sound like an ass but why would you bother buying a k skew processor and a z series board if you're not overclocking your processor. You might as well have just bought a 6700 and a b series chipset and saved yourself the money. 

Effort

Built my own a few years back. Few upgrades were thrown in here and there. In terms of gaming, there's no need to upgrade for a few more years.

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C <-- Purchased this Black Friday.

CPU: Intel 6700k @ Stock

HSF: Hyper 212 Evo

MOBO: MSI z170 SLI PLUS

RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000Mhz

GPU: Zotac GTX1080 Mini [Overclocked +200/+200]

SSD: 240G Kingston UV400

HDD: 1TB Western Digital Blue

The only thing I'm looking at currently is an NVMe drive. My motherboard can only use NVMe drives on my M2 slot. Cheapest 1TB on sale is around $200 before tax. A quality one without QLC NAND is $250 on sale.

Frosty2506

Just make sure you have a high resolution, high refresh rate monitor to take advantage of all that horsepower! 

So I got my new computer today and haven't had time to really do anything and I am trying to figure out what new games I am going to get.  So just as a comparison to my 9 yo pc that died I had to set the settings down on minimal to get 50 FPS for fortnite.  On the new computer I have all settings on Epic and limit the FPS at 180 and it pretty much stays there I might lift the limit and see where it will go to.  Now the fun begins!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

I remember walking to high school one day and finding a Space Invaders machine at the pizzeria.  Boy did I ever spend a lot of money on it!

Got an Atari console with Pong on it that was really cool with the paddle boards.

Then I started playing monochrome games on a Commodore PET computer at school.  Liked it so much I convinced my brother to pool some money and get a Commodore 64, which I think came out before the Vic 20.

Started building 8088 computers (with the old NEC V20 chips, I believe), then onto 286, 386, 486 and pentiums/athlons.  Had about 30 computers by the mid 90s with most of them networked!  Played the original Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake to death.  Was one of the first online to use a mouse keyboard combo for FPS games.

Now I occasionally do LoL and some Overwatch but my reflexes aren't as good as they used to be.  Still have my little AMD A10 with 8GB OCZ and Crucial 250 GB SSD, on one of the first solid-state-transistor motherboards on the market by Gigabyte (these things last forever!).  Built too many computers to remember - in the hundreds for sure.

Interestingly enough, the high-end gamer category is the only PC sector that is growing while all other PC-related markets are shrinking.  Not sure if this is being driven by bitcoin mining or something else.  

Oh well, thanks for triggering this journey down memory lane . . .

Frosty2506

I stumbled upon "the lounge" section and figured I could post on here to try and find some PC gamer friends since all my friends are console gamers and it's quite boring gaming by myself all the time, then I happened upon this post! If any of you want to add me an steam and play some games that'd be cool! Frosty2506 (previously frosty_762) My system is a little more modest but it's my pride and joy. I've custom built it and it consists of:

Ryzen 5 2600 (OC'd to 4.2Ghz)

Cryorig M9A cooler

2x4gb Gskill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2400 (OC'd to 3000mhz) (upgrading to 16gb soon)

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx 580 (OC'd to 1500 core,2100 mem)

Crucial MX500 500gb SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD

ASUS B350M-A mobo

EVGA 450b3 fully modular psu (because cable management)

all housed in a Coolermaster Q300L with 3 Coolermaster Jetflo 95cfm fans (red LEDs only for a dash of color because RGB is not my thing)

I believe all together it cost me a bit more than 1100 Canadian pesos lol

Salmonlips

my build is pretty modest:

ryzen 1700x

asus strix b350-f

16gb 3200 ram

nvidia gtx1060 6gb

1x250 ssd (mushkin or something i cheaped out on, shopping around for better eventually)

3x2TB hd

and of course i bought everything at the peak of costs (except the cpu)

Zia_219

I built a pretty nice pc a couple years ago. Geforce GTX 1070 with a i5 6600k. Runs nearly every game great on high settings 👍

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Mame ...lots of thats old dad comments..lol... Defender or stargate..i still have my quarter on a string....👍

@will13am wrote:

This is supposed to be a fairly descent priced prebuilt system.  Of course, there is the usual concerns of weak cooling, mobo and power supply.  It goes with the territory for prebuilt systems.  BTW, it will do solitaire lag free as reported. 

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-t730-desktop-2345-99-i9-9900k-32gb-rtx2080-256gb-ssd-2...

I went through ebates so it was 10% cash back and got mine for $2250 and it has liquid cooling and a 850w psu so I am hoping for lag free spider solitaire

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is supposed to be a fairly descent priced prebuilt system.  Of course, there is the usual concerns of weak cooling, mobo and power supply.  It goes with the territory for prebuilt systems.  BTW, it will do solitaire lag free as reported. 

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-t730-desktop-2345-99-i9-9900k-32gb-rtx2080-256gb-ssd-2...

Karnbot13

@ShawnC13 wrote:

16GB DDR4 at 2666MHz Dual Channel

256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 OC with 8GB GDDR6

Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year

850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Intel Core i7 9700K (8-Core/8-Thread, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz across all cores)

I can tell I'm not a gamer. I looked at your specs and said "What the hell would I do with that much processing power?". Haha

I think that the gaming PC industry and building your own system is a lost art.

I'm not sure if it's because we might start playing less games as we get older or if it's because some of the major games of past have stopped making PC versions, that most peple have moved on to dedicated gaming consules.  To some extent, it used to be that you would skip the game consule becaue the PC could double as both your computer for school or work, as well as your gaming system. 

As for building your own, I see that as really have slowed down.  I remember when it seems like each new generation of CPU allowed you do something that you couldn't before.  You had to upgrade your CPU because of something such as MMX or the program wouldn't work.  Now, especially since the game PC market isn't as big as before, you can often just grab any computer made in the last 10 years and still do everything with it, perhaps just with the program running a bit slower.

Those prebuilt comptuers often had some of the crappiest parts inside them, espcially the ones built simply to be sold based on low price.  Houston Technlogy motherboards, Cyrix processors, fake cache chips, Phantom Winmodems, Zoltrix sound cards, D-Link ethernet cards, tower caes that acted as sharp razor to cut your hands up while assembling (and didn't even include card slot covers meaning that you had to collect and save any extras),  power supplies that would go "pop" while in use and go up in smoke were things that you could expect from many.

Back in the day, it was dual Pentium 1GHz processors wtih 1GB of RAM in an Asus board that I was rocking.  The dual processors didn't really do much because back then, not many of the programs could take advantage of it.  It was more bragging rights than anything else.

16GB DDR4 at 2666MHz Dual Channel

256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 OC with 8GB GDDR6

Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year

850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Intel Core i7 9700K (8-Core/8-Thread, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz across all cores)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

Gaming?  I play euchre on my iPadAir, and Cosmic Cruncher and Jupiter Lander on my VIC-20.

VIC-20!!?? Wow. Seriously?

Hey does Solitaire on my Blackberry count? 🙂

Gaming?  I play euchre on my iPadAir, and Cosmic Cruncher and Jupiter Lander on my VIC-20.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It does cost a bit more to build your own.  The prebuilt units have crappy parts and don't lend themselves to future component upgrades.  Also the prebuilt motherboards don't have all the BIOS tweaks that usually come with separately purchased motherboards.  It is not a gaming computer if you can't overclock it until it is hitting thermal limits.  Even my HTPC is overclocked by 30%. 

@will13am wrote:

Everything you ever wanted to know...  It is a great source to pick out parts with recommended retailers offering the best price.  The system builder checks for compatibility also.  You won't be left in the cold with round widgets that won't fit into square holes. 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/

Great site, use it quite often.  I was just seeing what others were running.  I built my last pc but my latest purchase I couldn't piece it together for the price I paid for it.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Everything you ever wanted to know...  It is a great source to pick out parts with recommended retailers offering the best price.  The system builder checks for compatibility also.  You won't be left in the cold with round widgets that won't fit into square holes. 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/

Need Help? Let's chat.