cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oracle

Gaming Computers

Are you a gamer?  What computer do you use, did you build your own or purchase pre-built and what are the specs in your machine?

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Oracle

Re: Gaming Computers

Everything you ever wanted to know...  It is a great source to pick out parts with recommended retailers offering the best price.  The system builder checks for compatibility also.  You won't be left in the cold with round widgets that won't fit into square holes. 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/

Oracle

@will13am wrote:

Everything you ever wanted to know...  It is a great source to pick out parts with recommended retailers offering the best price.  The system builder checks for compatibility also.  You won't be left in the cold with round widgets that won't fit into square holes. 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/

Great site, use it quite often.  I was just seeing what others were running.  I built my last pc but my latest purchase I couldn't piece it together for the price I paid for it.

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Oracle

It does cost a bit more to build your own.  The prebuilt units have crappy parts and don't lend themselves to future component upgrades.  Also the prebuilt motherboards don't have all the BIOS tweaks that usually come with separately purchased motherboards.  It is not a gaming computer if you can't overclock it until it is hitting thermal limits.  Even my HTPC is overclocked by 30%. 

Gaming?  I play euchre on my iPadAir, and Cosmic Cruncher and Jupiter Lander on my VIC-20.

Mayor / Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

Gaming?  I play euchre on my iPadAir, and Cosmic Cruncher and Jupiter Lander on my VIC-20.

VIC-20!!?? Wow. Seriously?

Hey does Solitaire on my Blackberry count? Smiley Happy

Oracle

16GB DDR4 at 2666MHz Dual Channel

256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 OC with 8GB GDDR6

Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year

850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Intel Core i7 9700K (8-Core/8-Thread, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz across all cores)

I think that the gaming PC industry and building your own system is a lost art.

I'm not sure if it's because we might start playing less games as we get older or if it's because some of the major games of past have stopped making PC versions, that most peple have moved on to dedicated gaming consules.  To some extent, it used to be that you would skip the game consule becaue the PC could double as both your computer for school or work, as well as your gaming system. 

As for building your own, I see that as really have slowed down.  I remember when it seems like each new generation of CPU allowed you do something that you couldn't before.  You had to upgrade your CPU because of something such as MMX or the program wouldn't work.  Now, especially since the game PC market isn't as big as before, you can often just grab any computer made in the last 10 years and still do everything with it, perhaps just with the program running a bit slower.

Those prebuilt comptuers often had some of the crappiest parts inside them, espcially the ones built simply to be sold based on low price.  Houston Technlogy motherboards, Cyrix processors, fake cache chips, Phantom Winmodems, Zoltrix sound cards, D-Link ethernet cards, tower caes that acted as sharp razor to cut your hands up while assembling (and didn't even include card slot covers meaning that you had to collect and save any extras),  power supplies that would go "pop" while in use and go up in smoke were things that you could expect from many.

Back in the day, it was dual Pentium 1GHz processors wtih 1GB of RAM in an Asus board that I was rocking.  The dual processors didn't really do much because back then, not many of the programs could take advantage of it.  It was more bragging rights than anything else.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ShawnC13 wrote:

16GB DDR4 at 2666MHz Dual Channel

256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 OC with 8GB GDDR6

Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year

850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Intel Core i7 9700K (8-Core/8-Thread, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz across all cores)

I can tell I'm not a gamer. I looked at your specs and said "What the hell would I do with that much processing power?". Haha

Oracle

This is supposed to be a fairly descent priced prebuilt system.  Of course, there is the usual concerns of weak cooling, mobo and power supply.  It goes with the territory for prebuilt systems.  BTW, it will do solitaire lag free as reported. 

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo-canada-t730-desktop-2345-99-i9-9900k-32gb-rtx2080-256gb-ssd-2...